BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-10-22 12:48 AM
in reply to: #5283246

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
I decided to take a rest day today. My quads are still sore from…something, so I shifted my ride to tomorrow and will have a break today.

2022-10-22 10:20 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I decided to take a rest day today. My quads are still sore from…something, so I shifted my ride to tomorrow and will have a break today.

Changed my mind about noon when work wasn't going well. Ended up doing just over an hour of Z3/Z1 intervals. Fun times...well, at least spinning actual wheels on the trainer is productive, unlike spinning my wheels at work.
2022-10-23 4:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2350m at the pool today, which felt pretty good. There were several people in there I had to dodge a bit, but nothing terrible. You can tell when a little kid gets in the pool. It instantly begins to taste like the sunscreen that was slathered on them right before they jumped in the pool. Too bad folks don't know that it washes off if you don't let it absorb before you get in the water!

There was a thermometer in there today...pool water was 88F (31C)--not as warm as Friday, but still not super comfortable for lap swimming.

Fun times after the pool--there were two (male) painters in the locker room, one by the showers and one in the changing room (there is a special private changing room--Egypt is an exceptionally modest country). I ran into them on my way to the showers and thought they would leave--they didn't. One of them was standing right outside the showers when I got out (fortunately, wrapped in a towel). The other was in the changing room. I asked the one in the changing room to leave and he did, but then the other one popped his head into the room to tell him to leave too without knocking! For a country where I can't even wear shorts for fear of offending their sense of modesty, there wasn't a whole lot of regard for the fact that I was a nearly naked woman standing in a private space with two men unrelated to me. It is wild the difference between what they say happens and what actually happens.
2022-10-24 8:07 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Morning 40' bike, followed by an afternoon 30' run and strength training at the gym. All were okay...just okay. But they are done and my best friend has arrived in Egypt, so now I get to have some fun!!

Where's everyone at these last few days? Weekends are for training!
2022-10-24 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm still here just too lazy to post. 

Got in a decent bike ride on Friday, long walk and some strength training on Saturday, and a good Bikram session yesterday, all intertwined with watching three Phillies games, a night Penn State games, and the Ravens.  I'm exhausted but with the Phils in the World Series and the Ravens playing Thursday night this week I'm going to be a mess.

2022-10-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Gretchen - without going down the political/religious rabbit hole (OK maybe a little ...) seems like there is a lot of hypocrisy and selective enforcement of "rules" when it comes to religious-driven law.  SMH

2022-10-24 3:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen That's good news your pool is actually 25m. Nothing wrong with that at all. you can even do without the tether you organized. Not sure about 31C tho... that's getting up there. Good job getting all the workouts in. Maybe strange foreigners don't qualify for modesty standards? We're all infidels anyway. Unfortunately these days I have to disagree about weekends being for training. They used to be, but my deal with Mrs Bullfrog says weekends are for family. Weekday mornings and evenings are for training. (unless the kids spend a night at their grandparents of course )

Mike So frustrating with the closed pools. You did the hard part and got up and went to the pool with no pay off. I know it pisses me off if I try and go for a swim during my lunch break and they're at capacity and I can't get in. Nice job on the yoga and riding otherwise.

Jenn I haven't been on an outside ride since my 70.3 in January. I feel your pain.

For myself, very happy with last week. Got my last ride and 2 runs as planned. So ended up with

S:1, 15 minutes
B:4, 3hr 30 minutes
R:5, 2hr 45 minutes
Total SBR 6 1/2 hours
Strength and mobility:2, 30 minutes.

Unfortunately after my long run on Saturday I had a bit of pain in behind one of my knees. So I've taken a couple of days easy to let myself recover. I'm sure it's just being disagreeable due to me increasing my running miles to rapidly. So not concerned at this stage. Feeling good today so after my ride this evening I'll try a 15 minute brick run and re-evaluate things.

Have a good week eveyrone
2022-10-24 6:21 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Originally posted by nicole14e

I had a pretty lazy weekend overall. Played some football. Otherwise avoided working out like the plague for some reason...so unmotivated.

I have been feeling really tight and sore lately, especially in my neck, shoulders, and hamstrings. Did 30 minutes of yoga yesterday, and this morning did a 10 minute climb ride on Peloton, followed by 20 min of yoga. Gonna try to fit in at least 20 minutes of yoga each day this week, even if it's all that I do in the day, to try and start feeling better. I'm leaving Thursday evening for Florida for the weekend to visit some friends, so hoping to get some good weather down there! Though it's been pretty nice here actually.

