Other Resources The Political Joe » COVID hits home! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-07-28 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: COVID hits home!
Of folks, push just came to shove!

For over a year now I have downplayed the ‘pandemic’ so much so that I still write ‘pandemic’ with air quotes. My son has been in Cabo/Mexico City/Cancun for the last month or so. He was fully vaccinated in Philly before he left and moved back home to change careers or find a patent attorney job in the SE US. So anyway, he was scheduled to fly in tonight. But his flight went thru Mexico City and there they require a negative covid test to fly back to US. He tested positive!

So now what? First off, my initial reaction, “so much for the much for the f’ing vaccine! Fat lot of good that did him! “Oh but the vaccine is said to “reduce the severity”. Ha! He is 28 yo and didn’t know he had it! Hard to reduce severity more than “I feel great”.

But enough on the vaccine. Other than to say I am not indoctrinated…uh…I mean inoculated. My wife and daughter are vaxed.

The dilemma. Assuming somehow Nick can get back to the us having tested positive, do we welcome him back to his old room knowing he tested positive. I say yes. My wife said he have to quarantine in his room. I said BS. Well, not to my wife…but I thought that! :-). In theory, since my wife and daughter are vaccinated they are not at risk. Then again, Nick was vaccinated too and tested positive. So the only one at risk is me. I’m overweight, smoke, have high BP and drink 1/5 of whisky a day! Yeah, I know, long way from my Ironman days! Am I concerned? Not in the least! I simply refuse to live in fear. Sooner or later everyone will get some variety! 98% of the world is not vaccinated. I read 60% of Indians (dots not feathers) have covid antibodies.

Deep down, I kinda hope I get covid and recover. I prefer that to the vaccine. But apparently, according to the gubment, neither one means chit. You still need to wear a mask and live in fear.

Not sure if Nick will be forced to stay in Mexico or if he will develop symptoms or it is a false positive. If he shows symptoms, and wanted to come home, I’d charted a private plane to fly him home. More than likely, he will test again and test negative and fly home on the next flight commercial or he will spend some more time in Mexico. I told him he could walk across the border as they are not testing the “migrants” aka illegal aliens, but hr was not amused. Sorry Nick. Can’t be easy having me as a father.

This was an initial jolt to me but after the initial shock I realize the critical thinking I’ve employed all along still applies. I do not fear for myself and I do not fear for my young, strong health son. Yes, there is a 0.2% chance one of us could die but when I had my last colonoscopy the anesthesiologist said there is a chance I could die! Very, very (I think he used 4 verys) I could die from the anesthesia. I rolled the dice! They said the same thing both times I had anesthesia to have my triathlon knees scoped. I survived.
So anyway,Covid finally hit Casa de Rogillio! Maybe you will finally get to tell me “we told you so”…..but I doubt it. :-).

2021-07-28 2:22 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: COVID hits home!

Originally posted by Rogillio Of folks, push just came to shove! For over a year now I have downplayed the ‘pandemic’ so much so that I still write ‘pandemic’ with air quotes. My son has been in Cabo/Mexico City/Cancun for the last month or so. He was fully vaccinated in Philly before he left and moved back home to change careers or find a patent attorney job in the SE US. So anyway, he was scheduled to fly in tonight. But his flight went thru Mexico City and there they require a negative covid test to fly back to US. He tested positive! So now what? First off, my initial reaction, “so much for the much for the f’ing vaccine! Fat lot of good that did him! “Oh but the vaccine is said to “reduce the severity”. Ha! He is 28 yo and didn’t know he had it! Hard to reduce severity more than “I feel great”. But enough on the vaccine. Other than to say I am not indoctrinated…uh…I mean inoculated. My wife and daughter are vaxed. The dilemma. Assuming somehow Nick can get back to the us having tested positive, do we welcome him back to his old room knowing he tested positive. I say yes. My wife said he have to quarantine in his room. I said BS. Well, not to my wife…but I thought that! :-). In theory, since my wife and daughter are vaccinated they are not at risk. Then again, Nick was vaccinated too and tested positive. So the only one at risk is me. I’m overweight, smoke, have high BP and drink 1/5 of whisky a day! Yeah, I know, long way from my Ironman days! Am I concerned? Not in the least! I simply refuse to live in fear. Sooner or later everyone will get some variety! 98% of the world is not vaccinated. I read 60% of Indians (dots not feathers) have covid antibodies. Deep down, I kinda hope I get covid and recover. I prefer that to the vaccine. But apparently, according to the gubment, neither one means chit. You still need to wear a mask and live in fear. Not sure if Nick will be forced to stay in Mexico or if he will develop symptoms or it is a false positive. If he shows symptoms, and wanted to come home, I’d charted a private plane to fly him home. More than likely, he will test again and test negative and fly home on the next flight commercial or he will spend some more time in Mexico. I told him he could walk across the border as they are not testing the “migrants” aka illegal aliens, but hr was not amused. Sorry Nick. Can’t be easy having me as a father. This was an initial jolt to me but after the initial shock I realize the critical thinking I’ve employed all along still applies. I do not fear for myself and I do not fear for my young, strong health son. Yes, there is a 0.2% chance one of us could die but when I had my last colonoscopy the anesthesiologist said there is a chance I could die! Very, very (I think he used 4 verys) I could die from the anesthesia. I rolled the dice! They said the same thing both times I had anesthesia to have my triathlon knees scoped. I survived. So anyway,Covid finally hit Casa de Rogillio! Maybe you will finally get to tell me “we told you so”…..but I doubt it. :-).

When it came to my family we didn't quarantine anybody in the house itself.  We eventually all got it, including the 89 yo mother-in-law  It was a big yawn.  I was able to work out on my regular days.  None of us had so much as a fever.  The old gal was a bit wiped out, half of us lost our taste/smell....all recovered within a week.  Not a big deal....really, not any deal except having to stay home.  We all spent alot of time outdoors and that helped our attitudes quite a bit.  No oxygen levels fell below 94. We're glad it's behind us.  We all feel vaccinated.

2021-07-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rogillio Of folks, push just came to shove! For over a year now I have downplayed the ‘pandemic’ so much so that I still write ‘pandemic’ with air quotes. My son has been in Cabo/Mexico City/Cancun for the last month or so. He was fully vaccinated in Philly before he left and moved back home to change careers or find a patent attorney job in the SE US. So anyway, he was scheduled to fly in tonight. But his flight went thru Mexico City and there they require a negative covid test to fly back to US. He tested positive! So now what? First off, my initial reaction, “so much for the much for the f’ing vaccine! Fat lot of good that did him! “Oh but the vaccine is said to “reduce the severity”. Ha! He is 28 yo and didn’t know he had it! Hard to reduce severity more than “I feel great”. But enough on the vaccine. Other than to say I am not indoctrinated…uh…I mean inoculated. My wife and daughter are vaxed. The dilemma. Assuming somehow Nick can get back to the us having tested positive, do we welcome him back to his old room knowing he tested positive. I say yes. My wife said he have to quarantine in his room. I said BS. Well, not to my wife…but I thought that! :-). In theory, since my wife and daughter are vaccinated they are not at risk. Then again, Nick was vaccinated too and tested positive. So the only one at risk is me. I’m overweight, smoke, have high BP and drink 1/5 of whisky a day! Yeah, I know, long way from my Ironman days! Am I concerned? Not in the least! I simply refuse to live in fear. Sooner or later everyone will get some variety! 98% of the world is not vaccinated. I read 60% of Indians (dots not feathers) have covid antibodies. Deep down, I kinda hope I get covid and recover. I prefer that to the vaccine. But apparently, according to the gubment, neither one means chit. You still need to wear a mask and live in fear. Not sure if Nick will be forced to stay in Mexico or if he will develop symptoms or it is a false positive. If he shows symptoms, and wanted to come home, I’d charted a private plane to fly him home. More than likely, he will test again and test negative and fly home on the next flight commercial or he will spend some more time in Mexico. I told him he could walk across the border as they are not testing the “migrants” aka illegal aliens, but hr was not amused. Sorry Nick. Can’t be easy having me as a father. This was an initial jolt to me but after the initial shock I realize the critical thinking I’ve employed all along still applies. I do not fear for myself and I do not fear for my young, strong health son. Yes, there is a 0.2% chance one of us could die but when I had my last colonoscopy the anesthesiologist said there is a chance I could die! Very, very (I think he used 4 verys) I could die from the anesthesia. I rolled the dice! They said the same thing both times I had anesthesia to have my triathlon knees scoped. I survived. So anyway,Covid finally hit Casa de Rogillio! Maybe you will finally get to tell me “we told you so”…..but I doubt it. :-).

Methinks you were hitting that fifth of whiskey pretty hard this afternoon. 

ETA:  hope your son doesn't get sick or anything and the next test allows him to fly home

Edited by jmhpsu93 2021-07-28 2:33 PM
2021-07-28 10:11 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Arizona
"Not in the least! I simply refuse to live in fear."

Yet here you stand, terrified of the vaccine. More so than the virus itself, do you really think that is reasonable?

Sure, you would probably be fine with the virus, and the chance of being fine if you are vaccinated are exponentially greater. Maybe you are one of the unlucky ones who slowly suffocates to death over the course of months, no doubt a horrendous experience for you and your family. Maybe you should ask someone who is on a breathing machine if they could go back in time and get vaccinated, would they? What do you think they would say? I'm sure they felt just as stubborn as you do before they got sick, they probably figured it would be no big deal if they did catch it. Everyone's fine until they aren't, leaving that door open isn't brave, it's just reckless and it affects more than just you. Isn't eradicating this virus a desirable end game?

