BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-09-23 8:49 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
thanks, I'll try both next year to see what works best for me

2021-09-23 10:03 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi all,

So, I've been feeling a bit crap post covid shot. So have done the sensible, if frustrating thing and paused the training until I'm feeling right. I'm doing better than I was, and am hopeful of being back on the bike Sunday.

As far as our lockdown goes, we have changed from level 4 to level 3. It's not a big change for us, more business are allowed to be open. But 'click and collect' contactless only. At least that means uber eats is up and running again. Oooo it was nice to get a good curry for the first time in 5 weeks last night. Still no social interaction allowed tho, so pretty much still under house arrest. We're in level 3 for a minimum of 2 weeks, and then not sure. Case numbers continue to tick along at about the same level as they have for the last month, and Dear Leader continues to talk about wanting "Elimination/Zero Covid" if that's what we're really after I can't see a change. Auckland is up to 80% vaccinated (1st doses) so my hope is that's enough to relax and acknowledge holding back the tide doesn't work and we start opening up UK style. We will see in a few weeks I guess.

Obviously the first half marathon of the summer series (was supposed to be next weekend) has been delayed, now scheduled for mid November. Knock on wood we'll be allowed, but I'd guess less than 50/50 chance.

Mike Sorry to hear your BIL is not doing well. Totally the right decision to skip the race, family is way more important. Hopefully a full recovery is not long away.

Nathalie I'm with Mike, I preform better with some work the day before a race. For sure it needs to be relatively short, you should feel energized not tired after it. But I often feel a bit sluggish after a rest day or 2, se definitely prefer to do something.

Nicole for a sprint Tri, the day before I would be thinking about some strides in the run, and a few short sharp hard intervals on the bike. Wake up those fast twitch fibers.

Have a good weekend team.
2021-09-24 9:57 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nicole for a sprint Tri, the day before I would be thinking about some strides in the run, and a few short sharp hard intervals on the bike. Wake up those fast twitch fibers.

Thanks! Definitely will do! Those are my favorite
2021-09-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I inadvertently took a rest day yesterday. I was running behind in the morning and figured i could get a ride in in the evening. But then I worked all evening :-/

Woke up early this morning for masters. Coach made me do a time trial, but with an 800 instead of a 500 since my race is 700. I swam it in just under 14 minutes, so I'm pleased with that! Gonna get a ride in after work too to make up for missing yesterday.
2021-09-24 12:30 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew I'm so sorry to hear you're not feeling well from the vaccine. It definitely took me out for a day, and I was tired after that, but nothing too horrible. Hope you start to feel better very soon!
2021-09-24 2:09 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

, Vermont
@ Mike, I’m so sorry your BIL isn’t doing well, my prayers have been sent.

@ Nicole, it sounds like you’ve got a plan! Go forth and crush! I look forward to hearing about it!

@ Andrew, ugh with the lockdown and sorry you’re feeling blah after the shot, it will pass.

I will have a race report done at some point. I’ve been wanting to run all week, feel great, but my big toe is KILLING me and I know the toenail is going to fall off. Boo! I’ve never lost a nail before. So right now biking and running are out for the toe and I’m back at work so it’s tough to find a pool. I will get some stretching in and start lifting and working the core as best I can. Night flying and day sleeping are kicking my butt right now as I continue to recover. Overall though, physically, I feel great and am ready to roll!!

2021-09-26 7:28 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a 30 minute ride Friday afternoon, woke up and went to masters on Saturday morning, played 2.5 football games, and then woke up this morning and did a 15 mile bike ride outside. I forgot how tired my arms get from my weight being forward on the bike.

My body is INCREDIBLY sore, mostly from football, but I think all the other stuff didn't help.
2021-09-27 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Did a 30 minute ride Friday afternoon, woke up and went to masters on Saturday morning, played 2.5 football games, and then woke up this morning and did a 15 mile bike ride outside. I forgot how tired my arms get from my weight being forward on the bike. My body is INCREDIBLY sore, mostly from football, but I think all the other stuff didn't help.

Must have been from jumping up and down after Tucker hit that kick. 

I had a decent weekend of working out...did a 1K TT in the pool Saturday with no warm up, was a little slow at 18:30 but I was at Oly race pace so not quite all out.  I then did workout #4 of Zwift Academy which is basically 2 x 12' sets of over/unders.  I'm using my new Tacx trainer which has a very different feel then the Kinetic Road Machine, much more "smooth" throughout the pedal stroke so it feels much more like a spin bike than riding outdoors.  I think I'm riding about 10 watts faster too, which will help when I race.   

Long walk outdoors yesterday enjoying the weather before the Ravens game, which was three hours of frustration followed by 30 seconds of pandemonium. 

2021-09-27 7:55 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Did a 30 minute ride Friday afternoon, woke up and went to masters on Saturday morning, played 2.5 football games, and then woke up this morning and did a 15 mile bike ride outside. I forgot how tired my arms get from my weight being forward on the bike. My body is INCREDIBLY sore, mostly from football, but I think all the other stuff didn't help.

Must have been from jumping up and down after Tucker hit that kick. 

I had a decent weekend of working out...did a 1K TT in the pool Saturday with no warm up, was a little slow at 18:30 but I was at Oly race pace so not quite all out.  I then did workout #4 of Zwift Academy which is basically 2 x 12' sets of over/unders.  I'm using my new Tacx trainer which has a very different feel then the Kinetic Road Machine, much more "smooth" throughout the pedal stroke so it feels much more like a spin bike than riding outdoors.  I think I'm riding about 10 watts faster too, which will help when I race.   

Long walk outdoors yesterday enjoying the weather before the Ravens game, which was three hours of frustration followed by 30 seconds of pandemonium. 

Right?! OMG he is the GOAT. So exciting!
2021-09-28 12:54 PM
in reply to: #5278199

User image

, Vermont
Hey Mike, where do you find Zwift Academy? Is there a specific tab for it?
I look forward to getting back on the bike and working strength.

How are you feeling, Andrew? The effects should about be subsiding at this point.

Been on a trip for a week now, get home tomorrow night finally. Rough way to “recover.” Toenail is still hanging in there but I already have a new pair of running shoes waiting for me set aside at the store for when I get back. I’m itching to get back out there. On my Salt Lake overnight I went to my sis in law’s in Park City and stayed there and played baseball with my nephew- lots of throwing and pitching for batting practice then hitting pop flies for him. I’m more sore from that than the race. ??
No report yet, I prefer to do that stuff on a computer which I don’t carry on the road. Post-Ironman depression is trying to rear its ugly head but I won’t let it. I’m looking at some 5ks or maybe a half Mary for this fall and hoping I get a kitchen pass for Mussleman 70.3 next July. Gravel bike “should be here” Friday but I’ll believe that when I see it. I was supposed to have it at the beginning of July. I will say, my tri bike got some serious use this summer. Vader earned his keep!
2021-09-28 1:28 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Here the ZA info Jenn  https://www.zwift.com/uk/academy

You sign up, and then you can either do the workouts in groups via Zwiftpower or on your own,  There are also four groups rides as well.

2021-09-28 7:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thanks for asking Jenn, I'm feeling totally fine. But I have a bit of a cough remaining that just wont quit. That said, I am getting very bored and frustrated, so will be back on zwift either tonight or tomorrow night.

Lockdown wise, Dear Leader is now talking vaccine passports coming next month, So, although I am 100% against anything that resembles 'papers please' or mandatory vaccination, hopefully this is the beginning of our way out of this mess. Otherwise I don't see how we get out of lockdown. For some reason we are still aiming for zero covid, and case numbers are increasing again, so I don't see how they will remove restrictions without something changing. There have been multiple cancellations/postponements of events this week but, quite nicely race 1 of the local sprint/olympic tri series has been moved from November to January, 2 weeks before my HIM. I sense a warm up event in my future...

If you can't tell, yes I'm feeling a bit down about the whole thing this week.

In happier news the Ironman 70.3 world champs, which were supposed to be here (same course as my Ironman in March) in 2020, and then again in 2022 (both Covid cancellations), have been given a new date of December 2024... Which I presume means the December 2023, and March 2024 70.3's would be qualifiers I wonder, how much progress can be made in 2 and a bit years.... Considering I'm quite overweight, and a 7 hour 70.3 finisher its almost certainly out of reach, but a world champs in NZ is a once in a life time opportunity... I really shouldn't publicly state imaginary targets like that...

Hope everyone is having a good week.
2021-09-29 1:37 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I really shouldn't publicly state imaginary targets like that...

Yeah you should! That makes it real. Go for it! 2 years is enough time to lose the weight and get better!

2021-09-29 2:25 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I really shouldn't publicly state imaginary targets like that...

Yeah you should! That makes it real. Go for it! 2 years is enough time to lose the weight and get better!

Agreed! Definitely a great goal!
2021-09-29 2:28 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ahh Jenn so sorry to hear about your nail, but happy you are getting home, getting some new kicks, and will soon be back out on the road! More races will definitely keep you moving and happy! I didn't know post-IM depression was a thing, but it makes sense!

Andrew, I totally get feeling down about the state of things right now. I feel like we are all struggling with a little grief still of the "normal" that feels completely lost. Keep your head up and get on that bike!
2021-09-29 2:31 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
This week has been a rough one. I actually haven't worked out since my Sunday bike ride! Work has me incredibly stressed out. I worked a 17 hour day Monday, and probably about 10 hours yesterday. Woke up this morning intending to do a pelly ride, and my screen wouldn't turn on! Usually I just tap it and it comes on. Apparently there's a power button on the back though, so now I just feel dumb. Hoping to get one in before my axe playoffs tonight but I'm not sure I will have enough time.

Also had some tough conversations with a staff member who hasn't been completing tasks. Her mother is sick, so we've been trying to be understanding, but so much has dropped and we never know when she's working and when she's not. The talk did not go well, so it's been very tense and stressful. But it had to happen, so we will see how things go. Just need to shake it off though!

2021-10-01 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole:  you just outlined why I made the decision in my career to be a top individual contributor vs. management...people are high maintenance. 

Good luck tomorrow - looks like the weather will be great.

2021-10-01 2:36 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

@Nicole:  you just outlined why I made the decision in my career to be a top individual contributor vs. management...people are high maintenance. 

Good luck tomorrow - looks like the weather will be great.

Yeah, I can definitely see why you made that decision!

And thanks! Ahhh can't believe it's finally here! Going to pick my packet up in a bit, and then gonna need to gather all the things so I can roll out of bed

Also, I won my axe league on Wednesday! I did a Pelly ride right before it and it was the best thing I could've done to decompress from the day.
2021-10-03 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nicole, how did the race go?

I finally managed to get off my arse last week, and had 3 zwift rides and 1 30 minute run with the dog. Only 2:45 total so not a lot, but at least back on the horse. For this week, and the next couple, my goal is frequency. I'm not so much worried about what workouts I do, or even how long, I just need to get back into the good habits of going for a run in the morning before work, and a ride in the evenings once the little ones are asleep. My publicly stated goal for the week is 5 runs and 5 zwifts.

Lockdown wise, we are learning this afternoon whether we continue to go down alert levels. Unfortunately on the weekend a few people outside of Auckland have tested positive (We currently have a 'border' around Auckland, where I live. You need negative tests and government permission to cross... just like Berlin in the old days) So the 'experts' are now saying unlikely to change, restrictions will stay in place. We are now 7 weeks of house arrest, where it is illegal to invite your neighbor over for a visit.... Meanwhile the rest of the world moves on with life and laughs at us.

