BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-08-02 8:44 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by Rollergirl Sorry to hear you are still struggling with bugs Andrew. Winter sucks! Thanks for letting me know I am not on my own with these stuggles. I have always more or less been like that. My first swimming competition when I was 5 or 6 was a 50m. I was much slower than anyone else so I got out out the pool after 25. I was not going to win so what's the point? A few years later, as a 13 yo or so, playing a tennis tournament. I won the first 2 matches quite easily. The 3rd one was tougher so I kicked up a fuss and left the court (to my mum's embarassment). Funnily enough, I never gave up doing team sports (although I have wanted to a few times after letting in a stupid goal, but my team mates and coaches never let me (I was a football keeper (in american, soccer goalie)) Started reading the book you recommended Gretchen, I like their writing style, it will be easy to read. Hoping to find tips and inspiration

Oh, I was a petulant little $hit as an athlete as well, but not until college and into my 20s.  Hyper competitive in rec leagues.  Yeah, not my best look glaring at my own teammates for what I thought was not taking the game/match as seriously as I did.  I was also totally un-coachable from baseball little league onward, but at least I wasn't a jacka$$ to my teammates back then. 

Now I compete against myself and age and injury have certainly humbled me over the years.

2022-08-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I'm overly competitive, but only with myself athletically (now...academic matters--that's an entirely different story!). I'm always competing with myself and my past self, so I don't have the issue of throwing in the towel when I get passed in a race. I'm used to it at this point!

Andrew-sorry to hear you've had a rough time of it this winter with illnesses. Good to hear you're back to fighting shape now. Ease into it--you certainly don't want to set yourself back anymore with trying to do too much too soon.

Taper day 2--40' run and a 30' ride with some Z4 intervals. Both were fine. Fixed the brake issue yesterday and now bike is spinning well. Just had it serviced last week, so it shouldn't need anything again before the race.
2022-08-03 7:01 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove
I'm overly competitive, but only with myself athletically (now...academic matters--that's an entirely different story!). I'm always competing with myself and my past self, so I don't have the issue of throwing in the towel when I get passed in a race. I'm used to it at this point!

I wish I could say that. As I am getting older, the chances of winning the races I do (competing against women 20 years younger than myself) get smaller and smaller, even if I still beat many of them as there are many beginners.

I only compete with women in my AG once a year but the rest of the time, I should only be competing against myself and the clock. Tell that to my Chimp brain . Loving the book so far by the way. Thanks again for the tip.

2022-08-03 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
2 x 30 minute evening zwift rides, and 1 short an easy run/walk thing before the family wakes up. Not Gretchen numbers by any means, but ticking along building some consistency. 2 more zwift rides and 2 more morning runs planned to finish the week.

I'm with Gretchen, for me triathlon events are about competing with myself, being better than I was. Unless you're a pro, or fighting for a kona spot our finishing place depends more on who else shows up than our own performance. You could have a disaster of a race, but all the local quick guys aren't there and get an AG podium, or set a PB on every leg, run the perfect race and not break the top 10. Unless your name is Kristian Blummenfelt there is always someone faster However if that's what fires you up, then good for you, keep pushing and get on that podium!

Glad the bike is sorted Gretchen.
2022-08-04 4:33 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

2 x 30 minute evening zwift rides, and 1 short an easy run/walk thing before the family wakes up. Not Gretchen numbers by any means, but ticking along building some consistency. 2 more zwift rides and 2 more morning runs planned to finish the week.

Good you are building up some consistency again. Sounds boring but do take it easy!

I'm with Gretchen, for me triathlon events are about competing with myself, being better than I was. Unless you're a pro, or fighting for a kona spot our finishing place depends more on who else shows up than our own performance. You could have a disaster of a race, but all the local quick guys aren't there and get an AG podium, or set a PB on every leg, run the perfect race and not break the top 10. Unless your name is Kristian Blummenfelt there is always someone faster However if that's what fires you up, then good for you, keep pushing and get on that podium!

I know. The podium finish depends on who turns up (or not) and as I get older, the chances of getting on that podium get slimmer and slimmer. I have to get this out of my head when I am doing village races against women 10 20 or even 30 years younger.

Funnily enough, the only time I raced in my AG this year, I finished last but was very happy with my race. I suppose it's because I knew, looking at previous years results, that I didn't have a chance in hell....

2022-08-04 9:03 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew--nice and easy--it isn't a race to get back to it (pun entirely intended). It sucks, but coming back slowly is so much better for your body than jumping right back in, so congrats on being prudent (something I so rarely am!)

