BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-09-16 11:28 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Originally posted by bulfrog

In an unrelated question, does anyone know how we get the tracking beacon in the covid jabs to sync with Strava?

too funny!

2021-09-17 5:17 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
PSA: if you're interested in a smart trainer, Clever Training is having a going out of business sale. I just picked up a Tacx Flux S for under $500 USD shipped. YAY smart trainer!
2021-09-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: #5278044

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jenn!! Kick some A$$ tmrw!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!!!
2021-09-18 4:29 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

Jenn!! Kick some A$$ tmrw!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!!!

Go go go! We’ll be thinking of you!

2021-09-18 5:26 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by nicole14eJenn!! Kick some A$$ tmrw!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!!!!!
Go go go! We’ll be thinking of you!
Channeling the BDAS - go Jenn!
2021-09-18 5:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
I just jumped on the IM MD Facebook page...looks like the sea nettles are so bad they're allowing wetsuits even though the water temps are around 77 degress. :-OJenn is bib 1340 if you're tracking.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-09-18 5:38 AM

2021-09-18 10:37 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Jenn's about halfway done the bike as best I can tell. 1:30 on the swim. Averaging over 18 mph so far on the bike. It's staying cloudy here a little longer than I thought it would so hopefully they don't get cooked on the run.
2021-09-19 12:01 AM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
I am an Ironman! Swim was tough with the jellies, stung so many times. Bike felt good - got super hot toward the end and they ran out of water at a key aid station. That set me up for misery on the run. I ended up throwing up a few times and had to basically walk the last ten miles which was brutal but it is done. I’m recovering.
2021-09-19 2:52 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by aviatrix802

I am an Ironman! Swim was tough with the jellies, stung so many times. Bike felt good - got super hot toward the end and they ran out of water at a key aid station. That set me up for misery on the run. I ended up throwing up a few times and had to basically walk the last ten miles which was brutal but it is done. I’m recovering.

Congratulations! Just surviving swimming with jellyfish is an unbelievable achievement!

Sounds like a rough day at the office!

2021-09-19 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Originally posted by aviatrix802I am an Ironman! Swim was tough with the jellies, stung so many times. Bike felt good - got super hot toward the end and they ran out of water at a key aid station. That set me up for misery on the run. I ended up throwing up a few times and had to basically walk the last ten miles which was brutal but it is done. I’m recovering.
I figured the wheels had come off there the last ten miles. That was a fantastic bike split. Really nice job pushing through to the end and getting it done. BDAS!!There must have been some serious carnage on that course. It was almost 90 degrees up here yesterday without a lot of wind, so I can imagine what it was like in Cambridge. You finished MOP for women and your age group, and the winners didn't break 9 hours.
2021-09-19 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Congratulations Ironman! Awesome achievement.

Once you've had some time to recover I'm looking forward to reading all about it.

2021-09-20 2:25 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

How much quantity we can take
2021-09-20 7:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Amazing!!! Definitely can't wait to hear all about it. I can't believe they ran out of water at an aid station. That sounds horrible! Sorry to hear you threw up and had to walk towards the end, but this is still an INCREDIBLE achievement! So proud of you!
2021-09-20 8:01 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Home from my trip to NY. It was a very active trip! I ran 2 days (4.4 mile HIIT run Thursday, 5 mile run Saturday). Did a half hour boot camp Thursday as well. We also played tennis every day (I'm just learning so I'm pretty bad) and some other sports (threw the football, passed the volleyball, shot some basketball and soccer), and we went paddleboarding/kayaking (I paddleboarded) one day. Yesterday I had the long trek home (about 8 hours in the car, but I stopped at a friend's in NY to break it up), but wanted to wake up in my bed and get back into my routine. Did a 30 minute Peloton ride this morning and am planning on hitting up swim practice this evening.

Now to work through all these emails...
2021-09-21 12:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sounds like a fun trip Nicole! Yeah to you!

Not doing much here one last “swim” in the lake, 2 runs and one ride last week. Not following a plan which is both nice and not very motivating. Need to get my backside into gear and join the gym and pool for the winter. Not a big fan of either of them but lake is too cold now amd really need to work on some basic strength if I don’t want to break in the Summer. I should sit down and make a race plan for next year, that should motivate me.

2021-09-21 8:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
So I ended up working late last night and did not get to go to masters which is very upsetting. I had decided I was going to do a brick this morning, but then I overslept, so I ended up just doing a quick run and am planning on doing a brick tomorrow morning.

