World Triathlon Corporation
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 34m 5s
Overall Rank = 96/1795
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/151
Pre-race routine:

Got a few hours of sleep, woke up at 3:45, got dressed. Ate 3 pancakes with some milk and cherries. Drove to Mr. Mike's and was able to catch a shuttle to transition. Shuttles were a mess, so ended up walking back to the swim start with Joe and Kelly to get our wetsuits on. Pouring rain the whole time, but at least not too cold.
Event warmup:

Swam for a few minutes right before getting in line. At the last moment decided to move up several rows, "let's see what happens".
Swim
  • 58m 57s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

Absolutely stunned with my time here. Did not think sub-1 hour was possible, and did that with time to spare. Start was rough jockeying for position, but was able to settle in with a nice group for most of the first loop. On the second loop found myself alone at times, and had to put in some increased efforts to find feet, which definitely paid off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, best swim ever.
Transition 1
  • 06m 42s
Comments:

Totaling over a 1/2 mile a fairly long T1, uphill from the lake to transition. Once there didn't rush but also moved with purpose. Skipped the socks because everything was wet.

Prolly could've moved quicker, but no major regrets.
Bike
  • 5h 57m 38s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Rain had stopped, but the first time down to Keene roads were still pretty wet. Was able to settle in and finished up the first loop around 2:55. I was a little above my power numbers so made a note to back off slightly in the second loop and save it for the run. Sun came out and it got warm, especially down in the valley, and wind picked up for the second loop. Around mile 80 my stomach started getting angry, so made slight alterations to the nutrition plan. Basically took on food in small doses and took more water from the aid stations. Had been pouring water on my back the whole way, and continued to do so.

Power avg = 147
Normalized = 157
VI = 1.068
TSS = 277.6
IF = 0.683

Overall the choices I made turned out to pay off on the run.

One thing I would do different - I tried to change gears with my bottle once, causing a dropped chain that cost several seconds.
Transition 2
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

Was very happy to get off the bike and probably a bit too causal here. Took the time to dry off my feet and get socks comfortably.

Speed things up a bit.
Run
  • 3h 25m 23s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Amazing, incredible run. After getting down the hills at the beginning, I settled into a very manageable pace. I walked briefly at each aid station, alternating taking a block with water, and taking Gatorade and water each time. Also made sure to continue to dump water on my neck/back each time. I was really overtaking the field, the only people to pass me on my loop happened early, and I passed them later on. I got a little concerned when I discovered there was no salt on the course, but was able to get by without it. Had to focus to keep emotions in check late in the first loop when I was feeling great, knowing things would not be so easy later on. Knowing I was moving up my age group toward a possible Kona spot definitely helped push through the pain as the miles got long. Never walked unless I wanted to, even up Subway Hill to the finish line. What a run.

Absolutely nothing, so so happy with this. Looking back at the data I somehow actually negative split this run. What?!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, stumbled around before finally sitting down with some food. Did a Normatech session before coming back out to cheer on finishers.

Took until 1:00pm Tuesday, but officially got the invitation for Kona!!! Dream come true!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was beyond my best case scenario. In future years will try to get better on the bike, but for today this blew away expectations.

Event comments:

So glad to be able to race in the COVID era. A few changes were disappointing or head scratching, but all said and done I'm quite happy.

Last updated: 2021-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:58:57 | 4224 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/151
Overall: 102/1795
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: New swim course, one loop back to beach that was greater than 1.2 miles, then all the way across the lake, exiting on the other side.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:57:38 | 112 miles | 18.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/151
Overall: 224/1795
Wind:
Course: Some minor changes from past years, but basically the same loop climbing out of town to the Keene descent, then a fast section on 9 before hitting rollers leading into the long grind through the notch back to town. x2
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:25:23 | 26.2 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/151
Overall: 43/1795
Course: Down from Northwoods and out of town to the River Road. Coming back the turn around in town was at the bottom of Subway hill. New this year was a loop in the horse show grounds each time you passed it (4 times). Finish on main street in front of the torn up oval.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2021-07-30 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Ironman Lake Placid

2021-08-01 7:54 AM
in reply to: #5277381

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ironman Lake Placid
Way to go! Great day even before you got off the bike..and then that run split. Amazing.

Congrats on your day.
2021-08-04 1:57 PM

User image

Great race. You set a great example of how to set yourself up for a solid run. Congrats on the Kona spot!
2021-08-10 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

great race thank you for sharing

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Lake Placid Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake 62 Cotswolds Tri