General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2021-11-08 4:52 AM

Subject: Winter training
Hello,

37min 10k running, 6'15 400 swimming, used to train 7-9 workouts per week for around 10h total.

I'd like to give a try to Jorge M to boost m'y bike this winter.

What kind of run training do you recommend while doing this ? I often do one long, one tempo and one speed (vo2, hills, or strides)

Thanks a lot
Ivan

2021-11-08 6:28 AM
in reply to: Ivtoub

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Winter training
Jorge's winter plan is TOUGH. You're getting three hard 1 hour rides a week plus a long ride on the weekends. I would find it tough to do much really tough work elsewhere and would focus more on maintenance in the other disciplines. Based on your TT times, I think you're fine anyways.
2021-11-08 9:27 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Ivtoub Hello, 37min 10k running, 6'15 400 swimming, used to train 7-9 workouts per week for around 10h total. I'd like to give a try to Jorge M to boost m'y bike this winter. What kind of run training do you recommend while doing this ? I often do one long, one tempo and one speed (vo2, hills, or strides) Thanks a lot Ivan

I did the Jorge M plan several years ago.  I went bike-focused and followed the program as outlined 4 days a week and just did hour-long Z1 runs two days a week (I don't remember if I did any swimming or not).  I lost a lot of run fitness during those four months but in the spring when I started running again the run fitness and speed came back quickly and in 8 weeks I was running as fast as I ever had. 

My cycling has progressed a lot since I did the Jorge M plan so if I were to do it again (and yes I am considering it), I would want to maintain running and swimming.  

I am currently looking at doing a March 5th marathon and after stewing over different plans for the past two weeks I am thinking that 4 days of running, (1-shorter recovery, 2-medium long tempo/interval, 1 long run) with two bike days (1- medium long tempo/interval, 1-long endurance), and two swim days (1- medium on the day of the short run, and 1-medium long).  You could do something similar If you swapped out the running and cycling.  That would put you at 4-days on the Jorge M plan, 1-medium run, 1-long run, 1- medium swim, 1-medium long swim).  That should achieve a good bike focus while maintaining running and swimming.  

2021-11-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: #5278704

Thanks for the answers.
I was thinking about juste doing thé main sessions, 2 hard indoor ans 1 long ride.

Maybe with that I could keep a tempo run ans a CSS swim, other days easy ?
2021-11-08 2:13 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Ivtoub Thanks for the answers. I was thinking about juste doing thé main sessions, 2 hard indoor ans 1 long ride. Maybe with that I could keep a tempo run ans a CSS swim, other days easy ?

Yes, three rides is enough to make progress.  There is an old thread for this program HERE.  Jorge made some sugestion in the thread on what days to skip for a modified 3-day plan, etc. ou Y might want to start a new thread and see if a few other people will do the program with you so everyone can discuss each week's work. 

2021-11-09 8:55 AM
in reply to: #5278717

I read the post, very interesting.

I think it will be doable to do 2 hard rides, 1 long, and running easy with juste one tempo and some strides or rpace...

Thanks a lot

2021-11-11 10:35 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Ivtoub I read the post, very interesting. I think it will be doable to do 2 hard rides, 1 long, and running easy with juste one tempo and some strides or rpace... Thanks a lot

My standard weeks are two had rides and a long ride.  During standard weeks my two hard rides and indoors on a bike trainer and the long ride outdoors.  During the winter my long rides tend to be indoors too.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Winter training Rss Feed