General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What watch? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-08-23 1:51 PM

Subject: What watch?
OK so i have started training for some sprint tris early next year. I MIGHT doa 70.6 later but ...

do i really need a gps watch for running 5K? granted running is by far my weakest leg. or will a simple timex ironman suffice?

2021-08-24 7:37 AM
in reply to: st0ut717

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: What watch?

I have worn a simple Times Ironman through a number of races Including a 140.6. I have, at times, used a heart rate monitor that had a foot pod for distance, but that doesn’t work with my computer any more, so it’s in a box.  Most races have electronic timing and publish the results so tracking your own time offers low value.  

Even a 5K usually has a well marked finish line and many have 1 mile and 2 mile markers so you know how far you’ve gone. 

2021-08-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Thanks for the input.
I was thinking that a garmin or even a TImex GPS was a bit overkill for my needs. Goal to finish a sprint tri in the middle of the pack.

As a scout leader i have been wearing an analog Expedition for a decade ( BTW you can navigate with an analog watch in a survival situation) i tried the apple watch but i am WAY to brutal on watches for that device.

looks like ironman it is.

Thank you

2021-08-24 5:51 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by st0ut717 Thanks for the input. I was thinking that a garmin or even a TImex GPS was a bit overkill for my needs. Goal to finish a sprint tri in the middle of the pack. As a scout leader i have been wearing an analog Expedition for a decade ( BTW you can navigate with an analog watch in a survival situation) i tried the apple watch but i am WAY to brutal on watches for that device. looks like ironman it is. Thank you

It’s easy to get “enamored “ with gear. 

And I know exactly what you’re talking about. My avatar is from a 2005 Philmont expedition (was in Illinois at the time).  

2021-08-25 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
I've used my trusty ironman for many many races, and even my morning alarm for years.

I also have a Garmin Forerunner 235, which is the bare bones Garmin model and really enjoy it also. I use it mostly for Strava to look back and measure routes, accumulate miles, and beat my best times on segments.
2021-08-26 4:48 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2021-08-27 9:48 AM

DC
But... for me... seeing your progress on a calendar on-line, serves a great inspiration to keep going.
2021-09-15 10:23 AM

New user
East Tennessee
I like my GPS watch (Samsung Gear) because I can hit start/end and let it do the work. I like the ability to track on Strava or other site and see how my performance changed with elevation changes. It is also nice to be able to compare matched runs on those sites.

A regular old Timex will work too, but you have to look at the time - at the distance and then remember the times at 1, 2, 3 miles. The GPS watch will track every step (and pace at that step) and provide voice updates without you having to look, calculate, or remember.

I'm a fan of the GPS capability. A lot of times I just use my phone instead of my watch. I like having it when I'm training in case of trouble or injury.
2021-10-04 4:38 AM
in reply to: volfireman07

Great
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What watch? Rss Feed