General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buoyancy Shorts - do they help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-05-29 9:13 AM

Subject: Buoyancy Shorts - do they help
Hello all, I am a complete newbie here. I have run races and have been cycling for the last 3 years and now want to try my hand at a tri. So swinging Is my weakest activity right now. Do bouyancy shorts help? I’m a sinker and my legs drop when I swim. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance.

2021-05-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: 1stepforward

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Buoyancy Shorts - do they help

Probably not as much as some lessons from a swim coach.

sinking legs are symptomatic of someone with either:

weak or ineffective kick
Lifting the head rather than rotating to breathe 

2021-05-30 8:12 AM
in reply to: #5276350

Thank you McFuzz. I do plan on swim lessons to help with my form. Even though I have been a life long swimmer I had no idea how bad of a form I have until i started to swim laps.
2021-05-31 11:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by 1stepforward

Thank you McFuzz. I do plan on swim lessons to help with my form. Even though I have been a life long swimmer I had no idea how bad of a form I have until i started to swim laps.

Goofy but interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW5nE5FBPsQ
2021-06-03 11:05 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

BT has a good TI video that helped me a lot a long time ago.  The key was to establish balance in the water, to raise the legs it has to start up front with dropping the hands, which will lower the shoulders and everything connected to them! The other help with lowering the hands in the water was I could then perform a better catch which helped with the stoke and distance per stroke.  It was a real 'aha' moment for me in swimming. 

You can view and download the TI video here: https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/uploads/TISolvingSpeed.mp4

For the balance discussion you can forward to ~ 31:40.

2021-06-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Denver, Colorado
Total Immersion helped me tremendously! I bought their book (for pennies on Amazon) and efter several chapters I already got the idea. I am not fast swimmer, but at least my body position is much better, and I could swim for longer. Definitely look into it.

As for the shorts, they helped me - not as much as wetsuit, but I saw the difference of swimming with it vs only regular swimsuit. The help was not super significant, though, so don't count on it too heavily.

2021-06-07 6:38 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm about 11 years into AOS (Adult Onset Swimming ).  The #1 improvement for me is getting my legs out of the way.  I have no real propulsion in my kick - it's simply a tool to get my legs out of the water.  I struggled with this concept for years, trying to achieve a "balanced" body position.  Problem with most of us leg sinkers is that when we think we're balanced. we're not even close.  I then learned to "swim downhill" more - head lower, reaching a little lower in the water on the catch, which has then brought up my legs.  They still drag like crazy because I have totally inflexible feet and I get lazy when I fatigue, but it's way better than 10 years ago, or even a couple of years ago where my swimming technique was to overpower the water with my catch/pull.

One day I'll put both concepts together LOL.

2021-06-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: #5276354

Thanks for all the insite. Now off to the pools to give it a go
2021-06-12 8:26 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome back.  

I had another thought.  Are you wearing swim trunks or jammers?  

if you’re not wearing jammers, the drag from trunks also slows you way down which can contribute (less than head position and kick) to sinking legs.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buoyancy Shorts - do they help Rss Feed