General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg Issues - How Do I Train? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-06-26 6:58 AM

Reading, Pennsylvania
Subject: Leg Issues - How Do I Train?
Hello everyone!

I've been doing sprint tri's for 13 years now (not that I've done them *every* year) but I'm now 49 and I've been having leg issues - mainly hamstring. I'm trying to train the best that I can but I'm, well, limited. I've never followed a formal training program, but I'd like to start. I took a look at this one (https://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=261) but there's no way my legs can take that much. I can definitely complete a sprint, I just have to take my training easy to a degree and lower my expectations.

What resources are there for someone who needs help training at my age with some physical issues? I want to do the best that I am able to without really injuring myself. Right now, I'm just kind of winging it - trying to train and rest the best that I can on my own. I also am not sure the best way to "rest" my legs.

I need some help! : )

Thanks,
Steve

Edited by SteveRuns 2021-06-26 6:59 AM

2021-06-26 8:44 PM
in reply to: SteveRuns

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Leg Issues - How Do I Train?

i haven’t looked at that plan, but most are structured to provide recovery time.  I think most of the BT plans are duration based (I.e. run 35 minutes) rather than distance based.  

you might get some massages and a sports massage therapist can recommend stretched and exercises to help your hamstrings. 

2021-06-28 1:54 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

You've likely approached the age where it is important to do certain things, and prepare yourself in certain ways, to be able to execute on the training plans you want to do.  Be happy it didn't start until your late 40s!

For me, there is a certain amount of activity (yoga, strength, core, stretching) that I have to do as table stakes to be able to train and race.  If I neglect it, my body breaks down.  Everyone is going to be different in this regard (mine is measured in multiple hours a week...) but a physical therapist can probably help you sort it out pretty quickly and you move on by yourself from there.

2021-06-30 2:29 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

What type of Hamstring issues are you having? 

Muscle Cramps? Knots in your muscles? Partial Muscle Tears? Mild strain?  Lactate build-up?  Jello legs, Tightness? Swelling? Bruising? Other?

2021-07-06 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Check and see if your health insurance covers physical therapy. If you are dealing with pain and discomfort that is bad enough that you can't do the exercise you like, they will take a look at you and recommend strength exercises, stretching and maybe even examine your running gait on a treadmill to see what you can adjust to make it more comfortable.

Another option would be to do races that offer a relay option and form a team where someone else does the run or the bike section.
2021-07-08 6:07 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

Reading, Pennsylvania
Hi Alice. I'll check but I wouldn't say this is from a serious injury. I can walk and get around okay, without pain, it just prevents me from running and biking further. Earlier this week, it started to get aggravated after two miles (I am only running for 3 miles).

I'll still check into it and see if some type of physical therapist is covered. Also, I have a high deductible plan, so it could get expensive for me to see one.

Thanks.

2021-07-08 6:10 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Reading, Pennsylvania
Hi Curtis,

It's a general stiffness and soreness. It was a bit worse earlier in the year. It doesn't bother me much when I am just walking around, but once I run or bike it seems to sore kind of quickly. I am just not sure how to properly rest, stretch and get it to recover.

Thanks.
2021-07-08 6:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Reading, Pennsylvania
Hi Mike,

Agreed, I think it mainly has to do with my age, and also the fact that my entire left side is a little stiffer than my right, and that's mainly showing itself in my hamstring. I am just trying to figure out what types of recovery and stretching methods to use. I do a little stretching and massaging in the evenings before bed, but it's just what I think is best.

Also, I stand while working, which, over the years, has helped my hamstring to not be as tight.

I think I just need a little more information and more targeted exercises and stretches. Sometimes I wear compression calf socks, which helps my left calf recover more quickly, but I don't think they have something like that for hamstrings.

What types of things do you do?

Thanks!
2021-07-08 10:02 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by SteveRuns Hi Curtis, It's a general stiffness and soreness. It was a bit worse earlier in the year. It doesn't bother me much when I am just walking around, but once I run or bike it seems to sore kind of quickly. I am just not sure how to properly rest, stretch and get it to recover. Thanks.

Gotcha!   General stiffness and soreness are understandable.  When I was training for my first Triathlon my bike training regimen consisted of doing a 17-1/2 mile out-and-back every other day with the goal of trying to beat my fastest time every day.  My legs were always stiff and sore.  Turns out that my intensity was too high and when I moved from racing every day to following a structured plan I was able to get through the training with only a mild lactate burn for a few hours after workouts and then no soreness or stiffness after that.  Ya...it sounds like recovery is the culprit.  

2021-07-08 2:56 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I want to second (fifth) the physical therapist recommendation.  Where I am located there are at least two sports clinics that offer a "running gait analysis" kind of program where they watch you run, often video tape, and then help you understand you issues and how to resolve them.  I would look for some kind of sport-specific program.  You may have to pay out of pocket, but it's entirely focused on your athletic goals instead of requiring a specific medical condition.   Both programs I have access to are about $300 for a session.

I did this a few years ago  and received absolutely priceless advice.  Since then I have kept away several recurring issues and just understand my body a lot better.   And you can stretch too much (or incorrectly) so if you have an ongoing, more unusual problem, I would be wary of just throwing more stretches at it  

Best of luck!

2021-07-10 6:51 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Reading, Pennsylvania
Thank you Ayn and Curtis!

I'll have to check around and see if there is a sports clinic that might be able to help me out, though I don't have the cash right now. This issue isn't going to go away on its own, or anytime soon (I'm not getting any younger), so I need to think of the longer term.

I just happened to come across this hamstring stretching schedule (morning and evening) via a YouTube channel I subscribe to. Going to give this a try and see if it helps!

Fix Tight Hamstrings in 22 Days
https://youtu.be/GX7Vz8OWwUI

-Steve

2021-07-12 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Originally posted by SteveRuns

Hi Curtis,

It's a general stiffness and soreness. It was a bit worse earlier in the year. It doesn't bother me much when I am just walking around, but once I run or bike it seems to sore kind of quickly. I am just not sure how to properly rest, stretch and get it to recover.

Thanks.

It might be worth getting it checked by a physiotherapist. I had a similar sounding issue a while back. I could walk around fine, without pain, but when I tried to run it seemed like my upper hamstring got very sore, very quickly. After a couple months of that, I saw a physio. Turns out I had injured my, piriformis if I have the right muscle name. A small mostly stabilizing muscle that rotates the leg outwards at the back, so with a knee bent that muscle pulls the heel behind you out to the side. Once I started some exercises targeting and strengthening that muscle, I was soon able to run without pain. Good luck.

Edit to add: and I was in my 50's at the time.

Edited by Micawber 2021-07-12 2:05 PM
2021-07-14 5:48 AM
in reply to: Micawber

Reading, Pennsylvania
Thanks, Dwayne! I will take a look around to see who is in my area. I'm confused by the terms though. Is a physiotherapist the same as a physical therapist? Then there's also a sports physical therapist. Ack, I'm not sure! Maybe it'll make more sense once I actually start checking around.

-Steve
2021-07-14 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
I'm 51 and began having lower leg issues about 4 years ago off and on, mostly calf injuries to upper and soleus. My son is a chiropractor and recommended Graston therapy, which seems to be working. I have to spend far more time stretching than I ever have. I have to plan in 10-15 min to warm up before a workout, where I used to tie my shoes and take off.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leg Issues - How Do I Train? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

06.29.2012 - Monday Training and Training Roads Plans

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 469 Posts: 1

2020-06-29 11:42 AM BlueBoy26

Training with Shingles

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 12839 Posts: 22

2021-04-24 2:21 AM harberxkun

Strength training - nautilus vs free weights?

Started by smrancourt
Views: 7154 Posts: 14

2021-04-29 10:35 AM hendrenukx48

Bikes for Kids doing Triathlon

Started by Hook'em
Views: 25329 Posts: 17

2021-04-22 10:11 AM kauffmandorthysh11

Building a transition rack. How to drill holes and crimp legs?

Started by faded_memories
Views: 14120 Posts: 14

2021-04-28 9:55 PM mayergztuz