BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-10-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Rollergirl

(as long as it’s not real pain, like a rolled ankle, pushing through an injury is plain stupid IMHO)

Pushing through an injury is stupid. Refusing to acknowledge there is an injury is totally different and perfectly acceptable

Acceptable in your teens and twenties, possibly thirties. Beyond that, it’s just plain stupid. (That’s what I think, do I follow this? That’s another story. Depends on the ”injury”, innit? )

Covid vs Nat, day 8. Still feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, except I don’t hurt anywhere (being hit by a bus would hurt I guess). So not like I’ve been hit by a bus at all. Glad we’ve established that.

Talk to me about exercising, what’s that like?

2022-10-04 3:05 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Covid vs Nat, day 8. Still feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, except I don’t hurt anywhere (being hit by a bus would hurt I guess). So not like I’ve been hit by a bus at all. Glad we’ve established that.

Talk to me about exercising, what’s that like?

8 days and you're still feeling crap? That's unlucky. But the end must be near, you'll be bouncing around again before you know it.

Exercising? This morning I went for a short run, that was fun. Then I stretched and foam rolled, not so fun.
2022-10-04 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl (as long as it’s not real pain, like a rolled ankle, pushing through an injury is plain stupid IMHO)
Pushing through an injury is stupid. Refusing to acknowledge there is an injury is totally different and perfectly acceptable
Acceptable in your teens and twenties, possibly thirties. Beyond that, it’s just plain stupid. (That’s what I think, do I follow this? That’s another story. Depends on the ”injury”, innit? ) Covid vs Nat, day 8. Still feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, except I don’t hurt anywhere (being hit by a bus would hurt I guess). So not like I’ve been hit by a bus at all. Glad we’ve established that. Talk to me about exercising, what’s that like?

Got in a little over 4 miles running on the beach this morning.  Here the sand is hardpack so it's a perfect running surface, albeit a little slow.  

I'm thinking of jumping in the water in my unused-since-May wetsuit and get some salt water on it.  Or I could just have a beer and stare at the water.  Tough decisions...

Sending you healing thoughts, Nat.  Eff Covid. 

2022-10-04 7:43 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl (as long as it’s not real pain, like a rolled ankle, pushing through an injury is plain stupid IMHO)
Acceptable in your teens and twenties, possibly thirties. Beyond that, it’s just plain stupid. (That’s what I think, do I follow this? That’s another story. Depends on the ”injury”, innit? ) Covid vs Nat, day 8. Still feel like I’ve been hit by a bus, except I don’t hurt anywhere (being hit by a bus would hurt I guess). So not like I’ve been hit by a bus at all. Glad we’ve established that. Talk to me about exercising, what’s that like?

Got in a little over 4 miles running on the beach this morning.  Here the sand is hardpack so it's a perfect running surface, albeit a little slow.  

I'm thinking of jumping in the water in my unused-since-May wetsuit and get some salt water on it.  Or I could just have a beer and stare at the water.  Tough decisions...

Sending you healing thoughts, Nat.  Eff Covid. 

Why not both?

(Why-Not-Both.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Why-Not-Both.jpg (57KB - 5 downloads)
2022-10-05 1:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I'M THINKING OF JUMPING IN THE WATER IN MY UNUSED-SINCE-MAY WETSUIT AND GET SOME SALT WATER ON IT. OR I COULD JUST HAVE A BEER AND STARE AT THE WATER. TOUGH DECISIONS.

I’ll second Andrew here: first you jump in the water and enjoy a nice salt swim, then you enjoy a nice cold beer while staring at the water.
2022-10-05 1:52 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

8 days and you're still feeling crap? That's unlucky. But the end must be near, you'll be bouncing around again before you know it.

Yes, it’s starting to get to me now. No energy at all and a major case of brain fog. Felt like it started to lift last night so maybe there’s hope.

