Canada
Regina Multisport Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 27s
Overall Rank = 3/35
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

We were camping for this race so the routine was slightly different than it would have been at home.

Ate a bagel for breakfast. Drove over to the course. Set up transition area. Signed in to get timing chip and race number drawn on. Athlete's meeting. Pre-race bathroom break.
Event warmup:

I was really worked up about getting in the bit of swim prior to the race to get used to the water so I completely forgot about doing a bit of a bike until the race meeting was already under way (and the transition area closed too quickly to the end of the meeting to get in a bike) and I didn't go for a run either because my runners were in the transition area and I didn't want to hurt myself by going in my flip flops. I did get to go in for a bit of a swim. I did a little bit of free style and breast stroke to get used to the water and spent probably 10 minutes total in the water prior to the race. For this race, I don't think missing the warm up affected me at all as by the time my heat started I wouldn't have been warm anymore due to watching my teammates heats before me.
Swim
  • 07m 54s
  • 375 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wasn't able to take advantage of drafting much as I was not close enough to anyone for the majority of the race. Shortly after going around the first buoy I did switch to breast stroke and other than short bursts of freestyle, the majority of the race after that was done using breaststroke. I felt stressed with my head under the water with the cold water almost giving me a headache type of feeling and I was having a hard time breathing so breast stroke gave me the ability to breathe easier. I passed two people while doing breast stoke and was making up ground on the three people ahead of me (though I imagine if I stuck with freestyle after my short break I may have been able to catch them based on the ground made during my short bursts).
What would you do differently?:

Attempted to stick with free style a little bit more diligently.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

No wetsuit helped for a faster transition. I felt like everything went smoothly and that my transition space was set up well to get everything on in the order I needed it to.

There wasn't anything I would have done differently
Bike
  • 43m 18s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.71 km/hr
Comments:

Still feeling a little frustration on the bike like the power I am putting in isn't exactly transferring. Sometimes I can feel when my pedal and power are more connected but that is very far between. I am not sure if that has to do with the amount of surface area is on my shoe as right now the shoes I have are the smaller ones. I am hoping I can find that sweet power spot. I was definitely feeling my legs, but overall I wasn't feeling especially tired. That being said, I was breathing hard and I couldn't figure out why I was doing that. When I finished the race I felt like I would have been able to keep going.

Given the conditions and where I am on the bike I don't think there is much I could have done differently. I just need to spend more time on the bike in general to figure out how to bike more efficiently because I know I have the ability to be a lot faster than I am on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I am not at a point where I feel comfortable riding with feet on top of shoes or jumping off a moving bike so I didn't do those things. There were no other bikes around me so racking the bike was pretty easy. The one hiccup I encountered was I got my racing belt stuck in my hair when I was putting on my hat and that set me a bit behind.

I would put my racing belt on first before putting on my hat!
Run
  • 17m 37s
  • 3 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

I felt strong during the run. This was the only event I remembered to set my watch for so I knew I was keeping a good pace that I would be able to maintain over the run. I was happy as well because I managed to run the full 3km and didn't need to take a walking break at all. Overall, this was the part of the race I was most satisfied with despite having the lowest overall ranking as I know I am not where I need to be at this point to go faster yet.

The run went really well! There isn't anything I would have changed here.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do a great job with a "warm down". We were waiting at the finish line for our other teammate to finish and once she finished the transition area was open so my "warm-down" was walking from the transition area to the car with my bike and other race gear, and then back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At this point I would say lack of experience. Not being used to the open water was a hinderance in the swim because I didn't feel comfortable enough to do more free style. For the bike I am still trying to figure it out so I know I am not performing to my full potential in that area either yet. But it will come with more practice!

Last updated: 2017-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:54 | 375 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 4/35
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Running start from starting buoy around 3 buoy and back to the starting buoy
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes