of 74

2021-04-13 10:39 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!!
DON'T go enter the so-called IM Oregon 70.3 unless you really don't care about your money and want to continue subsidizing IM Corp. I'd thought it was for 2022 and was still hesitant to commit; it's for 2021. Anyone even thinking about it should be aware that NONE of our local events, even small-scale ones, have committed to holding actual (as opposed to virtual) races. I am still waiting to register or confirm deferred registration for July and August events. Our numbers are currently trending the wrong way, and Oregon (plus neighboring Washington) has some of the strictest Covid rules in the country. I don't see that changing in the next few months. I'm giving it a year; if the race is still offered in 2022 in real format, I might consider it. Course would be stunning and our July weather is almost always perfect.

We had a Covid case at school this week. No one's been told who it is, and I have no idea if anyone is quarantining. Building is still open and kids are up there for classes 2 days a week for each "cohort". I've been up there a few times to set up for my online kids and meet with a teaching partner (who's not the Covid case) to plan, but otherwise mostly working solo in a little office out in the portable and from home. Hopefully vaccine works and/or I haven't been exposed. What a cluster.....

2021-04-14 6:22 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner DON'T go enter the so-called IM Oregon 70.3 unless you really don't care about your money and want to continue subsidizing IM Corp. I'd thought it was for 2022 and was still hesitant to commit; it's for 2021. Anyone even thinking about it should be aware that NONE of our local events, even small-scale ones, have committed to holding actual (as opposed to virtual) races. I am still waiting to register or confirm deferred registration for July and August events. Our numbers are currently trending the wrong way, and Oregon (plus neighboring Washington) has some of the strictest Covid rules in the country. I don't see that changing in the next few months. I'm giving it a year; if the race is still offered in 2022 in real format, I might consider it. Course would be stunning and our July weather is almost always perfect. We had a Covid case at school this week. No one's been told who it is, and I have no idea if anyone is quarantining. Building is still open and kids are up there for classes 2 days a week for each "cohort". I've been up there a few times to set up for my online kids and meet with a teaching partner (who's not the Covid case) to plan, but otherwise mostly working solo in a little office out in the portable and from home. Hopefully vaccine works and/or I haven't been exposed. What a cluster.....

I'd say I can't believe IM would have people sign up for a race everyone knows is unlikely to happen, but of course, I believe it!

Crazy and frustrating about the school covid situation - thank goodness you've been vaccinated.

2021-04-14 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by Hot Runner DON'T go enter the so-called IM Oregon 70.3 unless you really don't care about your money and want to continue subsidizing IM Corp. I'd thought it was for 2022 and was still hesitant to commit; it's for 2021. Anyone even thinking about it should be aware that NONE of our local events, even small-scale ones, have committed to holding actual (as opposed to virtual) races. I am still waiting to register or confirm deferred registration for July and August events. Our numbers are currently trending the wrong way, and Oregon (plus neighboring Washington) has some of the strictest Covid rules in the country. I don't see that changing in the next few months. I'm giving it a year; if the race is still offered in 2022 in real format, I might consider it. Course would be stunning and our July weather is almost always perfect. We had a Covid case at school this week. No one's been told who it is, and I have no idea if anyone is quarantining. Building is still open and kids are up there for classes 2 days a week for each "cohort". I've been up there a few times to set up for my online kids and meet with a teaching partner (who's not the Covid case) to plan, but otherwise mostly working solo in a little office out in the portable and from home. Hopefully vaccine works and/or I haven't been exposed. What a cluster.....

I'd say I can't believe IM would have people sign up for a race everyone knows is unlikely to happen, but of course, I believe it!

Crazy and frustrating about the school covid situation - thank goodness you've been vaccinated.

ACK! Ironman

I'm with Hands -- so glad that you are both working from home and vaccinated.  Stay safe, everyone!

2021-04-14 6:38 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gravel Talk

What do you guys think about helicopter tape for paint protection?  Especially under bags and near the drive train -- needed?  Good to have?  If yes, brand/size recommendations.  I have seen chatter about 3M and ISC.  Thoughts?

2021-04-14 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Gravel Talk

What do you guys think about helicopter tape for paint protection?  Especially under bags and near the drive train -- needed?  Good to have?  If yes, brand/size recommendations.  I have seen chatter about 3M and ISC.  Thoughts?

Yesterday was the first i really heard of doing this so I have no real input other than to say hmm. 

2021-04-14 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by ceilidh Janyne, Ann Marie, Melanie, i just got a deferral opportunity for IMCHOO 70.3. I took it. My request for the "refund" of $75 never went through.I feel your complaint to the attorneys General may have helped. I am fairly sure I won't be able to do it,and probably wouldn't anyway.

