General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist etiquette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-06-12 2:03 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: Cyclist etiquette

Not many rules to cycling but i'd like to cover a few. Feel free to add: 

Stay to the right & allow others to pass freely.

Don't hog the entire road- ride single file if required

If you're leading the pack and see a hazard point it out to others. They may not see the same thing due to traffic

If you pass a cyclist in need offer assistance. 

Pick up your old tube, co2 and gu packages SMH

Not a requirement but a suggestion- ENJOY and SMILE!!!

Edited by jbjboc 2021-06-12 2:04 PM

2021-06-13 8:48 AM
in reply to: jbjboc

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cyclist etiquette

Originally posted by jbjboc

Not many rules to cycling but i'd like to cover a few. Feel free to add: 

Stay to the right & allow others to pass freely.

Don't hog the entire road- ride single file if required

If you're leading the pack and see a hazard point it out to others. They may not see the same thing due to traffic

If you pass a cyclist in need offer assistance. 

Pick up your old tube, co2 and gu packages SMH

Not a requirement but a suggestion- ENJOY and SMILE!!!

if you see someone new, ask if they’ve done much group riding.

if you see somebody new, ask if they know the signs your group uses.  If they don’t, share them.

if you see somebody new, ask them how far and how fast they’re planning to ride and work with the group to get them properly incorporated. be willing to get them back safely even if it means not riding with your besties 

if you’re the newbie, honestly answer these questions.  A lot of times, big groups break into A, B, and C groups based on abilities and expectations.  Unless you’re already a bike monster, don’t hook up with the A group.  

2021-06-13 5:22 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Rule #43 on the velominati. We're all brothers and sisters on the road.Take care of each other.
2021-06-14 4:50 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Denver, Colorado
As a biker and runner, I really appreciate cyclist yell "on your right" or "passing" when they approach. Especially when the path is not too wide. I have when I run and bikers just sonic-speed along my side. What if I tripped or wanted to move to the side? (and fyi - I don't use music/headphones, so hearing is not an issue for me).

On the runner side, as a cyclist, I hate when runners listen to their music (or whatever) too loud, so they won't hear bikers yelling anyway... I experienced it so many times, on a very narrow path (mountain biking), in a difficult moment, when I really needed to pass... i was yelling like crazy, I almost decided to delicately ride on the runner's heels so that she would realized she was not by herself....
2021-06-22 5:09 PM

All the rules mentioned are great. I have another couple of things to add:

1) Do not make sudden moves if you can avoid it. Stay smooth hold you line.

2) Try not to overlap the rear wheel the rider in front of you with your front wheel.

2021-06-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: browncd

User image

Cypress, Texas

Following....I don't have any experience with group rides other than races.  

2021-06-23 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
It goes without saying but I didn't see it mentioned yet; in a group, it's very important to call out or give a hand signal for holes/creases/plates because anyone behind the second rider likely won't see them if you don't say something. Faster the group is moving, the harder it is to do so it really falls to those first couple of riders to speak up.
2021-06-23 6:32 AM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by alltom1 It goes without saying but I didn't see it mentioned yet; in a group, it's very important to call out or give a hand signal for holes/creases/plates because anyone behind the second rider likely won't see them if you don't say something. Faster the group is moving, the harder it is to do so it really falls to those first couple of riders to speak up.

To pile on to this, you need to REALLY pay attention in group rides, vs. just cranking along solo.  And you're likely going 20-30% (or more) faster than you're used to.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclist etiquette Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

2008 Specialized Transition Pro Seatpost for Tall Long-Legged Cyclist

Started by IronNinja
Views: 417 Posts: 1

2021-02-14 7:44 PM IronNinja