BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-07-22 4:41 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

I swam! Only 750m (sore shoulder, lack of practice) but I swam! Mini ride there and back too.

Hope you all doing ok?

2021-07-22 7:06 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by sappho96

I swam! Only 750m (sore shoulder, lack of practice) but I swam! Mini ride there and back too.

Hope you all doing ok?

A bike/swim/bike brick workout...nice!
2021-07-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Hope you all doing ok?

Woohooooo nice work!
2021-07-24 11:03 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Thanks all! Today's exercise is drinking beer whilst watching rugby!

2021-07-24 3:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Sounds like fun! Been watching the olympics a bit. Shame the triathlon starts early morning local time, way past my bedtime my time. May be able to catch the replay.

Training for my first official Oly at the end of’August is going well. Knee is fine, only the back of the thigh and the shoulder to worry about. Time for some goal setting:

Official goal I tell everyone: 3 hours 10 min
Secret goal I secretly think/hope I can reach: under 3 hours (2:59:59 will do)
Time over which I would be seriously disappointed: 3 hours 20 min

Edited by Rollergirl 2021-07-24 3:55 PM
2021-07-26 5:49 AM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
Yay, Sappho, on the swim!! Hope your shoulder keeps improving!

Nathalie, way to set some goals, you’ve got this!!

Nicole, thanks for reaching out to DQ, that was kind of you.

I’m at camp - got in on Friday from work in the evening, in-laws and sis in law all came to the house and expectation was we were leaving for camp (my family) early the next morning. I hadn’t packed, etc. and so tired. We managed and picked up friends of the kids on the way. No workout Saturday but I did get a long bike in Sunday… 4:30 on the trainer for 80.93 miles. OMG my butt. Hahahaa.

2021-07-26 5:54 AM
in reply to: #5277283

User image

, Vermont
I hit submit too early. Ironman Lake Placid was going on this weekend which is :45 away from camp. I’m getting up now to run my kids’ friends back to VT then I’ll turn and come back again. It will take half a day. I will likely not get my long run in today.
I’ve been concerned with my sporadic training and so reached out to my husband’s cousin who has complete 7 IM’s (the latest being this year in Tulsa). He was encouraging - said he only swims around 3200 yards and said said if I’m already riding 80 miles with 8 weeks to go I should be “good.” Hahaha. Yeah, but he’s always had a strong base to fall back on, I don’t. At least he made me less panicky.
2021-07-26 8:03 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 I hit submit too early. Ironman Lake Placid was going on this weekend which is :45 away from camp. I’m getting up now to run my kids’ friends back to VT then I’ll turn and come back again. It will take half a day. I will likely not get my long run in today. I’ve been concerned with my sporadic training and so reached out to my husband’s cousin who has complete 7 IM’s (the latest being this year in Tulsa). He was encouraging - said he only swims around 3200 yards and said said if I’m already riding 80 miles with 8 weeks to go I should be “good.” Hahaha. Yeah, but he’s always had a strong base to fall back on, I don’t. At least he made me less panicky.

There was a really good discussion in another tri group I belong to about the value of the long bike in IM training.  To summarize, unless it's a mental thing there's no good reason to go out beyond 5+ hours in training because of the hole it digs.  While the trainer can be awful (ugh...4.5 hours!!!), it's going to emulate your conditions down in Cambridge.  Pancake flat.  You can't imagine how flat it is there, so you'll be pedaling non-stop. 

You probably have enough swim fitness from years of doing it, so just a few sessions should get you to T2.  Just make sure you get your wetsuit practices in so you don't chafe too much. 

2021-07-26 8:05 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Sounds like fun! Been watching the olympics a bit. Shame the triathlon starts early morning local time, way past my bedtime my time. May be able to catch the replay. Training for my first official Oly at the end of’August is going well. Knee is fine, only the back of the thigh and the shoulder to worry about. Time for some goal setting: Official goal I tell everyone: 3 hours 10 min Secret goal I secretly think/hope I can reach: under 3 hours (2:59:59 will do) Time over which I would be seriously disappointed: 3 hours 20 min

I watched the men's wire-to-wire...first off it's nothing like the sport we do.  Basically swim to get a good bike position, stay with the peloton, then a 10k run race.  Great finishing kick by the winner (I'll let everyone watch it so no spoilers).  The heat really got to everyone and you could see it at the end....probably a bunch of IVs flowing.

2021-07-26 11:30 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I ”watched” the whole race while working (it was in the background). Fun stuff. And yes, totally different with drafting allowed.

Still, found it inspiring that I am going to race the same distance for the first time soon.
2021-07-26 9:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Sounds like fun! Been watching the olympics a bit. Shame the triathlon starts early morning local time, way past my bedtime my time. May be able to catch the replay. Training for my first official Oly at the end of’August is going well. Knee is fine, only the back of the thigh and the shoulder to worry about. Time for some goal setting: Official goal I tell everyone: 3 hours 10 min Secret goal I secretly think/hope I can reach: under 3 hours (2:59:59 will do) Time over which I would be seriously disappointed: 3 hours 20 min

I watched the men's wire-to-wire...first off it's nothing like the sport we do.  Basically swim to get a good bike position, stay with the peloton, then a 10k run race.  Great finishing kick by the winner (I'll let everyone watch it so no spoilers).  The heat really got to everyone and you could see it at the end....probably a bunch of IVs flowing.