2021-09-22 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, all! 

@Jenn - hope you're enjoying your post-race recovery.  Congrats again on your journey and really well-executed race given the conditions.

@Andrew - as I got the "Dollar Store" J&J vaccine, my tracker only works when it's sunny out and doesn't lose connection to the satellites, sort of like my old Garmin 305. 

As for me, I've decided to not race this weekend.  My BIL is not doing well (that's an understatement) and my wife's a bit of a mess right now so I don't think my racing is a priority (though I'm sure she wouldn't complain).  My neck has been bothering me the last week or so, too.  I had some neck issues like 8 years ago that eventually went away, but I have no idea why they're back.

I've settled on my race schedule for next year, two sprint tris (May/Sept), an Oly aquabike (Sept), two 40k TTs (July/Aug) and as many criteriums as I can fit in locally here.  I also ordered my smart trainer, which should get here today.  I'm sure like every other thing I'll research and play around with it for three weeks before actually doing anything on it.  LOL

I got up at 5:15 this morning and went to Bikram Yoga for the first time in months.  I met my low expectations.    I treated it as a recovery / PT thing rather than a workout per se, so it wasn't too bad but I have no balance at all right now.  Jumping on the bike for a quick easy ride at lunch to figure out how to get Trainer Road and Zwift to work together.  I love TR's workouts but it's like staring at a wall.

Hope everyone's week is going well so far.  Onward!

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-09-22 8:10 AM
2021-09-22 11:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

My neck has been bothering me the last week or so, too.  I had some neck issues like 8 years ago that eventually went away, but I have no idea why they're back.

My guess is stress. So sorry to hear your BIL isn't doing well still. Sending all the positive, healing thoughts. Hopefully some time on the new trainer helps.

Edited by nicole14e 2021-09-22 11:50 AM
2021-09-22 11:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all,

I failed again this morning at completing a brick, but decided to start a power zone program on the Pelly (what I'm not going to call my Peloton b/c I am lazy). They have a 5 week program so I started it today, kind of stupidly since I won't be able to do much next week. But I'll do my FTP test tomorrow or Friday so I'll at least have that done, even if I don't do the full program.

I'd love some advice for next week. I feel probably the most prepared I've ever felt leading up to a triathlon. I've been running regularly, swimming consistently for the last couple months, and now with my Pelly I'll have more "bike" training than I've ever had. For a sprint, I feel like I don't need to "taper," but any advice on what I should do as to not overdo it? This is where I struggle, and without a plan I will likely do too much or too little.

2021-09-22 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey all, I failed again this morning at completing a brick, but decided to start a power zone program on the Pelly (what I'm not going to call my Peloton b/c I am lazy). They have a 5 week program so I started it today, kind of stupidly since I won't be able to do much next week. But I'll do my FTP test tomorrow or Friday so I'll at least have that done, even if I don't do the full program. I'd love some advice for next week. I feel probably the most prepared I've ever felt leading up to a triathlon. I've been running regularly, swimming consistently for the last couple months, and now with my Pelly I'll have more "bike" training than I've ever had. For a sprint, I feel like I don't need to "taper," but any advice on what I should do as to not overdo it? This is where I struggle, and without a plan I will likely do too much or too little.

Your running and swimming base are way above what you need for a sprint, and it's probably too late to do any speed work though I think with you playing football, etc. you get some anyway.  Get out on your real bike once or twice and just hammer it for a few minutes each time after a warm up it's different feel then the Peloton spin bike with that huge flywheel. 

As for tapering, for a sprint I tone it down starting about a week ahead of time, but keeping some intensity.  I wouldn't do Masters Friday morning unless you just go for a 30 minute session.  If your race is Saturday, Thursday is the day to do NOTHING.  Light workouts in all three sports the day before.  If you get a chance to go to Hammerman, do a dry run (and that place is great for doing that, and you probably won't be alone as it's the only legal OWS that I know of in MD).  Transitions really matter in sprints so practice.  If you're wearing a wetsuit, get at least a pool swim with it on, even though you'll look ridiculous and be sure to rinse it immediately.

OK, I think I've done enough man-splaining for the day. 

