BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-06-20 2:16 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I was left unsupervised with no training scheduled today. I scheduled and paid for a sky diving trip (fall? jump? I don't know what to call it, but Imma gonna jump out of a perfectly good airplane). I do have a tiny amount of common sense...I scheduled it for the weekend AFTER my 140.6.

2022-06-20 2:41 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I was left unsupervised with no training scheduled today. I scheduled and paid for a sky diving trip (fall? jump? I don't know what to call it, but Imma gonna jump out of a perfectly good airplane). I do have a tiny amount of common sense...I scheduled it for the weekend AFTER my 140.6.

Yes, that’s the risk, an unsupervised triathlete on a week off, anything could happen! I guess that dryer was an easy fix?

Seriously though, that’s awesome!
2022-06-20 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I was left unsupervised with no training scheduled today. I scheduled and paid for a sky diving trip (fall? jump? I don't know what to call it, but Imma gonna jump out of a perfectly good airplane). I do have a tiny amount of common sense...I scheduled it for the weekend AFTER my 140.6.

Oh hell no!!! 

NOTE:  Mike is afraid of heights and would likely die from fright.

2022-06-21 11:06 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Yes, that’s the risk, an unsupervised triathlete on a week off, anything could happen! I guess that dryer was an easy fix?

Seriously though, that’s awesome!

Dryer needs a part that is now on order. Should be an easy fix when it comes in on Thursday (I hope!)
2022-06-21 11:09 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest week day 2--ummm...you're supposed to accidentally do a sprint triathlon during rest weeks, right? Right?!?! Due to me not paying any attention to what I scheduled this week, I did a 1500yd swim this morning, followed shortly thereafter (about an hour later--had to stop by the office on the way home from the swim) by a brick ride (35') and run (45'). So the swim was a little long and the bike a little short, but basically, a sprint triathlon (minus the fun atmosphere and any hint of speed).
2022-06-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Rest week day 2--ummm...you're supposed to accidentally do a sprint triathlon during rest weeks, right? Right?!?! Due to me not paying any attention to what I scheduled this week, I did a 1500yd swim this morning, followed shortly thereafter (about an hour later--had to stop by the office on the way home from the swim) by a brick ride (35') and run (45'). So the swim was a little long and the bike a little short, but basically, a sprint triathlon (minus the fun atmosphere and any hint of speed).

You gotta work on that T1 time Gretchen, but otherwise great work on the improvised sprint tri (with an Oly swim LOL). 

Some plans have C races in the rest weeks so maybe that's your plan!

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-06-21 12:07 PM

2022-06-21 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got myself to the YMCA at 6 AM for my normal Tuesday work:  treadmill with a little speed work, leg and core work, and a really short cool down swim.  I have no idea how to pace my quality runs right now so I'm just guessing on my speed /VO2 max / tempo paces.  I'm doing a sprint tri in a couple of weeks with a short bike and a flat 5K run so hopefully that'll give me an idea of my run pacing.

2022-06-21 1:35 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by drfoodlove Rest week day 2--ummm...you're supposed to accidentally do a sprint triathlon during rest weeks, right? Right?!?! Due to me not paying any attention to what I scheduled this week, I did a 1500yd swim this morning, followed shortly thereafter (about an hour later--had to stop by the office on the way home from the swim) by a brick ride (35') and run (45'). So the swim was a little long and the bike a little short, but basically, a sprint triathlon (minus the fun atmosphere and any hint of speed).

You gotta work on that T1 time Gretchen, but otherwise great work on the improvised sprint tri (with an Oly swim LOL). 

Some plans have C races in the rest weeks so maybe that's your plan!

What's wrong with that T1 time?!? Seems about normal for me. Plus, I ate breakfast in there, so it is totally normal! :D
2022-06-21 2:19 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
You know how I know Gretchen is back? 27 messages have been posted since I last posted! I love to see this activity , and have missed the Machine's awesome, inspiring updates! Your rest days are like my normal workout days lol.

I made last Friday my rest day aka work from 5:30am until 9:30pm (totally healthy, right?). I did take a break in there for a massage, so I guess there's that...

Played in a grass doubles tourny on Saturday, gearing up for another one this weekend (it's a huge one in PA). Sunday I did a 45 min PZ ride, mostly in zone 4. Monday we had off so I went and played some beach vball, and then this morning did a 45 min PZE ride. Feeling a bit tired and my house is a mess but I will get my stuff together soon.

Oh! Also went to see Tears for Fears (opener was Garbage) on Sunday, so that was super fun! Drank some Goose Island IPA, which is pretty tasty for a non-IPA lover.
2022-06-21 2:21 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy belated father's day to the BaDAS$ dads in the group!

Nat, took me a minute to figure out what a brwim is, but sounds really awesome!

2022-06-21 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e  Oh! Also went to see Tears for Fears (opener was Garbage) on Sunday, so that was super fun! Drank some Goose Island IPA, which is pretty tasty for a non-IPA lover.

I went to the Paul McCartney show at Camden Yards the previous Sunday.  OMG what a great show.  We were thinking of doing the TFF show but I was so exhausted last Monday (somehow 80-year-old Paul was just fine ). 

2022-06-21 4:12 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e  Oh! Also went to see Tears for Fears (opener was Garbage) on Sunday, so that was super fun! Drank some Goose Island IPA, which is pretty tasty for a non-IPA lover.

I went to the Paul McCartney show at Camden Yards the previous Sunday.  OMG what a great show.  We were thinking of doing the TFF show but I was so exhausted last Monday (somehow 80-year-old Paul was just fine ). 

I heard that show was amazing! Glad you got to enjoy it, and hope you have at least recovered by now
2022-06-22 2:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes Gretchen, totally normal to do a sprint triathlon on a rest day, if you're you that is. On a rest day, I maybe go for a short walk or two.Just like Nicole, your rest days are rather similar to a normal workout day for me.

Nicole, that's one way of resting from training I guess. My next rest day will be spent in a car, going down to France to see my mum (1300 miles or so). Not looking forward to it. The seeing my mum bit yes, not the trip. We stay for about a week then drive back.

I will try to go for a short run every day and swim as much as I can (I have planned a trip to the sea, one to a lake and one to a river), There won't be any biking.

Great that you've been to concerts Nicole and Mike. Paul McCartney at 80 seems to have more energy than a lot of people at 50. Good for him!
2022-06-22 7:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Yes Gretchen, totally normal to do a sprint triathlon on a rest day, if you're you that is. On a rest day, I maybe go for a short walk or two.Just like Nicole, your rest days are rather similar to a normal workout day for me. Nicole, that's one way of resting from training I guess. My next rest day will be spent in a car, going down to France to see my mum (1300 miles or so). Not looking forward to it. The seeing my mum bit yes, not the trip. We stay for about a week then drive back. I will try to go for a short run every day and swim as much as I can (I have planned a trip to the sea, one to a lake and one to a river), There won't be any biking. Great that you've been to concerts Nicole and Mike. Paul McCartney at 80 seems to have more energy than a lot of people at 50. Good for him!

Wow - that's a drive Nathalie - for just a week!  I always think I'm nuts to drive down to Florida (about 1,000 miles) for three weeks.  Not to get in your business LOL, but why not fly? 

2022-06-22 10:34 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
The man likes to drive and it's chaos at airports right now so we'd have to be there 6 hours before the flight and in 6 hours we're halfway there (half way to our first scheduled stop that is)

Also we were thinking about taking the dog with us (but we're not)

And I could not be bothered to plan ahead and book 3 months in advance, which you have to do if you don't want to pay 3 times the price

For all these reasons, we are driving down this year. We've done it before, it's never as bad as I think it will be

2022-06-22 11:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I am being a good triathlete today...just swimming and I stopped after only 100yds more than my training plan said to do today (I may or may not have hated what my master's coach put on the board).

I used to love driving. Then I tried to drive solo from Wichita, KS to Montreal, QC in one straight shot--1550miles (25 year olds are dumb, or at least I was at 25). I did not make it and it broke me in a way I'm not sure I'll ever recover from. Now I'm strictly a 10hr girl--if it is less than 10 hours, I'll drive. More than 10 hours, I'll fly (keep in mind it takes 2.25 hours for me to just drive to the airport from my house). Good luck with the drive Nathalie!

2022-06-23 8:01 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour bike ride this morning in the rising sun. I love this time of year! I was home from my workout before 7am!