Yep, got it too. Apparently, b/c of the deferrals from last year's races no "refunds" were offered. So now it's race it this year, defer it to next year and do not race any IM branded races this year or you will lose the deferral, or just say, "here, take my entry fee you bastards!".  I was sort of trying to wait until closer to race day to see if the race would be rescheduled which would open up more opportunities ( could pick a race other than choo), but it seems they foresaw that strategy when they put an April xx deadline to request the deferral. Again, bastards. So now they can open up the waitlist and get someone else's entry fee.

ETA:Did you do the deferral or are you just absorbing the entry fee?

I still think that they charged for a service that that they did not provide in 2020.  Giving you a "choice" to defer or lose your money is not really a choice. 

I totally understand that it is not free to keep race directors, etc. on staff and that some of the money from our entry fees has already been spent.  I do think that it is reasonable to refund something.

I totally agree! 

I agree totally as well. I took the deferment solely to not lose the money that is already stolen. Every other person and corporation made sacrifices and lost money due to the pandemic (including us), IM lost nothing. They pocketed full fees for races they did not put on. I will never ever support anything they do and will loudly encourage others to look elsewhere for races that give a sh-t about their racers

2021-04-14 8:46 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

what she said.
2021-04-14 8:49 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Gravel Talk

Yesterday was the first i really heard of doing this so I have no real input other than to say hmm. 

I was this old right now old that I heard abiut this.
2021-04-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Gravel Talk

oops. Double post. So I will use this to say I had a lovely meet up with Chris and his wife. No riding or anything, just talk and laughs. Fun times!

Edited by ceilidh 2021-04-14 8:51 AM
2021-04-14 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gravel Talk

I was thinking under the bento box area and if I had it on hand, around the crank / bottom bracket area as well.  I know that part of it is rubberized but we love our bikes, right?

2021-04-14 9:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

Gravel Talk

I was this old right now old that I heard abiut this.

But good timing, right?  You can get your Diverge protected before it's too late!

2021-04-14 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Gravel Talk

oops. Double post. So I will use this to say I had a lovely meet up with Chris and his wife. No riding or anything, just talk and laughs. Fun times!

When is Chris coming to NC?  Were you able to pin him down on that?

2021-04-14 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Gravel Talk

no. We didnt get around to that.
2021-04-14 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Ann marie, the Cades Cove Loop lope opened today. I signed up as an incentive to get better.
2021-04-14 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Gravel Talk

I was thinking under the bento box area and if I had it on hand, around the crank / bottom bracket area as well.  I know that part of it is rubberized but we love our bikes, right?

Considering the cost of our bikes we better love them and they should never have any flaws or break down! 

2021-04-14 10:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Gravel Talk

no. We didnt get around to that.

It was great to sit and talk (and drink) with you and Jim.

If NC happens this year, it'll be a spur of the moment thing. We are committed to CO this year. Family and some us time is on the schedule. Hopefully we meet the nephew's fiance before she becomes his wife. 

Gravel bike - I had hoped to get tape, but I spent too much time looking (and hemming and hawing about my ability to get it on the bike without failing) and not enough time shopping. There are a variety of precut shapes and packages thereof available, but the reality is that 3M helicopter tape will do the job quite well. I'm not sure how easy it is to work with, thus my hemming and hawing. I'll let you know if I decide to get some. Oh yeah, some LBS's will do the tape application for you as well. One last piece, I should have bought some for my MTB.

2021-04-14 2:45 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member

Gravel Talk

Ditto
2021-04-14 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh Ann marie, the Cades Cove Loop lope opened today. I signed up as an incentive to get better.

thats great,  we ( my land and sky relay teammates and I) are signed up too!

2021-04-14 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Gravel Talk

I have heard of this but don't know anyone who actually does it.
2021-04-14 8:07 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Gravel Talk

I have heard of this but don't know anyone who actually does it.

Good to know!

2021-04-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh Janyne, Ann Marie, Melanie, i just got a deferral opportunity for IMCHOO 70.3. I took it. My request for the "refund" of $75 never went through.I feel your complaint to the attorneys General may have helped. I am fairly sure I won't be able to do it,and probably wouldn't anyway.

Yeah, my request for the $75 refund was ignored and I was told I could quit, defer, etc. like you guys.  I'm considering deferring for 2022 just because, (and to keep the small possibility of getting to use my fee for racing) but I'm not feeling super jazzed about it.  Either way the weasels have my money and I don't.