There is never, ever, ever a reason to be in white lycra...

And yay, NZ got a medal. Good for us.

Edited by bulfrog 2021-07-26 9:12 PM

2021-07-26 9:23 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Wow, life has kicked my arse the last week.

As you know I was away on work the start of the week, and was then sole in charge parent for the last 4 days when Mrs Bullfrog travelled to see her sister, who has just had a baby...

Well, after that, the respect I have for stay at home parents has gone up tenfold. Give me Ironman training over that mess any day, I can't remember being so tired. In my 4 days and nights unsupervised, both little ones picked up a bug from somewhere, so that made things a lot tougher than expected. Lots of changes of clothes (for all of us, caused from both ends...) lots of getting up in the night, and lots of cuddles (so not all terrible) All and all, very happy to be back at work for a rest today.

Training wise, the good part is I did manage to get the old roadie onto the trainer, and even used in twice. The bad news, no running, and only 45 minutes total on zwift. And yes, my legs do feel like I have not been riding in 4 months. Still, it's all set up again, and I'm aiming for more frequent rides going forwards.
2021-07-27 12:35 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Wow Andrew, sorry to hear that! Not good timing both picking up bugs while you were alone with them! Hope you didn’t catch anything yourself and enjoyed the cuddles anyway

Glad your husband’s cousin was able to settle help a bit, you’ve go this Jenn . Good results at Lake Placid for us Swedes, yeah!

Work this week so less time for training but it’s an active recovery week according to my plan, so that’s ok.

Have a great week all!
2021-07-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've been a bit off the grid the last week or so. Wednesday night I had axe playoffs which was followed by lots of drinking. I didn't work out that morning, nor did I make it to the pool to see if I could somehow get a pass.

My shoulder had been bothering me a little so I was going to swim Friday morning, but actually woke up unable to turn my neck (I'd been throwing a lot that week to get ready for the tournament so must've jacked up my back/shoulder the night before). So I took it easy.

Saturday morning I woke up feeling better and got in a 6.7 mile run. Felt pretty good, and my hip flexors did not hurt at all.

The rest of the weekend I had this axe throwing tournament which was awesome and I'm so glad I did it but I also drank so much. And was really run down this week so far.

Fast forward to Wednesday, lol, I went on a 3.7 mile run, then this morning did another 3.7 miles, focusing on hills. Might try to run after work again too, but not sure if I will have time. Work has been crushing me, per usual, but it's gotten really bad and I was up until 11 last night so am hoping to not have a repeat of that today. Speaking of, better get back to it. Hope you all are well!
2021-07-29 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

An axe-throwing injury, that's a new one to add to the BDAS malady list!

I'm progressing through my first week of actual training with a goal.  Three short, intense trainer rides, a couple of short treadmill jogs, and one short swim with longer ones planned tomorrow and Saturday.  Keeping up with my strength and core work.  I'm feeling the results of my big bike training block.

@Jenn, I'll be scouting out your IM course on August 28th as I have a 40K time trial on part of the same course.  I'll let you know if it's still flat, windy, and occasionally water-logged. 

Bicycle racing has been tough this year, lots of cancellations and nothing really close by.  I'm thinking about a crit up in Ardmore in a few weeks...it seems the Philly area has a really strong race schedule while DC / Maryland has next to nothing.  Bike racing in general is disorganized to begin with (especially when you're used to signing up for triathlons a year in advance!).

2021-07-29 9:43 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nicole Sorry that your shoulder is playing up, but an 'axe throwing' injury just sounds badass.

Me Better week than last week for me. Actually been for a run, so that's something. 1 zwift, and 2 runs so far. Planning on a spin tonight after the little ones are in bed, and another couple of runs on the weekend .

I've been reading a book 'the working triathlete' this week. Has anyone read it? It looks to have some good ideas for maximizing training with a busy work/family life, and I do see some of my situation in the examples given. I'm not sure about everything in it, but a lot of what he's promoting really resonates with me. Cross over fitness between sports, lots of brick workouts, focusing your training on a better bang for buck than splitting things equally etc.

So much so, I'm thinking next week I'm going to start trying some new things, like several am brick workouts and see how it goes.

Have a good weekend everyone, and enjoy the Olympic watching.

2021-07-30 8:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
@Mike - Leave it to me to have a weird injury cause
@Andrew - it feels pretty badass too but also was not fun b/c I couldn't move, but at least it was just temporary!

I swam this morning! I went to masters practice and was prepared to die, but I actually did okay. We did some kicking, some drills, then 36 x 25s free, then 6 x 50s free, then 18 x 25s back, then I got out b/c my shoulders were really sore. Total of 2250 yds though, which feels great b/c my tri is in two months and I wasn't sure it would be enough time.
I need to stretch my chest muscles b/c they're super tight and make swimming, especially backstroke, hurt a little. This just brings me back to REALLY needing yoga haha.

