United States
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 57m 17s
Overall Rank = 661/716
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

Check in day things were all over the place missed where check in was to be at so had to head into town ( late) back to the race sight to ride only to have a mechanical so back into town, a message to my friend Dirk seeing if he knew anyone in Muncie to help, got the issue fixed then back to the sight, got in my run and swim (where I was FINALLY about to feel comfortable in my long sleeve) only to find out the race briefing was,,, back in town, Once in town we decided to speak with someone about how to get to the race sight in the morning as most roads were shut down and skipped the briefing, thank god for Andy and coach Katie and Dirk for being so supportive with all of this.
With the late start I was able to sleep until 5:30. finally got up about 6. I Was able to get down half a bagel by 8. I wasn't hungry but didn't have my typical morning nervous stomach so that was a win from the start. Andy and I left about 7:20. Sipped on my scratch mix and felt good about the day. We arrived and I received a text from Dirk, saying he was at the race which was an awesome surprise he had lots of people to cheer on and it was so great to have him there for support. In transition I was super focused on getting my nutrition all set and laid out right this is another area I tend to overlook because of nerves. I was feeling really good about the day!
Event warmup:

I was able to get into the water for a quick swim look at where the buoy's were and make sure my wetsuit felt comfortable which it did, Met Andy back on the beach decided on the 43 -46 min group until it was time to go ate my chews heard the gun and we were off.
Swim
  • 51h 26m
  • 2112 yards
  • 2h 26m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

No Panic today I felt great, Just had one person who although we were in the back of the pack apparently thought he was going for an award and practically swam over me and another I just could not get away from for probably the fist 1000 yards who kept stopping in front of me so id have to find away around then would swim next to me , past me then stop but I didn't let it frustrate me I just kept trying to find open water, Once we rounded the final buoy it was like I wasn't going anywhere.
What would you do differently?:

Find a way to keep a better line and swim around the buoys instead of slowing to do breast stroke
Transition 1
  • 07m 28s
Comments:

I decided not to run the 1/4 plus mile to not get the HR up> I remembered to lotion up at the hotel and then put on body glide so my wetsuit slipped off like butter. O made sure I had all the nutrition and moved slow so I didn't get panicky

have a better plan for how I ma going to transition into my bike mode
Bike
  • 3h 40m 18s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I planned for a flat course ( I dont think Ironman actually knows what flat is LOL) Came out of transition and felt really good, I didnt feel like my HR was too high and it seemed pretty easy then about maybe 10 miles in it could of been less or more my glute and hamstring on the left just went into a knot. I couldn't get into aero without it becoming pretty intense so I focused on nutrition, singing skillet surviving the game and invincible and calling on my angels for help to get me through. I ended up riding upright most of the ride. You could feel a storm moving in the wind kicked up, I kept thinking just wait till the bike is over but nope...I dont remember ever riding in the rain and it was actually kind of fun, as we rode my shoes were filling up with water from what I guess was the front tire??? I was able to let my glasses slide down a bit and then had a clear view between the glasses and my helmet. There was an area where there were so many people cheering it was a much needed boost. I was to the second turn around and finally up ahead I could see Andy waiting and cheering which gave me the boost to get this thing done! I seemed to get a lift from that and pushed a bit harder to finish. The win was I had only a slight stomach issue that went away after a couple minutes.

Practice using my wahoo computer so I have a better gauge of where I am at . Ride harder outside and get another fit to eliminate this glute/hamstring issue.
Transition 2
  • 06m 45s
Comments:

again slow and steady to make sure I had everything, stopped to use the porta potty

move a bit quicker
Run
  • 3h 10m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The plan was to walk 5 min then get into my groove. I was ale to do this for maybe 4 miles. at about mile 3 I saw Dirk again stopped a chatted for a minute then I was on my way kept trying t make deals with myself but nothing seemed to be working.
Kept up with nutrition and ended up waiting like 5 min at a porta potty which now I am thinking that wasn't smart......I then found someone to run /walk with about mile 8 we did this until miles 12 and I just couldn't find the drive to run I told him to keep going I am not sure what happened here. I did keep up the smiles and cheering others on so that helped. I never felt like quitting just couldn't get my body and mind to work together
Again the big win no stomach issue!!!!!!

Get my run training in no matter what.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing really

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick for 2 weeks prior didn't help but I had also missed too many training sessions

Last updated: 2021-10-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
51:26:00 | 2112 yards | 2h 26m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/16
Overall: 661/716
Performance: Good
Ended up doing 2386
Suit: Blue Seventy long Sleeve
Course: one loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good