Daybreak Community
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Knew about this race for a few weeks but just woke up this morning and decided to do it. I needed an LT test and it's much easier to push hard running with others. Woke up, had the standard protein drink and headed out.
Event warmup:

Thought the race started at 8am so I was there an 1 1/2 early. Registered and stretched. Jogged a 12 minute WU or so with some strides thrown in. Talked with a guy I'd met at Ice Breaker early in the year while we waited at the start. Bounced around a little to keep from cooling down too much.
Run
  • 22m 7s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Course was 2/10's mile short. Unfortunately not a true 5k.

First mile was the fastest and then it was trying to hold my HR as high as possible. It was a hard run but I still had some kick left in me at the end. At 2 1/2 miles I thought of Brett and his sometimes motto "if you don't puke at the end you didn't go fast enough". That kept me moving (but thankfully I didn't have to puke).

My overall place was probably about 15th or so. Be interesting to know for sure. One guy was riding my tail at the end and tried to make a move but I had just enough in the tank to pick up the pace before the last 200 yd. kick. He dropped quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start a little slower but overall it worked out well. The second mile was slower but it was also somewhat uphill.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to my car and drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed the best possible based on my current fitness level.

Event comments:

For $10 and a t-shirt I can't complain. Probably 150 people or so. But unfortunately there was no official timing system. Just someone reading off times as you crossed the finish and the course was short. GPS only shown the it as 2.9 miles but there was some sharp winding turns which can mess with the actual distance. Still for $10, a t-shirt, some decent coupons and a good LT test, it wasn't too terrible.

Last updated: 2006-09-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:07 | 02.9 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR average was 174 for the race. Will keep 173 as my LT.
Course: Start at the Daybreak rec center and circling around the Daybreak community.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes