BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-03-25 7:05 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open
Agreed, it's super quiet. Maybe it will start picking back up with the weather getting better up north in the states.

I went to the gym yesterday and have gone on some walks this week. Need to get a run in today, but I'm also leaving work a little early to play volleyball so that might be my cross training for the day If that's the case, I will run tomorrow (it's supposed to be beautiful and I'm taking the day off to go on a hike and go shopping with my mom) and then hit the gym Saturday morning. Then doing another ~7 mile trail run on Sunday.

2021-03-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Today was a really easy recovery swim in the 89 degree resort pool.  Basically a therapy pool so I didn't push it, and it was tough to sight as it's in the shape of a cloverleaf so no straight lines.  They have an indoor lap pool so maybe I'll hit that tomorrow.  I'm planning on 40 miles on Saturday...supposed to be around 80 here on Hilton Head Island.   Lots of people "working from home" here, plus some older folks with their grandkds and a limited number of spring breakers, but it's a ton quiet than Florida.  Really cool vibe here.

Good luck tomorrow, Andrew!

2021-03-27 6:37 PM
in reply to: #5274075

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I am ironman.

Close run thing, details to follow in a few days. But job done.
2021-03-28 3:54 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

I am ironman.

Yeah, saw that, well done! Looking forward to reading your race report!

Not much happening here. A couple of zwift sessions plus a 10k run at snail pace a week for the last few weeks. I have issues with my right side, alternating pain in the calve and buttock on that side. Seeing a physio tomorrow to get to the bottom of it (you see what I did here ? )
2021-03-28 6:41 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

I am ironman.

Yayyyy congrats Andrew!!! Can't wait to hear the details!
2021-03-28 6:45 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Played a bunch of volleyball (beach doubles) Thursday and Saturday. Friday went on a long hike with my mom (probably a little harder than she was ready for, but she was a trooper!), and also went on a long walk with a friend later that day. Our trail run was rained out today, which was a bummer. Trying to make a clear plan this week so I can stick with it, but I am also donating blood tomorrow so it's gonna be a rough week for training.

2021-03-29 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Congratulations, Andrew!! 

Back at home after a month-ish down south and I'll start off with a long trainer ride today.

@Nicole - Love beach doubles.  I played dozens of tournaments back in the 90s when it was huge, even played one "open" tournament (so, local pro level) and got SMOKED like 15-3, 15-4 (old sideout-style scoring, though honestly I don't think the newer rally scoring would've have made much difference).  Athleticism and ball control is off the charts at that level.  I really miss playing sometimes, but no way in hell my back will allow it.

2021-03-30 7:40 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Congratulations, Andrew!! 

Back at home after a month-ish down south and I'll start off with a long trainer ride today.

@Nicole - Love beach doubles.  I played dozens of tournaments back in the 90s when it was huge, even played one "open" tournament (so, local pro level) and got SMOKED like 15-3, 15-4 (old sideout-style scoring, though honestly I don't think the newer rally scoring would've have made much difference).  Athleticism and ball control is off the charts at that level.  I really miss playing sometimes, but no way in hell my back will allow it.

It's the best! Sorry to hear you can't play anymore. It can definitely be hard on the body, especially at that level (and once you've played at that level, playing lower just isn't quite the same). Those open players are no joke!
2021-03-30 7:46 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Went to my gym yesterday, and just got done playing a couple hours of vball. Need to get in a run tomorrow, so planning that for early afternoon.
2021-03-31 7:57 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Ok guys, for your reading pleasure here is my far too long Ironman New Zealand race report:

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

We're now 5 days post Ironman, I'm quite exhausted, I'm still dealing with the blisters on both feet, and I have absolutely been enjoying a post Ironman food and beer binge. This is going to be the first time since April 2019 that I've had a full 7 day week with zero swim/bike/run

And after the biggest 6 months of training I've ever done (Including the birth of child No. 2 half way through) I'm probably going to follow that with a 2nd week off.

Moving forwards tho, I am going to get back into things. Last Ironman I became a total sloth, and lost all my fitness. That's not happening this time. But things are going to change.

First thing, is after negotiation with Mrs Bullfrog, who has been totally supportive and encouraging the whole way through, I'm looking to mostly end weekend workouts for the foreseeable future. A bike ride that disappears half of Saturday takes too much away from family life. So going forwards, I'll be running before wake up, and riding zwift in the evenings after little people are asleep. Monday to Friday. Happy wife, happy life. (maybe the odd weekend workout, if the kiddos are away)

Second thing, I want to stop trying to go long, and try and get some speed back. In the past, I've done the 5k run of sprint tris in 25 minutes. Today I would struggle to do a stand alone 5k in 35. I'm going to fix that. Shorter workouts, more intensity... and races that don't take all weekend.

Third thing, I want to lose weight. I lost about 20lbs Ironman training. I should have lost 100. (as the race photos make clear) I think doing shorter workouts/races the need to refuel will be less, so hopefully will continue to lose over the next few months/years.

So, I'm going to look to enter some 5k running races over the winter and try and drop that time as much as I can. I'm then going to enter the 4 race sprint tri series next summer. And depending on fitness and motivation levels my do the Tauranga half ironman next Janurary (the one I did this year)

Finally, the question on everyone's lips. Yes, I still think I have unfinished business with Ironman. Lying in bed, post race I told Mrs Bullfrog 'never again' But after a few days thinking about it I do still want to do an Ironman in a more respectable 13/14/15 hour time. (not that 16:51 is not still an achievement I'm very proud of) And with less weight, and more years consistent training I do believe that I am capable. But it's going to be a few years away. When I look at our little family, and the growing list of family commitments, and weekend school sports only a couple of years away for No.1 son, it may not be for 10-15 years.... 14 hour Ironman before 50 years old. How's that for a target?
2021-04-01 12:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sounds like you have a plan!

Enjoy working on that speed, sprints are a lot of fun (although I can’t compare, that’s all I do). Not sure if it is going to help with the weightloss more than training for longer distances though, you’ll have to considerably take down your calorie intake.

When I lost 25 pounds a few years ago, I used an app to measure how much calories went in and out. That helped me a lot as I had a tendency to let eat anything I wanted and plenty of it, just because I had run a 10k that day.

Good luck! Off to read your report now

2021-04-02 6:55 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good plan, Andrew.  I think sprint tris are great, and far much less commitment to time to get good at them.  The good news is that you've developed a huge aerobic base, now time to put some intensity into the work.  For cycling, nothing beats starting to race on Zwift and get a feel for how you perform under stress.  Start at Cat D and just learn, don't worry about how you finish as there are cheaters galore, focusing on getting in a really hard, intense workout 1-2 times/week.   Sprint tri cycling legs are paced at or above threshold, so you have to spend a lot of time there learning how to recover quickly.

For running I highly recommend picking up Daniels Running Formula.  It's pure running regimen so obviously you'll need to drop a little if you're multi-sporting, but I promise you'll get a lot faster at 5Ks.  For swimming, well, I have no real experience in getting faster at OWS other than you can go faster than you think.

Also off to read your novel.  Congrats again, Ironman. 

2021-04-06 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thanks guys. Yes the race report is a bit of a novel... I have been known to ramble on a bit.

I've also used calorie tracking apps before, with success. I've previously lost around 30kg using myfitnesspal (unfortunately gained it back) so I totally agree that tracking works, and it's going to be a big part of my next 6 months. That said I've always had more success losing weight on moderate to light training. I think it's easy to over eat exercise calories, and for that matter to over estimate how much you burn, making MFP less useful. But with shorter training sessions I can ignore any exercise calories, but I can't with 2-3hour plus bike rides.

Mike, I've actually got daniels running formula, but I've never followed one of the plans, you've encouraged me to relook at it. I see the 5k training chapter starts at 40-50 miles per week... that's more than I was doing peak Ironman training. Which probably says something about my Ironman training Haha. I'll read through it, and try and absorb some information but I feel I need to be a lot fitter than I am before starting that level of plan.
2021-04-07 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Thanks guys. Yes the race report is a bit of a novel... I have been known to ramble on a bit. I've also used calorie tracking apps before, with success. I've previously lost around 30kg using myfitnesspal (unfortunately gained it back) so I totally agree that tracking works, and it's going to be a big part of my next 6 months. That said I've always had more success losing weight on moderate to light training. I think it's easy to over eat exercise calories, and for that matter to over estimate how much you burn, making MFP less useful. But with shorter training sessions I can ignore any exercise calories, but I can't with 2-3hour plus bike rides. Mike, I've actually got daniels running formula, but I've never followed one of the plans, you've encouraged me to relook at it. I see the 5k training chapter starts at 40-50 miles per week... that's more than I was doing peak Ironman training. Which probably says something about my Ironman training Haha. I'll read through it, and try and absorb some information but I feel I need to be a lot fitter than I am before starting that level of plan.

