Mexico
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 53m 11s
Overall Rank = 47/773
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/126
Pre-race routine:

I didn't have access to a bagel or glazed donuts (:( ) so I had to settled with cheap coffee and wheat bread with nutella. 24oz of gatorade (not my normal 32oz... let the bad nutrition plan begin)
Event warmup:

5 min easy swim and active stretching
Swim
  • 33m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yet another mediocre swim. I spent a lot of time navigating and making sure I was on track. It was even hot in the water as I began getting very thirsty after loop 1. I focused on swimming long and comfortable and I felt I posted a good 1st loop split just to get smack in the face when I saw my watch showing 16 min. I didn’t worry much on drafting cuz I figured I should focus on my race. I had more than a few gulps of sea water and that was making me sick but I focused and kept going. Eventually I came around the 2nd loop and I was out of the water…
What would you do differently?:

I am at lost here – I really can’t figure out what I am doing wrong. I did notice that at some points I was swimming and I was feeling like I was dragging something. IOW I was “swimming” but I wasn’t moving as I do in the pool. I focused on my reach, catch and pull, I focused on my kick and even remember focusing on my breathing and trying my best to be relax and efficient. I obviously wasn’t…
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

run from beach to Transition a bit far away. I did a good job getting out and getting ready for the ride
Bike
  • 2h 27m 58s
  • 55.5 miles
  • 22.51 mile/hr
Comments:

I began the bike feeling good and ready to push the pace a bit more than I am use to. The plan was top stay at 210-220 watts and shoot for a 2:20 to 2:25 hrs split. Even with my awful swim split I didn’t came out of the water THAT far from the leaders which made me feel good. I saw them and they were probably 10 min ahead, which after a quick calculation I figured Simon Lessing (IMO he was going to be the winner for sure) would add another 15 min advantage between the bike or run. If I could hold on to that I would be able to finish within 20-25 min of the winner time and place around top 20. Well we headed into the 14 mile 3 loop sections and I was still felling good, at that point my avg speed was around 23.5 mph and I was able to see the leaders every lap. NO ONE was passing, which was nice, but then I noticed some riders behind me and realized that around 10 were drafting me, WTF!!! We turned to complete the 1st loop and we hit a head wind bringing the speed from 24-25 mph to 19-20mph. At that point I began to get very frustrated cuz I was the one working for these cheaters so I pushed hard to lose them. I *think* this ws the trigger and began bugging my mind and distracted me from my usual "machine like" way of keeping and eye on nutrition. Originally my plan was to drink 24+ oz of perpetuem plus a gel each hour and ½ salt and potassium tablets. I sort of followed the plan but with the constant fight with the drafting cheaters and the CRAZY heat and humidity I wasnt drinking enough and even missed a BIG signal that my body was sending me. My legs began feeling sort of weak (now I know it was more of a depleted feeling) and my HR was through the roof (avg for the entire ride was 171, when my LTHR is 178!!!) But I was focusing so much on keeping my power (watts) at 200-210 avg that I ignored that vital sign. My frustration continued to grow and I began exchanging words with a few of the cheaters. One guy got the message and he pass me, I dropped back, stayed in my rhythm, then gained momentum and re passed him again and he dropped back. We were moving at a great pace AND legally. We continue to circle on the 14 mile loop and each turn the drafting packs keep growing until it was totally out of control. There were a lot of marshals but I am not sure if the problem was so big they couldn’t handle it or just began to ignore it. During my last loop I began to get very uncomfortable on the bike (a big bonking sign that I missed yet AGAIN) and my balls of both feet were getting warm and even hurting with each pedal stroke. I continue to drink and eat based on my plan but the nutrition deficit was growing as it wanst enough. NOW it is clear to me I didn’t adapt to the conditions and failed big time to adjust my fluid intake. I was standing up and getting of the aero position constantly and cursing at the drafing guys which I named "the leeches" as they kept cheating ridiculously. At that point I had enough and since the name calling and bad words didn’t work I began spitting BIG slurps of saliva over my shoulder so I could hit the guy behind me on the face! ;) after several spits I guess it work because I ended up dropping them and riding sort of alone back to the T2. The last 10 miles were though! At that point I began having negative thoughts about: “what if” I dropped out the race. I was out of fluids so I just kept my face down and spinning as much as possible On my power file you can notice an important drop in power during this last portion and my avg went to 170-180 watts. I was now on surviving mode and the worst was yet to come: Both legs began cramping while riding and my quads were super tight and hurting, but I managed to spin easy and get to T2 but still I failed to get into damage control mode (I can’t believe I missed it and made such a big mistake earlier)

