BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-06-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Ahem...rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Spare bar stool open for me still?

NAME: drfoodlove/Gretchen

STORY: Some high school sports, but never would have classified myself as an "athlete". My 20s and early 30's were abysmal in terms of activity, as I was in graduate school and/or jobs I absolutely loathed, but spent 80 hours a week doing. Started tri training after seeing it in the 2012 Olympics and (stupidly) thinking "I can do that!". Spent a couple of years just following a sprint tri plan with no intention of ever doing one, just using the guided workouts as something to do. First sprint tri in 2014 with my sister--small local thing. It was fun. I was hooked. Upgraded my bike, starting training seriously, did an Oly in 2015, a HIM in 2016 (and every year since) and signed up for a 140.6 for 2019--but life got in the way. My dad fell off the roof of my parents' house and nearly lost his leg, then it got infected and he nearly died. I spent a bunch of time at my folks' house helping them, all the while having some significant health issues of my own. Three surgeries and a few removed organs later, I'm back and am 10 weeks out from my first 140.6.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 22 years (well...okay...technically 7, but only because the US government wouldn't let us get married in 1999) with a 13 year old dog (who is slowing down and getting real old)

CURRENT TRAINING: 10 weeks out from 140.6--about 13 hours a week right now, with 3 swims/bike/run and 2 strength sessions weekly.

2021 RACES: No racing in 2021. I did a virtual in June 2020--hated it. Nothing since September 2019, which was awful.

2022 RACES: I did our local race over Memorial Day weekend (2nd in AG!!). Doing Grand Rapids (Michigan) HIM this weekend (6/12/22) and have Michigan Titanium 140.6 on the calendar for August 14. After that, I signed up for an Oly in September and have signed up for a century ride in June and am thinking about another in October.

WEIGHT LOSS: Yes...a bunch. Would like to lose another 20-ish pounds before MiTi, which seems feasible, since I can't seem to eat enough to keep up with training!

BEER/WINE/SPIRIT: I've stopped drinking--it has helped, tremendously, with the weight loss. Guess 200 calorie/bottle beer doesn't help much with weight loss--who would have thought?!?!

PS...thanks to Mike and Jenn for checking in on me--just saw the messages--got me back here!

2022-06-09 2:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

YAY!!!  WELCOME BACK GRETCHEN!!!!!

You have a lot to catch up on - I actually did a triathlon! 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-06-09 2:25 PM
2022-06-09 3:23 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yeaaaahhh!” Gretchen is back!

Nice to ”see” you!
2022-06-09 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Yay, welcome back to the bar Gretchen.

Sounds like you've had a tough time of it over the last few years. Looking forward to your final 10 weeks of training and getting that 140.6 monkey off your back.

13 hours a week already? Cranking out the big numbers like usual I see
2022-06-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  13 hours a week already? Cranking out the big numbers like usual I see

Yeah, seriously.  "The Machine" is back!!! 

2022-06-09 3:57 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Rollergirl

But seriously, that could be a strategy to try. My next race is a really short one (300m/18k/3k) so I could test going all out from the start to see if I can manage that to start with.

With those distances you should absolutely be redlining it the whole way. Go out as hard as you can and hold on for dear life and see what happens.

Should be fun... Or incredibly painful... or a bit of both

2022-06-10 4:17 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
It's hard to improve dramatically in all three at once (I think you have the fourth discipline down pat with transitions).  That said, at 2:00/100, there's something to be gained on there, whether form, pacing, or sighting, or all three. 

Definitely need to improve my technique. If I try to go faster, I just get tired.

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 for running it's running often with just the right amount of interval work.  I dropped 2 minutes off my 5K time in about a year with focused running (every run has a purpose) maxing at 15 miles a week so it can be done without a huge mileage commitment. 

Yes, that's what I am doing atm

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 I also learned to be tolerant of that VO2 max discomfort during a 5K - lots of self-talk and mind games.

The mental aspect is my biggest holdback I think. I need to work on that

Originally posted by jmhpsu93 RE: weight loss...so tough to judge how much it will impact your overall performance.  Losing weight will slow you down swimming a little (less buoyancy), sometimes a lot on the bike (lower power and momentum, especially on flat courses) and for running...it depends.  Obviously if you're carrying around 10-12 kg of unhealthy weight that's one thing (and doesn't appear to be the problem based on your profile and race pictures), but simply "eat less cookies" isn't always as simple a solution as it sounds.  And besides, I like cookies.  I've raced everywhere from 88 to 96 kg and the sweet spot for me is around 90.  Anything lower than that I start to lose muscle, it requires a huge commitment to diet and lifestyle that would likely result in divorce. 

My profile pic is 4 years old but no, I don't have 12kg extra weight to carry (I did, one year before that photo).
I'd like to go back to that weight, that's 3 to 4kg, not a huge loss but every little helps.
I was thinking that because all the women in my AG (and others) were stick insects and they all beat me. I'll never be that thin, don't want to but I was thinking that if I had 3 to 4kg less to carry, I'd be faster on the run.

