BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-05-07 8:57 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Sounds like you have been busy (I guess some things don't change) and getting your workouts in where you can. That's great given your crazy schedule.

I've got to get back into the water as well. I'd like to go swimming in the mornings at my local Y but they have a group of regulars that hoard the early morning lanes. It's hard to get in there. I can't swim after work because that's my running/biking time, so I'm gonna have to figure a way to butt in there. Good luck with your reentry into the pool. It feels so good to get back.

2021-05-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Nothing says I Love You like a massage gun

I'd at least give it a try. It might be the cure for what ails you. I've heard some good things about them although I have yet to try them. Good luck!

And be nice to your husband - he could have bought you a sweater for your birthday.
2021-05-08 4:09 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Qua17

Nothing says I Love You like a massage gun

I'd at least give it a try. It might be the cure for what ails you. I've heard some good things about them although I have yet to try them. Good luck!

And be nice to your husband - he could have bought you a sweater for your birthday.

Haha, what’s wrong with a nice sweater?

Yeah, I’ll do like many have suggested, watch tutorials, read, and learn how to use it properly.
2021-05-08 5:10 PM
in reply to: #5275971

User image

Expert
Hi everybody: happy Saturday to you all. Unfortunately I had to work today so when I came home I spent some time laying on my bed and watching some television when I should’ve been going out and getting my walk in. After a couple hours of procrastinating I finally called my son to get some motivation and he told me to get my ass out of bed which is exactly what I needed to hear
2021-05-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: #5275989

User image

Expert
Damn! I guess I pressed the wrong buttonAnd I can’t go back and edit it because I’m on my mobile phone. So I will just continue from here. So I’m out here on my walk with my dog Cleveland who is in a very good training dog. He stops way too often to sniff and P. It really doesn’t bother me now since I’m walking, but it will drive me nuts when I start running in the month ahead. Last year I moved in with my girlfriend and we nowLive in a neighborhood with a nice one and a half mile loop which is perfect for my walks. I need to find some thing a little longer once I get running again. But then again I may just run on soccer fields like I did when I was training for IMMT because they cushion more of my body. I don’t know if I told you this but right now I’m suffering with a really weird neurological disorder. I have something called burning mouth syndrome which sounds exactly what it feels like. All my nerves in my mouth on my tongue on the inside of my cheeks on the roof of my mouth all feel like they’re on fire. LuckilyOne thing that helps is a ice cold beer. My doctor gave me some meds which has made the burning in my mouth better but I can still feel it and it still bugs me. I’m gonna have to try another medicine and hopefully that will help. Well I’m done with my walk and I’m going in for a beer. I hope everybody has a great weekend
2021-05-09 6:01 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Burning mouth syndrome, never heard of that. Good news that drinking beer helps!

How old is your dog? Maybe you could train him not to stop? I suppose he’s on a leash (or it wouldn’t be a problem tha he stops).

When I run with my dog on a leash, she wears a harness instead of a collar. That’s how she knows it’s a run, not a walk. I take her for a short walk before to do her business.

That said, we haven’t done it for a while because I started to run with a human friend instead, she’s better at not sniffing and stopping

2021-05-09 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
DQ Regarding avoiding cars when riding, I'm exactly the same. Fortunately we have a good off road cycle path along the motorway close to home which I have used a lot. But, a lot of the justification for the smart trainer and zwift account was avoiding traffic. Outside is more fun, but I can not recommend lots of time on a decent indoor setup enough. Especially if you want to avoid the traffic.

For dog walking/running, our fur baby is a golden-doodle, about 5 years old, so slightly nuts. Walking is a nightmare, everything needs to be sniffed. But like what Nathalie said, she knows the difference between a walk and a run, and is way better behaved running. Hopefully when you're running and have a bit of pace on, your dog will learn what's happening and improve his behavior will improve.

Jenn Good job on the brick. How's the post covid shot recovery going?

Me Still struggling to get out of bed for early morning runs. For the week I managed 4 short easy runs, 1hr 45 total, 1 spin, 30 minutes total. and about an hour of stretching/foam rolling.

Goals for the week, 5 runs, all easy 2.5-3 hours total. 2 spins, 1 easy, 1 intervals. and continue with the stretching/foam rolling.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2021-05-10 8:30 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Monday everyone.  I picked up my bike on Friday and fiddled with it (ouch shoulders/neck got stiff quick) but no rides yet.  I need to get some time on the trainer for this thing and get my position a little more dialed in.  Here it is:

Yes, I know the wheels don't match.    I'm going to be adding a disc cover to the back wheel and the front Flo 90 is for racing  I wish I had picked up two of the Flo 90s when I did and did another Powertap custom build like I did with my Flo 30s on my roadie. 

