BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-07-08 2:02 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Wow, Nicole.  The word "epic" gets thrown around way too much (particularly by endurance athletes ), but that is EPIC!!!!

That water looks really cold.

2021-07-08 2:05 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another rough night's sleep (work is a little crazy right now and I can't turn off my brain at night sometimes) necessitated a recovery day so Stage 12 was just an easy ride around Richmond and 30 minutes of Sufferfest yoga (a contradiction if there ever was one).  Tomorrow is a short 8k time trial mimicking a Giro d'Italia stage in Bologna, Italy.  6K flat and the last 2k averages 10% incline.  Hoping to break 21 minutes.

2021-07-09 8:46 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Wow, Nicole.  The word "epic" gets thrown around way too much (particularly by endurance athletes ), but that is EPIC!!!!

That water looks really cold.

I highly recommend Alaska to anyone who hasn't been there! And definitely the jet skiing!

The water was pretty chilly! lol luckily for the jet skiing they gave us dry suits, and it was 70 degrees and sunny, so the only time it got a little chilly was when we were near the glaciers. Luckily none of us fell off, or that would've been REALLY cold
2021-07-09 8:53 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to the gym this morning. My back is quite sore as I threw in a big axe tournament last night, and threw for about an hour the night before to practice for this upcoming tournament I'm throwing in (it's a whole thing, all weekend). Pretty fun, but it made my workout this morning extra tough because we rowed a lot!

Off to the beach this evening, so planning to get a run in each morning and hoping for a gym on site (and maybe even a lap pool!! although I'm not holding my breath on that).
2021-07-10 4:00 AM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, your pictures are amazing!!! What a great and beautiful trip!!!

Nathalie, how is the knee feeling?? (And did the shoulder impede your swimming?)

Mike, really well done on the stages, that’s dedication. Wow!

Andrew, this too shall pass; they’re only little for so long. It’s tough for sure, those needy little humans.. but soon they’ll be smelly teenagers not wanting anything to do with you. Hahaha. Embrace these moments and know they’re fleeting.

DQ - accountability!! Where are you, my friend! It’s Saturday morning, do great things!
2021-07-10 4:03 AM
in reply to: #5277033

User image

, Vermont
I’ve put some reasonable numbers up this week, so I’m generally happy with it. I’m about to head out on a long ride so I’ll fill stuff in when I get back. It’s dark, chilly and foggy here this morning at 0500 (I’m supposed to be riding right now but I slept an extra half hour). Wait ten minutes, it will change. Hahaha

2021-07-10 6:21 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 I’ve put some reasonable numbers up this week, so I’m generally happy with it. I’m about to head out on a long ride so I’ll fill stuff in when I get back. It’s dark, chilly and foggy here this morning at 0500 (I’m supposed to be riding right now but I slept an extra half hour). Wait ten minutes, it will change. Hahaha

You are SUCH a slacker. 

Nice work getting out there at o-dark-thirty, Jenn. 

2021-07-10 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another rough night's sleep (work is a little crazy right now and I can't turn off my brain at night sometimes) necessitated a recovery day so Stage 12 was just an easy ride around Richmond and 30 minutes of Sufferfest yoga (a contradiction if there ever was one).  Tomorrow is a short 8k time trial mimicking a Giro d'Italia stage in Bologna, Italy.  6K flat and the last 2k averages 10% incline.  Hoping to break 21 minutes.

Nailed the TT, though breaking 21 minutes was an error in my pre-race assessment LOL.  Executed more-or-less a perfect TT and came in at 21:55.  I held just below threshold / FTP for the first ten minutes and then pushed around 105% the final half with a kick the last 200 yards.  I dropped over a minute from my previous attempt in last year's TdF.

No rest for the weary - an almost 30-mile circuit race through Innsbruck this morning.  This is one of my favorite courses in the whole Zwift system, but I've never done a race this long on this course.

Speaking of TdF, holy cow Mark Cavendish!

2021-07-11 3:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Wow, Nicole, thanks for sharing, looks like an amazing place! Well done on keeping up with your training while travelling! And axe throwing? So cool!
Mike, well done on your zwifting, my trainer is stored away for the Summer.
Looks like you are all (well, the few still posting) doing great.

