BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-09-24 4:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone - had a great race coming in exact as planned (3 hours flat).  I'll do a write up tomorrow but very pleased with my effort.  Oh, and it wasn't wetsuit legal, so we had 81 degree water and 48 degree air temps at the start.  

Well done! Looking forward to reading your report

2022-09-24 4:52 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
First day of training after a 17 days break. A slow 10k. Nice to get moving again, albeit slowly.

2022-09-25 5:48 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Congrats, Mike! I’m seeing your stuff on Strava, way to go! Your swim sounds like a hot tub in the winter with a roll in the snow. Hahaha. How did you handle the temps on the bike? Hi all! I’m still lurking and following!

Welcome back, Jenn.  I was about to start needling you on Strava to get back over here.  

The first ten miles were uphill so I was able to get warmed up after a few minutes.  I debated wearing an outer layer but decided against it during T1 as not many people were.  I rode pretty hard (IF around 0.85) so that kept me warm. 

I had more issues during the first half of the run because my feet were numb.

2022-09-25 5:01 PM
in reply to: #5282952

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike that's awesome! Can't wait to read your RR! Sucks about the cold temps and numb feet but glad you still hit your goals!

Jenn welcome back!!!
2022-09-25 5:03 PM
in reply to: #5282962

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in a master's swim yesterday, about 2k yards in 40 minutes (arrived late and had to leave earlier haha oops).

This morning did a 12 mile ACTUAL bike ride (thanks for pushing me to do this, Mike). Did the BWI loop with my friend, then we did a 20 minute run. She had to leave and I was supposed to do a long run so ran another 6 miles! Felt really strong and negative split at the end (8:18 avg pace for the run total). I feel super ready for my race!
2022-09-26 9:53 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Alrighty...enjoy reading about me talk about myself trying to exercise better than other people for three hours:

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=558990&posts=1#M5282969

2022-09-26 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Alrighty...enjoy reading about me talk about myself trying to exercise better than other people for three hours

That's some nice exercising Mike. Well run.
2022-09-26 5:53 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Jenn Nice to see you checking in. Don't be a stranger

Gretchen Absolutely stump grinding counts. Perfect cross training/strength workout

Nathalie Good job getting your training restarted, Nothing wrong with slowly.

Mike I commented on your race report, but well done on your oly. You absolutely nailed those targets and executed your plan to he letter. Great job, and great job understanding what your body is capable of.

No confusing ambition with ability for you.

Me Same story as usual for me, biking went well on zwift in the evenings. Running before work, not so good, 2-3 runs short of what I want. Overall however, happy with my week. S=0, B = 4 rides, 3 hours total, R = 3 runs, 2 hours total. 3 stretching/foam rolling sessions, a little over 30 min total (But doesn't count in the SBR tally) So 5 hours + stretches for the week.

I also channeled my inner Gretchen again, this time with some yard work cross training sessions. I built Mrs Bullfrog 2 raised vege gardens over the weekend, and then shoveled 2 ute loads of soil to fill them, finished off the X-training session with a Heineken in the spa pool.

This week I'm actually racing. It's race 1 of the summer half marathon series on Sunday. Unfortunately I'm woefully undertrained. I had high hopes and big plans 4 or 5 months ago when I entered... but then got sick for most of winter and had my worst training period in years. So the goal is survive and beat the cutoff, this is a catered training run. Race 2 in 9 weeks should be better.
2022-09-27 1:43 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good race Mike!

Welcome back Jenn, do stick around!

Race one is a training run Andrew

Well, 3 days after my comeback to training, I find myself in bed with some kind of bug. Managed a long ride and a short swim at the weekend though.
Oh well, hope I feel good enough at the weekend as I have promised the Teenager I would let him beat me at golf on Sunday for his birthday.

Have a great week all!
2022-09-27 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Three days post race and first day not hobbling around.  LOL  I've been hungry non-stop.  A few more days of taking it easy then I'll do some light stuff, depending on the weather when we get down to Hilton Head (impacts of Hurricane Ian).  I love running on the beach there...hardpack sand is so great on the body.

@Nathalie:  nice to "let" your son win; I might actually venture out golfing myself tomorrow (I brought my clubs down with us just in case)

@Nicole:  glad you remembered how to ride a bike, it's necessary for Saturday 

@Andrew:  yep, training run with some support, right?  Glad to see your consistency on the bike - nice work;  your thought on my wetsuit might be something...I've had the problem without it, too, but not recently (and by "'recent" I mean within the last nine years LOL); gives me a good excuse to buy a new one, right???