2021-09-22 1:26 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e Hey all, I failed again this morning at completing a brick, but decided to start a power zone program on the Pelly (what I'm not going to call my Peloton b/c I am lazy). They have a 5 week program so I started it today, kind of stupidly since I won't be able to do much next week. But I'll do my FTP test tomorrow or Friday so I'll at least have that done, even if I don't do the full program. I'd love some advice for next week. I feel probably the most prepared I've ever felt leading up to a triathlon. I've been running regularly, swimming consistently for the last couple months, and now with my Pelly I'll have more "bike" training than I've ever had. For a sprint, I feel like I don't need to "taper," but any advice on what I should do as to not overdo it? This is where I struggle, and without a plan I will likely do too much or too little.

Your running and swimming base are way above what you need for a sprint, and it's probably too late to do any speed work though I think with you playing football, etc. you get some anyway.  Get out on your real bike once or twice and just hammer it for a few minutes each time after a warm up it's different feel then the Peloton spin bike with that huge flywheel. 

As for tapering, for a sprint I tone it down starting about a week ahead of time, but keeping some intensity.  I wouldn't do Masters Friday morning unless you just go for a 30 minute session.  If your race is Saturday, Thursday is the day to do NOTHING.  Light workouts in all three sports the day before.  If you get a chance to go to Hammerman, do a dry run (and that place is great for doing that, and you probably won't be alone as it's the only legal OWS that I know of in MD).  Transitions really matter in sprints so practice.  If you're wearing a wetsuit, get at least a pool swim with it on, even though you'll look ridiculous and be sure to rinse it immediately.

It's not mansplaining if I asked Def won't be wearing the wetsuit unless it's required, which I doubt it will be looking at the 10 day forecast.

This is super helpful, thank you! I definitely need to get my bike in good shape this weekend and get out on it a few times, that's excellent advice. So with this in mind, my rough plan for the rest of the time is going to be the following (let me know if you'd change anything):
Thursday - FTP test
Friday - Masters and noon Pelly ride
Saturday - Masters
Sunday - OWS at Hammerman, possibly bike and run as well while there
Monday - 30-45 min Pelly ride
Tuesday - 30 minute run
Wednesday - 20-30 minute ride outside
Thursday - Nada
Friday - 10 minute light run, 10-20 minute light bike ride outside
Saturday - Be a Bada$$!

2021-09-22 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

It's not mansplaining if I asked Def won't be wearing the wetsuit unless it's required, which I doubt it will be looking at the 10 day forecast. This is super helpful, thank you! I definitely need to get my bike in good shape this weekend and get out on it a few times, that's excellent advice. So with this in mind, my rough plan for the rest of the time is going to be the following (let me know if you'd change anything): Thursday - FTP test Friday - Masters and noon Pelly ride Saturday - Masters Sunday - OWS at Hammerman, possibly bike and run as well while there Monday - 30-45 min Pelly ride Tuesday - 30 minute run Wednesday - 20-30 minute ride outside Thursday - Nada Friday - 10 minute light run, 10-20 minute light bike ride outside Saturday - Be a Bada$$!

The only thing I'd add is a couple of swims the week of the race.  Short, fast.  You're probably more in tune with how you race swimming vs. how much rest you've had...I'm better off keeping my feel for the water and only tapering total distance vs. frequency leading up to a race. 

2021-09-22 3:09 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
OKay! I will go to Masters Monday too. Unfortunately I don't have access to a pool other than masters practice. And I don't want to waste a whole practice the day before the race just to swim a few laps. I think I should be fine though with that! Thanks again! Usually I just wing it so it feels good to feel prepared and have an actual plan.
2021-09-23 12:12 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear your BIL is not getting better. Wise move about the race, family comes first.

Good luck with your taper week Nicole!

Curious as to why you recommend the ”nothing” day on the Thursday Mike, I have always felt the best day for a day off is the one just before the race, and the few plans I have followed recommended that too.

2021-09-23 7:19 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sorry to hear your BIL is not getting better. Wise move about the race, family comes first. Good luck with your taper week Nicole! Curious as to why you recommend the ”nothing” day on the Thursday Mike, I have always felt the best day for a day off is the one just before the race, and the few plans I have followed recommended that too.

I've tried both ways, Nathalie, and the off day two days before a race then about 30-35 minutes of "quick" pacing work across the three disciplines works better for me than the day off before a race.  Friel recommends that in his plans and his books.  I think the science behind it is your legs don't have quite the "snap" after an off day, and the the short, quick bursts the day before prevent that.  If you can do any of this at the race site, so much the better.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31