User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by cdban66

Week 1 mid week check in. How goes it JoGoers? I am half way to my weekly goal, with a few rides on the schedule, so I should be good. And after a trip tp Mt Dora this weekend, I've hit my elevation goal for the entire challenge  Take that Janyne!

"Mount" Dora.

I'm doing pretty well. I'm up-to-date on my workouts.  I need to be sure to the that fourth mobility workout of the week in this week and I really need to nail my bike workouts if I'm going to to Tour of Sufferlandria next month.

500+ feet of punchy climbing!!!!! WooHoo. 

OK, I don't think any one "climb" topped 30 ft, but who is going to argue semantics? That is nearly as much elevation as I see in a year here in Englewood.

I'm just teasing!

I know, I know, it's all good. 

2021-01-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Cypress, Texas

Proof of Life. 

I have spent 10 days this year House Hunting in Houston. We made two offers last week on homes but didn't get either of them.  The second one we were $13K over list price but there were 7 offers.  I hope interest rates go back up.  If they would double or triple that would be all good with me because it would keep all the people that are upgrading from their 6-1/2% loans they got 15 years ago, when interest rates were at historic lows, to the current 2-1/2% loans so they can get a bigger home for the same payment.  It is really crazy.  Nothing we looked at two weeks ago is still on the market.  Half of the stuff we looked at four days ago is sold.  I don't know if we are going to get anything with this housing market.

So with travel, I have been missing half of my workouts.  The hotel I was at 2-1/2 weeks ago had a nice spin bike that I used for my bike training.  It didn't have Watts, so I spent more time making adjustments than riding but I got my HR up and went through the motions.  Last week all we had was a sit-down bike with your hands anchored under the seat and your feet up at waist height.  That sitdown bike worked muscles I don't usually use and I was sore after that workout.  On Saturday I was home and did a 20-minute trainer ride.  It had a lot of long intervals at high intensity.  I survived them all, but when I got off the bike my felt leg locked up.  I have never experienced that on a training ride (just long course races).  The first places to lock up were the muscles that were sore after the sit-down bike work out.  On Monday I has some running speed work, but died before I got through all of them (likely due to the locked-up legs on Saturday still affecting me).  Today was a workout, unlike anything I have ever done before.  It had me doing 5 minutes above FTP then 1 minute of recovery, then jumping off the bike and doing squats for two minutes then jumping back onto the bike and doing the 5' super threshold intervals then back to the squats. It was kind of crazy jumping on and off the bike.  After the bike, it had a 10K Brick Run.  Ya...that was very different from anything I have done before.      

2021-01-19 2:59 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
It took a while, but I just noticed your location Chris. An uncle of mine has a place in Englewood and, in a normal year, spends the winter there. I was there for a visit just over a decade ago, and during the visit my wife and I took a day trip up to a park in Orlando too. Nice country around there!
2021-01-19 3:02 PM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Micawber It took a while, but I just noticed your location Chris. An uncle of mine has a place in Englewood and, in a normal year, spends the winter there. I was there for a visit just over a decade ago, and during the visit my wife and I took a day trip up to a park in Orlando too. Nice country around there!

Did you go there for hill training?

2021-01-19 3:04 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Proof of Life. 

I have spent 10 days this year House Hunting in Houston. We made two offers last week on homes but didn't get either of them.  The second one we were $13K over list price but there were 7 offers.  I hope interest rates go back up.  If they would double or triple that would be all good with me because it would keep all the people that are upgrading from their 6-1/2% loans they got 15 years ago, when interest rates were at historic lows, to the current 2-1/2% loans so they can get a bigger home for the same payment.  It is really crazy.  Nothing we looked at two weeks ago is still on the market.  Half of the stuff we looked at four days ago is sold.  I don't know if we are going to get anything with this housing market.

So with travel, I have been missing half of my workouts.  The hotel I was at 2-1/2 weeks ago had a nice spin bike that I used for my bike training.  It didn't have Watts, so I spent more time making adjustments than riding but I got my HR up and went through the motions.  Last week all we had was a sit-down bike with your hands anchored under the seat and your feet up at waist height.  That sitdown bike worked muscles I don't usually use and I was sore after that workout.  On Saturday I was home and did a 20-minute trainer ride.  It had a lot of long intervals at high intensity.  I survived them all, but when I got off the bike my felt leg locked up.  I have never experienced that on a training ride (just long course races).  The first places to lock up were the muscles that were sore after the sit-down bike work out.  On Monday I has some running speed work, but died before I got through all of them (likely due to the locked-up legs on Saturday still affecting me).  Today was a workout, unlike anything I have ever done before.  It had me doing 5 minutes above FTP then 1 minute of recovery, then jumping off the bike and doing squats for two minutes then jumping back onto the bike and doing the 5' super threshold intervals then back to the squats. It was kind of crazy jumping on and off the bike.  After the bike, it had a 10K Brick Run.  Ya...that was very different from anything I have done before.      

