General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Giving up on giving up Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-07-11 6:21 PM

Watertown, New York
Subject: Giving up on giving up
Hi all. My name is Scott, and I’ve been inspired by my wife, a Half IM competitor, to try something hard. At 43, I think this will be the first time in my life I will truly challenge myself. I saw myself (and she did to) thinking that 40 was the end of the line, and by 43, I thought life was over. But after going to one of her races, I see that not everyone thinks like that. I want to be like that.

So, my background. I was in the Army, but never in great shape. Just good enough to keep passing the fitness tests. Barely. Since then, I’ve put on some weight, but can still run a 10 minute pace for 3 miles (completely out of breath) and 12 minute pace for 5 miles. I have never learned to properly swim, and can only breaststroke. I can’t sit on my bike for more than 10-15 miles, and my wife says I need a new saddle other than the one that came on it? Unfortunately where we retired, there is NO triathlon…or really fitness…culture. It’ll probably be just the two of us. And since I hold her back - mostly just me by myself training.

So - any pointers for a new year?

2021-07-11 6:23 PM
in reply to: #5277043

Watertown, New York
Subject: RE: Giving up on giving up
…newby
2021-07-11 6:25 PM
in reply to: #5277044

Watertown, New York
Oh…I’ve signed up for a sprint on Labor Day weekend. ??
2021-07-13 11:39 PM
in reply to: 0

Hey man, good for you. I started going to the gym at 59 years old, did first tri at 60 and a 70.3 at 61. You can do it. Just be serious about hitting the gym, bike and pool.

After a period sickness and after Covid canceling public events including triathlon, I am starting over. I have done it before, so I know it can be done. I am starting training from a very low point of fitness but it is a challenge that I want to meet...and that you should meet.

I'm going to make it all the way back to a 70.3 next June at age 67.

Let's do this.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2021-07-13 11:41 PM
2021-07-31 5:02 AM
in reply to: Motormouth

User image

Excellent
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Giving up on giving up Rss Feed