@Jenn:  you still thinking about that half marathon you were talking about on Strava?

@Gretchen:  yes you get strength and core work training credit; is there anything you can't do???

@DQ:  update time, how's it going?

Hope everyone is having a good week so far.  

2022-09-28 7:20 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
How is it Wednesday already?!?!?! This has been a week.

Monday--ran
Tuesday--master's 3000 yds
Wednesday--ran

Realized yesterday I have been on my bike precisely one time since my 140.6...for my Oly. Not too bad, except I have a century ride on Sunday. Oops! To be honest, I doubt I'll actually end up doing the full 100. I'm signed up with a friend who keeps hinting that she isn't trained and we should just stop at one of the bars on the route and blah...blah...blah. I'm not fussed. This week has turned into a poopshow and I don't really want to do the ride anyway.

Yesterday the campus police called me and told me students are planning to have a "field trip" to my research facility tonight at 9pm. For anyone who doesn't know, I direct a human decomposition research facility (more commonly known as a "body farm" to everyone outside the discipline). What could possibly go wrong with a bunch of students trespassing on a research facility that deals with decomposing dead people?!?!?!?! So, I get to spend my evening sitting in a field with dead people waiting for a mob of students to arrive so I can tell them all they are going to be arrested and are now entered into the judicial review process for violating the student code of conduct. Sound fun? Yeah, it is not going to be fun.

Also...one of my forensic clients called yesterday and let me know there would be a hearing in his case the first week of October that I need to be at...in LA. Anyone clock the fact that the first week of October is next week?!?! The hearing is on Monday. I have to be in LA on Monday. I'm leaving for Egypt for 9 months in 15 days and I have to be in LA on Monday.

Thanks for letting me whine...

2022-09-28 7:21 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Well, 3 days after my comeback to training, I find myself in bed with some kind of bug. Managed a long ride and a short swim at the weekend though.

Oh no! I hope it isn't too bad...rest up and don't push yourself back into anything too soon.
2022-09-28 7:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Hi, all.  Three days post race and first day not hobbling around. 

Tiny wins!

Fun fact: My leg was more sore for longer after getting my tattoo to celebrate my 140.6 than it was after my 140.6! After the race I could walk without pain on Tuesday 36 hour after the race. After my tattoo it was three days before my leg stopped hurting. :D

Edited by drfoodlove 2022-09-28 7:23 AM
2022-09-28 9:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Monday--ran
Wednesday--ran

Realized yesterday I have been on my bike precisely one time since my 140.6...for my Oly. Not too bad, except I have a century ride on Sunday. Oops! To be honest, I doubt I'll actually end up doing the full 100. I'm signed up with a friend who keeps hinting that she isn't trained and we should just stop at one of the bars on the route and blah...blah...blah. I'm not fussed. This week has turned into a poopshow and I don't really want to do the ride anyway.

Yesterday the campus police called me and told me students are planning to have a "field trip" to my research facility tonight at 9pm. For anyone who doesn't know, I direct a human decomposition research facility (more commonly known as a "body farm" to everyone outside the discipline). What could possibly go wrong with a bunch of students trespassing on a research facility that deals with decomposing dead people?!?!?!?! So, I get to spend my evening sitting in a field with dead people waiting for a mob of students to arrive so I can tell them all they are going to be arrested and are now entered into the judicial review process for violating the student code of conduct. Sound fun? Yeah, it is not going to be fun.

Also...one of my forensic clients called yesterday and let me know there would be a hearing in his case the first week of October that I need to be at...in LA. Anyone clock the fact that the first week of October is next week?!?! The hearing is on Monday. I have to be in LA on Monday. I'm leaving for Egypt for 9 months in 15 days and I have to be in LA on Monday.

You don’t need that, 2 weeks before you leave!

And they expect you to stop a bunch of drunk (I assume they will be, don’t know why) students all by yourself? WTF?
2022-09-28 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Oh no! I hope it isn't too bad...rest up and don't push yourself back into anything too soon.

No, I will take it very easy. Don’t want to do like last winter when I was sick on and off (mostly on) for 6 weeks!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-09-28 9:59 AM
2022-09-28 10:15 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Monday--ran
Wednesday--ran

You don’t need that, 2 weeks before you leave!

And they expect you to stop a bunch of drunk (I assume they will be, don’t know why) students all by yourself? WTF?

1) SO COOL you have a body farm. I've heard of these and am pretty sure I want to donate my body to one when I die.
2) That sounds like maybe not a place you want to be in at night. Hope you caught them (or better off, they just got smart and decided not to do it...?) early and were able to get some rest.
3) They had to have known about that hearing before yesterday?!

2022-09-28 10:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've had a pretty lazy week. I guess you could consider it a taper, though mostly it's just that I haven't had time to do much (also my watch told me after my 12 mile bike and 8 mile run I needed 66 hours to recover...)

I've gone on some walks, and hope to do a little yoga today, then will do a short bike and/or run tomorrow and Friday. Packet pickup is Friday afternoon. I discussed diet with my nutritionist for Friday and Saturday so am honed in on that a bit, though I still need to figure out what I'm making for my pre-race dinner. She was funny, she said her advice for this is the opposite of normal. No vegetables, no fiber, avoid fats the morning of the race.
2022-09-29 10:09 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I've had a pretty lazy week. I guess you could consider it a taper, though mostly it's just that I haven't had time to do much (also my watch told me after my 12 mile bike and 8 mile run I needed 66 hours to recover...)

Yes, let’s call it taper. And good for you for listening to your watch.

Mine said 67 hours after my slow 10k on Saturday which I totally ignored by riding 100minutes and swimming 15min in the (getting colder) lake on Sunday, followed by a ride to work (on my new E-bike, doesn’t count as training but it’ fun) on Monday. Then on Tuesday, I found myself in bed with a fever.(which I still have). Maybe if I listened, I would have been fitter to fight this bug (it’s the C-bug, my husband insisted I did a test). Or not. We’ll never know

I've gone on some walks, and hope to do a little yoga today, then will do a short bike and/or run tomorrow and Friday. Packet pickup is Friday afternoon. I discussed diet with my nutritionist for Friday and Saturday so am honed in on that a bit, though I still need to figure out what I'm making for my pre-race dinner. She was funny, she said her advice for this is the opposite of normal. No vegetables, no fiber, avoid fats the morning of the race.

I get the no fiber bit but why no fat on race morning?

2022-09-29 2:05 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The week still drags on, but happy to report no incident at my research facility last night--I just spent four hours sitting in a field of dead people in the cold and dark for no reason. Just a day in the life...

Swim this morning with masters, although I really, really didn't want to get up since I was out until after 11pm last night.
2022-09-29 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
OK - This bio is taking longer than a Stephen King novel to finish. Hopefully - today is the day! I had the day off (slept til 1) and I'm hoping to get it done before heading out on a ride.

NAME: David/DQ

STORY: Let’s start back in elementary school where I was picked DFL each time we made squads in PE class. That’s right, from grade kindergarten through grade 6 I was the last person chosen every quarter we made new squads because I was the opposite of an athlete. I had no real natural skills, but I did like running on my own and I actually did my first 10 K when I was nine. Sure, I finished last, but how many of those kids in my PE class ran a 10 K that year? Not many. I ran off and on through my 20s and 30s but I was always getting injured because I would push myself too hard and I would get an overuse injury like iliotibial band syndrome or plantar fasciitis. That was until one day my massage therapist who kept Humpty Dumpty working finally said, “ you know you wouldn’t be so injured if you were to take up a sport like triathlon where you wouldn't pound your body as much. So, I dove into triathlon with the same passion and gusto that I dive into everything. Three months later, I did my first race (I finished back of the middle of the pack and how many of those kids from my elementary school could do as well) and fricken loved it. 2012 was the year when it all came together. At the end of 2011, I decided that I needed to get Happy and Healthy - and in so doing I lost 100 pounds. Over the year, I took it from a sprint to an Olympic and then from a Century to a Half Iron (again - I'm willing to bet no one else from my elementary school has done one. That led in 2014 to a full Iron, during which time I raised 25 grand to pay off my mental and emotional debt to my son's rehab hospital (he had a TBI and Guillen- Barre Syndrome). I was proud of both accomplishments but most proud of having trained and completed the IM because I basically showed what an idiot my PE teacher was. I hope he is rotting in hell. But since then, I haven't done much. I ran Boston twice and got that out of my system and am now trying to make a comeback with two goals: the first is to lose enough weight so that I can improve my sleep Apnea. Another 5 lbs and I qualify for a surgery called the Aspire system that basically shocks the tongue and keeps it out of the way, thus improving my symptoms. I also must drop the weight because I'm in my 50s and that's when heart attacks started happening to my brother. My father and both grandfathers died of MI and I have no interest in dying before the Indians and Browns win it all so I need to stay around for as long as humanly possible But exercise and triathlon need to become a part of me on a regular basis not just when I'm fat; I can't get so fat ever again (100+ over is 100 pounds over).