Thanks for your input!

2022-06-10 4:19 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

But seriously, that could be a strategy to try. My next race is a really short one (300m/18k/3k) so I could test going all out from the start to see if I can manage that to start with.

With those distances you should absolutely be redlining it the whole way. Go out as hard as you can and hold on for dear life and see what happens.

Should be fun... Or incredibly painful... or a bit of both

I will try that!
2022-06-11 8:52 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Sitting in the hotel room waiting for my HIM race tomorrow. I did myself a disservice by arriving a day early, but oh well. I was planning to work, but my computer has been deactivated by the university (who knows why…a few years ago they gave my email address to someone else, after six years of working there).

Later I’ll be previewing the bike course when I pick up my packet. Other than that, I guess I’m twiddling my thumbs and resting up. Just looked at the maps and the birdseye view of transition doesn’t have water in it. T1 is 0.33miles from the swim exit!
2022-06-11 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Sitting in the hotel room waiting for my HIM race tomorrow. I did myself a disservice by arriving a day early, but oh well. I was planning to work, but my computer has been deactivated by the university (who knows why…a few years ago they gave my email address to someone else, after six years of working there). Later I’ll be previewing the bike course when I pick up my packet. Other than that, I guess I’m twiddling my thumbs and resting up. Just looked at the maps and the birdseye view of transition doesn’t have water in it. T1 is 0.33miles from the swim exit!

The tri I just did had that, and it was uphill to boot.  I fiddled around with old shoes and finally just ran in barefeet because I couldn't get them on wet feet. 

I always go back and forth on coming down the night before a race vs. staying at home and getting up early.  One the one hand you get to sleep in a little later but on the other you might not sleep as well.

Good luck tomorrow!

2022-06-11 10:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Sitting in the hotel room waiting for my HIM race tomorrow. I did myself a disservice by arriving a day early, but oh well. I was planning to work, but my computer has been deactivated by the university (who knows why…a few years ago they gave my email address to someone else, after six years of working there).

Later I’ll be previewing the bike course when I pick up my packet. Other than that, I guess I’m twiddling my thumbs and resting up. Just looked at the maps and the birdseye view of transition doesn’t have water in it. T1 is 0.33miles from the swim exit!

That’s a long way to T1!

Good luck tomorrow!

2022-06-11 12:05 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen welcome back!!! So great to hear from you, and glad to hear you are healthy and back to your machine-like ways! Hope your race today went well!!
2022-06-11 12:16 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a really good week! I woke up early each morning and was able to stick pretty closely to my plan. I did 20 min run/walks on Monday and Wednesday, and a 30 minute one yesterday. Did 20 minute rides Tuesday and Thursday, and then did a 45 min PZ ride this morning (just started a new challenge). Also did some core today, and did some stretching throughout the week. My neck has still been bothering me so I avoided swimming this morning.

I made a couple changes that helped me a lot, the biggest one being I set timers for IG.and Facebook so I can only use the for a half hour a day. Also set it to focus starting at 5:30am so it closes after 5 minutes. I was just mindlessly scrolling when I woke up which was a really unhealthy habit to build.
2022-06-12 6:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I had a really good week! I woke up early each morning and was able to stick pretty closely to my plan. I did 20 min run/walks on Monday and Wednesday, and a 30 minute one yesterday. Did 20 minute rides Tuesday and Thursday, and then did a 45 min PZ ride this morning (just started a new challenge). Also did some core today, and did some stretching throughout the week. My neck has still been bothering me so I avoided swimming this morning.

I made a couple changes that helped me a lot, the biggest one being I set timers for IG.and Facebook so I can only use the for a half hour a day. Also set it to focus starting at 5:30am so it closes after 5 minutes. I was just mindlessly scrolling when I woke up which was a really unhealthy habit to build.

Yeah! Way to go Nicole! So you mean you still wake up at 5:30 but instead of scrolling on FB and IG, you train?

Did a 1850m OWS race yesterday. I finished dead last, as usual. Against triathletes I am middle/back of the pack when it comes to swimming (often catching up with a few in T1, did I mention I was the Queen of Transitions? ) but against pure swimmers I don’t have a chance in hell, they all left me floating there and crossed the finish line 10 minutes before me.
Still, very happy with my time as I did smash the time I had last time (2 years ago) at the same race by about 5 minutes. Also I used this race to build up some willpower and did not slow down the whole race, even tried to push at the end.
After that, I went for a quick 4k run round the lake, again, trying to push through some pain and not slow down.
Today is long ride on the program but it started to rain a little too much. I think I’ll go for a long run instead, and ride tomorrow.

Will spare of thought for you Gretchen, go and crush it!

2022-06-12 9:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Good luck for your 70.3. Although I'd guess you're probably done by now. How did it go? Ironman NZ has a 6-700m run from the swim exit to T1, and uphill too. Don't stress about it. Everyone will have slow transition times. Hopefully the organizers put some carpet or similar down for running in no shoes post swim.

Nicole Looks like a good solid week. Well done!

