BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 9 (Sprints, 5K, 10K, Whatever) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2020-12-31 12:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Todd’s Tri Turtles 9 (Sprints, 5K, 10K, Whatever)
GROUP FOCUS: Sprints, 5K, 10K, this group will be geared more towards those with limited to no experience to get you through your Sprint, 5K, 10K, group bike ride, or whatever challenge you issue to yourself. In case you are wondering "Turtles" has to do with moving at whatever pace is necessary to accomplish the goals that are set. Speed is not an issue in this group, if you have it great, if you don't have it great, it makes no difference.

NAME: Hunting Triathlete / Todd

STORY: I'm a 45 - 50 age grouper (45) who tends to finish middle of the pack. I took up triathlon in January of 2010 as a way to help me quit smoking. I smoked a pack a day from just after my high school graduation until Jan. 3, 2010 (over 16 years). I used swimming, cycling, and running to help me through the cravings, and to improve my health. I completed my first Sprint a little more than two months later, then a fifty mile bike ride a month after that, a few more sprints, and then completed the Houston Marathon just a little after my one year smoke free mark. I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for eight years now, and will never even take a puff off another cigarette as long as I live. I have chosen to make Triathlon a life style and compete for the enjoyment. I'm not going to say that I never look where I finish, but I compete against myself and care more about the journey along the way. I have completed 3 Half Ironman races, 1 Olympic, numerous sprints as well as running and cycling events. I am not a trainer nor a doctor, but do find great joy and satisfaction through the hard work and accomplishment of others.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for over 20 years, with one beautiful (Spoiled Rotten) daughter.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just getting back at it, but when in full swing try my hardest to get in three swims, three bikes, and three runs per week. (short, medium, long.

2021 RACES: GALVESTON 70.3 and possibly Ironman Cozumel

WEIGHTLOSS: I am lucky in this category and have never had an issue with my weight. I do want to lower my body fat % and become leaner, but that will come with training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: As stated above, I enjoy the accomplishments of others, whether they are small or large, because the accomplishment is relative to the individual and should be celebrated. I enjoy interacting with others to keep them motivated and positive about the goals they have set and the positive path they are on. I will make sure to answer any and all questions you have and if I do not know the answer I will do the research and get you the answer. I have been able to make friends through BT with very knowledgeable people who can help me if I need it. I will be there to send out inspires, challenge the group, and keep everyone logging and active. While I am not the most experienced, I am very passionate about this sport and people who are trying to make a change in their life.

Group Rules / Request: I am searching for those subjects that will participate in this group through logging their workouts, questions / comments in the thread, and by inspiring others in the group. No goal is to small for this group and will be celebrated as an accomplishment. We will all work to motivate each other and maintain a positive group. No arguments / discussion about Politics, Religion, Gun Control, and the like topics that tend to inflame others. You are free to take that to Cup of Joe. We can speak of things none Tri related but they should not be negative in any way. I just want a good group that communicates, works out, and enjoys the journey towards their goals.

2021-01-01 12:32 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd’s Tri Turtles 9 (Sprints, 5K, 10K, Whatever)
Hi Todd,

I'll join in for another year. I think it will be my last tri season, but I said that last year. I feel that I have some unfinished business as our season was cut short by COVID. At this stage my next race is in a fortnight. It's a Fun Tri:150/7/2. My preparation has been spasmodic due to lock down, compulsory mask wearing and travel restrictions. When we got out of lock down there was a lot of catching up to do and training was secondary.

I'll update and post my bio over the next few days
2021-01-01 6:50 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rod glad to have you and your experiences back in the group!
2021-01-01 12:30 PM
in reply to: #5274017

User image

Back with the group again!! Got my first session of the year in! 4 miles on the treadmill! Ice storm here makes it impossible to get out for a walk.

Not sure I’ll get an event in this year but I’ll keep in mind the event I did the first time around.

Happy New Year!!
2021-01-04 6:52 AM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bill great to have you back and when we get more in the group please share your story of resolve and hard work..

Well back from the college tour and hunting trip. Now it’s time to get to work with a short run this evening to start easing my way back into it.
2021-01-05 12:12 PM
in reply to: #5274046

User image

Name: Yakhead/ Ian (46 yo)

Story: I have always wanted to do a tri but have always been to nervous to do it. I have biked alot in the past and getting back into it. Bought a wahoo trainer got a zwift membership and treadmill to get back in shape and signed up for a sprint in June 2021. So no backing out. Running is my weakness but I will be working on that. I also have to remember how to swim ??. I hope chat and make a few friends. I am also on Stava.