I have signed up for the oly in my local tri at the end of August and training is going OK, although I have had to adapt the plan to allow for my aches and pains. Shoulder is OK but I need at least 4 days between swimming sessions to allow it to rest. The knee feels better, I hope I will be given the OK to start running again by the physio tomorrow, which leaves plenty of time to bike every day when I don’t play golf.

Have a great Sunday and a beautiful week! Sappho, I’ll be cheering on England in the final tonight!

Edited by Rollergirl 2021-07-11 3:54 AM
2021-07-12 6:44 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  Sappho, I’ll be cheering on England in the final tonight!

That was a great match...too bad for the ending.

2021-07-12 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Had a great race on Saturday and then yesterday was just toast so bailed about 3/4 through my planned two-hour ride as I think I was getting into "junk miles" territory.  Day off today.  I think I'm at about 320 miles so far over the 14 stages.

2021-07-12 6:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nicole Epic is right, that looks amazing. Freezing, but amazing. What an awesome experience. You weren't tempted for the most badass open water swim experience?

Saph Commiserations for the Euro final. Maybe you need to wait for the world cup for it to come home.

Mike Nice job on the TT and a 30 mile race. That about matches my longest ever zwift ride, it's a heck of a long time on the trainer. Good job.

Nathalie Olympic at the end of August? That must be like 6 weeks training left. Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it.

DQ Where you at mate? Hope all is well and you're nailing your workouts.
2021-07-12 6:30 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Saturday I did a 75 minute easy paced run with a friend, longest workout since Ironman and didn't die so that's good. But since then I've been workout free.

Unfortunately I've picked up the RSV that our kids have had over the last few weeks. Sunday I was not great, but now Im doing ok. I definitely feel I could run if I had to, but probably better to have a bit of a break and get symptom free before pushing things. I'm away for work again tomorrow, but hoping to be ready for morning workouts again by Thursday.

Have a good week guys
2021-07-13 1:09 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nathalie Olympic at the end of August? That must be like 6 weeks training left. Good luck, I'm sure you'll nail it.

• 7 weeks until race day. Not enough time to get better and too many aches and pains are getting in the way of proper training but I will do it at my own slow pace, who’s in a hurry?
    2021-07-13 2:48 AM

User image

Master
    brummie land

Thanks all for your commiserations/well wishes; I actually support Wales in men's football so found the whole thiong slightly amusing, and the following racist abuse sadly familiar. Certain England fans are violent and racist and homophobic and days like yesterday just cement my choice to pick my dad's country to support. 

On a more cheerful note I've gotten out for a couple of rides and am LOVING watching the Tour De France; Cavendish is amazing!!!!!

2021-07-13 2:25 PM
    in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

@sappho - yes, it is a disgusting attribute of a certain percentage of our respective countries' populations and I'm sorry those guys have to go through that. 

I'm part Welsh, too!!

Kudos on getting out there riding. 

2021-07-13 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

44 miles on the trainer today on the "Big Foot Hills" course on Zwift, a punchy course with a bunch of short climbs.  I basically rode the climbs at 95-110% FTP, took it easy on the downhills, and top of Z2 everywhere else.  2:15 total...ugh.  Well, at least I caught the last hour of stage 16.  This has been a great TdF so far this year, though it's going to be tough to catch Pogacar.  My final stage Sunday is a race around the Champs-Ellyses while watching the TdF race towards Paris (I think I'll be done before they do the C-E circuit to finish).  I will definitely drink some champagne on my cool down (well, Preseco, as that is what is in the fridge...).

Hope everyone is having a great week - hope you feel better Andrew!

2021-07-14 12:26 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Originally posted by sappho96

Thanks all for your commiserations/well wishes; I actually support Wales in men's football so found the whole thiong slightly amusing, and the following racist abuse sadly familiar. Certain England fans are violent and racist and homophobic and days like yesterday just cement my choice to pick my dad's country to support. 

On a more cheerful note I've gotten out for a couple of rides and am LOVING watching the Tour De France; Cavendish is amazing!!!!!

Yes, I have mixed feelings about supporting England when I see/hear/ read about that. The worst is that this is the image people abroad get of English football fans. As all too often, a small majority ruins it for everyone.