Edited by melbo55 2021-04-15 10:12 AM

2021-04-17 2:30 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Some sort of bicycle group came through the area today. I followed them going up the divide at about 30 mph! You should have sen them fly down! Only the super dangerous pot holes slowed them some.
2021-04-17 8:19 PM

User image

Expert
Since I have a race next month and have not been in the water since last summer nor swam in a pool since last February we bit the bullet and bought a pass for the YMCA. It's super close only an hour and a half drive. We were able to reserve two lanes next to each other for 45 minutes and Michelle swam next to me and is a good sport (mostly because she does not want to see me drown). I have learned some lessons on my return to swimming.

1. I wish I could swim as fast as my Garmin says I do, aka I need to calibrate my watch.

2. You don't get faster not swimming. Good news here, I didn't get slower, mostly because it's you can't get slower than me.

3. If you leave your goggles in your bag for more than a year, they might dry rot and leak. I should have just purchased new goggles.

4. Leaking goggles are a pain in the back side.

5. Please don't race me swimming, because I am not racing you. The person (not Michelle) in the lane next to me would wait for me and then try to race. I would just stop and let her go and then resume swimming. I hope in her mind she is now thinking she is as fast as my Garmin says I am.

6. Swimming laps in a pool is boring.

7. Chlorine still stinks and tastes bad.

8. I should have purchased a lighter resistance swim bands and done more reps. I didn't need stronger I needed longer.

9. Congratulations to you regular pool swimmers. You get bonus point for doing this. I cant wait until next month or June when the lake is warm enough to swim in without causing pain.

10. I will enjoy the next 4 Saturdays in Beautiful Bay City. We did go shopping in stores and had a nice dinner.
2021-04-18 9:11 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by JBacarellaSince I have a race next month and have not been in the water since last summer nor swam in a pool since last February we bit the bullet and bought a pass for the YMCA. It's super close only an hour and a half drive. We were able to reserve two lanes next to each other for 45 minutes and Michelle swam next to me and is a good sport (mostly because she does not want to see me drown). I have learned some lessons on my return to swimming.1. I wish I could swim as fast as my Garmin says I do, aka I need to calibrate my watch.2. You don't get faster not swimming. Good news here, I didn't get slower, mostly because it's you can't get slower than me.3. If you leave your goggles in your bag for more than a year, they might dry rot and leak. I should have just purchased new goggles.4. Leaking goggles are a pain in the back side.5. Please don't race me swimming, because I am not racing you. The person (not Michelle) in the lane next to me would wait for me and then try to race. I would just stop and let her go and then resume swimming. I hope in her mind she is now thinking she is as fast as my Garmin says I am.6. Swimming laps in a pool is boring.7. Chlorine still stinks and tastes bad.8. I should have purchased a lighter resistance swim bands and done more reps. I didn't need stronger I needed longer.9. Congratulations to you regular pool swimmers. You get bonus point for doing this. I cant wait until next month or June when the lake is warm enough to swim in without causing pain.10. I will enjoy the next 4 Saturdays in Beautiful Bay City. We did go shopping in stores and had a nice dinner.
"Only an hour ans a half"!!! I'll stop whining about my 45 minutes!Good job getting wet.
2021-04-18 12:19 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella Since I have a race next month and have not been in the water since last summer nor swam in a pool since last February we bit the bullet and bought a pass for the YMCA. It's super close only an hour and a half drive. We were able to reserve two lanes next to each other for 45 minutes and Michelle swam next to me and is a good sport (mostly because she does not want to see me drown). I have learned some lessons on my return to swimming. 1. I wish I could swim as fast as my Garmin says I do, aka I need to calibrate my watch. 2. You don't get faster not swimming. Good news here, I didn't get slower, mostly because it's you can't get slower than me. 3. If you leave your goggles in your bag for more than a year, they might dry rot and leak. I should have just purchased new goggles. 4. Leaking goggles are a pain in the back side. 5. Please don't race me swimming, because I am not racing you. The person (not Michelle) in the lane next to me would wait for me and then try to race. I would just stop and let her go and then resume swimming. I hope in her mind she is now thinking she is as fast as my Garmin says I am. 6. Swimming laps in a pool is boring. 7. Chlorine still stinks and tastes bad. 8. I should have purchased a lighter resistance swim bands and done more reps. I didn't need stronger I needed longer. 9. Congratulations to you regular pool swimmers. You get bonus point for doing this. I cant wait until next month or June when the lake is warm enough to swim in without causing pain. 10. I will enjoy the next 4 Saturdays in Beautiful Bay City. We did go shopping in stores and had a nice dinner.

I'm glad that you found something halfway workable for you Tulsa training. Bonus points for the nice dinner.

Good reminder re: dry rot.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Dooo Eeeet!!! Rss Feed  

of 74