General Discussion Triathlon Talk » college student doing a capstone project Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-09-23 12:31 PM

Subject: college student doing a capstone project
Hi all, I am doing my capstone project over a company for triathlons. I was wondering if anyone could be so kind and let me know what training programs you have used, what you like and dislike, things like this.

Any information helps, souring for this info online is really difficult when I know nothing about the triathlon community, so I decide to go straight to the sources!

Thanks in advanced,
Michelle

2021-09-27 3:39 PM
in reply to: shelldeason

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: college student doing a capstone project

This is what I have used in the 7 years I have been in the sport.  I have also written several of my own plans from start to finish that lasted between 8 weeks to 6 months in durration.

1) I have used Multiple training plans/training groups/coaching via Beginner Triathlete and connections made on Beginner Triathlete. 

2) I have used TrainerRoads bike and triathlon plans.

3) I have used the FIRST run-less-run-faster run plan. 

4) I have used the Berry-P or 1-2-3 run plan. 

5) I have used the TriDot Pre-Season plan. 

6) I had an on-line coach for a year.

7) I used a 15K running plan from the AllState Hot Chocolate 15K race series  

2021-09-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've used several of the programs on this website (some are free and some you have to get a paid membership for) as well as attempted to design my own programs using online resources. There are also several books by a well-known coach, Joe Friel, that I have used for reference, though I've never followed his training programs exactly.

At some point, I got frustrated by the mismatch of various programs to my strengths and weaknesses (I had a strong background in running and swimming but not cycling, which is a bit unusual), and lacked the knowledge base to really know how to balance my training properly between the three sports, or train properly for the bike. In the end I decided to work with an online coach for much of each year. She's a partner in a coaching business--a small group of coaches who do private coaching for individuals. There are lots of those out there--some very large outfits like Endurance Nation, and some just a single coach with only a few athletes. Many triathletes (including me) log their workouts on Training Peaks. There is a feature there allowing you to search for a coach. TP also provides a platform for coaches to give workouts online to their athletes, for athletes to log their training (some use it only for that), for coaches to view what the athlete has done (uploaded Garmin files, for example, and comments), and athletes to get feedback from the coach. Hope this is helpful!
2021-10-07 8:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I use the custom training plan creator here on Beginner Triathlete. It takes your current paces and feeds them into an algorithm and produces a plan based on how much time is remaining before your race.

I like that the distances and paces are customized to me.
I don't like that the run training for the Ironman only takes me up to a maximum of 16 miles for a long run, so I actually altered that for myself and went up to 20 miles.
2021-10-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alicefoeller ..... I don't like that the run training for the Ironman only takes me up to a maximum of 16 miles for a long run, so I actually altered that for myself and went up to 20 miles.

I haven't done a 140.6 race but in 2019 I got bullied into doing a full marathon two weeks after my "A Race" triathlon.

The only change I made to the plan I had in place for my A race Triathlon was to increase my long runs by 20%.  I however limited my long runs to a maximum of 2-1/2 hours because I was worried that if they got longer than that they would put too much stress on me and I wouldn't recover in time for my swim/bike workouts and my overall training would suffer.  So I never got any 20 miles in before my marathon.  My average long run was 16 miles.  I nailed that marathon.  I attribute that to the fact that my 16 miles runs were short enough that I could do all of them as tempo runs and then build my aerobic engine on my long bike rides.  You, definitely have to get creative at fitting everything in when it comes to triathlon and what some people can leave out others can't so you end up modifying about every plan you come across.  :-

2021-10-08 5:07 AM
in reply to: shelldeason

User image

I think yes

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » college student doing a capstone project Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bikes for Kids doing Triathlon

Started by Hook'em
Views: 25330 Posts: 17

2021-04-22 10:11 AM kauffmandorthysh11