Family: A very supportive fiancé. 3 kids-17,14, almost 2.

Weight loss: my plan is 50-60 pounds over the next year.

Race- Clearwater sprint June 26,2021 in Minnesota

2021-01-06 12:25 AM

User image

Hi Turtles,

Glad to be back for another year and to keep the rapport going with Turtles from previous years and looking forward to making some new acquaintances. As my user name indicates I'm in Australia so I'll be in the Off season when most of you are racing and vice versa.

I'm 63 years old and did my first tri in 2014. I'm the classic "Couch Potato" to Triathlete type but the real story is that I was working hard and long hours at a keyboard for many years. I was able to do 40 years worth of work in 30 years by working extra shifts, weekends, nights etc and I'm now retired.

In retirement I enjoy going to the gym and travel. I was unable to do these activities due to COVID Lockdown last year. We had very strict rules but it looks like things are under control here now.

I really want to complete 4-5 races this summer and while my training has been restricted I've been able to keep reasonably fit by training at home. I've recently seen a nutritionist to help me lose weight and to get a meal plan together. I'm pleased to say I'm getting good results and I feel a lot healthier. I would like to complete this season injury free as knee and glute injuries have limited my racing in the past.

I've registered for 5 "fun" races where the first race is 150 M swim / 7 KM bike and 2 KM run with the distances increasing each race to 300 M swim / 12 KM bike 3 KM Run. Swims are in open water in a Bay.

On a personal note I'm married with 2 adult sons.

Other interests include golf and movies.
2021-01-10 4:56 PM
in reply to: Yakhead

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Yakhead

Name: Yakhead/ Ian (46 yo)

Story: I have always wanted to do a tri but have always been to nervous to do it. I have biked alot in the past and getting back into it. Bought a wahoo trainer got a zwift membership and treadmill to get back in shape and signed up for a sprint in June 2021. So no backing out. Running is my weakness but I will be working on that. I also have to remember how to swim ??. I hope chat and make a few friends. I am also on Stava.

Family: A very supportive fiancé. 3 kids-17,14, almost 2.

Weight loss: my plan is 50-60 pounds over the next year.

Race- Clearwater sprint June 26,2021 in Minnesota

Ian, welcome to the group and Tri life. You seem to have a good plan in place and the good thing for you is that you feel weak in the run, which you can always walk if necessary. With the swim I always tell everyone the most important thing before race day is that you have swam at least a little past the required distance numerous times. When you know with certainty that you can and have swam the distance I take away some of the worries on that day.

On a side note is your screen name because you enjoy kayak fishing, if so I’m right there with you, but currently am without one.

Ask any questions you have no matter how small.
2021-01-11 5:03 AM

User image

Hi Turtles,

I have my first race coming up on Sunday. I'll consider it an achievement if I get to the starting line and a great result if I complete the race. As I've previously mentioned my preparation has been limited but I'm feeling pretty fit and carrying less weight that usual so I'm in with a chance. It will be interesting to see how "gym fit" translates to "race fit".

I've had a couple of bad omens: Friday my zipper broke on my tri suit, Saturday I got a flat on my race bike so I rode my MTB, Sunday I replaced the tube and then took 45 minutes trying to pump the tyre only to figure out the pump wasn't working properly. Today my skipping rope broke mid workout. Are the gods trying to tell me something?

Keep an eye out for next week's race report.
2021-01-11 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hi Turtles,

I have my first race coming up on Sunday. I'll consider it an achievement if I get to the starting line and a great result if I complete the race. As I've previously mentioned my preparation has been limited but I'm feeling pretty fit and carrying less weight that usual so I'm in with a chance. It will be interesting to see how "gym fit" translates to "race fit".

I've had a couple of bad omens: Friday my zipper broke on my tri suit, Saturday I got a flat on my race bike so I rode my MTB, Sunday I replaced the tube and then took 45 minutes trying to pump the tyre only to figure out the pump wasn't working properly. Today my skipping rope broke mid workout. Are the gods trying to tell me something?

Keep an eye out for next week's race report.

