BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2021-04-13 8:26 AM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open

Oh.. I just scrolled up and saw it was IMNZ... 

Andrew, was Ellie Salthouse there? She's my current idol. I've been following her for awhile. I think she's primed to be the next big thing in long course if she wants to make that jump. She's hitting the right age at 28... I could see her taking over for Daniela Ryf on the Kona podium. 

2021-04-13 3:00 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Hey, Alan! Yeah, we're still here.  We were around 10 really active members plus a few more occasional, now it's about 5 people on a regular basis.  We are all vicariously racing through Andrew right now, but the 2nd half of 2021 looks good here in the mid-Atlantic .

Were racing vicariously through Andrew, not are. haha. I've been penciling in a few events on the calendar and it looks like my next real race wont be till September. Nothing but a few park runs and maybe zwift races till then. So I'm back to racing as much as those from the north.
2021-04-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by adempsey10

Oh.. I just scrolled up and saw it was IMNZ... 

Andrew, was Ellie Salthouse there?

Yup, I'm from the wrong side of the world and did IMNZ.

No she wasn't here. There were no non NZ based athletes this year. (approx 500 total rather than the usual 12-1500) I think overseas pros were allowed to get visas and come, but none did as it would involve a 14 day stay locked up in an isolation hotel room. Not an ideal way to prep for an Ironman.

Hopefully next year it'll be back to normal.
2021-04-19 8:10 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Just got through my first week of a 8-week build on the bike while re-establishing my swim and run base.  So far so good.  At this point come end of May I'll be "all dressed up and no place to go" other than maybe chasing some KOM Strava segments around here.

Had a really good Zwift race on Saturday and set some all-time power records for me.  I'm now a solid MOP "C" racer...YAY!  Still have zero sprint though.

I have five events on the books right now in August and September.  A sprint tri and 40k TT in August, 100km bike event early September, a crit in mid-September, and then an Oly aquabike at the end.  Hopefully all will go on as planned - so far the main tri organizer around here has started their season and races are happening, though with some modifications like TT starts on the swim.

2021-04-19 3:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
mikeGood job on a solid week. And doubly good that races are happening for you. Another small step for the world getting back to normal. Awesome work on setting some all time records!

After 3 weeks of being a sloth this week I'm trying to restart some sort of training. Aim is for 4 runs, about 2 hours total. I ran this morning, and the run was ok, but my right leg is not great... hip, and knee are playing up a bit, based on dr google I think I've done something to my LT band. So off to an actual dr/physio for me to get properly diagnosed, and some sort of treatment plan.

I also did a very short body weight routine after my run. More to start getting used to doing it than for any real gains. The goal is to be doing some strength stuff 2-3 times a week. It will take a while to build up tho, bullfrog has no core strength at all.

Edited by bulfrog 2021-04-19 3:30 PM
2021-04-20 12:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work Mike, hope at least some of these events are going ahead as planned

Yes, better get that leg checked Andrew, before it gets worse.

Speaking of which, don’t you love getting older. Still working on getting my glutes to stop hurting when I run (the physio found my back wasn’t straight which she thinks was causing the pain down my right leg (glute but also calf). Feels like it is getting a little better.

Yesterday I went swimming for the first time since September, when the lake got too cold. 1 1/2 hours of lap swimming. So naturally I couldn’t sleep last night due to a sharp pain in the shoulder every time I moved....

Pass me a rope....

2021-04-20 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog mikeGood job on a solid week. And doubly good that races are happening for you. Another small step for the world getting back to normal. Awesome work on setting some all time records! After 3 weeks of being a sloth this week I'm trying to restart some sort of training. Aim is for 4 runs, about 2 hours total. I ran this morning, and the run was ok, but my right leg is not great... hip, and knee are playing up a bit, based on dr google I think I've done something to my LT band. So off to an actual dr/physio for me to get properly diagnosed, and some sort of treatment plan. I also did a very short body weight routine after my run. More to start getting used to doing it than for any real gains. The goal is to be doing some strength stuff 2-3 times a week. It will take a while to build up tho, bullfrog has no core strength at all.

Dr. Google knows all.    I had some LT band issues (we think) back in 2011 that caused knee swelling that resulted in a diagnosis of a torn meniscus and surgery.  Probably could've been solved with some foam rolling as when I started doing that the issue went away.  There are conflicting studies on the effectiveness of foam rolling, but even if it's just a placebo for me it keeps me upright.  Your core work should also help with that.  Good luck on figuring it out, and you deserved your three weeks of sloth. 

2021-04-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Good work Mike, hope at least some of these events are going ahead as planned Yes, better get that leg checked Andrew, before it gets worse. Speaking of which, don’t you love getting older. Still working on getting my glutes to stop hurting when I run (the physio found my back wasn’t straight which she thinks was causing the pain down my right leg (glute but also calf). Feels like it is getting a little better. Yesterday I went swimming for the first time since September, when the lake got too cold. 1 1/2 hours of lap swimming. So naturally I couldn’t sleep last night due to a sharp pain in the shoulder every time I moved.... Pass me a rope....

Well maybe zero to 90 minutes isn't the correct ramp up rate.  

Hope it feels better and it's just your body resisting the change in training.

2021-04-20 2:36 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Good work Mike, hope at least some of these events are going ahead as planned Yes, better get that leg checked Andrew, before it gets worse. Speaking of which, don’t you love getting older. Still working on getting my glutes to stop hurting when I run (the physio found my back wasn’t straight which she thinks was causing the pain down my right leg (glute but also calf). Feels like it is getting a little better. Yesterday I went swimming for the first time since September, when the lake got too cold. 1 1/2 hours of lap swimming. So naturally I couldn’t sleep last night due to a sharp pain in the shoulder every time I moved.... Pass me a rope....

Well maybe zero to 90 minutes isn't the correct ramp up rate.  

Hope it feels better and it's just your body resisting the change in training.

Yeah, I know, but I had the afternoon off work and having decided to go swimming, I Couldn’t just stay there for half an hour.
Oh well...

Edited by Rollergirl 2021-04-20 2:38 PM
2021-04-20 3:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Dr. Google knows all.    I had some LT band issues (we think) back in 2011 that caused knee swelling that resulted in a diagnosis of a torn meniscus and surgery.  Probably could've been solved with some foam rolling as when I started doing that the issue went away.  There are conflicting studies on the effectiveness of foam rolling, but even if it's just a placebo for me it keeps me upright.  Your core work should also help with that.  Good luck on figuring it out, and you deserved your three weeks of sloth. 

Turning a minor injury into a major on and possible surgery is my worry. Currently, when I run the leg is sore, but not so bad that it actually restricts/stops me doing anything, so I think I'm still in the minor injury phase... Dr's appointment has been made, unfortunately not till next week. So until then I'm going to do the responsible thing and just slow the restart running plan down. Maybe 2 slow runs this week, with lots of rest between rather than 4. And the hill sprints planned for Monday is definitely off the table.

The strange thing is other than general tiredness and aches etc. I didn't notice any specific injury during my Ironman training, or on the day itself. But first run back, almost from the first step bang something was wrong. And I know I didn't hurt myself during the sloth period. So really not sure when or where I picked it up.

Question, as the IT band effects the hip (which I do have some soreness in too) cycling should also be avoided for now?
2021-04-20 3:38 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Good work Mike, hope at least some of these events are going ahead as planned

Yes, better get that leg checked Andrew, before it gets worse.

Speaking of which, don’t you love getting older. Still working on getting my glutes to stop hurting when I run (the physio found my back wasn’t straight which she thinks was causing the pain down my right leg (glute but also calf). Feels like it is getting a little better.

Yesterday I went swimming for the first time since September, when the lake got too cold. 1 1/2 hours of lap swimming. So naturally I couldn’t sleep last night due to a sharp pain in the shoulder every time I moved....

Pass me a rope....

As they say, the only thing worse than growing old, is not growing old.

90 minutes is a heck of a first swim back. Hope that your shoulder pain is gone quickly and you're back in the lake soon.

2021-04-20 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog

Turning a minor injury into a major on and possible surgery is my worry. Currently, when I run the leg is sore, but not so bad that it actually restricts/stops me doing anything, so I think I'm still in the minor injury phase... Dr's appointment has been made, unfortunately not till next week. So until then I'm going to do the responsible thing and just slow the restart running plan down. Maybe 2 slow runs this week, with lots of rest between rather than 4. And the hill sprints planned for Monday is definitely off the table. The strange thing is other than general tiredness and aches etc. I didn't notice any specific injury during my Ironman training, or on the day itself. But first run back, almost from the first step bang something was wrong. And I know I didn't hurt myself during the sloth period. So really not sure when or where I picked it up. Question, as the IT band effects the hip (which I do have some soreness in too) cycling should also be avoided for now?

I never had any hip issues (other than mine are TIGHT and I have to do a bunch of yoga to keep them sorta flexible...). Just knee swelling and a little bit of pain, but sometimes inflexible hips are the root cause.  Hopefully your physio can figure it out.  Until then I'd take it easy across the board and maybe try an easy 30 minute trainer session followed by some stretching. 

