24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 14s
Overall Rank = 7/25
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Event warmup:

Went for a quick bike to check that all my gears are working as expected (less than 5 minutes).

Checked into transition after the bike then went for quick 5 minute run.

Did not get to do a swim warm up because I chose to go to the washroom instead (which was the right choice ultimately).
Swim
  • 13m 53s
  • 742 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt really strong during this swim. I don't even know how to really describe it, but I just felt on. I felt like I was gliding through the water and to my surprise I kept catching people from the waves that went ahead of me. I also was able to do the swim almost exclusively as free. I did take a couple of breast stroke strokes on two occasions just because I was having issues sighting the buoy due to the sun and I wanted to make sure I had the right line. I didn't feel panicky like I have in the past and everything just felt good.
What would you do differently?:

It would be good to work more on sighting so I don't need to take those breast strokes to feel comfortable with where I am.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

My transition here wasn't smooth at all. I struggled with getting the wetsuit off (as I commented above it got stuck on my heels), I also feel like I took too long to get my socks and shoes on. One little annoying thing is I got stuck behind someone who wasn't running with her bike out and just taking her time, which slowed my transition by a second or two.

Work on the basics of transitioning with taking off the wetsuit and getting my shoes on. I also wasted a couple of seconds in transition grabbing water. I am comfortable enough now on the bike that I can just drink on the ride. In my earlier triathlon life, I wasn't as comfortable with that and tried to avoid drinking on the bike if I could but that is no longer the case.
Bike
  • 37m 5s
  • 19.33 kms
  • 31.28 km/hr
Comments:

I don't think I executed this bike as well as I am capable of. It wasn't necessarily a bad bike in terms of time or pace, but I know I am capable of more. I didn't do as good a job on the hills as I would have liked, and I felt like I had issues finding the race pace I wanted to hit and settling in. There was more of a head wind on the back half of the ride, so it is a little slower but I was starting to feel more comfortable at that point in that race with where my effort level was at. Overall, I know I am capable of more.

Settle into a comfortable pace sooner, don't feel like you have to hold back on the start and get going feeling motivated right away.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

This transition was okay. It has been a while since I have done true transitions so of course everything was rusty so I don't feel great about it but it is what it is. I do think this transition was a little smoother than my swim to bike transition though.
Run
  • 25m 6s
  • 4.72 kms
  • 05m 19s  min/km
Comments:

I decided to make a goal for this run of "you cannot walk during this run". My self talk was to just focus on the cadence and keep moving my feet. At the time I made this goal I did not realize how "hilly" this course was (I feel kind of dumb calling it hilly because there were only a couple of steep hills, but there was a pretty long steady incline, even though it wasn't necessarily steep). At times I was really struggling on the hills/inclines, to the point where I was running below 6 minutes per kilometer, but I was still running. The long incline was during kilometer 3, which is where my pace was the slowest. But I kept telling myself that once I get to the turnaround it is downhill and I can get back to a pace I would like to be, which I did acheive. In an ideal world, I would love to run the whole 5K between 5:00 and 5:15/km, but sometimes the course is a slower course. This is a course that played to my weaknesses (hills/increases) so I did struggle but I didn't give up so I am happy about that.

Despite being a little slower overall than I would have liked for the run, I honestly don't know if there is anything I would do differently because I met all of my goals. I want to just do more of the same. I do need to practice my hills more, which I have started working on already, so hopefully I will get more comfortable on the hills and speed will come with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't do a proper warm down :(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first real triathlon since 2019 so my transitions were a little rusty, which probably had some impact on my speed there. My lack of practice with handling hills. I also spend a lot of my time running on paved sidewalks/roads/paths and I don't love running on grass and gravel but it might be worth to practice that a little more. Luckily, the campground gravel path was pretty packed and didn't bother me too much. I also just wasn't happy with my bike in general, and feel like I am stronger than my performance was. I am not sure what exactly limited my performance with that. Maybe nerves of the first race back and holding back because I was worried about the bike to run transition. I didn't need to hold back as much as I did.

Last updated: 2021-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:53 | 742 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/25
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: One lap
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:05 | 19.33 kms | 31.28 km/hr
Performance: Below average
1-5 - 9:20/32.1KPH 6-10 - 9:22/32KPH 11-15 - 9:43/30.9KPH 16-19.33 - 8:27/30.7KPH
Wind: Some
Course: Hilly, around Echo Lake. It was definitely a windy day (there isn't a wind option that meets how I would describe it because the next option after some is strong, and it was definitely not a "strong" wind for Saskatchewan. My garmin says the wind was 22KPH at the start of the race, but that could have changed during the race. Because the race was around Echo Lake there was opportunity to race in head, tail, and crosswinds.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:06 | 04.72 kms | 05m 19s  min/km
Performance: Good
1 - 5:10.5 2 - 5:26 3 - 5:49 4 - 5:05 0.72 - 3:38 (5:03 pace)
Course: Hilly/steady incline for quite a while. Had a good decline towards the end (kilometer 3). Lots of the run was not paved/on grass and gravel
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?