Nathalie--why are you racing against women so much younger than you? Do you all not use age groups over there? I race Athena (when available) and I'm lucky if they divide it into <40 and 40+, otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you--competing against women 20 years younger than me. I'm 43, so when they divide it, I benefit!

Yesterday was a swim (1750yds) and an hour interval ride. In between the two I worked outside all day building a bench for a friend of mine. It was not the smartest move I've ever made. I'm a bit sore today. It did help me keep my taper crazies in check though! I won't finish it now until after my race. I'm so close--I have to put in two more seat slats and then turn and install the decorative elements (it is modeled after these ridiculous benches we have in Egypt (which are the world's most uncomfortable benches in my view, but she loves them). I am building two total, because I have two friends who have always wanted one. I'm pretty proud of this build. It is the first piece I've ever conceptualized, planned, drawn, created cut lists/buy lists, and then built without a plan or drawings from someone else. It has been fun to do, even if I do build furniture like I expect elephants to sit on it (this thing is HEAVY!).

Today is an hour run, but I have to wait for a break in the thunderstorms we are having. Hoping to get it in around noon. Speaking of weather--Grand Rapids on race day is forecast for 84F and 55% chance of thunderstorms (so, good news, bad news situation here), but there is plenty of time for that to change. Yesterday it was 78F and 6% chance of storms. Rain is okay, storms are not.

2022-08-04 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I have a fun story to share from my YMCA visit this morning...the lady behind me while I was on the treadmill talked for almost 30 minutes straight to one of the employees about training and racing for a half-IM.  It reminded me of a good tri joke:

Q:  How do you know someone is a triathlete?

A:  You already know because they told you. 

Anyway I did congratulate her when I got off my hamster wheel (she did Eagleman which is no joke) and avoided getting into deep a conversation about it because I needed to get my workout in. 

Short run and lower body and core training today following by a short swim.  Tempo run with my daughter tomorrow and a swim at lunchtime.  Yes, I've found the pool! 

2022-08-04 11:16 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all!
Been off the grid and certainly have a lot to catch up on.

Nathalie, sorry to hear about your run, but keep us posted about this book and whether it helps! I definitely have days where I feel like, well what's the use if I'm not going to reach my goal, but mostly I remember I paid money to do things so just keep pushing That happened to me once when I got a flat tire and course support was nowhere to be found for a long time. I walked partway and eventually they found me and I still finished the run after, albeit close to last place.

Andrew, sorry to hear you're having bouts of sickness! Winter is definitely the worst and I feel bad you're suffering through it alone (in terms of our group I mean). Definitely take care of yourself and you will be through it in no time!

Gretchen, the story about biking with the brake on and half a sit missing about killed me. I truly do not know how you do it. Such a rockstar. Unfortunately I have no bike knowledge to understand how something like that could happen.

Mike, you going to masters?! I'm going to start up next week! It's gonna be ugly lol
2022-08-04 11:20 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
What. A. Week.

I can't remember when I last posted.
I've been pretty consistent with working out.
I had an axe throwing tournament this weekend that was super fun. But also definitely a super spreader event and I'm praying I come through it unscathed.
I'm down ~7 lbs since July 1! We are in month 2 of a weight loss competition. I did pretty well the first month, won a little money. I'm also working with a nutritionist on getting my macros right and trying to create some sustainable change so I can stop fluctuating so much.

That's pretty much it! Going to see Incubus in NJ tomorrow, hence why I'm not starting swimming this weekend, but I'm really excited for it!
2022-08-04 3:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nathalie--why are you racing against women so much younger than you? Do you all not use age groups over there? I race Athena (when available) and I'm lucky if they divide it into <40 and 40+, otherwise I'd be in the same boat as you--competing against women 20 years younger than me. I'm 43, so when they divide it, I benefit!

Only in bigger races. The ones I do (because I don’t have to travel far for them) are all small village affairs with around 100 participants in total so dividing into age groups doesn’t make sense.

2022-08-05 12:52 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

What. A. Week.

I had an axe throwing tournament this weekend that was super fun. But also definitely a super spreader event and I'm praying I come through it unscathed.
I'm down ~7 lbs since July 1! We are in month 2 of a weight loss competition. I did pretty well the first month, won a little money. I'm also working with a nutritionist on getting my macros right and trying to create some sustainable change so I can stop fluctuating so much.

That's pretty much it! Going to see Incubus in NJ tomorrow, hence why I'm not starting swimming this weekend, but I'm really excited for it!

I hope you didn’t bring back a nasty bug from the axe throwing tournament.
Way to go on the weight loss so far! Do you log calories in and out or do you have another technique?