2021-05-10 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Frustrated with myself on Sunday. After waking up early to help my girlfriend's kids with Mother's Day, I went back to bed and slept until 2:30. When I got up, I had some lunch and then decided to rest a bit while the food settled. 3:00 came and went. At 4:00, I made it half way to my closet where my workout clothes are before going and laying back do in bed. At 5 - I had to run one of the kids to the emergency room because he had fallen off his skateboard, but then his mother got there and I took my girlfriend's daughter home. I could have gone for a ride then but I just couldn't get out the door. So I never got my ride on yesterday.

This is part of an issue I face everyday in my life. The littlest tasks seem like climbing Mount Everest. This view of things makes it so hard to work out because just getting out the door is a major accomplishment. I don't know whether it's because I'm 50, or because, I'm becoming lazy, or if it's my depression or my ADHD but something is getting in the way of my getting stuff done and it drives me nuts. I've got 22 weeks to train for the Boston Marathon. I've done it before. I'm a little fatter now but I know I still got a couple of long runs in my legs.

When I did my Ironman in 2014, I trained from August to August and I only missed four workouts during that time and they were all due to injury. I need to build myself back up so I can enjoy this type of consistency again. I think the only way of doing that is to keep trying harder each day. While I may not have made it yesterday, what is really important is what I do today. I have a nice 10-mile ride planned. Please pray I get out the door. If I don't start getting consistent with my workouts, it might be time to bring back the CLP (Coors Light Penalty). That warm coors light in my bag motivated me through a lot of workouts and races. There was no staying in bad back in those days because someone would have given me a coors light penalty. I may need that kind of accountability again.

I"ll take any ideas from y'all about ways to make it easier to get out the door each afternoon.

Have a great week everybody!

DQ
2021-05-10 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
My dog is 2.5 years and very hard to train. He is stubborn even when we motivate him with food. But I guess I could train him to not pee during the run and switching to the harness so he knows that there is no peeing allowed might be a good trick.
2021-05-10 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Goals for the week, 5 runs, all easy 2.5-3 hours total. 2 spins, 1 easy, 1 intervals. and continue with the stretching/foam rolling.

These are some good and attainable goals. All you got to do is roll out of bed one more time (although I know how hard that can be). Glad you are foam rolling - it works miracles on leg muscles!

2021-05-10 8:46 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Looks like a beautiful bike. I hope it brings you as much pleasure as Billy Baroo brings to me. Hope you get out on the road soon.
2021-05-10 3:29 PM
in reply to: #5275990

User image

, Vermont
@ Andrew: post shot #2 took a few days. I had light headache for 2.5 days and a mild, short-lived fever on day one. Fatigue was the other factor but all over now, so good to go!

@ Mike: awesome bike!!! You will have so much fun on it! I can’t wait to hear how your speed improves once your tweaks are done.

@ Dave: one step, one day at a time. If you keep a calendar, maybe schedule your workout on it to give it priority and don’t let things creep in. I totally get not being able to get off the couch to do stuff, it’s been plaguing me since going back to work full time and working backside of the clock. Have those workout clothes next to your bed, set two alarms and have the water bottle full in the fridge ready to go. Set reasonable goals and reward yourself with something other than food. - maybe keep a large calendar/wipeboard and check off your workouts so you have a visual of your accomplishments - it helps to build confidence and self-satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment when it’s right in front of you on a daily basis.
2021-05-10 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5276010

User image

, Vermont
Got a 4 mile run in last Friday. Saturday I was in Salt Lake City so my sis in law picked me up and I stayed with her and my nephew up in Park City (love being able to visit people when I’m working), so no workout Saturday. Sunday after I took us out for a Mother’s Day breakfast she took me back to my hotel and I got a 1:30 treadmill run in (with walk intervals). Today I’m in Oakland and went for a long, brisk walk. Nap time now for a long work night tonight. Tomorrow I’ll be in Philly. Hopefully I manage some decent sleep and get some kind of workout in there - maybe a run up the Rocky steps for my birthday! The next day I’ll be in Phoenix and they have a peloton at the hotel! Yay! Finally will get to bike!
2021-05-10 3:47 PM
in reply to: #5276011

User image

, Vermont
Every day may not be good, but there is good in every day. You can make progress or make excuses but you can’t do both. Set your goals and get after them! Here’s to a new week BDAS!
2021-05-11 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Every day may not be good, but there is good in every day. You can make progress or make excuses but you can’t do both. Set your goals and get after them! Here’s to a new week BDAS!