Now I get to sit and watch my work computer upload files to the cloud so I can turn my computer in to IT. I mean...I've only been backing up for 42 hours now. They tell me if I did this more often, it wouldn't take as long, but I'm not convinced at all. :D
2022-06-23 9:31 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hour bike ride this morning in the rising sun. I love this time of year! I was home from my workout before 7am! Now I get to sit and watch my work computer upload files to the cloud so I can turn my computer in to IT. I mean...I've only been backing up for 42 hours now. They tell me if I did this more often, it wouldn't take as long, but I'm not convinced at all. :D

I'm not sure you understand the concept of a rest week.  LOL

RE:  computers.  I recently fought for two weeks with my IT department because my POS Thinkpad (I had a dud model) wouldn't complete a Windows upgrade.  I was completely down off and on for two weeks before my VP got involved and I got a new laptop.  Keep up the fight!!! 

2022-06-23 9:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove Hour bike ride this morning in the rising sun. I love this time of year! I was home from my workout before 7am! Now I get to sit and watch my work computer upload files to the cloud so I can turn my computer in to IT. I mean...I've only been backing up for 42 hours now. They tell me if I did this more often, it wouldn't take as long, but I'm not convinced at all. :D

RE:  computers.  I recently fought for two weeks with my IT department because my POS Thinkpad (I had a dud model) wouldn't complete a Windows upgrade.  I was completely down off and on for two weeks before my VP got involved and I got a new laptop.  Keep up the fight!!! 

I will...it just gets old. Two weeks ago they turned off all access to local accounts on computers--forcing us to use the network account. The thing is, they didn't tell us they were going to do that and the first time you log into your networked account on a computer you have to be physically on the school's network. I was in Michigan. I was p!ssed. Now I'm fighting to get a $100 hard drive upgrade and have them fix the flickering screen issue I've had since I got this computer. I keep telling them that I'm perfectly happy to not have a computer and go back to the "good old days" where if students wanted to contact me, they had to come to office hours and to lecture without slides. I can and will. Somehow...things usually get fixed pretty quickly after that.
2022-06-23 9:42 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
also...I UNDERSTAND the concept of rest weeks, I just don't execute them very well.
2022-06-23 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I will...it just gets old. Two weeks ago they turned off all access to local accounts on computers--forcing us to use the network account. The thing is, they didn't tell us they were going to do that and the first time you log into your networked account on a computer you have to be physically on the school's network. I was in Michigan. I was p!ssed. Now I'm fighting to get a $100 hard drive upgrade and have them fix the flickering screen issue I've had since I got this computer. I keep telling them that I'm perfectly happy to not have a computer and go back to the "good old days" where if students wanted to contact me, they had to come to office hours and to lecture without slides. I can and will. Somehow...things usually get fixed pretty quickly after that.

Bring back grease pens and transparencies!!!! 

I try to explain to my attending-college daughter what it was like in college 30+ years ago, and I get the eye glaze, "OK Boomer" annoyed look.  I then get all bent out of shape because I'm not a Boomer, which she knows but likes to turn the screws anyway.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-06-23 11:09 AM

2022-06-23 12:11 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Work stress has my sleep all jacked up again. Should get better after today, there's a deadline this afternoon and it's been on my mind all week. Ended up taking yesterday as a rest day since I kept going in and out of sleep and was super groggy. Back at it this morning though with a 60 minute PZE ride. My hamstring is feeling really tight so I'm going to need some yoga badly this weekend.
2022-06-24 2:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Today on ”get to know your Swedish holidays”: Midsummer.

Midsummer is the biggest party in this country, when we get to spend the day eating herring and drinking schnapps. This is a grossly caricatured image but that’s basically the gist of it.

Personally I don’t drink strong alcohol (anymore) but there will be beer of course.

But first, a swim focus brwim!

Have a great weekend!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-06-24 2:31 AM
2022-06-24 9:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

Work stress has my sleep all jacked up again. Should get better after today, there's a deadline this afternoon and it's been on my mind all week. Ended up taking yesterday as a rest day since I kept going in and out of sleep and was super groggy. Back at it this morning though with a 60 minute PZE ride. My hamstring is feeling really tight so I'm going to need some yoga badly this weekend.

Ugh...sleep problems are the worst! Nothing seems to work right when you're not sleeping properly. Hope it gets better soon!
2022-06-24 9:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Today on ”get to know your Swedish holidays”: Midsummer.

Midsummer is the biggest party in this country, when we get to spend the day eating herring and drinking schnapps. This is a grossly caricatured image but that’s basically the gist of it.

Personally I don’t drink strong alcohol (anymore) but there will be beer of course.

But first, a swim focus brwim!

Have a great weekend!

Pretty sure day drinking would be required to get me to eat herring, but to each their own!! I hope it is a good one!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43