2022-08-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole:  nice work on the weight loss...I somehow managed to have my biggest training month in over eight years and dropped not one pound, proving you can't out-run your diet ;  as for Masters...maybe - I gotta get through a couple longer swims first but I got a LOT better when I was swimming Masters down in Canton all those years ago

@Nathalie:  OK, 25 year olds are going to beat you, especially running.  Out of the three sports it's the hardest to maintain as we get older.  It's funny I've been in 100-person events around here and they still had AGs...podiums for everyone!!!

@Gretchen:  I have some yard work for you to do if you're feeling taper madness

Morning run with my daughter this morning with a couple of cruise intervals (4' tempo pace w/ 1' RBI  - we were holding like 8:45/mile) and I'll get in a swim at lunchtime.  We have friends coming in over the weekend so the BDAS in me will be on full display! 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-08-05 8:23 AM
2022-08-05 12:28 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nathalie:  OK, 25 year olds are going to beat you, especially running.  Out of the three sports it's the hardest to maintain as we get older.  It's funny I've been in 100-person events around here and they still had AGs...podiums for everyone!!!

Here everybody gets a medal but no podium for everyone

Tomorrow, a race I KNOW I have 0 or less chance of winning, even if I was the youngest of them all so no pressure.

It’s a 4,1 miles lap with start every hour, the winner is the one doing most laps. Could go on for days

I’ll be happy with 3 laps

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-05 12:32 PM
2022-08-05 2:37 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

@Nicole:  nice work on the weight loss...I somehow managed to have my biggest training month in over eight years and dropped not one pound, proving you can't out-run your diet ;  as for Masters...maybe - I gotta get through a couple longer swims first but I got a LOT better when I was swimming Masters down in Canton all those years ago

@Gretchen:  I have some yard work for you to do if you're feeling taper madness

Morning run with my daughter this morning with a couple of cruise intervals (4' tempo pace w/ 1' RBI  - we were holding like 8:45/mile) and I'll get in a swim at lunchtime.  We have friends coming in over the weekend so the BDAS in me will be on full display! 

So do I man, so do I. If it would just stop raining here for like...I don't know...a freaking second!
2022-08-05 2:44 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hour Z1 spin today that was just the boring of the boring. At one point I was resting my head on my hands on my aerobars and just hoping it would be over. My wife walked by and didn't think that was quite proper cycling position. I did it on the trainer because of 1.) rain, but 2.) I'm still tinkering with my saddle positioning after having to remove it last week to replace the screw. I really don't like having to tinker with saddle or cleat positioning this close to my race, with no more long rides to really work it out to perfection, but needs must. I *think* I might have it dialed back in as well as it was before the saddle and cleat issues. Hopefully.

Starting to feel the taper ugginess...I just feel sluggish today and tired (that could have something to do with the 5am meeting I had for work--international research partners make scheduling a b!tch sometimes). And am starting to do the little things to get ready. Yesterday I printed off my checklist for equipment and started trying to think through what will be in each of the SIX bags (pre-race, T1, Bike Special Needs, T2, Run Special Needs, and Post-Race) for this race. I've never done a race with changing tents and bags instead of transition areas, so this is requiring more thinking than I'm used to. I hope I don't forget anything. Today I took the car in for an oil change to get it ready for the drive (7 hours).
2022-08-06 9:04 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Two hour Z1 spin today that was just the boring of the boring. At one point I was resting my head on my hands on my aerobars and just hoping it would be over. My wife walked by and didn't think that was quite proper cycling position.

She knows her stuff! LOL

Starting to feel the taper ugginess...I just feel sluggish today and tired (that could have something to do with the 5am meeting I had for work--international research partners make scheduling a b!tch sometimes). And am starting to do the little things to get ready. Yesterday I printed off my checklist for equipment and started trying to think through what will be in each of the SIX bags (pre-race, T1, Bike Special Needs, T2, Run Special Needs, and Post-Race) for this race. I've never done a race with changing tents and bags instead of transition areas, so this is requiring more thinking than I'm used to. I hope I don't forget anything. Today I took the car in for an oil change to get it ready for the drive (7 hours).

7 hours drive? for a race? Wow! is there anything nearer? do you always travel that far for races?