2021-07-15 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member

Completed stage 18 of my TdF while watching Tadej Pogacar just crush everyone up the mountains.  Again.  Today was supposed to be around a 32 mile ride but after attacking up a KOM I was kinda done so mailed in a few more miles and bailed. 

2021-07-15 3:02 PM

User image

Master
    brummie land

Just finished watching the stage; tbh i wish he wasn't going to win yellow, white, and polka dots: it's a bit boring. Hopefully cav will be beat the record tomorrow and at least we no longer have to panic about mountain stage cut off times! 

Accidentally rode 20 miles today btw; was meant to be 16 max. Roughly ten there and back to the meet then c. 6 miles reconnaissance  ride for a led ride next week with the two monday night ride leaders. Somehow I gained 4 miles and that is double my longest this year! (And yes I know 20 miles for most of you is a little pedal )

Slightly sun burnt (yes we do sometimes get vitamin d here!!!) but very happy with myself and my legs feel ok. 

Hope everyone is doing ok?

2021-07-15 7:16 PM

User image

Expert
    Middle River, Maryland
    Silver member
    Originally posted by sappho96

Just finished watching the stage; tbh i wish he wasn't going to win yellow, white, and polka dots: it's a bit boring. Hopefully cav will be beat the record tomorrow and at least we no longer have to panic about mountain stage cut off times! 

Accidentally rode 20 miles today btw; was meant to be 16 max. Roughly ten there and back to the meet then c. 6 miles reconnaissance  ride for a led ride next week with the two monday night ride leaders. Somehow I gained 4 miles and that is double my longest this year! (And yes I know 20 miles for most of you is a little pedal )

Slightly sun burnt (yes we do sometimes get vitamin d here!!!) but very happy with myself and my legs feel ok. 

Hope everyone is doing ok?

Yeah, well I don't play rugby, so kudos on your stretch 20. Enjoy a pint virtually on me. Glad you got some sunshine. :-) It's been 95* F here and humid for like three weeks now.

2021-07-16 7:03 AM
    in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
    Hi all, greetings from camp!
    Andrew, I hope you’re feeling better!

I have some serious TDF viewing to catch up on.
    I’ve been home the last ten days and have done a fairly decent job of hitting almost all of my workouts which has been huge for me. My swims are still a little shy but I can’t get lanes all the time so that’s been a PIA. People have been signing up for blocks then they no show or cancel last second so lanes go unused. Two days ago I finally managed to get 3300 yards in when I was able to spill over to another lane for a bit. Last week I hit a 60 mile ride which was good. I have nowhere to simulate race terrain where I live. Hahaha.
    Today I’m at camp and am supposed to do an hour run and a swim. I’m currently in bed. It’s super muggy and 77 (hot for me) and I’m tired. My kiddo had a sleep over two nights ago with a couple of boys over to our house (equals zero sleep) and I got up early to knock out an hour ride. We got to camp last night and I think I’ve slept around 6 hours. I head back today to fly out tomorrow to start work on Sunday. Boo! I somehow have to get a long ride in on Saturday. If I can make it to Louisville by noon tomorrow, I have my road bike there and maybe I can get a reasonable ride in. Or maybe I shorten the ride and do a big brick?
    2021-07-16 7:21 AM
    in reply to: #5277122

User image

, Vermont
    Mike and Nicole, please tell me humidity drops just a little by mid September. Haha (nervous chuckle).
    2021-07-16 8:00 AM

User image

Master
    brummie land

Yeah, well I don't play rugby, so kudos on your stretch 20. Enjoy a pint virtually on me. Glad you got some sunshine. :-) It's been 95* F here and humid for like three weeks now.

Thanks! I had a 6.7% hazy NEIPA on Wednesday which was decent but not amazing. The St Emilion I had yesterday whilst watching the cycling was enjoyable And yes 77F is hot imho!

2021-07-16 9:40 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
    Fun workout today: 20min mtb ride, 20min swim, 15 min ride, 15 min swim and 5 min ride home. It’s HOT here (32C) so this is the perfect thing to do here, in the land of lakes. Yesterday I played golf in that heat and shot my best score this year.

Still no running, maybe tomorrow….physio said on Monday to wait a week, so that’s close enough. It will either be a 20k/5k brick or a 40k ride.
    Have a great weekend!

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31