I. AM. OVER. THIS. SH1T.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2021-10-03 7:08 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Our own Nicole came in 12th overall, yet didn't podium in her age group because she's in the toughest one. It was really chilly here yesterday morning (race is like 5 miles from where Iive), about 50 degrees or so F, and while that's great for long course you never really warm up on the bike.@Nicole - not too shabby...imagine what you could if weren't sandbaggin the bike so much. LOL
2021-10-04 8:54 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Our own Nicole came in 12th overall, yet didn't podium in her age group because she's in the toughest one. It was really chilly here yesterday morning (race is like 5 miles from where Iive), about 50 degrees or so F, and while that's great for long course you never really warm up on the bike.@Nicole - not too shabby...imagine what you could if weren't sandbaggin the bike so much. LOL

Hey all! Yeah being in the toughest age group can be a bit frustrating. This is the first year I didn't place at all in this race, so I was bummed about that (think I got 4th in my age group, 6th if you count the top two ladies). My legs were dead by the run. I had one speed and one speed only. But overall I'm pleased with it! Will pull together a race report later this week!

My final time was 1:26 something. The girl that won completed it in 1:08... She was finishing as I was starting my run haha. She PR'd in her 5k. So clearly I need to up my training, as Mike said. Next year...

2021-10-04 1:05 PM
in reply to: #5278231

User image

, Vermont
Nicole, that’s fantastic, congratulations!! I look forward to the race report!! Woohoo!
2021-10-04 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Our own Nicole came in 12th overall, yet didn't podium in her age group because she's in the toughest one. It was really chilly here yesterday morning (race is like 5 miles from where Iive), about 50 degrees or so F, and while that's great for long course you never really warm up on the bike.@Nicole - not too shabby...imagine what you could if weren't sandbaggin the bike so much. LOL
Hey all! Yeah being in the toughest age group can be a bit frustrating. This is the first year I didn't place at all in this race, so I was bummed about that (think I got 4th in my age group, 6th if you count the top two ladies). My legs were dead by the run. I had one speed and one speed only. But overall I'm pleased with it! Will pull together a race report later this week! My final time was 1:26 something. The girl that won completed it in 1:08... She was finishing as I was starting my run haha. She PR'd in her 5k. So clearly I need to up my training, as Mike said. Next year...

Nice work - it doesn't get much better as you turn older, more people get into triathlon after weekend warriors sports don't work anymore (like me ).  40-44 was the roughest one for me. 

You put a really good bike split on, especially with that technical course on a chilly day.  I'm wondering if you overcooked the bike a bit and that hurt your run.  Interested to hear your race report.

@Jenn - you still owe us one, I think.  If it's not documented, it didn't happen. 

2021-10-04 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Congratulations Nicole, great job.

And +1 to Mikes comment Jenn, we need details.

Latest lockdown update. We now have a very confusing 'roadmap' out of lockdown, with no dates, or milestones specified... so make it up as we go along. But we're now allowed the privilege of meeting with 1 other household at a time, outdoors only. And traveling around Auckland for recreation. At this stage, I'm putting my November Half Marathon at 5% chance happening (Original date was last Sunday), and my December races 30-40% happening, odds to be reviewed weekly. I hate this government so, so much.

One good point is me and my running mate have already confirmed a Saturday morning run and coffee. For the first time in 2 months.
2021-10-04 5:43 PM
in reply to: #5278302

User image

, Vermont
I know, I know, I still have yet to write it. I start back at work tonight so I’m hoping this week while I’m on the road I can do it. I was home for 4 days and was out straight literally the entire time. I feel like I’m coming back to work to rest. ??.
I have been lifting a few times but nothing while I was home. Toenail is still hanging in there. Haha, no pun intended. I went to the docs to make sure there’s no infection. She gave me antibiotics in case one flares up while I’m on the road.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31