RunTIME
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 5/98
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Drank and ensure and ate 2 pop tarts. Jennifer had some coffee before we left. Quick 15 minute drive to race start. Picked up our bibs & timing chip and just kinda hung out at the starting area for 45 minutes before the race started.
Event warmup:

Did some jogging and tried to be pretty nice and warmed up before the race. Got lined up at the front so I didn't have to trip over little kids or anything. Race start at 7:30am
Run
  • 23m 57s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 47s  min/km
Comments:

I wanted to start out fast and hopefully hold that pace throughout. I did well at first and of course there's always a couple little kids that shoot out really fast. There was 1 kid that was maybe 5 that was way out in front. I thought it was cute. Within the first 200 feet or so, I was in the top 4 and a couple guys passed me. I tried figuring out how good they were going to be and I thought I could maybe beat them. Then, another guy passed me, and I was like, nope, he's definitely going to win the race. Sure enough, he did, with a 19:00 time! 2nd place was 20:00. No way I was going to compete for 1st or 2nd, haha.
I really just wanted to see how I could do if I tried. I've really done zero training for a fast 5k, just my normal low effort runs for a long time now.
I ran as fast as could and held nothing back.
What would you do differently?:

Because it was a smaller venue, I knew I'd do better. Seeing that 1st & 2nd place got 20:00 or under, I don't really think there would have been anything I could've done differently to win. 3rd & 4th spots were much more within my grasp and they beat me by about a minute. More speed training and I could've maybe given them a run for the money.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and caught my breath a tiny bit and then started walking the course backwards to find Jennifer. Found a bench to sit on eventually and waited for her and then walked/jogged with her to the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Needed a little better cardio and definitely more speed work if I want to do better. This is how I can perform on just low effort runs for a year.

Event comments:

Just wanted to see how well I could do without any specific training. I was both pleasantly surprised and not pleasantly surprised. I thought I could've done a little better overall since it was a small race, but I also thought I did well with time & effort based on all my training runs.

Last updated: 2021-07-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:57 | 05 kms | 04m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 5/98
Performance: Good
Course: Out & back through parking lot & trinity trails. Flat and the few pedestrians we encountered at that early hour were aware and didn't get in our way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes