General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Hartford, Connecticut
United States
Hartford Marathon Foundation
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 39m 7s
Overall Rank = 42/175
Age Group = M 60-64
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

usual stuff; BoostHN, pop tart, RK treat, sipped G2 w Nuun (*that's new)

up at 5 to leave at 5:30

coffee/shower/BR/dress race ready

drive to venue and set up transition/pump tires etc
Event warmup:

Was able to do an 8 min swim warmup-longest in a long time; felt comfortable, no nerves about anticipated contact and felt less squished in the wetsuit w new sleeveless Roka L/T (sized for 202 pounds/6'4'' for middle of this size's chart)-I am 5'8''/156 pounds...I don't like feeling constricted at all and bigger is better, much better-plus more buoyancy!
Swim
  • 38m 7s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

just tried to start out very slowly and counted down from 60 strokes; the length it took to reach the first buoy; got kicked/pushed-as usual but I didn't let it bother me this time; stayed pretty much in the middle of the swimmers this time-no panic attack (*I've come a very long way)-sighted every 5-6 strokes and was pretty straight

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7101711715/1
What would you do differently?:

nothing really
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

super long run from the water to T1-it was 0.37 miles and took 3:52 by my Garmin; I got my wetsuit off immediately and then ran hard, passing a ton of people, got to the top and felt really dizzy and a bit nauseous *(a first), started to walk as I thought I might fall/pass out, slowed my breathing down and felt good enough to jog after about a minute so I picked it up on the second part of the flat into the transition zone; dumped my stuff, sat and tried to put on my socks/bike shoes/helmet fast and GO

may have gone a bit too hard on the sprint up the hill; better to ease into it next time; my heart rate for this part went from 60;s upon exiting the swim to a peak of 153 (95% of my max measured HR), walked and got it down to the 130's and then jogged the last minute to get to the bike
Bike
  • 1h 11m 11s
  • 23.8 miles
  • 20.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I was annoyed by the lack of power; had the split screen with AP/NP and took off the 920 and mounted it on the bike to look at; changed to total distance screen once I realized I had no power data; went by feel and tried to get up to speed after short hills and pushed steady power on any slight incline/decline; stood up for the hills and pretended I was a real cyclist

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7101711715/3

not a thing; my super secret goal was to hold 20 mph and was shocked I got under 1:12! woohoo!! Big bonus was not crashing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

ran through deep water and was annoyed about it and debated with myself about changing socks; ran slower because apparently I can't think and run at the same time; got to the rack and couldn't remember which slot and then a wetsuit was blocking the rear wheel from setting in it correctly so I had to move that and then sit and then I couldn't get my shoes off...ug...what a disaster

do your job and execute in transition
Run
  • 47m 8s
  • 5.6 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was dying on the run; haven't trained for downhills, hell-I haven't ran 60 miles in the last 6 weeks; struggled with the bib so that added a few seconds and I had to walk to get the second part of it on the quick lace; wore the Nike Next shoes which are bouncy as heck and this destroyed my quads as I tried to take advantage on the downhills; wet socks did not help and I got blisters; could have pushed on the last few miles but my legs were pretty shot

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7101711715/5

do more run training, of course
Post race
Warm down:

wanted to die, as always...took a long time to breathe normally; I did later ice my legs but it would have been smarter to do it sooner

What limited your ability to perform faster:

under-trained on the run; weather was perfect and could have hurt me more if it was hot; I'm quite pleased with the first half of this race-S/T1/B all went quite well.

Event comments:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/7101711715

Very, very well run event. Mark Wilson and his wife Tonia have done such a great job with this race that I'd say it's one of the best, more organized, well run, well supported, challenging races that I've ever done. Post race was even better. Love my wife for always giving me ultimate support. She is a fantastic photographer also. My many friends on BT/strava/slowtwitch give me amazing encouragement as well and I am thankful for that. Bobby was there in spirit with me, as usual.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2021-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:07 | 1500 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/175
Performance: Average
my time was 36:10 1:54/100yds ave with a much longer transition; seems they didn't want to have a mat at the water's edge 1/3 mile away
Suit: sleeveless Roka Maveerick Pro
Course: 2 laps of an inverted triangle which was more like a bulb; 5 buoys in total going counter clockwise run out of the water around the 2 lifeguard chairs and back into the water for the second loop
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:11 | 23.8 miles | 20.06 mile/hr
Performance: Good
no power data; garmin wouldn't sync-I was hugely disappointed as I wanted to look at AP/NP, although in retrospect with the number of hills, there would not be close correlation and I really only needed NP for this course; I went with what felt like 'one hour pace' on the flats and tried to push on every hill and I had them all memorized as to when the happened, which was a big help; did go with 80/83 psi for front/back w 23/25's for my tires as the roads had some wet spots when we were driving in but by the time I was on them-there was none, so that was a mistake but I could not know and didn't want to crash
Wind:
Course: big loop around the hills of Litchfield;
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:47:08 | 05.6 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
pace ranged from 7:38 to 9:10 per mile-- HR stayed in the 140's for the entire run section
Course: slight uphill for the first half mile, then drop 200 ft over the next 3/4 mile and you destroy the quads; rolling hills followed by a long incline of 1.25 miles gaining 150ft, then 3 more rolling 50 foot hills to get to the finish
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2021-07-11 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Subject: Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon
2021-07-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: #5277040

User image

Subject: RE: Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon

Great RR and OA Race!  Let's to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly in Reverse.  

The Ugly: No data on the bike, almost passing out in T1, wet socks in T2.  And I watched the video of your T2 -- THAT was ugly!  LOL!

The Bad:  Pop tarts for pre-race breakfast.  You're a grown man and a Doctor of heart medicine for crikes sake!  (I kid.  I kid.  I love pop tarts.  Cherry Frosted toasted for just :20 seconds, is my favorite.  Heat up the gooey cherry filling, but keep the outside un-toasted but warm and firm.  perfection).  

The (very) Good:  Dude, 20mph on a course with that elevation is amazing!!  Age Group Podium, also freaking amazing!  (Although you're on the AG Podium 2/3rds of the time at local events)  We both got AG Podiums same weekend. We are truly Tri Brothers   Racing is so much fun, isn't it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Litchfield Hills Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by DenaRae
Views: 627 Posts: 1

2021-06-08 5:39 PM DenaRae

Tiszafüred Triathlon

Started by goran007
Views: 762 Posts: 1

2020-09-16 1:11 AM goran007

Sunrise Side Triathlons - Sprint

Started by scottjjmtri99
Views: 975 Posts: -2