Great words - onward! 

Tuesday is my toughest day, coming off a Monday off day I usually don't sleep well and I have to get up before 5 to get the workout in before work starts.  Got it done, though, and feel a ton better than when I started.  I'm sure I'll hit the wall at some point later today.  LOL

2021-05-11 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 @ Dave: one step, one day at a time. If you keep a calendar, maybe schedule your workout on it to give it priority and don’t let things creep in. I totally get not being able to get off the couch to do stuff, it’s been plaguing me since going back to work full time and working backside of the clock. Have those workout clothes next to your bed, set two alarms and have the water bottle full in the fridge ready to go. Set reasonable goals and reward yourself with something other than food. - maybe keep a large calendar/wipeboard and check off your workouts so you have a visual of your accomplishments - it helps to build confidence and self-satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment when it’s right in front of you on a daily basis.

Agree with Jenn, prioritize that one hour you need to get it done, and don't try to make it all up at once.  There's a saying in the project management world, "don't try to boil the ocean."  It applies to training - you can't be all things to all people all the time, so prioritizing is really important.  So your goal is Boston, what does that look like six months from now?  What does "good" look like for you?  Then work backwards with incremental goals, maybe monthly.  Obviously you're going to be prioritizing running and walking, but walking takes FOREVER so in the early stages you'll probably get more out of cross-training (biking, strength/core training, and maybe some swimming when you can get to it, though that's the toughest one time-wise) than longer walks.

Another thing to consider is making reasonable goals.  I went through a period of realization a couple of years ago that I'm just not the same person/athlete I was in 2010 (first triathlon), or 2014 (best performance), so I need to have more reasonable expectations, and also do more strength/core work to keep Humpty Dumpty together.  I doubt I'll ever run a 46-minute 10K, but I'm sure as hell able to try to break an hour on a 40K time trial or set some PRs in the pool, so that's my focus now.  If I can run some, that's icing on the cake to me.

Completing a marathon is a huge stretch goal and tough to slog through that training without some incremental wins like maybe running an entire 5K at two months, and a 10K at four months, or shoot for a total number of hours training in a month.

Good grief, we don't want you to resort to a CLP. 

2021-05-12 11:31 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by aviatrix802 @ Dave: one step, one day at a time. If you keep a calendar, maybe schedule your workout on it to give it priority and don’t let things creep in. I totally get not being able to get off the couch to do stuff, it’s been plaguing me since going back to work full time and working backside of the clock. Have those workout clothes next to your bed, set two alarms and have the water bottle full in the fridge ready to go. Set reasonable goals and reward yourself with something other than food. - maybe keep a large calendar/wipeboard and check off your workouts so you have a visual of your accomplishments - it helps to build confidence and self-satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment when it’s right in front of you on a daily basis.

Agree with Jenn, prioritize that one hour you need to get it done, and don't try to make it all up at once.  There's a saying in the project management world, "don't try to boil the ocean."  It applies to training - you can't be all things to all people all the time, so prioritizing is really important.  So your goal is Boston, what does that look like six months from now?  What does "good" look like for you?  Then work backwards with incremental goals, maybe monthly.  Obviously you're going to be prioritizing running and walking, but walking takes FOREVER so in the early stages you'll probably get more out of cross-training (biking, strength/core training, and maybe some swimming when you can get to it, though that's the toughest one time-wise) than longer walks.

Another thing to consider is making reasonable goals.  I went through a period of realization a couple of years ago that I'm just not the same person/athlete I was in 2010 (first triathlon), or 2014 (best performance), so I need to have more reasonable expectations, and also do more strength/core work to keep Humpty Dumpty together.  I doubt I'll ever run a 46-minute 10K, but I'm sure as hell able to try to break an hour on a 40K time trial or set some PRs in the pool, so that's my focus now.  If I can run some, that's icing on the cake to me.

Completing a marathon is a huge stretch goal and tough to slog through that training without some incremental wins like maybe running an entire 5K at two months, and a 10K at four months, or shoot for a total number of hours training in a month.

Good grief, we don't want you to resort to a CLP. 

Jen and Mike - Thanks for your suggestions. I think your pearls of wisdom are fantastic and I will be sure to incorporate them into my training routine moving forward.

When I lost all my weight in 2012 - I took a sick day to schedule out my year and to book races to give me more incentive and to provide some consistency. Well, yesterday i drove halfway to work before my girlfriend called me to let me know that I had left my computer at home which I can't do my work without. So, I made the decision to call in sick and I spent the rest of the morning and a good chunk of the afternoon booking myself some races this season.

As you know - the A race of the season is Boston in October. I'm doing that with my son. To make sure I get there, I have scheduled at least 1 race per month from now until November. Let's see, I signed up for a sprint and an oly earlier in the season so the extra biking and swimming will help me lose the most weight so I can really concentrate on the run later in nthe season when I've dropped a few pounds, have a stronger core, and am more inshape. One of the races I signed up for is a Rev 3 races and they are always a good time. I also signed up for a couple of virtual races when I was unsure if an event would actually happen due to covid. But the thing that I'm most looking forward to is virtually riding around the Great Lakes. For each lake you go around - you get a medal and I have never met a medal I didn't love. Well, that's not true. I did a half a few years ago and got a cheap trinket where the ribbon cost more than the medal. Didn't sign up for that one again.

Hopefully - these races will help keep me focused and motivated throughout the entire season so when Boston comes around I'll be ready to run more than I will walk.
2021-05-12 1:03 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nice bike Mike

That’s good Dave, I’m like you, I need to sign up for events to keep me motivated. Sadly, I fear nothing is going to happen in terms of races this year either, so it’s tough.

Hockey season is over (My town’s team is world champion of Sweden, yeah ), which means less time in front of the TV and more time outside training. Beautiful weather this week so far, if it stays I may do my first OWS at the weekend.

2021-05-13 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

A double for me today, swim in the morning and then a run at lunch.  It takes me like a half hour to really get warmed up with those 6 AM swims.  Bikram Yoga tomorrow then a Zwift race on Saturday.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

2021-05-13 6:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Pretty sad week for training for me. Only 2 30ish minute runs so far. Really struggling with the getting out of bed part... Hoping that the little ones cooperate and I can have a zwift ride tonight, and run Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Had another physio appointment on Tuesday. She's happy with how I'm going, keep up the stretching but otherwise carry on. I've even been given permission to do some faster running, so long as I warm up properly, so that's something to look forwards too.

2021-05-13 6:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
DQ I'm currently having a similar problem with getting out the door, so not sure I'm the best to advise. Also like you, when I was Ironman training I didn't miss many workouts. But without that big scary goal on the horizon it's too easy to stay in the nice warm bed. I'm a big fan of your one race a month plan. I think that'll help you a lot. I'm actually thinking of something similar for myself. My last thought is a quote I saw somewhere, I forger where: "motivation comes and goes. What you're looking for is discipline" Some days we want to do it, some days we don't. But if we want to make that progress we just have to tough it out and get out the door and hit the pavement regardless. Good luck mate.

Mike Pretty bike. Looking forward to seeing results that match over the next few months

Jen Ticking off the workouts nicely. Did you do the Rocky run?
2021-05-16 11:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

Back from Rugby where I finally learned how to tackle; was a proper giggle. Played some touch after which was also fun. Tbh  though the post exercise recovery drink is the highlight:

Buy Birmingham Brewing Gold Brummie | Buy Beer online direct from Birmingham  Brewing | EeBriaTrade.com

Edited by sappho96 2021-05-16 11:18 AM
2021-05-17 12:34 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Back from Rugby where I finally learned how to tackle; was a proper giggle. Played some touch after which was also fun. Tbh  though the post exercise recovery drink is the highlight:

Buy Birmingham Brewing Gold Brummie | Buy Beer online direct from Birmingham  Brewing | EeBriaTrade.com

I think I've sampled that libation before. 

Another week in the books, over 10 hours of training with a TSS around 500.  Went to Bikram Yoga this morning and tweaked something in my back so a little sore but Advil should help.  We're flying down to Florida for two weeks on Saturday so I'll be more swim-focused as I won't have my bike with me this time.

2021-05-17 2:56 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Today was just under 7 miles on my bike with the leisurely led ride group; again I loved getting out the house after my first working day of the week, and was pleasantly surprised my legs didn't feel too bad after yesterday's exertions! 

How is everyone else?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31