Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2021-07-27 8:37 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by juniperjen

Hey Manatees! New developments over here - i just registered for Muskoka 70.3 which is now a go in Ontario after Tremblant was cancelled for September. I now have 5 weeks to go to get myself in in HIM shape which actually isn't too crazy - I just haven't swum in some time since i live in the land of lockdown which turns out to be good since we have very high vaccination rate. 

What a crazy year!!!

Glad to hear you will be able to put the training and fitness to use!

2021-07-27 8:38 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella This is the confession portion of my story. I tried to filled the old one with the compressed fix-a-flat. It continued to leak. I don't know why I did this, but I then decided to take the core out of the presta valve. The fix-a-flat shot out like Old Faithful. I of course performed this feat in my basement. Nothing in my basement went without fix-a-flat (including me) on it.
Eeek!  Hope it wasn't too difficult to get yourself and the basement cleaned up.

2021-07-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Well, still no word from IM Corp. but when I checked the tracker again I do now have a finish time and place, so apparently it was their issue. 10th in AG (out of 70 finishers) in 5:30:26. Not the best race and not the worst, but glad I at least got credit for finishing that turkey! Will work on race report soon.
Congratulations!!

2021-07-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey Manatees! New developments over here - i just registered for Muskoka 70.3 which is now a go in Ontario after Tremblant was cancelled for September. I now have 5 weeks to go to get myself in in HIM shape which actually isn't too crazy - I just haven't swum in some time since i live in the land of lockdown which turns out to be good since we have very high vaccination rate. 

What a crazy year!!!

How was Lake Placid?

2021-07-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania

What a crazy year!!!

How was Lake Placid?

For me: fantastic!  Biking there is second to none, IMO.  The weather suits me and the mountains, forests, and lakes call me.  As far as the IM, all the racers my friends and I were tracking finished, although my pro friend didn't have the best day.  Also, I understand there was a lot of confusion and extra miles amongst quite a few contestants with the altered run course.  They had to change the layout of all of the race including the swim because the town is tearing out the old speed skating oval and replacing it with a more current, up-to-standards version, so this affected all aspects of the race because that is where transition typically sits.

2021-07-28 4:34 PM

User image

Expert

What a crazy year!!!

How was Lake Placid?

For me: fantastic!  Biking there is second to none, IMO.  The weather suits me and the mountains, forests, and lakes call me.  As far as the IM, all the racers my friends and I were tracking finished, although my pro friend didn't have the best day.  Also, I understand there was a lot of confusion and extra miles amongst quite a few contestants with the altered run course.  They had to change the layout of all of the race including the swim because the town is tearing out the old speed skating oval and replacing it with a more current, up-to-standards version, so this affected all aspects of the race because that is where transition typically sits.

Glad you enjoyed it.
The downhill on the bike course is the most fun I've ever had at an Ironman. Lake Placid is such a great venue, I hope they figure out a way to keep the race there.

2021-07-29 11:54 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

How was Lake Placid?

Nice...I read a race report from our captain at the Kiwami Racing Team.  He had a great race at Lake Placid finishing 4th overall in the Pro division and qualifying for Kona.  I think he was something like 33rd out of 33 pros at IM Tulsa.   He still crushed my fastest Age Group All-American friends from the Tusa Area Triathletes Club at IM Tulsa beating them by almost an hour but I was happy to see my pro friend at the front of the pro pack at LP.

The bike course makes or break the Triathlon course.  With a perfect bike course, it sounds like an amazing race. 

2021-07-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

July 31-1
Jim - Paul Bunyan Challenge Sprint on Saturday (take 2!!! maybe.)

Dooo eeettt!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2021-07-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 31-1

Dooo eeettt!!!

Go, Jim!!  

2021-07-30 1:32 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Excitement on the home front: one of the chickens finally laid an egg!  I think it may have been Ethel, I'm not sure.  But she needs to learn some proper hen skills and fast: she seems to have had it while perched on the roost so when it fell to the floor it cracked/smashed.  You know, because apparently all the fresh, soft, clean bedding I put in the nesting boxes wasn't appropriate.  (eye roll)  How disappointing but still exciting!