2022-08-06 12:36 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nathalie—we don’t have a lot of local races and nothing over a sprint within about a two hour drive. The nearest 140.6 distance race is in Louisville, I think, which is a four hour drive. I don’t mind driving a bit—the price you pay for living in the empty part of the state/country. I’ll drive 2 hours for a sprint, four for an Oly, and up to eight for anything else if it is just for the race. If there is some other attraction, like family or a destination, I’d probably do more. I even thought about doing the Egypt 70.3 in November, because I’ll already be in country, but I can’t find a transport company to take my bike there and back (and Ironman doesn’t have one associated with the race).

Today was a 45’run scheduled, that I turned into a 40’ run because I didn’t pay attention to my training calendar and a 1500yd swim. I swam in my tri kit at the pool (ack—the chlorine!), but am so glad I did. Turns out the kit I bought in July is now too big…not a lot too big, but just enough that the shorts catch water and the top twists when I swim. So…the first hour home was a panic buy of all the kits on Amazon (see above about living in the middle of no where—no tri shops for 120 miles in any direction) in multiple different sizes. Thank goodness for free returns! Here’s hoping one of them fits better than what I have. I know…nothing new on race day, and I certainly won’t, but man am I going to be cutting it close! One pair of shorts is due to be delivered on Wednesday. If those are the ones that fit, I’ll have Thursday and Saturday to test them out nothing like going into a 140.6 with kit you’ve worn for a 10’ run the day before!
2022-08-07 4:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Happy with my week,

4 x 30 minute zwift rides, what was planned. Added some intensity to them this week, much more fun/hard than 4 lots of Z1/2 easy spinning I did last week.

3 runs, 2 short and easy, 1 a bit longer and easy. 1hr 15 total.

so, 7 workouts total over 6 days for 3:25 for the week. Not big or impressive at all, but another step back towards consistency.

This week, same same on the bike, but a bit more running, 4 short and easy, and a bit longer for the long run. At least that's the plan.

Mike Congratulations on the biggest training month in 8 years. That's awesome. I have similar experiences, losing weight on no training and gaining it through peak Ironman training months. It's all about the kitchen not the workouts

Nathalie I agree 7 hours is a long drive, but did you not just drive 12hours or so for a holiday? haha. You're doing a back yard ultra? We've got a couple of those here, and I have thought they look like a cool idea. How did you go?

Gretchen Yeah, the logistics for a full 140.6 is a bit more complicated than the rest of the sport. For your bags, lay everything out beside each bag and take a photo of it when you're packing. That way at 10pm the night before when you start freaking out you forgot something you can double check what's actually in each one. It sounds silly but it helped me for my 2nd.

And 2 hours Z1 on a trainer sounds painful whether in taper or any other sort of training. Good on you getting it done regardless. You've been so good checking off your workouts your going to crush race day.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.
2022-08-08 2:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Nathalie I agree 7 hours is a long drive, but did you not just drive 12hours or so for a holiday? haha. You're doing a back yard ultra? We've got a couple of those here, and I have thought they look like a cool idea. How did you go?

Haha! Touché! I knew somebody was going to say that! (It was 20 hours ). I guess in race time to drive time ratio, driving 2:30 hours for a sprint is about the same.

Yes, that’s what they call it, a backyard ultra! Nothing ultra about mine but I was happy with my 3 loops. It’s a great concept. I may give up sprints and do more of these instead. Jog 45 minutes, eat and drink for 15minutes and back to jogging. Combining two of my favourite things! This was the first time I did this so I wasn’t sure what to expect but that was fun. You get chatting to a lot of people while running (if you want), it’s a very social thing. Next time I will definitely do more loops to see how long I can go.
I will never run all night like some (winner, a woman my age, ran 32 loops) but I have more than 3 in me I think.

Congrats on a nice consistent week!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-08 4:37 AM
2022-08-08 3:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Today was a 45’run scheduled, that I turned into a 40’ run because I didn’t pay attention to my training calendar and a 1500yd swim. I swam in my tri kit at the pool (ack—the chlorine!), but am so glad I did. Turns out the kit I bought in July is now too big…not a lot too big, but just enough that the shorts catch water and the top twists when I swim. So…the first hour home was a panic buy of all the kits on Amazon (see above about living in the middle of no where—no tri shops for 120 miles in any direction) in multiple different sizes. Thank goodness for free returns! Here’s hoping one of them fits better than what I have. I know…nothing new on race day, and I certainly won’t, but man am I going to be cutting it close! One pair of shorts is due to be delivered on Wednesday. If those are the ones that fit, I’ll have Thursday and Saturday to test them out nothing like going into a 140.6 with kit you’ve worn for a 10’ run the day before!