"Deep down, I kinda hope I get covid and recover. I prefer that to the vaccine."

Jezz... I think this gets to the heart of the forces driving you. Don't let your ego control your health decisions Rog, nobody wins that gamble. We get it, you're the one in control here, no gubbment can tell you what to do, you've invincible because right now you feel just fine.
2021-07-28 11:36 PM
in reply to: Synon

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Synon

"Not in the least! I simply refuse to live in fear."

Yet here you stand, terrified of the vaccine. More so than the virus itself, do you really think that is reasonable?

Sure, you would probably be fine with the virus, and the chance of being fine if you are vaccinated are exponentially greater. Maybe you are one of the unlucky ones who slowly suffocates to death over the course of months, no doubt a horrendous experience for you and your family. Maybe you should ask someone who is on a breathing machine if they could go back in time and get vaccinated, would they? What do you think they would say? I'm sure they felt just as stubborn as you do before they got sick, they probably figured it would be no big deal if they did catch it. Everyone's fine until they aren't, leaving that door open isn't brave, it's just reckless and it affects more than just you. Isn't eradicating this virus a desirable end game?

"Deep down, I kinda hope I get covid and recover. I prefer that to the vaccine."

Jezz... I think this gets to the heart of the forces driving you. Don't let your ego control your health decisions Rog, nobody wins that gamble. We get it, you're the one in control here, no gubbment can tell you what to do, you've invincible because right now you feel just fine.

LOL. I do not fear the vaccine any more than I “fear” the DMV. I simply do not trust the government or anyone else to generate a substance intended to alter my immune system at the molecular level. I also understand statistics and know the odds of getting seriously ill and dying are less than 0.2%. You are peddling fear with your “what if’s”. I could make the fear case that you should never ride your bike on the road with cars. What if you got hit by a car and became a paraplegic. Think of the impact on your family. All because you wanted to ride your bike out there with 3,000 lb automobiles. Maybe you should ask people who have been bit by cars what it was like and what pain and suffering they went through. I get it, you’ve ridden hundreds or thousands of miles on the road and you feel invincible...but be afraid, be very afraid because 0.2% of all bikers will eventually get hit by a car! Oh and BTW, I was t-boned by a car on my bike.

I saw an interview the other day about convincing people to get vaccinated and they said the worst thing you could do to try to convince them was to try to shame them or insult them into getting vaccinated as that just piszes them off and they dig in deeper. It’s true. Biden said yesterday that unvaccinated people are stupid and it just piszed me off. I was thinking about getting shot till he said this but not now. I also decided I’m not going to vote for him in 2024!
2021-07-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Biden said yesterday that unvaccinated people are stupid and it just piszed me off. I was thinking about getting shot till he said this but not now. I also decided I’m not going to vote for him in 2024!

No you weren't, and if you were and something Biden said changed your mind...LOL.  So let's see, in Rog math,

"Own The Libs" > "Participate in Public Health"

Got it.

2021-07-29 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

And if I just miss getting hit by a car, or get grazed and not injured, and then talk to other cyclists about it at the coffee shop afterwards I don't increase their chances of getting hit by a car later.

2021-07-29 10:34 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Biden said yesterday that unvaccinated people are stupid and it just piszed me off. I was thinking about getting shot till he said this but not now. I also decided I’m not going to vote for him in 2024!

No you weren't, and if you were and something Biden said changed your mind...LOL.  So let's see, in Rog math,

"Own The Libs" > "Participate in Public Health"

Got it.

Dang, you fell for it! Wise up brother and realize when your chain is being yanked! I Biden is not fit to Dog Catcher. He is a mentally diminished puppet.
2021-07-29 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

And if I just miss getting hit by a car, or get grazed and not injured, and then talk to other cyclists about it at the coffee shop afterwards I don't increase their chances of getting hit by a car later.

You completely missed the point. You are fear mongering covid. The odds of death by covid are 0.2%. Probably about the same as eventually getting hit by a car on your bike. But yet you still bike on the road and set a bad example for others who see you riding on the road and decide it’s ok. Look, life is full of risks and each of us has to decide which risks we are willing to take. You and you alone are responsible for your health. If you want to go to a doctor for a check up every six months you can. If you prefer to never go for a check up, that too is your choice. There are risks getting the vaccine. Probably pretty low but let’s be honest, the government is not going to release the actual number of deaths or severe effects. Just trust them, it’s very low! Same with the number of people who were vaxed and still got covid. 1 out of 3 in my family that were fully vaxed got covid. At least that is all we know of. With the high number of people who have it or had it and didn’t know if, maybe all 3 of them had it.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » COVID hits home! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

COVID hits home!

Started by Rogillio
Views: 442 Posts: 1

2021-07-28 1:33 PM Rogillio

Is covid over?

Started by Rogillio
Views: 515 Posts: 4

2021-03-03 10:35 AM briderdt

Trump has COVID