BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-07-25 8:40 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I had some good and some not as good stuff from my trip. Starting with the not so good, I definitely didn't eat great (but ate deliciously, and that's what vacay is about, right?). I drank a little more than I anticipated as well, but also had a wonderful time, so no regrets.
I weighed in this morning and I'm back to where I was at the beginning of this month (had been down ~6 lbs), so that didn't feel awesome, but I think I will bounce back quick with a few good days.

The good stuff is that I ran almost every day, so having this vacay was a super great jump start to my run training. It's a lot easier to keep it going after you have a solid week under your belt (at least for me). I also had a great time, and disconnected pretty well other than a little work Thursday morning.

I'm tired today, but managed to get a 60 minute PZ ride in this morning (last one of the challenge I was doing!), 20 min of arms and 10 min of core.

2022-07-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

And the Virtual Tour de France is a wrap...21 stages, almost 23 hours and 420 miles on the saddle.  I finished by watching the women finish their first stage and then the men start theirs, while racing virtually on the Champs-Ellysees (my avatar is very flattering ):

Racing the course virtually makes such a difference in watching live racing.  You know the uphills and downhills and can really appreciate the speeds they're cranking out.  The lady that won stage 1 yesterday was hitting 64 kph on the sprint, uphill. 

I have a recovery week and a long ride this weekend, then my eight week Oly plan starts with spending some time with my head in the water. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-07-25 9:02 AM
2022-07-25 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Nathalie, that is so many races! Sounds like an awesome plan with great motivation! Mike, hopefully you finished your TdF by now! Exciting about the Oly in September, which one are you doing? Gretchen, your training coming together has to be a great feeling! Keep up the awesome work!

Giant Acorn down on Lake Anna, VA. 

2022-07-25 9:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ummm...64kph UPHILL?!?!?!?! A girl can dream...

@Nicole--somehow I missed the new purchase! Congrats on the watch!! Gear shopping is one of my favorite parts of triathlon, which is super weird, because I hate shopping for basically everything else in life

Rest day for me today, before the last big training week of my plan. Taper starts one week from day. I'm staring down a 6 hour ride, 1 hour brick on Wednesday and I'm strangely excited about it. I think IM training has warped my senses. As a friend of mine says--I have a strange way of taking something that sounds fun (bike ride) and turning it into something awful (bike ride starting at 6am and lasting 6 hours, followed by a run). I guess, from her perspective, she isn't wrong. That would have sounded awful to me a few months ago too.

2022-07-25 11:56 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Ummm...64kph UPHILL?!?!?!?! A girl can dream... @Nicole--somehow I missed the new purchase! Congrats on the watch!! Gear shopping is one of my favorite parts of triathlon, which is super weird, because I hate shopping for basically everything else in life Rest day for me today, before the last big training week of my plan. Taper starts one week from day. I'm staring down a 6 hour ride, 1 hour brick on Wednesday and I'm strangely excited about it. I think IM training has warped my senses. As a friend of mine says--I have a strange way of taking something that sounds fun (bike ride) and turning it into something awful (bike ride starting at 6am and lasting 6 hours, followed by a run). I guess, from her perspective, she isn't wrong. That would have sounded awful to me a few months ago too.

I know...right???  I've hit that downhill before and I was terrified.  LOL

Here's the finish:

2022-07-25 1:37 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I had some good and some not as good stuff from my trip. Starting with the not so good, I definitely didn't eat great (but ate deliciously, and that's what vacay is about, right?). I drank a little more than I anticipated as well, but also had a wonderful time, so no regrets.
I weighed in this morning and I'm back to where I was at the beginning of this month (had been down ~6 lbs), so that didn't feel awesome, but I think I will bounce back quick with a few good days.

The good stuff is that I ran almost every day, so having this vacay was a super great jump start to my run training. It's a lot easier to keep it going after you have a solid week under your belt (at least for me). I also had a great time, and disconnected pretty well other than a little work Thursday morning.

Sounds like a successful vacation! You will lose these 6lbs in no time!

2022-07-25 1:45 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
64kph, uphill? No way!

That reminds me of that time when we went to see a mountain stage at the TDF when I was a kid (I was born and raised in France). My parents had the brilliant idea to find a spot where the uphill was very steep, so quote “we could see them better” unquote. Well, all we saw was a blur as they passed us at the speed of light. We had a good laugh about it.

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-07-25 1:45 PM
2022-07-26 7:27 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, congrats on the TdF!!! So impressive.

Gretchen, thanks! I love my new watch so far! It's definitely motivating to see all the stats, and I'm also motivated to improve my sleep score (love me some sleep).

Nathalie, thanks! I weighed in this morning and am just a pound off from where I was before vacay, so feeling really great about that!

Got in a 30 minute run this morning, felt pretty strong! Played some vball last night and have it again tonight (last night was beach doubles, tonight is reverse coed grass doubles).
2022-07-26 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl 64kph, uphill? No way! That reminds me of that time when we went to see a mountain stage at the TDF when I was a kid (I was born and raised in France). My parents had the brilliant idea to find a spot where the uphill was very steep, so quote “we could see them better” unquote. Well, all we saw was a blur as they passed us at the speed of light. We had a good laugh about it.

The GCN guys did a segment about how much faster the TdF guys are now than in the past, and the main reason is their climbing speed.  Makes sense I guess as bikes are lighter now and it's easier to shave pounds than overcome air resistance at speed, which is why big guys like me struggle in all but the flattest races.

Recovery week workout this morning of a short bike, short run, and some dumbbell work.

@Nicole:  glad you're getting into a groove...you might want to go to the pool sometime before your race in October. 

2022-07-26 12:02 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl 64kph, uphill? No way! That reminds me of that time when we went to see a mountain stage at the TDF when I was a kid (I was born and raised in France). My parents had the brilliant idea to find a spot where the uphill was very steep, so quote “we could see them better” unquote. Well, all we saw was a blur as they passed us at the speed of light. We had a good laugh about it.

The GCN guys did a segment about how much faster the TdF guys are now than in the past, and the main reason is their climbing speed.  Makes sense I guess as bikes are lighter now and it's easier to shave pounds than overcome air resistance at speed, which is why big guys like me struggle in all but the flattest races.

Recovery week workout this morning of a short bike, short run, and some dumbbell work.

@Nicole:  glad you're getting into a groove...you might want to go to the pool sometime before your race in October. 

Haha! I suppose you're right...I'm planning on starting in August. The issue is that Saturday is my main day to swim but my weekends are all so busy right now. Might try to swim in Patterson Park pool, although I think you need a special pass for that.
2022-07-26 6:15 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day yesterday, which was nice. Today was a pretty gentle 2200yfs in the pool this morning and then a short (30’!) ride. Having trouble wrapping my head around a 30’ ride.
I had to reconfigure my training plan for the week due to rain. I have a 6 hour ride/1 hour run brick this week and it is the first time we’ve gotten any real rain this summer. Near the trail where I plan to ride in St Louis they got 9” of rain this morning! Ridiculous!

2022-07-27 4:15 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Rest day yesterday, which was nice. Today was a pretty gentle 2200yfs in the pool this morning and then a short (30’!) ride. Having trouble wrapping my head around a 30’ ride.

sounds very short, even for me...

D-3 before my first A race of the year (I have 3 A races, is that even possible?) on Saturday a short/fast one 300/16/3 (m/km). wrote a report last time I did this race in 2018, for your reading pleasure below

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Goal this year is to beat that time. Hopefully it will be enough to put me on the podium but it's all down to who turns up (or doesn't) so not much I can do about that.

Strategy:

Swim: long strokes, concentrate on technique and breathing, find some feet. No need to try and swim faster, I only have one speed
Bike: from what I wrote, it's a lot of ups and downs so push downhill to keep momentum going up
Run: flat course so all out from the start and puke at the end
Transitions: Methodical, no rush but efficient
2022-07-27 5:05 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Just saw this photo from my training race on Saturday. Look at my face. I had just spotted 2 guys sitting on the side cheering us on while drinking beer!

Had to share with the Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-07-27 5:06 AM

(52243761459_1681a4d29b_o (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
52243761459_1681a4d29b_o (1).jpg (1881KB - 16 downloads)
2022-07-27 7:43 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Just saw this photo from my training race on Saturday. Look at my face. I had just spotted 2 guys sitting on the side cheering us on while drinking beer!

Had to share with the Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society!

Nathalie I love this! The look of longing!
2022-07-27 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Ummm...64kph UPHILL?!?!?!?! A girl can dream... @Nicole--somehow I missed the new purchase! Congrats on the watch!! Gear shopping is one of my favorite parts of triathlon, which is super weird, because I hate shopping for basically everything else in life Rest day for me today, before the last big training week of my plan. Taper starts one week from day. I'm staring down a 6 hour ride, 1 hour brick on Wednesday and I'm strangely excited about it. I think IM training has warped my senses. As a friend of mine says--I have a strange way of taking something that sounds fun (bike ride) and turning it into something awful (bike ride starting at 6am and lasting 6 hours, followed by a run). I guess, from her perspective, she isn't wrong. That would have sounded awful to me a few months ago too.

That sounds awful even to me.

Nice work, Gretchen...still an endurance machine I see.

2022-07-27 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Just saw this photo from my training race on Saturday. Look at my face. I had just spotted 2 guys sitting on the side cheering us on while drinking beer! Had to share with the Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society!

Fit Nat <inner voice>:  keep pushing, keep pushing, you got this girl!! <something catches her attention out of the corner of her eye>

Fat Nat:  Ooooo!!! Is that beer???!!!

Great picture!

2022-07-27 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Run: flat course so all out from the start and puke at the end Transitions: Methodical, no rush but efficient

Thatta girl!!!

As for your question about A races, you can certainly have three a year.  An "A" race is defined by your planned taper and recovery, as in you actually taper and recover vs. train right through.  It's easier to do that on sprints and I think there's a training plan on BT here that has you do six races in 26 weeks, two of which are A races.  I could easily see doing a seven week train/build, one week taper/race, one week recover three times in a season.

2022-07-27 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Rest day yesterday, which was nice. Today was a pretty gentle 2200yfs in the pool this morning and then a short (30’!) ride. Having trouble wrapping my head around a 30’ ride. I had to reconfigure my training plan for the week due to rain. I have a 6 hour ride/1 hour run brick this week and it is the first time we’ve gotten any real rain this summer. Near the trail where I plan to ride in St Louis they got 9” of rain this morning! Ridiculous!

That's how long it takes for me to be really warmed up now, but there's something to be said for recovery rides.

2022-07-27 7:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Just saw this photo from my training race on Saturday. Look at my face. I had just spotted 2 guys sitting on the side cheering us on while drinking beer! Had to share with the Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society!

Fit Nat :  keep pushing, keep pushing, you got this girl!!

Fat Nat:  Ooooo!!! Is that beer???!!!

Great picture!

Haha! yes, that's exactly it!
2022-07-27 8:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Woke up feeling really run down this morning. Apparently my Peloton/wifi felt the same. In the beginning of my warm up for my ride this morning, the video started buffering and didn't stop for 3 minutes. I took that as a sign that I was meant to do a run and be done. Got in about a half hour.
2022-07-27 8:46 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove Rest day yesterday, which was nice. Today was a pretty gentle 2200yfs in the pool this morning and then a short (30’!) ride. Having trouble wrapping my head around a 30’ ride. I had to reconfigure my training plan for the week due to rain. I have a 6 hour ride/1 hour run brick this week and it is the first time we’ve gotten any real rain this summer. Near the trail where I plan to ride in St Louis they got 9” of rain this morning! Ridiculous!

That's how long it takes for me to be really warmed up now, but there's something to be said for recovery rides.

I'm this way on the run...it takes a solid 30' for me to start feeling like I know how to run and get to a point where I'm not hating life because I'm running. No wonder I hated running for years!! I never made it past warm up!

Another 30' ride today! It had three baby (3') intervals of Z3 in it. It was cute!

18 days to MiTi...so naturally, I've started obsessively checking the weather. We aren't quite to where I can see a long range forecast, but the averages are available. :P

Edited by drfoodlove 2022-07-27 8:47 AM

2022-07-27 9:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Woke up feeling really run down this morning. Apparently my Peloton/wifi felt the same. In the beginning of my warm up for my ride this morning, the video started buffering and didn't stop for 3 minutes. I took that as a sign that I was meant to do a run and be done. Got in about a half hour.

yip, definitely a sign. hope you'll feel better soon
2022-07-28 4:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Same thing happened to me this morning, woke up 2 hours late and was late for work (no big deal, I'll work these 2 hours another day, we are quite flexible)

Today is supposed to be a day off anyway so I don't need to change my plans. I may even cancel the 9 holes of golf I had planned tonight. We'll see how it feels.

2022-07-28 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Woke up feeling really run down this morning. Apparently my Peloton/wifi felt the same. In the beginning of my warm up for my ride this morning, the video started buffering and didn't stop for 3 minutes. I took that as a sign that I was meant to do a run and be done. Got in about a half hour.
Same thing happened to me this morning, woke up 2 hours late and was late for work (no big deal, I'll work these 2 hours another day, we are quite flexible) Today is supposed to be a day off anyway so I don't need to change my plans. I may even cancel the 9 holes of golf I had planned tonight. We'll see how it feels.

I need to move to Sweden.  Well, except that I hate winter after about two weeks of it, and you have six months.

Actually I have a pretty flexible schedule too and I'm more captive to my meeting schedules than anything else.  Two hour break during the day?  Get in a workout.

I'm on an off day as well today.  Swim and a run tomorrow.

2022-07-28 9:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Yes, winter can be a bit depressing over here. Not so much the cold but the darkness. You go to work in the morning, it's dark, you go home after work, it's dark again.

Not all companies are that flexible, but we are. Especially in the Summer when most people are off anyway, so no meetings.

Enjoy your off day. What do you do on an off day? A sprint triathlon like Gretchen or do you do nothing?

I have decided to play golf tonight. I was really off this morning. I think I may have overdone it yesterday with my running group (5 x 90/75/60/45 seconds sprints- with a mere 30 seconds rest in between each) but I feel much better now. Quite pleased with the way I am recovering here.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43