Tbc

2022-10-05 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Yes, it’s starting to get to me now. No energy at all and a major case of brain fog. Felt like it started to lift last night so maybe there’s hope.

Tbc

For what it's worth, my covid experience was the flu like symptoms, fever, cough etc. were quite mild and over in 24-48 hours or so. But the fatuige/lack of energy stayed around for a long time, 2-3 weeks if I remember right. So you're not alone. It does pass, but Mrs Bullfrog and I were so tired, in the weeks after our isolation ended.
2022-10-06 6:38 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Tbc

For what it's worth, my covid experience was the flu like symptoms, fever, cough etc. were quite mild and over in 24-48 hours or so. But the fatuige/lack of energy stayed around for a long time, 2-3 weeks if I remember right. So you're not alone. It does pass, but Mrs Bullfrog and I were so tired, in the weeks after our isolation ended.

Nathalie--Covid sucks! I'm sorry you've having this version. I was more like Andrew--cruddy for a couple of days, but the fatigue did last a while.
2022-10-06 6:52 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike--I vote for beer while in the ocean--get ya an tube or a floaty of some type and try not to get eaten by a curious shark!

I swear someone has supercharged the clock over the last few days...time is just FLYING. It probably has something to do with the completely packed days from waking up to collapse...with the odd few hours in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. Stress is awesome! I leave for Egypt one week from today. I'm starting to feel like I have a good handle on what still needs to be done and I have (I think) finally purchased everything I need to take with me, but this is going to be a squeaker of a trip.

This week so far...
Monday--swim
Tuesday--hour interval run
Wednesday--swim and TLC on the bike to get it ready to take to Egypt (i.e., Trixie got a bath)
Thursday--woke up with some sort of stomach something or other that made the planned morning run inadvisable. Probably won't be able to fit it in later today either (assuming I feel better soon), as my MIL is coming for the evening. We told her to arrive around 4:30, when my wife gets off work (wfh), but last night she texted that she planned to get her around 2. Given that it is a 4 hour drive and it is currently 7am, I'm thinking she is probably all ready on her way. I don't quite understand why she has so little respect for us, but she does this all the time. I find it really aggravating (as does my wife) and I just don't understand. I get she loves her daughter and is excited to see her, but I know the same things are true of my mother and she doesn't show up several hours before we tell her is a good time for us.

2022-10-06 7:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
duplicate

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-06 7:46 AM
2022-10-06 7:44 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Mike--I vote for beer while in the ocean--get ya an tube or a floaty of some type and try not to get eaten by a curious shark!

I swear someone has supercharged the clock over the last few days...time is just FLYING. It probably has something to do with the completely packed days from waking up to collapse...with the odd few hours in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. Stress is awesome! I leave for Egypt one week from today. I'm starting to feel like I have a good handle on what still needs to be done and I have (I think) finally purchased everything I need to take with me, but this is going to be a squeaker of a trip.

This week so far...
Monday--swim
Tuesday--hour interval run
Wednesday--swim and TLC on the bike to get it ready to take to Egypt (i.e., Trixie got a bath)
Thursday--woke up with some sort of stomach something or other that made the planned morning run inadvisable. Probably won't be able to fit it in later today either (assuming I feel better soon), as my MIL is coming for the evening. We told her to arrive around 4:30, when my wife gets off work (wfh), but last night she texted that she planned to get her around 2. Given that it is a 4 hour drive and it is currently 7am, I'm thinking she is probably all ready on her way. I don't quite understand why she has so little respect for us, but she does this all the time. I find it really aggravating (as does my wife) and I just don't understand. I get she loves her daughter and is excited to see her, but I know the same things are true of my mother and she doesn't show up several hours before we tell her is a good time for us.

Glad to hear you seem to have things under some sort of control for your trip.

Hope your stomach something is nothing.

