Other Resources The Political Joe » Vaccine left/right Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-02-24 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Vaccine left/right
“ Last November, before any vaccines had been approved, the gap between Democrats who said they planned to get vaccinated (51 percent) and Republicans who said the same (43 percent) was relatively small. Not anymore. Now, a full 78 percent of Democrats say they have gotten vaccinated or will get vaccinated versus just 47 percent of Republicans — a 31-point chasm.

Among Republicans who haven’t been vaccinated yet, a plurality (44 percent) say they will “never” go through with it. And while most Democrats and independents who were unsure about vaccination back in November now favor it, the opposite is true among previously unsure Republicans, who either remain undecided (25 percent) or have split evenly between the “yes” and “no” camps — making the GOP the only political group with more noes now than before the election.”

This does not surprise me. I think in general Republicans are more skeptical of the gubment than democrats who tend to rely more on gubment.

Of course, I’m sure demographics is a large part of this. People who live in rural areas (republicans) probably don’t feel as vulnerable as those who live in the population centers (democrats).

2021-02-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Vaccine left/right
Originally posted by Rogillio

“ Last November, before any vaccines had been approved, the gap between Democrats who said they planned to get vaccinated (51 percent) and Republicans who said the same (43 percent) was relatively small. Not anymore. Now, a full 78 percent of Democrats say they have gotten vaccinated or will get vaccinated versus just 47 percent of Republicans — a 31-point chasm.

Among Republicans who haven’t been vaccinated yet, a plurality (44 percent) say they will “never” go through with it. And while most Democrats and independents who were unsure about vaccination back in November now favor it, the opposite is true among previously unsure Republicans, who either remain undecided (25 percent) or have split evenly between the “yes” and “no” camps — making the GOP the only political group with more noes now than before the election.”

This does not surprise me. I think in general Republicans are more skeptical of the gubment than democrats who tend to rely more on gubment.

Of course, I’m sure demographics is a large part of this. People who live in rural areas (republicans) probably don’t feel as vulnerable as those who live in the population centers (democrats).

I think some undecided folks, and those who said no months ago, changed their minds seeing that vaccinated people are doing well. There was a lot of fear on the vaccine aspects, some reasonable, some not, but once you see your friends, families, coworkers vaccinated, and seing them doing fine, one feels more comfortable with their decision to go yes.
2021-02-25 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rogillio “ Last November, before any vaccines had been approved, the gap between Democrats who said they planned to get vaccinated (51 percent) and Republicans who said the same (43 percent) was relatively small. Not anymore. Now, a full 78 percent of Democrats say they have gotten vaccinated or will get vaccinated versus just 47 percent of Republicans — a 31-point chasm. Among Republicans who haven’t been vaccinated yet, a plurality (44 percent) say they will “never” go through with it. And while most Democrats and independents who were unsure about vaccination back in November now favor it, the opposite is true among previously unsure Republicans, who either remain undecided (25 percent) or have split evenly between the “yes” and “no” camps — making the GOP the only political group with more noes now than before the election.” This does not surprise me. I think in general Republicans are more skeptical of the gubment than democrats who tend to rely more on gubment. Of course, I’m sure demographics is a large part of this. People who live in rural areas (republicans) probably don’t feel as vulnerable as those who live in the population centers (democrats).

The most skeptical group of all would likely be the ones you insinuate are reliant on the government, the inner-city African-American population (and for good reason) so I'm not sure the correlation is accurate there.  The difference is that in Dem areas (painting with a broad brush here) there is a campaign to get people vaccinated vs. the not-insignificant number of Reps who believe the vaccine is a conspiracy designed by Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos to track you.

People have to make their own risk assessment, but we aren't alone on this blue marble and our personal decisions impact others, and that's probably more so in urban / suburban areas so yeah, I could see the urban vs. rural thing.

2021-02-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm not left, so I guess that makes me a racist misogynist transphobic, so with that preamble...

My understanding of the vaccines currently on offer: They don't prevent you from contracting the C-19 virus, nor from transmitting it to some one else. All it does is prevent you from suffering symptoms of having it (like all the asymptomatic cases already testing positive to great surprise to the testee), and it only does that for a period of time.

So how does not taking the vaccine affect so many other people? (relax, I realize that those suffering severe symptoms needing hospitalization are a "burden on society")

Edited by briderdt 2021-02-25 12:13 PM
2021-02-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by briderdt

I'm not left, so I guess that makes me a racist misogynist transphobic, so with that preamble...

My understanding of the vaccines currently on offer: They don't prevent you from contracting the C-19 virus, nor from transmitting it to some one else. All it does is prevent you from suffering symptoms of having it (like all the asymptomatic cases already testing positive to great surprise to the testee), and it only does that for a period of time.