I'm sorry that the housing market is so nuts.  That does not sound like fun at all   Then again, jumping off the bike to do squats followed by more intervals followed by a 10k brick run...

2021-01-19 3:07 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Proof of Life. 

I'm sorry that the housing market is so nuts.  That does not sound like fun at all   Then again, jumping off the bike to do squats followed by more intervals followed by a 10k brick run...

Also sorry to hear about your house hunting troubles. It does feel like it's this way in many places. Here, apparently people are leaving the city in record numbers but home prices are still up significantly and selling so fast they may or may not even make it on the market. 

Glad you're still getting to what you can exercise-wise. 

2021-01-19 3:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Finally got myself some new bike shoes. I ended up with tri shoes not because that was what i was really after but because similar to housing it seems bike gear is in short supply. i ordered a pair of road shoes first for curbside pick up (we are in lockdown again/still) but i ordered the wrong size ... but when i went to see about another size they were all out of my size. And many of the other options were also out of stock in my size so i went to another bike shop close by and managed to get a pair of LG tri shoes in my size. They seem to fit! They won't be the best for training in the fall as they are so vented and my feet will freeze in the Canadian climate ... but good for indoors and summer races! I am really not likely to do a flying mount or dismount so .... 

so, i'll be installing some cleats and riding tonight. I'll have to throw out my old ones or knowing me i'll try to wear those sad falling apart ones at some point. 

Edited by juniperjen 2021-01-19 3:13 PM
2021-01-19 3:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Pennsylvania
2021-01-19 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Proof of Life. 

x2 to all of this! That workout sound soul crushing!

2021-01-19 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Finally got myself some new bike shoes. I ended up with tri shoes not because that was what i was really after but because similar to housing it seems bike gear is in short supply. i ordered a pair of road shoes first for curbside pick up (we are in lockdown again/still) but i ordered the wrong size ... but when i went to see about another size they were all out of my size. And many of the other options were also out of stock in my size so i went to another bike shop close by and managed to get a pair of LG tri shoes in my size. They seem to fit! They won't be the best for training in the fall as they are so vented and my feet will freeze in the Canadian climate ... but good for indoors and summer races! I am really not likely to do a flying mount or dismount so .... 

so, i'll be installing some cleats and riding tonight. I'll have to throw out my old ones or knowing me i'll try to wear those sad falling apart ones at some point. 

Funny, I had not even considered that bike shoes would be hard to find even though I know all things bike are! Guess that’s another excuse for me not to shoe hunt.

Enjoy your ride.

2021-01-19 3:42 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Here's an interview on ST with my former coach: https://www.slowtwitch.com/Interview/The_Determined_Zwift_Badge_Hunter__7863.html 

Wow, he is intense and quite the athlete. 

2021-01-19 3:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

Originally posted by Micawber It took a while, but I just noticed your location Chris. An uncle of mine has a place in Englewood and, in a normal year, spends the winter there. I was there for a visit just over a decade ago, and during the visit my wife and I took a day trip up to a park in Orlando too. Nice country around there!

LOL !!

Edit: I did actually get some training. Even though it was February, I had a great swim in the Gulf one afternoon.

Edited by Micawber 2021-01-19 4:03 PM
2021-01-19 8:15 PM

User image

Expert

My last pair of bike shoes were LG tri shoes. They were comfortable and held up well. The shoe help up well, just the uppers started to wear after several years. If your pair was as good as mine, I think you will like them.
2021-01-20 5:31 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Micawber

LOL !! Edit: I did actually get some training. Even though it was February, I had a great swim in the Gulf one afternoon.

ARGH, that is some cold water!!! 

How can you find the Florida locals on the beach in February? They're at home. 

2021-01-20 8:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats to the people getting their vaccines/appointments - Melanie etc. Don't feel guilty at all but just remember, when I'm dead last next September and I post my pic on FB I want a like from every one of you :D

So sorry for your loss Robin. It's so hard

Hope everyone is having a good week!
2021-01-20 12:09 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

While I mock Mount Dora, I sit safely inside my house going up virtual hills on Zwift.  Yesterday, I gathered some of my useful Zwift links and added them to Notes section at the bottom of my training blog.  I thought that I'd share them with the group in case any other Zwifters find them to be useful

Zwift stuff

2021-01-20 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jen, congrats on the shoes, finding anything bike related seems to be a major happening at this point. I like my LG tri shoes, if I recall, they came with both warm and cold weather inserts, although I really only needed one set  I hope yours last as well as mine have, because I think I am on year 8 or 9 with these.