Annoying when MILs (or anyone) do not respect your boundaries. I must say mine, is not like that, which I am grateful for in a way but I feel that my husband and son do not see her enough as she is not "pushy" at all and she won't be around forever (80+)

Covid vs Nat Day 10: looks like I have a little more energy and focus today. If it doesn't get worse again, I can live with that for a couple of weeks if it's what it takes before I am 100% well again.

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-06 7:46 AM

2022-10-07 10:48 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
If anyone had the 1:30pm time slot on the MIL arrival--you win the prize! Yes, she showed up three hours before we told her we were available. I was in the middle of packing my bike (which involved taking it apart entirely) and I just told her she had to go to the hotel and come back at 4:30--I was blunt and firm. She left, but then came back at 3:45. I really just don't understand.

Swim this morning--2650m in the long course setup. I really hate long course. Stomach still feeling a little off, but not so much that I couldn't enjoy some beers last night at dinner. Buckwater Brewery stout--eh...a bit watery, but it had some proof to it, which was needed.
2022-10-08 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Happy Saturday, BDADers - I hope you are well and enjoying a nice fall Saturday. Up here in Mass, it’s a crisp fall day with temps on the low 60’s with low humidity and not a cloud in the sky. My new family and I are up to an orchard to grab some apples, pumpkins, and cider that I will quickly ferment, put into a keg and enjoy in the coming weeks.

Hey - I wanted to let you all know that I had hit my first weight loss number - 247. Now I can call my sleep doc and get on the list to get the electrode put into my next to zap my tongue with a shock to keep it from blocking my airway. I hoping this is a game changer and that it makes me feel better like the doctors say it should. We shall see.

I also picked up my roadie at the lbs yesterday. I had a new drive train put in and the new rear cassette should make it easier to get my fat but up those hills in the future. I also got new tires, the new Garmin Varia system that is a rear view radar for your bike - I’ll post some pics when I get it working, and a supreme tuneup. Billy Baroo has never looked better. I’ll attach a pic so you can drool a bit. Hell, I drooled all the way home I was so ex it’s to ride him.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

DQ

Attachments
----------------
46EF4626-73E8-4E73-B3C5-15734536DEE4.jpeg (3598KB - 11 downloads)
2022-10-08 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

If anyone had the 1:30pm time slot on the MIL arrival--you win the prize! Yes, she showed up three hours before we told her we were available. I was in the middle of packing my bike (which involved taking it apart entirely) and I just told her she had to go to the hotel and come back at 4:30--I was blunt and firm. She left, but then came back at 3:45. I really just don't understand.

Swim this morning--2650m in the long course setup. I really hate long course. Stomach still feeling a little off, but not so much that I couldn't enjoy some beers last night at dinner. Buckwater Brewery stout--eh...a bit watery, but it had some proof to it, which was needed.

In-laws can be the death of you. I so feel for you Gretchen. Relationships are about respect and your MIL showing up whenever she wants to is such a bad move. I promise never to do that to my step-kids and my own kids. I hope she isn’t staying too long. Clearly, it’s time for a long ride and an ultra distance run. Even if you bonk and end up at the bottom of someone well ala silence of the lambs, you might still be better off then being stuck with your MIL. Haha

Good luck. Time to go buy a case of your favorite brew, sounds like you’re gonna need it.
2022-10-08 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Rollergirl Covid vs Nat Day 10: looks like I have a little more energy and focus today. If it doesn't get worse again, I can live with that for a couple of weeks if it's what it takes before I am 100% well again.

Feel better soon. I had Covid a few months back and this strain is still no joke. What are your symptoms? I hope you have plenty of time on the couch scheduled this weekend to recharge those batteries. Oh and beer. Don’t forget beer. That’ll help too! ?? Seriously, it’s good
to be in touch again and I sure do hope you get to feeling better soon!