So how does not taking the vaccine affect so many other people? (relax, I realize that those suffering severe symptoms needing hospitalization are a "burden on society")

The studies of how much they reduce transmission are still underway.

But some of the vaccines do reduce, but do not eliminate transmission and more importantly reduce mutation.

2021-02-25 2:22 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by marcag

The studies of how much they reduce transmission are still underway. But some of the vaccines do reduce, but do not eliminate transmission and more importantly reduce mutation.

Yeah, but what about those emails?

2021-02-25 2:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

The studies of how much they reduce transmission are still underway. But some of the vaccines do reduce, but do not eliminate transmission and more importantly reduce mutation.

Yeah, but what about those emails?

Sorry that one went 50 feet over my head.

But since it's in pink....I guess it's safe

Edited by marcag 2021-02-25 2:38 PM
2021-03-01 4:05 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

I'm registered No Party Preference so not waiting for the left or right to tell me whether to get it - I did.
It reduces severe cases and deaths.  Zero hospitalizations and deaths from Israeli data
There is trending data showing that Pfizer might reduce transmission as well
More importantly (IMO) a virus that cannot multiply cannot mutate and make your vaccine useless
Reading that 60 something percent of white republicans will refuse it.  Absolutely do not get that, at all 

2021-03-22 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
How to get the right vaccinated. Brilliant !!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/krispy-kreme-free-doughnut-every-day-20...

Edited by marcag 2021-03-22 3:55 PM
2021-05-13 12:56 PM

User image

DC
Illuminating conversation which I appreciate.

Thankfully, mine are OK as far as bio acceptance of vaccines. This said, I do respect folk, "it's my body" perspective. Hey, if they they/they love ones die out by "science" choice, I respect that too.
2021-05-13 1:18 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Pro

There are no vaccines in my family.  Even my 89 year old mother-in-law is laughing at this dumbness.  (she was patient zero for nearly the whole family contracting it over Thanksgiving)  We all barely made it.

2021-05-14 4:21 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Based on what the CDC said yesterday, this thing is over!

Some, including me, will never take the vaccine. I trust my immune system to do what it is supposed to do. 58 years without a flu shot and I’ve never had the flu. When a bug was going around the office, I never got it. Covid has been around for 17 months and I have not changed my life one bit and I’ve not gotten it.

Frankly, I believe the drop in cases is due to herd immunity not the vaccine....but we will never know.
2021-05-14 2:16 PM

User image

Pro

Nasty bug....but NOTHING that even came close to warranting the shutting down of society.

IN any given year, if you test everyone who dies from a heart attack, a stroke, cancer, etc. for the flu, and then label their cause of death as flu....as has been done with covid,  the number would be big and scary to most people.....just like covid is.  

As someone who has worked through the "pandemic" in the public, and been exposed hundreds, if not thousands,  of times....I didn't buy it on day 1, and I sure as hell don't buy it a year later.

Edited by Left Brain 2021-05-14 2:17 PM
2021-05-15 6:16 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Now that the CDC has removed the mask mandate we are seeing some who refuse to stop wearing them. Pelosi still requires masks in congress despite everyone being vaccinated. This speaks volumes. It indicates they do not trust the vaccine works! In theory, if you have been vaccinated you a no longer a risk of getting it or spreading it. So why the mask? It’s ironic that everyone is pushing people to get vaccinated but still want people to wear masks,
2021-05-15 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Rogillio Now that the CDC has removed the mask mandate we are seeing some who refuse to stop wearing them. Pelosi still requires masks in congress despite everyone being vaccinated. This speaks volumes. It indicates they do not trust the vaccine works! In theory, if you have been vaccinated you a no longer a risk of getting it or spreading it. So why the mask? It’s ironic that everyone is pushing people to get vaccinated but still want people to wear masks,

Pelosi continuing the mask mandate has nothing to do with her trust in the vaccine and everything to do with relinquishing any perceived power.

2021-05-18 3:05 AM

Right

2021-06-05 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

And so it starts...

my employer just updated travel requirements and unvaccinated travelers must get tested before travel.  

A requirement that WASN’T in place 3 months ago

Edited by McFuzz 2021-06-05 9:27 AM
2021-06-09 5:53 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Champion
Alabama
“ Naked bikers are set to hit the Philadelphia streets in a couple of months for an event that won't require clothing except for one specific item – a face mask.”

Butt naked on a bike wearing a face mask. Sounds like a real hoot!

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Vaccine left/right Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Will you get the vaccine shot? Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1991 Posts: 29

2020-12-31 11:58 PM chirunner134