As we age it takes more and more prep / maintenance work to keep us available for SBR training.  Some good IT band/hip stretches are pigeon pose (or dead pigeon pose - the picture on the right is Abi Carver, who does a program called yoga 15 and she is also the lead yoga instructor for The Sufferfest videos):

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-04-20 3:58 PM
2021-04-26 5:54 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

I'm back (well I've been lurking always) but I finally have exercise to report back on, and beer to talk about!

I have done a few bike rides, am back at rugby training and even tried an american football taster session (no pads/contact). I ache like crazy today and obviously need to work on my core!

Had a blast though and am looking forward to more rugby and riding (not the football though as being a wannabe o-line means I don't get to chuck a ball around)

Single Brummie - Talus has been the ale of choice  

What makes a Single Brummie - Talus?

British floor malted barley and wheat, dry hopped with a single hop, Talus. 

Talus is a brand new hop that everyone is talking about. We are excited to be one of the first breweries in the country to get our hands on it.

A must taste - expect pink grapefruit and apricot flavours to burst through.

2021-04-27 1:07 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hey! Sappho! Welcome back!

I envy you playing rugby, one of the sports I regret never having played (if you don’t count a beer fuelled afternoon with my footie team years ago, it’s a miracle nobody got hurt (other than lots of bruises and scratches), aaaahh, memories...

Anyway, glad to hear from you again.

I put my trainer away, my Zwift subscription on hold and changed my back tyre to the regular one. Outdoor cycling season is officially here. So far, I only managed one ride to work (17k) and back but more to come soon!

My main sport has been watching hockey on TV, my town’s team is in the semifinals of the Swedish Hockey League. It’s been very tight matches so far, my BPM is higher than when I ride to work, so I am counting this as cardio

2021-04-27 6:14 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Welcome back Saph, Don't be such a stranger in the future and enjoy the rugby training.

Nathalie, as good as zwift is, outside riding is definitely more fun. Enjoy yourself. How is the shoulder after your 90 minute swim last week?

I'm starting to emerge from my post Ironman slumber. With 2 short easy runs before work so far this week. Also 1 very short body weight routine, more to get used to the idea of doing some strength training than any actual benefit.

As for my dodgy leg, after another 7 days of nothing, the sharp pain I had last week has gone, now I'm getting more of a tightness/dull pain in behind the knee (and above and below) so that scares me less than sharp nasty pain. I'm planning a bit of a longer run tomorrow morning to test things out and off to the Dr tomorrow afternoon. Expecting the dr to send me to the physio, and the physio to get me to warm up properly, and stretch properly. So hopefully no long lay off.
2021-04-28 6:13 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Glad the wheels are feeling better, Andrew.  And welcome back, Sapho!

I'm still plowing through a training build, up to jogging 7-8 minutes and still riding hard three times a week.  Our outdoor pool opens Saturday and it's like half the distance for me to get there so excited about that, though it'll still be a little chilly if I go in the morning.

Today is 90 minutes on Zwift and I thought about riding outdoors, but around here the traffic is so much heavier during the week it's just not worth it.

2021-04-28 2:42 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good news on the leg Andrew it seems! Shoulder is Ok, still a little sore but nothing compared to last week. Didn’t swim this week but I will try again next week.

Yeah, riding outside is a great feeling but you (I) get a better workout on the trainer, I tend to take it too easy and enjoy the ride while I’m outside while I push a lot more on the trainer.

Yeah Mike, outdoor pool! Cool!
2021-04-29 4:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
More good news for my dodgy leg. The Dr did refer me to the physio, but told me not to run until I had been. Fortunately I was able to get an appointment this morning.

And the results are;
All ligaments are intact, so that's good.
I do have some IT band syndrome, so Dr Google was correct, I also have some hamstring issues.
The physio thinks that going cold turkey to no training post Ironman likely contributed to everything tightening up, probably would have been better to do some light running etc. in the weeks after Ironman.
She is amazed I made it though Ironman training with little to no stretching, and no proper injuries.
I am encouraged to keep running, but easy paced only.
I've got a pre and post run stretching/foam rolling routine to follow.

So overall, As good a result as I could have hoped for. Will go for another run tomorrow which will be 4 for the week.

Nathalie, I totally agree about the benefits of trainer riding. A year on the spin bike followed by the smart trainer investment was the best thing I've ever done for my riding. Better workouts, and more convenient. So that's going to be 90% plus of my riding going forwards. Blasting along on the aero bars outside is still more fun tho

Have a good weekend everyone.
2021-04-29 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

To agree with Nathalie and Andrew, my purchase of my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine almost ten years ago (now approaching 15,000 miles on the BT odometer!!) is the single best thing for training I've ever purchased.  2nd place is probably my foam roller.

