Other Resources The Political Joe » Power grid Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-02-18 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Power grid
“ NBC News reports that Texas officials said the state’s primary power grid was “seconds or minutes” from catastrophic failure on Sunday night. The agency imposed rolling outages to prevent the collapse of the entire grid.”

Texas power shortage i the news with both sides spinning to support their agenda.

We had the potential for power outages here. We have 2 kerosene heaters and spare fuel on hand. We have large generator. We have Coleman stoves. We have a gas grill. We could easily live life as almost normal for over a week. We could survive indefinitely without the gubment coming in to save us.

Windmills freezing up is a design problem and needs to be addressed. As an engineer I am appalled there were not heaters to avoid the freezing of the windmills.

In these uncertain times, I’m thinking more and more about self sufficiently and being able to survive off the grid....without government coming to the rescue.

Read they are asking people in Houston to boil drinking water. Hmmm. Good reason to buy a few cases of Desani IMO.

Not trying to start a panic but just curious if recent events has triggered different thinking?

2021-02-18 4:49 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Power grid

Originally posted by Rogillio “ NBC News reports that Texas officials said the state’s primary power grid was “seconds or minutes” from catastrophic failure on Sunday night. The agency imposed rolling outages to prevent the collapse of the entire grid.” Texas power shortage i the news with both sides spinning to support their agenda. We had the potential for power outages here. We have 2 kerosene heaters and spare fuel on hand. We have large generator. We have Coleman stoves. We have a gas grill. We could easily live life as almost normal for over a week. We could survive indefinitely without the gubment coming in to save us. Windmills freezing up is a design problem and needs to be addressed. As an engineer I am appalled there were not heaters to avoid the freezing of the windmills. In these uncertain times, I’m thinking more and more about self sufficiently and being able to survive off the grid....without government coming to the rescue. Read they are asking people in Houston to boil drinking water. Hmmm. Good reason to buy a few cases of Desani IMO. Not trying to start a panic but just curious if recent events has triggered different thinking?

Windmills in the Midwest have heaters, so don’t be so quick to blame designers.  Someone could have checked the box but didn’t and probably got rewarded for saving $$$

2021-02-19 10:35 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Power grid

Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by Rogillio “ NBC News reports that Texas officials said the state’s primary power grid was “seconds or minutes” from catastrophic failure on Sunday night. The agency imposed rolling outages to prevent the collapse of the entire grid.” Texas power shortage i the news with both sides spinning to support their agenda. We had the potential for power outages here. We have 2 kerosene heaters and spare fuel on hand. We have large generator. We have Coleman stoves. We have a gas grill. We could easily live life as almost normal for over a week. We could survive indefinitely without the gubment coming in to save us. Windmills freezing up is a design problem and needs to be addressed. As an engineer I am appalled there were not heaters to avoid the freezing of the windmills. In these uncertain times, I’m thinking more and more about self sufficiently and being able to survive off the grid....without government coming to the rescue. Read they are asking people in Houston to boil drinking water. Hmmm. Good reason to buy a few cases of Desani IMO. Not trying to start a panic but just curious if recent events has triggered different thinking?

Windmills in the Midwest have heaters, so don’t be so quick to blame designers.  Someone could have checked the box but didn’t and probably got rewarded for saving $$$

The entire Texas power generation system suffered from not being hardened for cold weather to save some money, the whole "it's the windmills" is a red herring argument around the feasibility of renewable energy, but your point is correct that thousands of windmills operate is sometimes sub-zero temperatures without issue.  Even one of the nuclear reactors had to shut down because the turbine housing didn't even have a roof (!!!).

As for Rog's comment on being prepared, yes it's prudent to have supplies ready to survive a week without water/food/etc.  Heat is a tough one as wood-burning fireplaces aren't as prevalent as they used to be and even gas fireplaces run on electric starters.  You should be able to easily shut off the water inside your house, but many homes don't have that feature.

I"m not a global warming alarmist but it's clear we need to be able to react to more and more impactful weather events like this, regardless of their cause.  Having some self-sufficiency (isn't that what Texas is all about anyway?) helps at a micro level but that doesn't fix the power grid.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Power grid Rss Feed