Good luck at the race this weekend. It’s not a bad omen from the way I look at. I see it as you getting all that crap out of the way before the race so that on race day you just have to race with no issues. I know how you feel though. I was doing an half Ironman in Georgia and drove there from Texas. Once I got in the hotel I put the wheels on my bike and looked it over. I went out for a 5 minute ride just to make sure everything was good and within 200 yards of leaving I slashed the tire open. Thank goodness I not only had extra tubes but had a spare tire because the other was done. It was not normal at the time for me to have a spare tire but I had just gotten them in and was going to replace both after the race. I learned that day that you will always need tires for replacement at some point so why not have at least one in the pack for an emergency. Who knows when and if you’ll be able to find one on short notice.

Again, good luck and do post a race report of the good and bad of the day.
2021-01-11 9:56 AM
in reply to: #5274153

User image

Hey Rod....that’s a few “glitches” youl’ll easily overcome!! Just do t do like I did on my last race....put the darn bike helmet on BACKWARDS!!! How embarrassing.....but I survived...

2021-01-11 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Or do like I did at and Olympic and run out of T2 with it still on and everyone hollering at you. The funny thing is for a short time I thought they were cheering for me and thought what nice spectators!
2021-01-15 5:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck this weekend Rod. I know you are gonna surprise yourself in a good way!
2021-01-16 8:03 PM

User image

Hi Turtles,

This was my first race (150M/8KM/2KM) in over a year and training for the race has been limited due to COVID restrictions. The uncertainty on whether the race would proceed due to COVID restrictions also made it difficult to get motivated as there was always the doubt that this race would be cancelled like last year’s races.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with my level of fitness and weight as I’ve been working hard on improving these. I was curious to see how being “gym fit” related to “race fit”. I’ve been training a lot on treadmills, spin bikes and in the pool not on the road or in open water.

On Friday night we had a lot of rain and this can often lead to poor water quality in the bay. On Saturday I went to pick up my race kit and check out the course and conditions. On Saturday evening it was confirmed that we’d be swimming and I must admit that caused me some angst as I’d only had 1 swim in open water and hadn’t swam in my wetsuit for over 12 months.

I woke at 3:30AM on race day and stayed awake until 4:30 AM when I needed to get up. Most of that time was spent thinking about the swim. On arrival at the course I racked my bike and then checked out the water and smiled as the conditions were only slightly choppy.
The race itself came and went quickly. The swim went well and I managed to overtake a few others. T1 didn’t go too well and I could have shaved 60 – 90 seconds off transition by practicing. The bike leg was a quick ride, about a minute slower than my best on this course. I couldn’t get going on the run though and I put this down to not doing any brick sessions as I ran out of steam during the run.

Overall, I was pleased with my results, recovery and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Obviously there’s room for improvement but this year I’ve changed my strategy in that I aim to get faster as the season progresses rather than be at my peak for Race 1 only to be out injured by race 3.

Race 2 is in a fortnight and I’ll be working on transition, open water swimming and doing brick sessions.

I'll do a separate post about racing in COVID-Normal conditions
2021-01-16 8:10 PM

User image

Hello Again Turtles,

The organizers of today's race are to be congratulated on getting the event up and running while many other events are being cancelled. I've attached the conditions that we raced under as I thought you'd find it interesting.

Attachments
----------------
Tri EGuide.pdf (540KB - 24 downloads)
2021-01-18 10:33 AM

Name: Harry Brooks

Story: I feel a kinship with you, Todd. I quit smoking in 1998 and ran my first marathon in 2001. Continued running through the early 2000's and did my second Marine Corps in 2008, this time helping my sister cross the finish for her first time. Lots of other 10k, 5k, 8k, races over the years.

In 2012, after my 3rd kid was born, I stopped running. Between 2012 and 2020 I put on about 60 pounds - no running but I kept eating like I did! At 6'3" I carry it fine, but I was way too heavy. Summer 2020, I started running again and rekindled my love for it. I'm running now about 25 miles a week including a Saturday long run around 10m.

I swam Summer league from 8/under until I was about 15 and in High school until my Junior year, so I have a natural swim stroke. I've been swimming about 2k a week lately @ about 1:55/100m and a Swolf @ 40.

Family: Wife who loves Peloton, Kids 14, 13, and 8.

Weight Loss: I'm about 230 now and probably should drop another 15, which I'll likely do training without too much effort. At 215 I look thin with my build.