LOL, Andrew.  I thought the same thing.  I just cut it in half and used the other principles around the "T", "I", and "R" pacing concepts and how to incorporate those different types of "speed" work into plan.  Also, the longest run @ 30% of mileage can be a little tough unless you're running six days a week, which I never was.  I kept the long run to 1/3 of weekly volume.

2021-04-07 6:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got my one-and-done Johnson & Johnson / Janssen vaccine yesterday.  A little beat up today but not awful.  This is a planned recovery week anyway as I also have a dentist appointment tomorrow and those are always traumatic for me. 

March was one of my better training months with a good mix of stuff. 

Swim: 4h 12m 42s - 10406.33 Yd
Bike: 18h 14m 12s - 319.95 Mi
Run: 2h 15m 43s - 9.31 Mi
Strength: 6h 50m
Aqua Aerobics : 45m
Device Upload: 1h 33m (that's hiking, need to find and fix that)
Hiking: 8h 53m

2021-04-07 5:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike, vaccine and dentist in 1 week? You're a glutton for punishment. It is good to see the vaccines being rolled out around the world tho... the madness must be nearly over.

In the post Ironman excitement I didn't post my stats for the month. March was my biggest month ever. I think having a 17 hour day at the end of the month may have helped that. haha

Swim: 4 hours 7 minutes, 10,910m
Bike: 27 hours, 12 minutes, 654km
Run: 17 hours, 20 minutes, 117km

Total of 48 hours 39 minutes.

Still yet to do a post Ironman workout, but I do want to run once or twice this week... It'll happen... maybe.

2021-04-09 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Still a little beat down, but got in a little ride this morning and my body was not happy getting my HR up.  The weather is terrible today so that doesn't help.

2021-04-11 6:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Still a little beat down, but got in a little ride this morning and my body was not happy getting my HR up.  The weather is terrible today so that doesn't help.

I feel your pain.

Went for a run Friday, right leg felt like sh1t. almost instant pain at the back of my lower calf (just above knee height) and sore knee after stopping running... After no real injuries through Ironman training, and 2 weeks of nothing I'm at a bit of a loss where this came from.

Anyway, that, plus a real windy rainy nasty weekend has gave me the next 2 days off. I feel fine now, so might try a run this evening... weather dependent.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
2021-04-12 1:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I've always had more success losing weight on moderate to light training. I think it's easy to over eat exercise calories, and for that matter to over estimate how much you burn, making MFP less useful. But with shorter training sessions I can ignore any exercise calories, but I can't with 2-3hour plus bike rides.

That’s interesting, I’ll try that as the weight is creeping back and I’ve tried using the app again the same way (tracking both in and out) but it’s not working anymore.

How do you set how many calories you need every day? Tracking both in and out I had the app set at “not active” which allowed me 1250 cal a day. No way I’ll manage that if I’m ignoring the exercice calories.

So I am thinking about trying with 1450 a day, knowing that I normally exercice at least for 250 cals a day (short swift ride after work).

Any thoughts?

2021-04-12 2:10 PM

User image

Oh my! Had a reminder of BDAS today so decided to check and see if it was still running.. and here you all are! Wow! 

I was member back in 2013/2014 when Dave Qua and I did Tremblant together as our first full. 

I recognize a ton of names here! Glad to see you're all still at the sport! 

Cheers! 

2021-04-12 4:06 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

I've always had more success losing weight on moderate to light training. I think it's easy to over eat exercise calories, and for that matter to over estimate how much you burn, making MFP less useful. But with shorter training sessions I can ignore any exercise calories, but I can't with 2-3hour plus bike rides.

That’s interesting, I’ll try that as the weight is creeping back and I’ve tried using the app again the same way (tracking both in and out) but it’s not working anymore.

How do you set how many calories you need every day? Tracking both in and out I had the app set at “not active” which allowed me 1250 cal a day. No way I’ll manage that if I’m ignoring the exercice calories.

So I am thinking about trying with 1450 a day, knowing that I normally exercice at least for 250 cals a day (short swift ride after work).

Any thoughts?

Yeah, my thinking is something light like a 30 minute run is not going to make you that hungry, so you probably eat little to nothing extra and burnt some extra cal running so that's a win. Compared to a 4-5 hour bike, where you eat 2-300 cal /hour during the ride, and follow it with a big meal as you're famished... easy to over compensate for how much you burnt.

I set my MFP account to the lowest activity setting (I work in front of a computer, so that's fair) and 1kg loss per week target. It's synced with my gramin, so normal walking around during the day bump things up a bit usually, plus any workouts of course.

I'm bigger than you, so MFP calculated 1722 cal/day as my target. My plan is to aim for under 2000 cal/day (which so far this week was a miserable fail). If I workout that will be under target, and if I don't it's close enough that I should be still dropping. I think it's easier to plan meals if I'm aiming for the same number every day, rather than up and down all the time.

Also, when I've been successful with it (best success was dropping around 28kg over 6 months) everything is planned. I knew at the start of the week what I would eat for most meals, how many cal/day that would be and that I would be hitting goals. That's a way better system than winging it, and adding up at the end of the day... When I do that I often ended up hundreds of cal above my targets.

For you, I'd say all you can do is closely monitor your weight, and food (i.e. weigh and measure everything) for a few weeks. If you're consistently hitting your 1450 target, and dropping weight all good. If you're hitting it and not dropping, then the only answer is to drop a few hundred cal/day. We're all an experiment of one for weight loss, those calculated targets are based on averages, you may burn a few more, or less cal than average. Only way to know is measuring things.

If you want to add me, I'm bulfrognz on MFP.

2021-04-13 12:38 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for your detailed response Andrew. You’re right, think I’ll try 1450 calories a day for a few weeks and see if it works.
So frustrating, it worked so well a few years ago, lost all the weight I wanted (12kg) quite easily. Tracked everything and if I felt like drinking a beer for example, I’d go for a jog with the dog first to compensate.

Now, 4 of these 12kg are back and I need a new strategy before their friends join them!

I like the idea to plan ahead but I’ll start with planning one day, logging all my calories for the day in the morning, hopefully that should help me stay on track.

Need to go back into regular (6 days a week, at least 30 min) exercise too. Not having races to train for makes it hard to find motivation to move my butt.

Started the week with a 45 minutes zwift workout yesterday. Today I’ll go for a short run at lunchtime.

Have a great week BDAS!
Welcome back Alan! I joined the group more recently so I don’t know you, please feel free to let us newbies know about you!
2021-04-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by adempsey10

Oh my! Had a reminder of BDAS today so decided to check and see if it was still running.. and here you all are! Wow! 

I was member back in 2013/2014 when Dave Qua and I did Tremblant together as our first full. 

I recognize a ton of names here! Glad to see you're all still at the sport! 

Cheers! 

Hey, Alan! Yeah, we're still here.  We were around 10 really active members plus a few more occasional, now it's about 5 people on a regular basis.  We are all vicariously racing through Andrew right now, but the 2nd half of 2021 looks good here in the mid-Atlantic <fingers crossed>.

I still follow you on Strava so I more or less know what you're up to.  Are you still coaching?

2021-04-13 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

RE:  weight loss.  Also in the camp of where it is really hard to force weight loss during hard training.  I usually focus on dropping the last few pounds as I taper and really clean up my diet pre-race, but then again I've never had to lose a whole bunch.  My body really want to hover around 200 lb / 92 kg, and it's tough to move south of that without a really focused effort on diet.  And little to no beer, which sucks. 

2021-04-13 8:21 AM

User image

Hey, Alan! Yeah, we're still here.  We were around 10 really active members plus a few more occasional, now it's about 5 people on a regular basis.  We are all vicariously racing through Andrew right now, but the 2nd half of 2021 looks good here in the mid-Atlantic .

I still follow you on Strava so I more or less know what you're up to.  Are you still coaching?

I am! I coach full time now. I coach about 12 triathletes remotely, I coach an age group triathlon club, and I'm the lead coach and DS for a junior development cycling team. I've also been trying to establish a pro triathlon career. COVID has made things difficult but normally I'm on the road in an RV most of the summer racing or supporting the juniors at races. 

Andrew was at IM Texas 70.3 I take it? I've not done Galveston but I've done a training camp in the Woodlands and went down for Waco in 2019. Texas is a fun place. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31