FIt Nat Good job on your swim. I'm the same, in Tri's I'm usually mid pack, but in stand alone swims, I'm being lapped by 12 your old school kids. Just goes to show how poor at swimming the average triathlete is.

Myself The covid recovery continues. Still having the occasional sore throat/blocked up nose. The tiredness/fatuige seems to have passed tho. Which is good. I'm seeing the family Dr tomorrow (prescription renewal, not covid) but will wait till I've spoken to her and got the all clear to resume training. But planning on a Z1-2 zwift ride tomorrow.

In other news, I haven't yet been brave enough to discuss this with Mrs Bullfrog. But I'm planning/wanting to do another Ironman, in 2024. After my birthday last week, I'm feeling old (combined with fat and unfit) If I actually apply myself consistently, for the next 20 odd months till IMNZ 2024, Maybe I can hit 40 in something resembling good shape. Having a goal race helps with motivation, if I can get approval from the social and financial committees trying to knock several hours off my Ironman time is a good way to get that motivation.

Edited by bulfrog 2022-06-12 9:11 PM
2022-06-13 12:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good to hear that you have a little more energy BF. Good idea to wait and hear what the doctor says before you start training again. Take it really easy to start with.

Great idea about having a goal race! Hope the financial and social committee will approve your application. I imagine it’s tough to balance the amount of training required for an IM and life with small kids! Good luck!

Have a great week everyone!

2022-06-13 10:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Yeah! Way to go Nicole! So you mean you still wake up at 5:30 but instead of scrolling on FB and IG, you train?

Yep! It's been really solid so far!

I struggled to wake up this morning, but still got in a 30 minute run/walk. Decided I'm going to do another week of the run/walk thing, and then next week go into full runs and see how I feel.
Also did a 45 minute PZ ride Saturday morning, followed by core and 10 minutes of yoga/stretching. Took Sunday as a rest day.
2022-06-13 10:22 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Bullfrog, I hope you were able to get cleared by the doc and get back to 100% soon!
2022-06-13 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Yep! It's been really solid so far! I struggled to wake up this morning, but still got in a 30 minute run/walk. Decided I'm going to do another week of the run/walk thing, and then next week go into full runs and see how I feel. Also did a 45 minute PZ ride Saturday morning, followed by core and 10 minutes of yoga/stretching. Took Sunday as a rest day.

Nice work, Nicole.  I do the same thing...no internet until the workout is done and I'm eating breakfast.  I know you have to like, you know, get dressed and go to work and everything vs. me rolling downstairs to my office but that's a great commitment (and probably better for mental health as well).

2022-06-13 8:09 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Yep! It's been really solid so far! I struggled to wake up this morning, but still got in a 30 minute run/walk. Decided I'm going to do another week of the run/walk thing, and then next week go into full runs and see how I feel. Also did a 45 minute PZ ride Saturday morning, followed by core and 10 minutes of yoga/stretching. Took Sunday as a rest day.

Nice work, Nicole.  I do the same thing...no internet until the workout is done and I'm eating breakfast.  I know you have to like, you know, get dressed and go to work and everything vs. me rolling downstairs to my office but that's a great commitment (and probably better for mental health as well).

I only go into the office a couple days a week! But yes, huge commitment, and soooo needed.

Had vball playoffs tonight, so got an extra little workout in but we unfortunately lost.
2022-06-13 9:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good job on the early morning workouts Nicole and Mike.

I've said it before, getting up at 530 for a workout is damn hard. Especially on a cold rainy winters day. But the days I do manage it, I've never once regretted it.

I have regretted staying in bed on more than one occasion tho.

Drs advice today was good to resume post covid exercise, just take it easy. So will be on the bike again soon.

2022-06-14 7:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
There is only one 5:30 in my world, and that's the one that's followed by the letters P and M (in that order).

If I got up at 5:30, I would have to go to bed at 8pm.

2022-06-14 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl There is only one 5:30 in my world, and that's the one that's followed by the letters P and M (in that order). If I got up at 5:30, I would have to go to bed at 8pm.

LOL I'm lights out, TV off by 9:15 at the latest.  I'm going to start eating dinner at 4 PM soon.  

2022-06-14 9:05 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mornings are definitely not for everyone! I am very much a morning person, so once I get moving I'm good to go, and lack motivation in the evenings (I'm either hungry or tired). Also often have activities so need morning workouts. I will say though, I definitely should go to sleep earlier for these morning workouts. I try to be in bed by 9:30 but it's usually more like 10/10:30. Luckily, thanks to my new Zoloft prescription, I haven't been waking up stressed out at 2 or 3am, so am definitely getting better quality sleep than this time last month.

Andrew, glad to hear you are cleared to work out!
2022-06-14 8:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

I'm going to start eating dinner at 4 PM soon.  

We start cooking dinner at around 4:30 most days... does that count? (the joys of parenthood)

I'm not a natural early riser at all. But with the kiddies, before wake up is one of the only consistently available opportunities. Very important with keeping the financial committee from cutting me off

Gretchen! how was your half?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43