2021-01-20 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Proof of Life. 

Good gravy, that's a bit much on the housing market. Is renting an option for a year or so? It might be beneficial, although who knows what it will look like in a year. I hope it all works out, good luck with it.

2021-01-20 4:23 PM

Proof of Life. 

A close friend of mine is leaving up here to move back east. He put his house on the market and within a pretty short period of time he had 7 offers. Two of the offers were above asking price, and then they also set a ceiling limit that they said they would exceed any higher offer by $1000. So he had two competing offers that ratcheted each other up in $1000 increments until the one offer willing to go higher won out. Pretty crazy with rates as low as they are right now. I refinanced last year to just above 3%, but a co-worker of mine refinanced last week at 2.25%. That's insanely low. I remember when my wife and I bought our first house we told them we could only afford it if we got 7.25%. If the rate locked at 7.5%, we were out. We got the house, but it's crazy to think how far down the rates have come.
2021-01-20 7:47 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Proof of Life. 

I have spent 10 days this year House Hunting in Houston. 

I feel your pain - I bought my home in October and the process was a lot like what you described. Some homes my realtor would get a heads up about were selling even before they were put on the market. One home I walked out of and in the driveway, the sellers realtor says "they already have 5 offers, 2 over asking. They'll make a decision in 30 minutes if you want to get an offer in." That home had been on the market for less than 24 hours. Must be nice to be selling right now, eh?!

I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!

2021-01-21 12:24 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

Proof of Life. 

I have spent 10 days this year House Hunting in Houston. 

I feel your pain - I bought my home in October and the process was a lot like what you described. Some homes my realtor would get a heads up about were selling even before they were put on the market. One home I walked out of and in the driveway, the sellers realtor says "they already have 5 offers, 2 over asking. They'll make a decision in 30 minutes if you want to get an offer in." That home had been on the market for less than 24 hours. Must be nice to be selling right now, eh?!

I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!

Ugh... those stories are not helpful... Sorry you bith had to go through such process. i was thinking of starting to save soem $$ for downpayment, but 1) the process scares me, and 2) in the area I need to be in (becuase of my son's school) there is no way I will ever be able to afford it anyway...

2021-01-21 2:54 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Cypress, Texas

Good news.  We won a bib yesterday for a house. 

My wife saw it pop up as a new listing and spent all day trying to get ahold of our realtor.  The relator finally got back with her late that night and said she would try to set something up for us to see it that weekend but when she got with the selling agent they said they had 10 viewings the first day and 10 offers so they wouldn't make a viewing appointment with us.  They did let our relator go over and do a video with her phone to send to us.  So we made an offer $15K over list an hour later.  The sellers debated for 4 hours between our offer and another offer, but we got it.  My wife and kids drove 6-1/2 hours down this morning to see what we are buying. They will be there for home inspections tomorrow and then drive back.  I am so happy to be through that. 

I will have two tracks within a mile of where I live as well as a community lap swimming pool. 

I think the closes place to do any outdoor cycling like I am used to is about 25 minutes away (no bike lanes or shoulders on any of the roads closer than that). 

I have already found about 30 Strave Segments within a few miles of me. 

Things should be exciting.  So I am giving up long open roads for cycling but gaining lap swimming pools, 400m tracks, and Strava users on the same running paths as me.  

2021-01-21 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My wife saw it pop up as a new listing and spent all day trying to get ahold of our realtor.  The relator finally got back with her late that night and said she would try to set something up for us to see it that weekend but when she got with the selling agent they said they had 10 viewings the first day and 10 offers so they wouldn't make a viewing appointment with us.  They did let our relator go over and do a video with her phone to send to us.  So we made an offer $15K over list an hour later.  The sellers debated for 4 hours between our offer and another offer, but we got it.  My wife and kids drove 6-1/2 hours down this morning to see what we are buying. They will be there for home inspections tomorrow and then drive back.  I am so happy to be through that. 

I will have two tracks within a mile of where I live as well as a community lap swimming pool. 

I think the closes place to do any outdoor cycling like I am used to is about 25 minutes away (no bike lanes or shoulders on any of the roads closer than that). 

Things should be exciting.  So I am giving up long open roads for cycling but gaining lap swimming pools, 400m tracks, and Strava users on the same running paths as me.  

Congratulations! It's good to have place to live and the location sounds about as ideal as you can get.

2021-01-21 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Congratulations! It's good to have place to live and the location sounds about as ideal as you can get.

x2! Congrats and a what a relief! :D 

2021-01-21 4:03 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

that is fantastic!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74