2021-07-30 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Excitement on the home front: one of the chickens finally laid an egg!  I think it may have been Ethel, I'm not sure.  But she needs to learn some proper hen skills and fast: she seems to have had it while perched on the roost so when it fell to the floor it cracked/smashed.  You know, because apparently all the fresh, soft, clean bedding I put in the nesting boxes wasn't appropriate.  (eye roll)  How disappointing but still exciting!

Go Ethel!

2021-07-30 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

July 31-1

Dooo eeettt!!!

I'm not quite sure what a giant lumberjack has to do with triathlon - but go Jim!!

2021-07-30 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

She showed you!

2021-07-30 7:50 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Go Jim!

Go Ethel!

2021-07-31 8:36 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

July 31-1

Dooo eeettt!!!

Have a great race Jim!
2021-07-31 2:47 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by fortissimo

Racing Manatees!!!

July 31-1

Dooo eeettt!!!

Have a great race Jim!
Hope your race was good!!

2021-07-31 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Oh, Ethel!!
2021-08-01 10:25 AM
in reply to: #5273965

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Been a crazy 10 days...

Part 1-My DH (who is a Tour caddie) travels in a Class B Mercedes Sprinter RV. He was in Springfield, MO last week when smoke filled the interior and upon throwing open the hood, there was oil everywhere. A tow to the only Sprinter repair shop in town and the consensus was a a very screwed up piston and rod. The option is a rebuilt engine and we were quoted $19,000 (NOT a typo) for engine and install.

After the shock wore off and we realized we couldn't swing $19k right now, I managed to have the van shipped home. Our local mechanic can do it for $13k (the engine cost alone is $11k and that's with the old engine returned as a core). At least we now have time to figure it all out.

Part 2--I have hooded eyelids. My upper eyelids have been slowly creeping down, down, down over the past 10 years. I never really minded what they look like, but in the past 5 years they consistently chafed on long runs (and now they chafe on MTB rides) and most recently were sitting on my eyelashes which started to impair my vision a tiny bit and my eyelashes couldn't filter dust & dirt. Thus, I went back to school shopping at the plastic surgeon's office last week.

I'm sporting 2 lovely black eyes now, and have 8th grade Open House tomorrow night. LOL.

Another week on the "injured reserve" list before I can do some physical activity. The recovery hasn't been too bad. Did I mention it was done under local anesthesia? Being awake and knowing they were cutting my eyelid from corner to corner was horrifying as was hearing ALL the sounds.
2021-08-01 10:35 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Been a crazy 10 days... Part 1-My DH (who is a Tour caddie) travels in a Class B Mercedes Sprinter RV. He was in Springfield, MO last week when smoke filled the interior and upon throwing open the hood, there was oil everywhere. A tow to the only Sprinter repair shop in town and the consensus was a a very screwed up piston and rod. The option is a rebuilt engine and we were quoted $19,000 (NOT a typo) for engine and install. After the shock wore off and we realized we couldn't swing $19k right now, I managed to have the van shipped home. Our local mechanic can do it for $13k (the engine cost alone is $11k and that's with the old engine returned as a core). At least we now have time to figure it all out. Part 2--I have hooded eyelids. My upper eyelids have been slowly creeping down, down, down over the past 10 years. I never really minded what they look like, but in the past 5 years they consistently chafed on long runs (and now they chafe on MTB rides) and most recently were sitting on my eyelashes which started to impair my vision a tiny bit and my eyelashes couldn't filter dust & dirt. Thus, I went back to school shopping at the plastic surgeon's office last week. I'm sporting 2 lovely black eyes now, and have 8th grade Open House tomorrow night. LOL. Another week on the "injured reserve" list before I can do some physical activity. The recovery hasn't been too bad. Did I mention it was done under local anesthesia? Being awake and knowing they were cutting my eyelid from corner to corner was horrifying as was hearing ALL the sounds.

Wow! That is some repair bill!! My mother had hooded eyelids and in her 80s ended up having to have them attended to bc they interfered with her ability to read. Before she had the surgery she basically had to keep her lid pushed up with a finger as she read. Quite an annoyance!! It sounds like you had a different type of surgery than she did as she never had black eyes -she had one lid done at a time as both weren't needed the time of the first surgery. I have a bit of a hooded eye too so expect at some point in my life that will be my lot too.