I falied miseraby to adjust my nutrutional plan and I spent too much time wasting my energy worrying too much about those cheaters. I am not sure why but my rpms avg was way lower of my regular 95 plus. (maybe due to the bonking??
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

as soon as I tried to put my running shoes on my right qud cramped BAD. i had ro stop for like a 1 min at least. eventually with my sisters encouragment :) I was able to head out jogging

not much
Run
  • 1h 46m 8s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

ok this was the TOUGHEST part of a race I’ve ever done! Exiting T2 I began to jog and build up speed to get into HIM pace (my goals was 6:20 per mile) but fairly quickly realized that was not going to be possible. I was badly dehydrated and there was no way in hell I could run my normal pace. At kilometer 1 (yeah that’s right KM1) both quads sized again and the spasms on both quads were painful. I HAD to stop cuz I could even walk one more step. Luckily that was an aid station and EMS guys were there. They rush to help me and asked me if I could continue. My voice replied yes but my mind and body was screaming “NOOOO”. I couldn’t seat, I couldn’t stretch, I just couldn’t move! They gave me water to cool down, LOTS of Gatorade and bananas. I HATE bananas but I ate 2 like and chug them down with more Gatorade. I grab salt tablets and ate them. I saw my watch (I hit the lap bottom when I stopped) and saw I already lost 5 min, fuck!) I wanted to cry, literally and the nice EMS guys were so supportive but I that point I felt hopeless and I figured I was done. I was feeling so disappointed because it was the 1st time ever my WHOLE family was there to cheer for me, and I was getting all nervous about how I was going to explain them that my hopes went from a top 20 finish to a DNF. I turned around slowly to head back to T2 and I saw leeches boys joggin passed me. And saw the guy I spitted on the bike passed me with a smile on his face… OH NO, you mother fucker, you are not going to get away with it. I took a deep breath and convince my already defeated mind to hang and let me chase those fuckers at least for another Kilometer. I press the lap bottom again (I lost almost 9 min already standing there) and began walking) A few min later I was jogging and eventually I was running although I had to keep my pace at 8:00 or more because as soon as I increase the pace both quads began screaming. I made it to aid station 2 (KM2) and ate yet another banana and Gatorade while walking. I took another breath and kept going. I made it to KM3, 4, 5 and every time it was a BIG debate between my mind and body versus my will. While mind & body kept telling me that the more I run the more it was going to hurt and more distance I was going to have to walk back to T2 defeated for a DNF, my will kept ignoring them and asking me to keep going and at least complete 1 loop.At the turn around (mile 3.5ish) I began to feel a bit better although my pace was still very slow. My quads didn’t feel like cramping anymore but I was feeling miserable still. I good sign was that I began joking with racers and volunteers asking for piggy rides and even phone numbers of cutes girls ;) I made it through the 1 loop and just before I got to the turn around I made my mind to stop and quit as soon as had my parents/family on sight. I began seeking for my folks and I couldn’t see them, and that pissed me off. I was at my lowest point and they weren’t even at the right place to support me :) But you know what, thank god they screw up cuz I keto going (they thought the turn around was near the finish line so they camped there) After starting the 2nd loop I saw the girl who eventually finished 2nd overall and tag along with her. I couldnt keep the pace for long but that made me realize I was coming back to my normal self slowly. I kept eating/drinking and pouring water through all my body at EVERY aid station and saw how my pace began to improve from mile to mile. 1st 7:50, then 7:20 and eventually 7:00 :)!!! I began to pass a lot of people and then at the last turn around saw that the leeches group weren’t THAT far ahead. I put my face down and focused on passing those losers! At mile 10 my pace was now at 6:45 and I passed one of the leeches and kept going, I got to T2 and they told me 1KM to the finish line: "SHIT, I HAVE to catch leech leader!" I kept running and picking up the pace more and more I saw 3 guys ahead of me and one was leech boy, I sprinted my heart out and literally caught him with AND passed him 200 mts to go. My family was all there screaming and cheering… Oh my, oh my, I finished!