FAMILY STATUS: Divorced 5 years ago - that's part of why I porked up. Have met and am engaged to a wonderful woman named Tam who is not only more compatible but who makes me far happier and that is a beautiful thing. My first wife and I had three wonderful kids I have a college senior, a college junior, and an eighth-grade daughter who has me wrapped around her little finger.

CURRENT TRAINING: Sometimes so fat, my training is pretty simple colon right now I'm trying to get out on the bike every other day and I'm trying to get in two swims per week. It's crazy how these workouts exhaust me but starting over with sleep apnea is no joke and for right now I have my hands full.  once I lose some weight and

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Does sitting on the couch for long periods of time count? I swear I'm an ironman in that too - haha

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm gonna walk a turkey trot if you call that a race

WEIGHTLOSS: My plan here is to lose two and a half pounds of weight a week with the goal of being somewhere around 170 by the time I get married on April 28th, 2023. I want to be healthy to start out the second half of my life but more importantly, I want to look good for those pictures. I know I don't look like the Staypuffed Marshmellow Man right now but God I'd look better if I dropped 80 lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR/MENTEE: I know I have a ton to relearn because in the 5 years since I fell out of the sport, I've forgotten a ton but I really really got into the sport of triathlon when I was into it and I plan on getting back to that in the future. So I can definitely help answer a lot of questions if you've got them.  However, what I really need is the accountability that you provide me. If I say I'm going to do something, that matters to me and while I'm not going to be quick to pull the Coors Light penalty out this time around, I am going to be expecting that you are going to hold me accountable and that I am going to work towards fulfilling what I say I'm going to do. As an example, when I finish this, I'm going to do a few more things and then go for a bike ride. I promise to return tonight and I'll read some of your all's posts, and comment on them but I do promise to get that bike ride in and participate and support you guys. So that's my promise and that's how accountability works for me. Thanks in advance!
2022-09-29 8:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by nicole14e

I get the no fiber bit but why no fat on race morning?

I 2nd that question. Peanut Butter and Jam toast is a regular race morning breakfast for me. No fat = No PB. How come?

2022-09-29 9:00 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nicole Don't listen to your watch... 66 hours recovery? nobody needs that sort of negativity. Good luck for the weekend.

Gretchen Hopefully you are getting on top of your list of things to do before leaving the country for 9 months. Did you sort what you're doing with your bike?

Have a good trip to LA, even if it is poorly timed

Mike How is the hobbling around? hopefully you're not too impacted by the hurricane, it looks pretty unpleasant from what I've seen down here.

Nathalie Sorry you got the spicy flu. Do you guys still have to stay home and isolate for a week? Hopefully you've got a minor case, but be gentle ramping back up, you don't want to accidently turn it into long covid. At least you got past your race season Its just a longer off season now.

Me 3 zwift rides and 2 short easy morning runs so far this week. I'll likely ride again tonight, and have Saturday off before my 'catered training run' on Sunday. The forecast for the race is awful, not Hurricane Ian awful, but we do have a heavy rain warning in force till Monday. Yay. Instead of being slow, it's going to be slow, and wet. (but also warm, and humid) You get more fitness gains training in crappy weather right?
2022-09-29 9:04 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by Qua17

OK - This bio is taking longer than a Stephen King novel to finish. Hopefully - today is the day! I had the day off (slept til 1) and I'm hoping to get it done before heading out on a ride.

NAME: David/DQ

STORY: Let’s start back in elementary school ....

Welcome back with a proper reintroduction DQ.

How has this week gone? Have you been swimming/biking as planned?
2022-09-30 1:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog
Nathalie Sorry you got the spicy flu. Do you guys still have to stay home and isolate for a week? Hopefully you've got a minor case, but be gentle ramping back up, you don't want to accidently turn it into long covid. At least you got past your race season Its just a longer off season now.

Yes, I have just looked it up, it is recommended (everything is a recommendation in this country) to stay at home until you feel well if you have symptoms that could be Covid.

The plan is to take it very easy. No training long after I get well (at least one week, maybe more) and ease into it with slow runs and slow rides every other day for the first 2 weeks.

Well at least the hockey season has started so even if I can't exercice myself, I can watch others who do 2 or 3 times a week.

2022-09-30 1:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

The week still drags on, but happy to report no incident at my research facility last night--I just spent four hours sitting in a field of dead people in the cold and dark for no reason. Just a day in the life...

Swim this morning with masters, although I really, really didn't want to get up since I was out until after 11pm last night.

4 hours sitting in a field of dead people in the cold....

you know how to have a good time, girl!

glad there was no incident
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43