Race: Signed up for Lake Monticello Tri in Charlottesville, VA on May 2, 2021. Signed up for Olympic distance.

I'm confident swimming and running, but desperately inexperienced on the bike. I have a Redline cyclocross bike I have set up for road and all dialed in...hope that gets me across the line!

Harry

2021-01-18 1:44 PM
in reply to: Bredfan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rod congrats on the race and thanks for the COVID attachment. I also really liked your comment / thoughts on getting stronger as the year goes. I have always found that when my A race is in between others that I tend to do best. I tend to slack off after if it is the first race and begin to get burned out and sluff off if it’s the last race. I’ve also found that I do better when I have more things to do over the year even if just a 5k or charity cycling event. I do all of my training by myself so being around like minded people at events helps to keep me motivated and excited.

Again, great job!
2021-01-18 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harry, welcome to the turtles and congrats on being smoke free. Is this going to be your first Tri? Your running and swimming background will definitely help you as you work towards race day and don’t worry your current bike will get you to and across the finish line. I think it’s wise to do a race or 2 on whatever you have and decide if you really like the sport. You know you enjoy running but Tri and / or cycling may not be your thing and now you’ve got a road or TT bike sitting there that you paid good money for. I’m pretty sure though based off your post that you will end up hooked and then you can go out and get something in whatever range your budget is. Post any questions you have and even if new to Tri feel free to answer questions / comment with your experience when it relates to others questions. Again, welcome.
2021-01-19 1:23 PM

Thanks, Todd!! Yep - I'll be running my current bike through this year for sure. My neighbor is a big road cycle guy so he's helped me get my setup good enough for now. I put about 400 into my bike and it is like new - should be fine for now.

So....I put together a training plan. I used the sample (free) plans here, and then layered on my background in running to make it my own. I really struggle with getting good spacing between hard/easy days. I also have to account for days when I have to be at home with kids (freaking covid) and days I'm in the office.

Attached is the plan I came up with. I'd love to hear any and all feedback - anything that stands out as good/bad/ugly. You wont hurt my feelings - I'm looking for guidance!! S

See attached screen cap of plan.

Thank you!!

(Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 2.20.45 PM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 2.20.45 PM.png (61KB - 22 downloads)
2021-01-20 4:40 PM
in reply to: #5274320

User image

Ian...welcome to the group!!!

Rod....congrats on a fantastic race! You certainly model what a goal oriented/determined athlete can accomplish!!

Harry...welcome to the group! That’s an impressive training schedule you’ve put together!! Stick to it the best that you can and if “life” gets in the way just adjust!

Seeing Harry’s schedule reminded me of the “training” plans I had for the 1/2 marathons I completed. In fact the organizers of the event just sent out a communication for this years event....hard to believe that first one for me was 10 years ago now....

For the new members, I’m Bill (2 New Knees). I’ve been involved with a number of road races over the years; softball for a long time and a hand full of Sprints; injuries to my knees resulted in both knees being replaced in 2013. In the sprints I’ve completed I’ve had to walk the “run” portion. The knees limit me on the longer distance events. I still try to “train” as if I going to sign up for an event but I’m uncertain if I will this year....And to top it off I’m (at this point) the oldest member of Todd’s team...69 years old; my wife and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary last November. We have 2 sons, 1 daughter; & 4 grandkids. We also have 2 Vizslas....they are 3 1/2 now and we do long walks with them 4 days a week....they help keep us “in shape”....;0)!!

I’m certainly glad Todd decided to lead another group this year...it helps motivate me to continue my “training”......

Best to all!!
2021-01-21 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Bredfan

Thanks, Todd!! Yep - I'll be running my current bike through this year for sure. My neighbor is a big road cycle guy so he's helped me get my setup good enough for now. I put about 400 into my bike and it is like new - should be fine for now.

So....I put together a training plan. I used the sample (free) plans here, and then layered on my background in running to make it my own. I really struggle with getting good spacing between hard/easy days. I also have to account for days when I have to be at home with kids (freaking covid) and days I'm in the office.

Attached is the plan I came up with. I'd love to hear any and all feedback - anything that stands out as good/bad/ugly. You wont hurt my feelings - I'm looking for guidance!! S

See attached screen cap of plan.

Thank you!!