the lack of nutriton during the bike
Post race
Warm down:

just cool down with water >>> final mistake cuz it took me over 5 days to recover!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my inability to recognize the dehydration signs and adjust my nutrtional plan.
==========
my horrible swim (what gives!) any advice: Kurt, Mike R
==========
on the positive side I stuck to it and beat the negative thoughts in my mind

Event comments:

if they fix the drafting problem this will be a GREAT race and a CHALLENGING course to conquer :)

Last updated: 2006-09-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/126
Overall: 0/773
Performance: Below average
188 HR avg - wtf???
Suit:
Course: 2 loop rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:27:58 | 55.5 miles | 22.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/126
Performance: Below average
Entire workout (193 watts): Work: 1720 kJ TSS: 139.4 (intensity factor 0.751) Norm Power: 199 VI: 1.03 Min Max Avg Power: 0 446 193 watts Heart rate: 155 185 171 bpm Cadence: 33 116 88 rpm Speed: 4.3 27.8 22.1 mph Pace 2:10 13:60 2:43 min/mi Hub Torque: 0 181 58 lb-in Crank Torque: 0 478 191 lb-in
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:46:08 | 13.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/126
Performance: Average
165 AHR
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-23 1:06 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: Cancun Ironman 70.3

2006-09-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #549792

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Cancun Ironman 70.3
Wow.  Great race!!!  You are beating yourself up to much about your performance.  47 out of 773 is freaking amazing for us mere mortals. 
2006-09-23 2:23 PM

Champion
South Jersey

Despite what you may think, you had an awesome race! That is so great how you pushed through those moments in which you really really wanted to quit, and I am sure that's going to provide inspiration to a lot of BTers.

That really sucks about those guys on the bike, but I am so glad you passed them on the run and beat the "leech leader!!"

You're going to do great at Clearwater!

2006-09-23 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great fight to finish and your time is still awesome. Did you get any phone #'s?
2006-09-23 3:59 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
I aspire to achieve those type of results.  Way to stick with it when things didn't go as planned/hoped for/expected.  And way to catch King Leech Boy.
2006-09-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #549839

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Don't let everyone blow so much smoke up your skirt ..... you had a crappy Daremo-esque race. It is only because of your fantastic conditioning that you were still able to post a solid time (and a killer bike split). ;-)

Regardless of how you felt at the end of the bike and on the run, you have some huge lessons learned to take away from the race! Clearwater is not necessarily going to be Cancun level of temps, but it will still probably be warm and sunny. So you take the knowledge of the event away with you and learn from the mistakes.

As you and I both know now ...... long course work is all about nutrition and keeping it up.

Way to battle through and beat the co-ksucker who was drafting you so much.

2006-09-23 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

This is why I LOVE the sport of Triathlon!

Good Job

2006-09-23 10:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

I'm sure your family was happy that you finished!!

This race sounds like it was a great learning experience for you.  Good for you for finishing and still being in 47th place!

2006-09-23 10:50 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Drafting is cheating, plain and simple.

The word on the street is that the WTC does not like to issue drafting or other position penalties b/c they are afraid of angering their customers ... and angry customers are not repeat customers.  What about the anger of the person who is being cheated by racing fairly?

Way to catch up to lead leech boy and show him cheaters never win.

Edited by brian 2006-09-23 10:51 PM
2006-09-24 7:17 AM

maine
Jorge, you should be proud to finish and finish with your head high. Those draft A-holes (Mike C told me it was bad too) only raced 2/3's of a race and shame on them.

On the swim: couple things, lack of non-wetsuit ows probably hurt a bit, and the dealing with the swells (no swells at Walden!) made your technigue a bit off. Mike had a poor swim too. It seems only the true "fish" were able to swim well.

In a race like this, "chasing" watts is dangerous, you probably lost your mental edge dealing with the drafters and over-rode the bike (relative to the conditions...not your ability). Remember even a few % dehydration can effect performance to a great extent. You did not happen to weigh yourself post race did you?