2021-08-01 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by glfprncsBeen a crazy 10 days...Part 1-My DH (who is a Tour caddie) travels in a Class B Mercedes Sprinter RV. He was in Springfield, MO last week when smoke filled the interior and upon throwing open the hood, there was oil everywhere. A tow to the only Sprinter repair shop in town and the consensus was a a very screwed up piston and rod. The option is a rebuilt engine and we were quoted $19,000 (NOT a typo) for engine and install.After the shock wore off and we realized we couldn't swing $19k right now, I managed to have the van shipped home. Our local mechanic can do it for $13k (the engine cost alone is $11k and that's with the old engine returned as a core). At least we now have time to figure it all out.Part 2--I have hooded eyelids. My upper eyelids have been slowly creeping down, down, down over the past 10 years. I never really minded what they look like, but in the past 5 years they consistently chafed on long runs (and now they chafe on MTB rides) and most recently were sitting on my eyelashes which started to impair my vision a tiny bit and my eyelashes couldn't filter dust & dirt. Thus, I went back to school shopping at the plastic surgeon's office last week.I'm sporting 2 lovely black eyes now, and have 8th grade Open House tomorrow night. LOL. Another week on the "injured reserve" list before I can do some physical activity. The recovery hasn't been too bad. Did I mention it was done under local anesthesia? Being awake and knowing they were cutting my eyelid from corner to corner was horrifying as was hearing ALL the sounds.
You need a story to tell the 8th graders! Make it a good one.That is a hell of a repair bill. But cheaper than a new sprinter!I am not sure i would be able to do that surgery hearing everything!!! You are brave. Heal up well.
2021-08-02 10:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by glfprncs Been a crazy 10 days... Part 1-My DH (who is a Tour caddie) travels in a Class B Mercedes Sprinter RV. He was in Springfield, MO last week when smoke filled the interior and upon throwing open the hood, there was oil everywhere. A tow to the only Sprinter repair shop in town and the consensus was a a very screwed up piston and rod. The option is a rebuilt engine and we were quoted $19,000 (NOT a typo) for engine and install. After the shock wore off and we realized we couldn't swing $19k right now, I managed to have the van shipped home. Our local mechanic can do it for $13k (the engine cost alone is $11k and that's with the old engine returned as a core). At least we now have time to figure it all out. Part 2--I have hooded eyelids. My upper eyelids have been slowly creeping down, down, down over the past 10 years. I never really minded what they look like, but in the past 5 years they consistently chafed on long runs (and now they chafe on MTB rides) and most recently were sitting on my eyelashes which started to impair my vision a tiny bit and my eyelashes couldn't filter dust & dirt. Thus, I went back to school shopping at the plastic surgeon's office last week. I'm sporting 2 lovely black eyes now, and have 8th grade Open House tomorrow night. LOL. Another week on the "injured reserve" list before I can do some physical activity. The recovery hasn't been too bad. Did I mention it was done under local anesthesia? Being awake and knowing they were cutting my eyelid from corner to corner was horrifying as was hearing ALL the sounds.
Ooof, the Sprinter repair bill is a doozy!  Thankfully he was OK and there wasn't a major fire.

Wishing you a speedy recovery after your surgery!  Local anesthesia for such a procedure makes me cringe.  Brave woman, you are!

2021-08-02 10:04 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Your cheers must have made it to Ethel's ears: this morning she laid her egg in the nesting box and it was perfect and beautiful!  So proud of her!

2021-08-02 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Your cheers must have made it to Ethel's ears: this morning she laid her egg in the nesting box and it was perfect and beautiful!  So proud of her!

What a smart chicken!

2021-08-05 2:52 AM

thanks
2021-08-05 9:13 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

First eggs are always exciting.  I have found a few eggs under the roost smashed in the morning too.  Usually soft-shelled eggs.  The eggs can be a little unpredictable for the first 2 weeks while their system is making adjustments to egg production.  Did you weigh the egg?  What color is it? What type of chicken is Ethel? How are you going to prepare the egg?  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2021-08-05 9:14 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74