2022-10-08 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Nat -

Feel better soon. I had Covid a few months back and this strain is still no joke. What are your symptoms? I hope you have plenty of time on the couch scheduled this weekend to recharge those batteries. Oh and beer. Don’t forget beer. That’ll help too! ?? Seriously, it’s good

Edited by Qua17 2022-10-08 12:45 PM

2022-10-08 1:20 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by Qua17

Hey - I wanted to let you all know that I had hit my first weight loss number - 247. Now I can call my sleep doc and get on the list to get the electrode put into my next to zap my tongue with a shock to keep it from blocking my airway. I hoping this is a game changer and that it makes me feel better like the doctors say it should. We shall see.

DQ

Great news! When that’s done you’ll sleep better, you’ll have more energy, can train more, lose weight, get more energy, train more, etc
2022-10-08 1:44 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Nat -

Thanks. Fatigue mostly, brain fog, still a bit of a cough and a sore throat but nothing major.
Went for a longer walk today (20 minutes) and tried to run in an attempt to clear my head from that fog (why not). It didn’t clear anything but didn’t make it worse either

Yes, lots of time in the couch. Was supposed to go to a concert/dinner tonight but staying in and watched hockey instead (my team won)

The only beer I drink is non alcoholic but it’s quite ok, actually, much better than it used to be.

Have a great weekend Bdassers!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-08 1:45 PM
2022-10-09 7:50 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
DQ Congratulations on hitting your first weight goal. That's great news. How long do you expect to have to wait until you can get your sleep apnea implant?

Gretchen I feel your in-law pain. Not much we can do except listen to you vent. But that's particularly annoying showing up early is one thing, but leaving and showing up early a 2nd time in the same day is a special kind of annoying.

I agree about preferring the 25m pool to the 50m... But I prefer OWS to any laps, so that doesn't make any sense. Nice effort getting a good swim in with all you've got going on at the moment.

Nat Good that you're on the mend, starting with some walking is the smart thing to do... even if we'd rather go for a jog. crossing my fingers that the fatuige wears off ASAP and you can get back to normal.
2022-10-09 7:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I'm pretty happy with my week.

Swim = 0. I was planning my glorious return to the pool this week. I really like to swim in the days after a half marathon, I just feel it stretches me out and helps undo all that pounding. Unfortunately, it is week 1 of the school holidays, up to 60 minutes delay just to get in the door... No thank you. Week of the 17th is now penciled in.
Bike = 4 zwift rides, 3hr 15 minutes. And got them all done midweek as planned for a change. Happy with that.
Run = 3 runs, 2hr 15 minutes. Usual story, trouble getting out of bed. Wanted 2 more short/easy midweek runs. But I give myself a pass mark.

5 and a half hours for the week. If we ignore weeks when I ran/walked a 3 hour half marathon that's the biggest training week since January. Trending in the right direction.

Negative for the week. Dodgy rolled ankle was ok running, but quite sore after mowing the lawns (I think all the changes in direction/bumpy grass rather than pavement) Going to continue with easy paced running, but something to keep an eye on.
2022-10-10 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, everyone.  Tired morning here in Baltimore with the late Ravens game last night.  A win at least.

@DQ:  nice job with your discipline and hitting your goal; really hope the implant grants you some relief (and sleep! - OMG I'm a train wreck without enough sleep I can't imagine that level of exhaustion); like Nathalie said it'll become a better cycle for you

@Andrew:  nice consistency and yeah no way I'm commuting an hour to swim; my pools are about 15 minutes away and I hate even that

@Gretchen:  ugh - don't know what to even say about in-laws (or even parents); my late mom and FIL were notorious about showing up early and it was always like "what are we supposed to do with them while we run around getting the house ready?"  My MIL used to show up at our house (this was years ago) unannounced and pull weeds.  I'm sure my wife and I will be horrible grandparents like, too, but I'm hoping we're good at the respect part of it.  Glad you figured out a bike solution (albeit sounds a little complicated!)

@Nathalie:  keep taking it easy like Andrew said and don't overdo it the second you feel a little better (not that any of us would so such a thing...)