Harry, you know I’m not a coach and have never claimed to be one so my thoughts are worth what you want to make of them. If you are training for a sprint I would say that the plan is very heavy. I say that from the stand point of looking at possible burnout and / or over training injury. I do not know much about you so if you know you can do that kind of volume in all three sports and can stay injury free then I could see you doing it. What I mean by burn out is training for the distance and time you will be doing your race + extra. Simple way to look at it is a sprinter in track does not do a marathon training plan for the 100 yard dash. Sure they mix in distance runs but within reason. This is a risk / reward sport. Next thing is are you taking on this sport to try and podium or are you doing it for health, fun, and the challenge of it? Your answer to that question should have a huge affect on how much you do and how hard you train. You know why I started and since then have done it for the challenge and fun while not being able to sacrifice work and not wanting to give up much family time. That said I go at mine with the thought of putting in the work to toe the line at the distance and then finish the race happy and healthy worrying basically about my own time / improvement. For instance my 3 Half Ironman have been 6:15, 5:58, and 6:14 (very hilly). I put in what was necessary but never really got stressed and pushed super hard in training. Now my daughter is leaving for college in August and I may chose to step it up and also finally sign up for and complete a full Ironman (sadly I’ve paid for more than 1 and did not have the time to properly train and cancelled - once again I did not feel I earned the right to toe the line or was ready). I guess what I’m saying is know what you want and be realistic about getting there and what needs to be done. You will see a lot of people that go at it hard for a year or two and then get out of the sport. Or those that kill themselves to complete a full and are one and done. Look at Bill he loves the sport and does what he can with his knees and does not care about a podium spot. He stays active and is no less a part of the races then anyone else. Hell a lot in the field would not be out there if roles were reversed I promise you that. I hope none of this comes off as discouraging or like your training to hard. I’m more of a cheerleader and want to make sure you look at the big picture if you know what I mean.

2021-01-22 1:31 PM

That is such great feedback! Very thoughtful, thank you! And what's funny is that I was laying in bed last night thinking about how I might add on some more - it didn't even occur to me that this schedule is particularly heavy. :-)

But - maybe I could get your added perspective with a bit of background...

All I'm doing is trying to have fun and learn. Until a couple weeks ago, I'd been running 5 days a week: (Day-miles) M-3, T-4, W-5, Th-3 (or swim), Sat-10. I was also doing a body-weight workout on Tuesday and Thursday - my gym/treadmill days. My tri plan swaps a swim on Tues, swaps a bike on Thur. I add an easy Sunday bike and light swim on Tues.

I've been thinking this is much easier on my body than 5 days of running that included one hard day - I was doing repeats on Wednesdays like 3 miles + 10x200 for 5+ miles. Maybe I'm wrong on that?

I notice that in tri talk there is a lot of mention of "hours per week." In my running experience, the talk is mostly about "miles per week," so this is new to me. The training plan above has between 7-9 hours per week... is that a lot? Medium? A Little? I wonder, what is the distribution of training hours per week for a cross section of athletes? As in, "First timer's range from 3-5 hours per week, elites range from 12-18 hours per week" or some such thing.... I have zero frame of reference!
2021-01-23 5:26 PM

User image

Hi Turtles,

Thanks for the encouragement on last weeks race.

I had a quiet week with my focus on recovery. My wife and I had an overnight trip away during the week so it was nice to relax.

I made sure I stayed hydrated but I did feel tired most of the week. I'm reviewing whether I race in a week's time as 2 weeks between races may be too much for me. There are 4 other races over the next 10 weeks so I don't feel I'll be missing out if I miss next weekend.

I managed 2 bike sessions, 3 workouts and 1 run during the week.

Welcome to the group Harry. Great to see a man with a plan!! I think you'll find that you'll refine your plan as you progress.
2021-01-25 9:13 AM
in reply to: #5274492

User image

Great week for you last week! Congrats on the get away!!! Skipping the next event May be a good idea; early in the season for you yet....save some for the rest of the season!!

Good swim this am despite a case of “not interested”...;0)! Weather turning nasty today with an ice and snow event so our walk tomorrow is likely an inside session.

2021-01-27 5:08 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee

I'm still kicking. Sorry for falling off the map last year, but issues with my blood pressure and diabetes got in the way. I'm not starting in a good place... but things will get better.

Rick
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd’s Tri Turtles 9 (Sprints, 5K, 10K, Whatever) Rss Feed  

of 3