Hope you find a suit that fits in time to try it on before the race. I still have and use the suit I wore before I lost a bit of weight but it’s a one piece so I don’t have those issues.
2022-08-08 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Another week in the books here, 4 swims, 4 rides, 4 run/walks and a couple of strength training sessions.  This was a consistency exercise and also trying to run two days in a row (successful).  Not a ton of total volume but everything had some intensity and I did a 1K cruise interval in the pool (18:31 - hoping to drop that a little in the next few weeks).  I just signed up for a 5K race the end of August to get a little hard running practice in as well as it being a fitness test.  

@Andrew:  glad you're getting back at it.  Nice work - now stay healthy!

@Gretchen:  that's a bummer your kit is too big (well, I mean, I guess that's a good thing but still tri clothes are expensive); hope you find something that really feels good - I'm still struggling with the "perfect" race kit and I really don't want to drop $300USD on a Desoto tri suit but I know that's what it's going to come to next year.

@Nathalie:  while I'm sure not driving as far as Gretchen, I typically have to go to another state or the eastern shore of Maryland so at least 1-2 hours and sometimes more; we do have one race really near my house that Nicole does that I need to eventually do

So this week we have Andrew getting further back into it, me packing for Cancun (and adding a little volume), Gretchen bouncing off the walls micromanaging her preparation, Nicole hoping to not die in Masters, and Nathalie prepping to run in circles for hours. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-08-08 8:28 AM

2022-08-08 9:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew--taking pictures is an awesome idea! I do that when I travel internationally, but that's more so I don't have to open each bag to find what I want in transit (i.e., when I hit Cairo on my way down to middle Egypt). It certainly will help calm my nerves.

Mike--your summary of the week is hilarious! And sounds totally about right for this group.

Nathalie--I'm too tall (~6'3"; 1.90m) for a women's one piece and too hippy for a mens. Two piece kits are the only way I can possibly stay decent in a triathlon! i wish though, one piece seems so easy! Well--at least until you have to go to the bathroom.

90'ride/45' run brick yesterday (Sunday) followed this morning by a massive 1000yd swim...taper is killing me!!!!

Saturday I ordered ALL THE TRI KITS on Amazon...thank goodness for free returns. Stuff started arriving yesterday, and will continue through Wednesday, so I'm pretty confident that I'll find something. If I don't, well...I guess I'll use what I have and a lot of SportShield to keep all the movement from causing chaffing. Not ideal, but I'm not going to let a little thing like the kit get in my way.

This will be the first race my wife is ever coming to. Any suggestions for what she can do during the long hours of the bike/early run? She is very heat/sun intolerant, so she can't just sit at the race venue all day (not that I'd want her to do that--she'd be bored to tears). She was planning to to the the local yarn festival (she's a big knitter), but this year the weekends don't sync and seemingly all the local yarn shops are closed on Sunday. I've already told her there is a sports pub right across the street. She can sit in the beer garden/bar and have a grand old time (but not too good, cause someone gotta drive me back to the hotel at the end of the night!). Other ideas?

2022-08-08 10:21 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by nicole14e

What. A. Week.

I hope you didn’t bring back a nasty bug from the axe throwing tournament.
Way to go on the weight loss so far! Do you log calories in and out or do you have another technique?

Thanks! Honestly, for July it was just not drinking and snacking as much, and eating more salad. Now that I am working with a nutritionist I am tracking my food, and trying to meal prep more and find easy meals that aren't going to go out the window when I get tired. I'm steady right now but think this week I will probably drop a little again since it's my first full week tracking and also meal prepping. Definitely the biggest struggle is getting enough protein, so that is a focus this week.
2022-08-08 10:23 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Masters can be brutal, but if I go just one time a week I see change so quickly. I'm going this Saturday morning! It's gonna hurt! It's 2 hours long Saturdays, but I end up strolling in a little late and leaving once my shoulder says it's time.
2022-08-08 10:31 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike that summary was amazing!

Incubus Friday was awesome and I wish I could do it over again.
Got in somewhat of a brick Sunday (30 minute bike boot camp, followed by a 25 minute run/walk). Felt pretty good overall. Got in a 30 minute ride this morning. Wanted to do more, but had a lot to do so just did what I felt I could manage.

Some craziness happening at work right now. Found out my boss is leaving so I have some decisions to make.
Nathalie, you had asked what people do. I work at Johns Hopkins, managing grants and contracts for researchers (have a team of ~16 people when fully staffed), so essentially we help them submit research proposals, and if/when awarded we help them manage the finances and reporting (we make sure they're not using taxpayer money to buy cars and pay for apartments...lol)
My boss is the administrator of the division, so now I have to decide if that is something I want...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43