Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun fail Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-06-20 5:24 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Gun fail
On the 18th The Federalist had an article on gun control and AR15s. The article showed a photo of a rifle that was was supposed to be an AR15. But if you look closely at the photo you can clearly see the picture shows a rifle with a selector switch in full automatic mode. Only and AR15 doesn’t have a fully automatic mode!

I sent the author of the article an email pointing this out. I noticed today the photo with the article has been changed. I’m sure they got hundreds or thousands of such emails.

I will attach the after and before pictures.

Edited by Rogillio 2021-06-20 5:26 AM

Attachments
----------------
CE75EEA1-D89E-4DD5-9CF9-DF38FD526BA5.jpeg (996KB - 19 downloads)
5DD5B520-1897-49E2-AEF3-2D07D527ED78.jpeg (407KB - 19 downloads)

2021-06-20 5:40 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Gun fail

You'll have to forgive my ignorance as I know just enough about guns to sound like an idiot.  Can't they be modified to fully auto?  Agree that posting a picture showing exactly why people fear these guns doesn't help the intent of the article.  Not that anyone advocating for bans reads The Federalist, but still.  

The 2nd A discussion / argument is such a mess in this country.  Both sides engage in complete hysterics while we don't enforce laws on the books.

2021-06-20 6:12 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Gun fail
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

You'll have to forgive my ignorance as I know just enough about guns to sound like an idiot.  Can't they be modified to fully auto?  Agree that posting a picture showing exactly why people fear these guns doesn't help the intent of the article.  Not that anyone advocating for bans reads The Federalist, but still.  

The 2nd A discussion / argument is such a mess in this country.  Both sides engage in complete hysterics while we don't enforce laws on the books.

From a buddy of mine. Addresses you question:

As you know, the original weapon was created by and for the military and given the designation M-16. Later there was a demand for a civilian legal version of the M-16 and was created strictly for civilian use in a civilian legal semiautomatic format. The designation of AR-15 was come up with which means semi-auto and makes the weapon by definition a semiautomatic.
There are how ever people that did modify the guts of the receivers back in the day so their AR-15 would fire full-auto. Now the modern receivers today are built in such a way that the inside is cast as to not allow those modifications to be completed without first having to do some milling work to the inside of the receiver (not easy to do).
There are some trigger kits available out there called "binary triggers" that can be installed fairly easily on an AR-15 that allow the gun to have the selector switch to be placed in the full-auto spot and when done so the gun will fire when the trigger is pulled and fir
e again when the trigger is released. Hence if you pull the trigger very fast you got yourself a basic full auto knock off that is 100%, by ATF definition of what a machine gun is, perfectly legal. But for it to work correctly you must also purchase a full-auto bolt carrier group and replace the original AR-15 semiautomatic bolt carrier group. Binary trigger and new bcg will run you about $600-$700.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Gun fail Rss Feed