United States
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 28s
Overall Rank = 104/189
Age Group = F50–54
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am, race start was 7:30am. Prepped everything the night before so it was easy to stay calm and work through what I needed to do. Ate 2 packages of quick oats, applesauce, 2 hard boiled eggs, and tea. Plus 16 oz of Nuun. Got to poop too!
Event warmup:

No swim warm up. It was a workout to get into my wetsuit. Did some arm warmups, but that's it.
Swim
  • 43m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

18/51 Female
TT set at 58
This swim was just a few seconds faster than my fastest swim at the Waconia Half. Both were wetsuit swims, which really does make a difference for me, shaving minutes off of my swim. I don't remember ever feeling this good in a long race swim. I finished and thought I could do that distance again. I felt really comfortable throughout. I started off smooth and really focused on swimming my swim, going wide around the buoys and just having an uneventful swim. Mostly it was pretty quiet being in the first wave after the Open wave. I started closer to the front than I usually would, which was smart. I mostly avoided the sun as it was rising so I was able to see well. Goggles didn't fog. I mostly could see the buoys. Midway through, the men in the wave behind me started passing me, but not too many. It wasn't until after the last buoy turn that I started to have to navigate more between people. But it went well. Water was smooth. Murky as usual. It went great really.
What would you do differently?:

Stick with Purple Patch swim training. I've really progressed well this year. Thanks to the pandemic I had to schedule my swim time, and I swam much more consistently. Also all the work with toys and drills, and different efforts, I learned how to swim faster with good form. Also, I actually started to get good form, with a pull that propelled me forward. I'm still surprised that I could progress this much without a coach present.
Transition 1
  • 03m 21s
Comments:

1/10 in AG
10/51 Female

Ugh! As I was getting help being pulled out of the water, the volunteer tried to start to unzip my wetsuit. But it unzips from the bottom up so they were confused and ended up detaching my zipper pull. So I had trouble grabbing it. And then as I passed the wetsuit stripper, I was struggling get it off of my heels. Bill was right there and suggesting I let the wetsuit stripper help. Despite my better judgement knowing it would take longer, I got on the ground so they could pull it off. But they had problems getting it off too. So I kind of spent too long on the ground getting it off. Next, ALWAYS GET THE WETSUIT OFF YOURSELF. Otherwise, T1 went fine. After getting the wetsuit off, I slipped on my T1 shoes and ran up the long hill and through transition past many many people. I still believe that for me, putting on the sneakers for transitions like this does save me time. My bike was almost all of the way to the bike out of transition. Once I got to my bike, it was really fast to get going and out of transition. 42/209, slow T1 for me but still solid.

Never get help with my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.24 mile/hr
Comments:

18/51 Bike

Just 2 seconds slower than the last Kerrville Half! But a lower HR by a couple of beats. First half of loop 1 felt great. 2nd half of loop 1 felt crappy and rough, and I was getting uncomfortable. First part of 2nd loop still felt good, but there was a headwind, so slower. Last part of second loop I felt much better, pushing hard, and much more comfortable in the saddle. Kept in aero more. A little chilly at the very start with being wet and the cool temps, but never felt cold. Being so close to the front, the course wasn't crowded at all which was lovely. I just sped along doing my own thing most of the time. It was a really fun ride. I kept repeating "protect the neck, watch the road" the entire ride.

My time outside in aero. More consistent bike training. More long rides. But really, I'm quite pleased with how the ride went.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

1/10 in AG
3/51 Female
11/209

I got to my rack only to realize I hadn't gone far enough. Racked the bike there anyway and ran to my T2 bag. Mostly, really quick getting through T2, especially since I put socks on in T1. It was a really fast transition!

Nothing really. Well, if I did this race again, I would sign up later so I could get a larger number and get a rack closer to the bike in spot so I wouldn't have to run as long with my bike.
Run
  • 2h 29m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

23/51 Female

Well, it was probably my worst run in a 70.3. The sun really depleted me and the cement start to hurt my feet, especially my left foot for the last few miles. Same HR avg and max as the last time I did this race. But it was hotter with more sun, and my speed showed by being slower. But I feel like I really managed the run pretty well. Enough so, that I finished happy despite reaching only my D goal out of A–D. I had a fun race!

More run heat training leading up to the race. More consistent run training.
Post race
Warm down:

I finally got to float in the river after the race and it felt GREAT.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat training and consistent run training

Event comments:

results: http://www.mychiptime.com/searchevent.php?id=13504
20/51 Female

Last updated: 2021-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:12 | 2112 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 89/189
Performance: Good
Garmin Data 29 strokes/min. Avg Stroke Rate 49 Avg. Swolf Temperature 75.2 °F Avg Temp 73.4 °F Min Temp 75.2 °F Max Temp 2:01 min/100 yd air temp 52° 144 bpm Avg HR 169 bpm Max HR
Suit: sleeveless
Course: rectangle
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:21
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:15 | 56 miles | 18.24 mile/hr
Overall: 110/189
52–77°
Wind: Some
Course: Nice on the way out, chip seal on the way back with a couple of challenging hills. 2 loops 151 bpm Avg HR 164 bpm Max HR
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:29:51 | 13.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 112/189
Performance: Below average
164 bpm Avg HR 175 bpm Max HR Temperature 88.5 °F Avg Temp 80.6 °F Min Temp 95.0 °F Max Temp
Course: cement, and a LOT of sun
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes