General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midwesterners: American Triple T is open! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-10-15 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Midwesterners: American Triple T is open!
American Triple T has moved to a new location in Ohio - Salt Fork State Park.
Registration opened today.
The website buttons are a bit confusing and didn't take me to the true Triple T registration the first time.

The correct registration link is:
https://triregistration.com/reg2/Race.php?eventid=886
And the informational website is:
https://americantriple-t.com/american-triple-t/

This is a 4-race weekend.
Each participant does a super-sprint Friday night to warm up and meet the other participants.
Two Olympics on Saturday (one in a funny order - Bike-Swim-Run)
and a hilly Half-Iron distance on Sunday.

It's EPIC!

2021-10-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Cypress, Texas
Subject: RE: Midwesterners: American Triple T is open!

I am seen some of these Multi-race weekends.  I have raced at a few of them but only ever done one race.  Who has done multiple races in one weekend?  How did they go?  What are your thoughts on pacing multiple races on a weekend?  What are your throughs and recovery time between events in this type of format?

2021-10-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I did Triple-T one time before.
It was psychologically different from a full Ironman, because you finish, relax, begin to refuel and rest, and then you have to drag yourself back to the start line when you are neither completely refueled nor completely rested. A lot of people drop out because they just can't bring themselves to face a half-iron on Sunday morning, and it's pretty easy to just go back to sleep. Also the water is really cold in May, and that's no fun. Doesn't make you want to jump out of bed to plunge into that.

Physically for me it was easier because my body is not very good at fueling while on the move, so it was easier for me to get some calories onboard while sitting down and I could keep going throughout the weekend. In a full Ironman, I have trouble staying "with-it" mentally because of calories and electrolytes.

2021-10-22 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I didn't fully answer your question.
For recovery time between events, it's just never enough.
You go back to your car or campsite or hotel room and by the time you feel like eating, you don't have enough time to eat and digest. There's not enough time to nap between races Saturday. You can get a good night's sleep Saturday to Sunday, and you're already at the site, so that works pretty well. There's no sense showing up way early because your stuff is already there and frankly it's already dirty and wet, too.
2021-10-25 5:05 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by alicefoeller I did Triple-T one time before. It was psychologically different from a full Ironman, because you finish, relax, begin to refuel and rest, and then you have to drag yourself back to the start line when you are neither completely refueled nor completely rested. A lot of people drop out because they just can't bring themselves to face a half-iron on Sunday morning, and it's pretty easy to just go back to sleep. Also the water is really cold in May, and that's no fun. Doesn't make you want to jump out of bed to plunge into that. Physically for me it was easier because my body is not very good at fueling while on the move, so it was easier for me to get some calories onboard while sitting down and I could keep going throughout the weekend. In a full Ironman, I have trouble staying "with-it" mentally because of calories and electrolytes.

Great insight!

My challenge is that I can't seem to get in enough races to get the USAT ranking I want every year.  My original game plan when I go into the sport was to do one 70.3 in the spring and one 70.3 in the fall.  Then I started to get USAT scores that were fast enough to be AG All American some years depending on the competition so I tried to switch to doing 3+ races.  I didn't have a lot of local options where I was living and doing more than one out of state race a year would drive my family crazy so when I saw these events that have three races in one weekend I thought it was a good way to get enough USAT races in one weekend to get my USAT rank.  I didn't know if I would be able to race all the event is they were close together though.  It would solve the problem of not having to travle to multiple events.  Then I would just have to solve the problem of executing a multi event race plan. 

2021-10-26 8:39 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by alicefoeller I did Triple-T one time before. It was psychologically different from a full Ironman, because you finish, relax, begin to refuel and rest, and then you have to drag yourself back to the start line when you are neither completely refueled nor completely rested. A lot of people drop out because they just can't bring themselves to face a half-iron on Sunday morning, and it's pretty easy to just go back to sleep. Also the water is really cold in May, and that's no fun. Doesn't make you want to jump out of bed to plunge into that. Physically for me it was easier because my body is not very good at fueling while on the move, so it was easier for me to get some calories onboard while sitting down and I could keep going throughout the weekend. In a full Ironman, I have trouble staying "with-it" mentally because of calories and electrolytes.

Great insight!

My challenge is that I can't seem to get in enough races to get the USAT ranking I want every year.  My original game plan when I go into the sport was to do one 70.3 in the spring and one 70.3 in the fall.  Then I started to get USAT scores that were fast enough to be AG All American some years depending on the competition so I tried to switch to doing 3+ races.  I didn't have a lot of local options where I was living and doing more than one out of state race a year would drive my family crazy so when I saw these events that have three races in one weekend I thought it was a good way to get enough USAT races in one weekend to get my USAT rank.  I didn't know if I would be able to race all the event is they were close together though.  It would solve the problem of not having to travle to multiple events.  Then I would just have to solve the problem of executing a multi event race plan. 

check with USAT whether they count this as 1 or 4 events...BUT...

Even if it’s 4, the nature of this won’t accurately place you in the rankings compared to doing 4 races spaced out. 

2021-10-28 10:04 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by McFuzz

check with USAT whether they count this as 1 or 4 events...BUT...

Even if it’s 4, the nature of this won’t accurately place you in the rankings compared to doing 4 races spaced out. 

I am not interested in doing this race, but I have seen a lot of these multiple races on weekends.  The ones that were near me had all the races set up as individual events and so they all got scored as distinct races.  When I went through the event listing I found people who had done 3-4 events and had scores in all of them.

As far is USAT goes, if you are not an annual member and required to purchase a one-day license you only need one for the entire event.  So if they do an Aquathon on Thursday evening, and Super Sprint Tri on Friday Evening, and Sprint Tri on Saturday morning, and an Olympic Tri on Sunday Morning you can do all four events with one single-day license.  Of course, if you aren't an annual member you don't get a USAT ranking so you don't need to race a minimum number of events.  :-)  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midwesterners: American Triple T is open! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I Able to Become a Decent Swimmer?

Started by Cap0414
Views: 870 Posts: 6

2021-05-17 5:09 PM Micawber

AG All-American Honors suspended for 2020. Replaced by "Notable Athlete" honor only

Started by BlueBoy26
Views: 655 Posts: 1

2020-11-16 8:41 PM BlueBoy26