Glad to hear you've figured out the issues, Andrew.  Funny you've made it 40+ years without worrying about stretching, etc.  I had to start in my 20s, like early 20s because I played so many fast twitch sports like volleyball, basketball, and soccer that you had to be warmed up and loose.

I did a double today, 6 AM 1700 SCY in the pool with some strength work afterwards, then a lunch run (sorta) in the warm drizzle.  Also had a dentist appointment so a big day for me! 

2021-04-29 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Glad to hear you've figured out the issues, Andrew.  Funny you've made it 40+ years without worrying about stretching, etc.  I had to start in my 20s, like early 20s because I played so many fast twitch sports like volleyball, basketball, and soccer that you had to be warmed up and loose.

40+ years? Ouch. Mid 30's thank you very much. I'm old, but not that old. haha. I suppose because I never played team sports like that in my youth I never developed proper warm up / stretching habits. In my pre triathlon life I used to race sail boats (now there's a sport that makes triathlon look cheap) And although I was reasonably competitive it's not really a sport with a bit athletic focus.
2021-04-30 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Glad to hear you've figured out the issues, Andrew.  Funny you've made it 40+ years without worrying about stretching, etc.  I had to start in my 20s, like early 20s because I played so many fast twitch sports like volleyball, basketball, and soccer that you had to be warmed up and loose.
40+ years? Ouch. Mid 30's thank you very much. I'm old, but not that old. haha. I suppose because I never played team sports like that in my youth I never developed proper warm up / stretching habits. In my pre triathlon life I used to race sail boats (now there's a sport that makes triathlon look cheap) And although I was reasonably competitive it's not really a sport with a bit athletic focus.

LOL!  My bad.  I thought I saw you in the M40-44 AG on the race trackers.  

Yeah, I can imagine moving "down" to triathlon from sail boat racing saved some coin.

2021-04-30 9:02 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!!! I just spent a bit catching up...whew I missed a lot this last month!

Andrew - awesome job on the IM! And happy to hear your knee injury appears to be nothing serious! I had an IT band injury in college and foam rolling definitely did the trick.

Alan - HI! Welcome back! Glad to hear you're doing well and having success in coaching! Let me know if you ever do any races in/around Maryland!

Seems like everyone is doing well/gearing up for summer (other than Andrew of course). I myself just started getting back into my routine. I traveled the first 3 weekends in April, drank a lot (but didn't track what I drank because I'm the worst...lots of great breweries though). Before my travels I'd been doing some trail running in preparation for my ragnar, but really didn't do much between (was also still dealing with my basement project...finally have a concrete floor after 7 weeks! And a washer/dryer again!).

This week, I played some volleyball Monday night (beach doubles...I know it's not SBR but I count it anyway b/c it makes me happy), ran Tuesday and Thursday, and went to my gym Wednesday and this morning. Trying to get my base back. Have a football game tomorrow, and then am possibly going to do another trail run Sunday, although they are doing 12 miles and I definitely cannot do that much at this point. Feels good to be back! Also want to do some yoga tomorrow morning and need to get it back into my regular routine. My hamstrings are TIGHT!

I've missed you guys! Anyone hear from Gretchen lately?
2021-04-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I've missed you guys! Anyone hear from Gretchen lately?

Welcome back, Nicole!

Haven't heard from Gretchen in weeks - I PM'd her with no response...hoping everything is OK.

2021-05-02 3:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike The nice thing about sailing tho, is I could sail on other peoples boats. People get grumpy if you try to jump on someone elses bike in T1.

Nicole Nice to see you back, and gearing up for summer. Are you brave enough to plan any races for the summer?

Me 4 runs last week, 3 x 20 minute and 1 x 40 minute, all easy paced. After a couple of runs after my first physio, I'm a big fan of the pre run dynamic stretching. It may be coincidence, but I've had the least pain/tightness on the 2 runs I've used the prescribed warm up. foam rolling however, not a fan. Especially the IT band one. Big pain. But I will stick with it, and I'm sure it'll get better.

Aim for this week is 5 runs (3 x 20 min, 2 x 40 min, all easy) and 2 x 30 min zwift rides.... something closer to normal life.

Also, I did a thing.

Entries for the Tauranga Half Ironman opened on the weekend. Opening special was $50 saving... I didn't really have a choice with that sort of deal.
Looks like I've confirmed my A race target for next summer

Hope you all had a good weekend.
2021-05-03 2:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Mike The nice thing about sailing tho, is I could sail on other peoples boats. People get grumpy if you try to jump on someone elses bike in T1.

LOL
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) --Always Open Rss Feed  

of 31