Alpha Win
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 48m 22s
Overall Rank = 3/102
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Opted to drive up myself the morning of the race. Ate breakfast and headed out. No sherpa this time, but managed just fine. For whatever reason I wasn't too excited to race, mainly looking forward to being done with it.
Event warmup:

Swam a few strokes before getting to the line
Swim
  • 30m 36s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 27s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think the course was a little short because I did not feel like I was swimming my absolute best, but I will definitely take this. Was able to draft well for most of the swim. At one time got off course because sighting into the sun was a challenge.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Was not really rushing here. Took my time to dry off my feet and get socks on knowing it was going to be cold to start.

Not much, happy I took the time to help stay warm
Bike
  • 2h 40m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.92 mile/hr
Comments:

My power meter decided not to work (even though I checked prerace and it was working), but I actually think this helped me push harder than I might've. This was my second best time here ever, and I don't think that would've happened with me sticking to a power plan. I kept the pressure down and held firm as I began to fatigue. I was pretty chilly for the first half, but eventually the sun got up high enough to warm things up. Very happy with this ride.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Fastest T2 in the race. Having such a great bike put me into race mode. I passed two guys in here alone.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 34m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

For all the years this run course was short, they got us back with about a 1/4 mile extra here. Awesome run overall, only 6 seconds back from the 2nd fastest run in the race. As it turned out I came off the bike in 7th place, passed two guys in transition, another right away. Slowly pulled myself into 4th in the first mile of the run. Heading to the first turn around I was planning to scope my position. First place was wayyy ahead and moving well. Second place was absolutely flying and would eventually take the win. Third place was several minutes ahead, would need some help to catch him. Heading to the second turn around I was still a couple minutes behind 3rd, but gaining and he was hurting. I now had motivation to fight through the pain on the second loop.

Going up that long grinding hill the second time is really tough. I just kept thinking if it's hurting me, it's hurting him way worse. Got up to the flats and kept the pressure on, and sure enough caught him just before the final turn around. The guy I had passed earlier in the run really hadn't fallen off too much, so I knew I couldn't just coast to the finish. Kept a smooth pace and enjoyed the downhill ride from there.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, went in the water for a bit. The RD grabbed me and the winner to bring us to the festival next door for a free beer. Was fun chatting with the young college kid who clearly has a bright future in the sport.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much

Event comments:

Overall happy with how Alpha Win did, they have a bad reputation for running races, especially the first time out. Wish the post race food was better (bring back the pizza!), and adding just one more aid station to the run (which would be passed 4 times), would make a huge difference. If they can make those small changes, this will go back to being a favorite of mine, because the course certainly is.

Last updated: 2021-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:36 | 2112 yards | 01m 27s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 4/102
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two loops of a diamond shape. Stayed much closer to shore than in past years.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:38 | 56 miles | 20.92 mile/hr
Overall: 6/102
Wind:
Course: Thankfully Alpha Win did not change the bike course at all, because I love it. Same lollipop around Brandt as always.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:34:25 | 13.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Overall: 3/102
Course: Out and back on the bike path x 2. Uphill for almost two miles to start, flat to the turnaround, then back down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2021-10-16 4:25 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Lake George Half

2021-10-18 9:55 AM
in reply to: #5278475

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Lake George Half
Congrats on the hardware! That is one killer run split..
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake George Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Square Lake Triathlon - Short Course

Started by stevestenzel
Views: 603 Posts: 1

2021-09-21 9:57 PM stevestenzel

Ironman Lake Placid

Started by triguy18
Views: 900 Posts: 2

2021-08-10 3:16 PM jbjboc