Again, way to tough it out.

Clear it from your mind and lets hope Clearwater is not too warm!

kurt
pbmcoaching.com
2006-09-24 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Great report! A good lesson on how to stick out the tough (very tough in your case!) parts of the race. And you beat the leeches - I was hoping the story would end well

5th in the AG and Top 50 overall - nothing to be too disappointed about when you think of what you toughed out!

I was I could swim as "mediocre" as you!

2006-09-24 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma

Fantastic race!! Congratulations.

Lessons learned. Its so hard to keep a positive focus when cheaters are changing the rules, but you raced your race including overcoming them!!

Your an inspiration and a superstar!

2006-09-24 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
You may be disappointed in your performance..but each time you race you improve in every aspect- Racing is so much about planning and mental toughness...the training and ability can be equal- the determination & the focus win the race. You raced clean , you raced hard,(5/126!) you recognized what you needed to do to correct & stay in the game. You can't control the others -only yourself. Having your family there was an awesome thing- and not to be underestimated in your success. And it WAS a success.Remember-this was your "test" case for your A Race- which is little more than a month away- time to regroup - and focus on meeting your goals in Florida. You ARE a pro Jorge- Congratulations.
2006-09-24 5:42 PM

User image

Pro
MA

YOU are my hero, Jorge!!  Maybe next time you should fly out a few more days ahead of to adapt to the environment.  I, too, have to take into the consideration of long distant travel if I am ever going to run the HK 1/2 mary.  I'm amazed at both you physical and mental toughness. 

You did great, and most importantly, you learn EVEN MORE about your body.  I'm sure you'll kick more azzes at Clearwater!

2006-09-24 6:48 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Do you have ANY idea how long it took me to get the nasty perpetuum mix off my bike?!   

Great race, Jorge...anyone can race well (to an extent) when firing on all cylinders.  The winners post solid results in the face of dehydration, cheaters, and circumstance.  Nice effort, good result.

2006-09-24 10:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Very impressive Jorge!

Racing is so complicated...training gets you to the line, then your body is ready to go and your mind can hinder or help you. I appreciate you sharing your difficulties and how you overcame them. Seriously you recovered from being seriously dehydrated to running amazingly fast to pass those cheaters at the end....kudos! You lost 9 minutes at Kilometer 1 and still came in 5th in your AG.

Your times are awesome, but it seems you learned a lot mentally that will be helping you in the future.

Thanks for posting your RR! You are an great triathlete!

2006-09-25 7:54 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great Job Jorge..esp at catching the leeches!!!  That would have pissed off anyone.  At least you have the ability to catch them on the run.  Sounds like really tough conditions.  With as hot as it was I bet you had a lot of cardiac drift......kinda got to take the HR data with a grain of salt in the heat.    Take care and glad you are back home safe with passport intact
2006-09-25 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Portland

Another great race report Jorge with valuable lessons and information.  Really impressive how you were able to pull it together after what you body went through to finish as well as you did! You STUD!!

Best of luck in Clearwater!!

Edited by MikeJ 2006-09-25 10:26 AM
2006-09-27 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
wow!! great perserverance jorge!! ah..the lessons we learn in these travels of life. They will help you immensly in the future!
2006-09-27 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Wow Jorge. You put up a great time in the face of the Leaches,and the demons. Glad you kept going
2006-09-27 4:37 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Wow Jorge! What a demanding race. But at least now you know what the warning signs from your body are. I loved the end where you killed the leeches! That was classic!

And nutella on toast totally doesn't substitue for glazed donuts!

2006-09-27 6:02 PM

Arizona
way to go man, way to stick it out, i want to do that race next year so i hope not to have all the people drafting of me.
2006-09-27 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Awesome job despite the leeches! I am looking at this race for 2007 and your report is a great inspiration to do it! Way to pull through!

Thanks!
2006-09-28 2:40 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Lessons learned.  Remember you've still only been at this sport for a short time.  You have plenty of more mistakes to make.

Seriously, though, nice job finishing out a tough race.  Remember to keep up the fluids in FL!

2006-09-28 7:44 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Nice job Jorge! I have this race on my schedule for next season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cancun Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed  

of 1