@Nicole:  did you wind up doing any more races?  Sucks yours was cancelled - that race is cursed weather-wise

After two weeks of being away (some work, some PTO) we're back home and I start up an eight-week off-season strength and flexibility plan.  I went to Bikram for the first time in months yesterday to prep for it - that was ugly LOL.  I haven't swam anything meaningful since my race so back in the water this week as well.  @Nicole I'll be heading back to Masters probably next week.

Hope everyone has a great week and healing thoughts to Nat and Andrew (and DQ as well sorta ).

2022-10-10 11:04 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi all! I've been a bit off the grid since my race was cancelled. Still super bummed, and have buried myself in work, so not much working out right now. I'm finishing up my PZ challenge today with an FTP test, so we'll see how that goes. Like Mike, I think I'm going to try to focus on strength and flexibility for a little while, and get back into the pool more. Will probably still run some, but definitely lost all motivation with no race.

Mike, to answer your question, no I did not find another race. My weekends are all pretty packed so I didn't really have time to travel to one. But I also know that the programs I was following for this race are going to be incredible prep programs for my races next year, so I'll be back and stronger than ever in 2023

Work is continuing to kill me slowly. I've had a lot of people resign recently, so really cannot keep my head above water. Focusing on getting out of my rut this week, so appreciate you all still being so active on here!
2022-10-10 11:08 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike - congrats to your daughter for placing! Glad she made it through a rough race. Welcome back to MD, and I'll see you at Masters soon! Go Ravens!

Nat - glad you are on the mend! I'm sorry it had you down for so long, but thrilled you think you will be able to get moving again soon.

DQ - Congrats on the weight loss and being able to get that device! I can't wait for updates!

Andrew - you gotta start the season somewhere! Way to finish the race, and now you have a baseline for the rest of the season!

Gretchen - You leave so soon! I'm sure you're so overwhelmed, especially with the MIL not respecting boundaries, but at least you have everything you need and are still able to get training in! Keep crushing it!

Jenn - Where you at?! Come back to us!
2022-10-10 4:31 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DQ--congrats on hitting the first milestone! I hope the implant helps with sleeping. Like Mike, I think I'd be a zombie if I was dealing with the kind of sleep disruption you are!! I need my solid sleep to function like a human (or, as much like a human as I can manage on a daily basis!).

Nicole--I totally understand your frustration at the race cancellation. I've had that letdown in the past and it is really hard to get over. I ran a self-supported version of the race to get over it...although that might not be practical for everyone.

Mike--swim!!!! Vacation sounded awesome!

Andrew--slow and steady back into it! Don't push too hard too fast, you don't want to get injured (or sick..again!). I have to say the start of summer holidays around here drives me from the pool too! Also...OWS any day of the week over pool, but in the pool 25yd>50m. I have no idea why, because it makes no sense!

Nathalie--good to hear you are at least marginally better! Same as with Andrew...slow and steady back into it! (says the woman who ran 6.2 miles the day after being released from quarantine from covid!)

Went to the pool this morning to find that they had closed half the pool due to a broken light cover on the short end of the pool. I don't quite understand why they needed to close 8 lanes of the pool because there was a broken light cover in lane 1, but they did. Of course, during the 6-7:30 time slot, the varsity university team and the masters team practices and the life guards are just along for the ride--we opened three extra lanes in the closed sections so we could have some space. I ended up in the slow group today with the 80yo who couldn't feel her shoulders or upper chest today. It was kinda a stroke-watch situation, which I was fine with. I was tired today--too many beers yesterday and up too late watching football. :D
2022-10-11 12:16 PM

User image

Expert

Nat -

staying in and watched hockey instead (my team won)

The only beer I drink is non alcoholic but it’s quite ok, actually, much better than it used to be.

Have a great weekend Bdassers!

What kind of hockey are you watching South Africa? Didn’t know hockey was big down there.

What non-alc beer are you drinking? I would agree that gotten a lot better - I just haven’t found one I really like. Do you have any suggestions?

Feel better!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43