I hope everyone has an amazing weekend! I am going to either swim or run tomorrow, then try to do a long run Sunday (oh and play some vball tomorrow...my legs are gonna be dead!).

@Mike, would you be interested in meeting up for a Hammerman beach swim one of these days? I feel like I should get some open water in. Not sure if you're swimming much right now though. We could also do a swim/bike brick! Although you would almost definitely lose me immediately on the bike
2021-07-30 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Mike, would you be interested in meeting up for a Hammerman beach swim one of these days? I feel like I should get some open water in. Not sure if you're swimming much right now though. We could also do a swim/bike brick! Although you would almost definitely lose me immediately on the bike

I had planned on some OWS in September there after the crowds go away - it gets really busy there on the weekend but yeah that sounds great.  My first pool swim workout in about a month was today, so I guess I'm ready for my aquabike at the end of September.  LOL

RE:  Masters...Towson Merritt?  Do you need to be a member to be on the team?  I just quit Merritt and am going to join the Y, but might just force myself to swim masters again because I miss having a coach pick on me. 

2021-07-30 12:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I had planned on some OWS in September there after the crowds go away - it gets really busy there on the weekend but yeah that sounds great.  My first pool swim workout in about a month was today, so I guess I'm ready for my aquabike at the end of September.  LOL

RE:  Masters...Towson Merritt?  Do you need to be a member to be on the team?  I just quit Merritt and am going to join the Y, but might just force myself to swim masters again because I miss having a coach pick on me. 

September is perfect since my race is early October! Maybe the water will be cool enough for a wetsuit? Unlikely though. I usually don't wear one unless it's required, which was only once in my history with this race.

You do not have to be a member! You can buy a 10 practice pass for $75 as a non-member. Definitely come by. They're doing repairs on the indoor pool right now so all practices for the time being are outside This morning was LOVELY. I'm aiming to go every Friday and possibly some Saturdays. Sometimes they turn the slide on after Saturday practice
I'm a child but I'm okay with this.
2021-07-31 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Got in a short swim this morning and then was planning a 30 mile or so ride. 10 miles in my rear derauileur stops working. Like at all. Stuck in the 12 cog so I did the next 15 miles in 34/12 with a lot of climbing / low cadence practice. Still wound up bieng a good workout with a 45 minute sweet spot effort and then climbing and sprinting on the higher gear.
2021-08-01 3:45 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good weekend for me. Evening spin Friday night, up early om Saturday for an hour run and coffee with a friend, followed by an evening spin again saturday night. Sunday was a day off.

Overall, My biggest week since Ironman. 3.5 hours total, 1.5 of those on the bike, 2 running. Not earth shattering numbers, but a step in the right direction.

I started the week well with a 30 minute early morning Zwift, followed by a short 15 minute brick run. The plan for the week, is to do 2 more of those workouts, in between 3 stand alone longer runs. The main goal for the week, and likely the next couple is just to get the consistency (in volume and frequency) back up a bit before getting into some intensity. Sloth time is over.

2021-08-02 8:06 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, way to turn a crappy situation around and still manage to get a good workout out of it!

Andrew, way to go! I think that's a good goal, to focus on consistency.

I decided not to run Saturday since I was playing vball for a few hours. Legs were dead after. Then had a cookout and a going away party, so drank pretty much all afternoon and evening and got to bed super late. Was a total sloth yesterday. Got back to it this morning by doing a 4.2 mile run. My Ragnar is in less than 2 weeks (it kind of snuck up on me!) so I'm going to be running a lot this week/weekend, and then just doing some easy runs next week for a little taper (I really should follow a plan, but I really just run how I feel a lot of the time).

I'm a bit nervous for it but also really excited! Need to start figuring out what I'm packing too. I'm not a huge camper so have a feeling I'm going to need to track down a lot of stuff to borrow over the next week and a half.
2021-08-03 11:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a 3.2 mile hill workout in this morning. Gonna do gym tomorrow, run Thursday, swim Friday morning, long trail run Friday afternoon, Vball Saturday, Long or short run Sunday (haven't decided yet), then just a few short runs next week.
2021-08-03 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Watching the Olympics live has taken its toll on me, between staying up late watching swimming and early morning watching women's soccer (ugh, U.S.).  Back to normal now but had a rough night's sleep so wound up doing a slightly shorter workout than planned this morning.  30 minutes on the tri bike adapting to aero then some strength work.  My neck and shoulders are a little sore, but I held decent power for the 25 minutes or so.

We (and by "we" I mean my LBS guy...) figured out what was wrong with my roadie...broken cable.  He said the newer Shimano 11-speed shifters wreak havoc on cables and they should be replaced every couple of years.

2021-08-03 2:49 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Watching the Olympics live has taken its toll on me, between staying up late watching swimming and early morning watching women's soccer (ugh, U.S.). 

Yes, but on the plus side, Sweden is in the final!

Oh, you don’t care too much about Sweden? Oh well….
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31