Nicole, I struggle with tightness and soreness in my neck, shoulders, and arms. I have been seeing an occupational therapist for a few sessions to help work out the issues and she has suggested that instead of doing one longer session of yoga or stretching in a day, to do a bunch of short sessions--like 5 minutes or less. Essentially, she has suggested in every hour, I take 5 minutes to stretch something in rotation (shoulders, neck, arms, then repeat). A lot of what she has suggested is really to stretch out nerves, which get irritated and then cause the muscles to tense and cause soreness/tightness. These are called nerve glides and have helped a lot.

That's a great idea! Maybe I will try setting an alarm every hour or so to remind me and see how that goes. I'm worried it will be disruptive to my productivity, but honestly, at this point, it doesn't really matter! Also something I need when I'm being lazy and just watching TV!

I've read (and often fail to practice myself!) that if you take short breaks every so often, you are actually more productive than if you try to blast through something. A friend of mine uses 25/5, where she works 25 minutes, then takes a 5 minute break. I've actually done this before, with great success. My problems are 1.) actually setting the 25 minute timer; 2.) respecting that I'm supposed to take the break after 25 minutes; and 3.) getting back to work after the break, which I usually spend screwing around on social media (and not doing any sort of stretching or moving or anything). So...it seems my problem is all of it.

Yes! This is my problem, refocusing after getting distracted or taking a break. I read an article that says it takes 23 minutes to refocus after being distracted, and I think that is completely accurate in my case. Unless I am 100% focused on something and not checking my email or my phone, I feel like I am constantly forgetting what I was working on and bopping all around. That's why I like working in the evening hours sometimes, b/c emails aren't constantly rolling in to distract me, and people aren't sending me Teams chats. Of course then I see I'm behind on BDAS...
2022-10-24 6:33 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I'm a bit behind on pretty much everything. I haven't caught up at work. I had a nice weekend in Tallahassee visiting some friends. My weight is up and I'm making crappy eating choices. Got some food tonight though so I should be able to do better tomorrow. Haven't worked out much at all, so am also planning on waking up early and knocking out a ride and some yoga. Or maybe boot camp and some yoga. Who knows. Just need to work out or I'm going to go deeper into this slump.
2022-10-25 7:45 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e I had a pretty lazy weekend overall. Played some football. Otherwise avoided working out like the plague for some reason...so unmotivated. I have been feeling really tight and sore lately, especially in my neck, shoulders, and hamstrings. Did 30 minutes of yoga yesterday, and this morning did a 10 minute climb ride on Peloton, followed by 20 min of yoga. Gonna try to fit in at least 20 minutes of yoga each day this week, even if it's all that I do in the day, to try and start feeling better. I'm leaving Thursday evening for Florida for the weekend to visit some friends, so hoping to get some good weather down there! Though it's been pretty nice here actually.
Nicole, I struggle with tightness and soreness in my neck, shoulders, and arms. I have been seeing an occupational therapist for a few sessions to help work out the issues and she has suggested that instead of doing one longer session of yoga or stretching in a day, to do a bunch of short sessions--like 5 minutes or less. Essentially, she has suggested in every hour, I take 5 minutes to stretch something in rotation (shoulders, neck, arms, then repeat). A lot of what she has suggested is really to stretch out nerves, which get irritated and then cause the muscles to tense and cause soreness/tightness. These are called nerve glides and have helped a lot.
That's a great idea! Maybe I will try setting an alarm every hour or so to remind me and see how that goes. I'm worried it will be disruptive to my productivity, but honestly, at this point, it doesn't really matter! Also something I need when I'm being lazy and just watching TV!
I've read (and often fail to practice myself!) that if you take short breaks every so often, you are actually more productive than if you try to blast through something. A friend of mine uses 25/5, where she works 25 minutes, then takes a 5 minute break. I've actually done this before, with great success. My problems are 1.) actually setting the 25 minute timer; 2.) respecting that I'm supposed to take the break after 25 minutes; and 3.) getting back to work after the break, which I usually spend screwing around on social media (and not doing any sort of stretching or moving or anything). So...it seems my problem is all of it.
Yes! This is my problem, refocusing after getting distracted or taking a break. I read an article that says it takes 23 minutes to refocus after being distracted, and I think that is completely accurate in my case. Unless I am 100% focused on something and not checking my email or my phone, I feel like I am constantly forgetting what I was working on and bopping all around. That's why I like working in the evening hours sometimes, b/c emails aren't constantly rolling in to distract me, and people aren't sending me Teams chats. Of course then I see I'm behind on BDAS...

My productivity is directly related to how long consecutively I work on something.  I can't do some blocks here and there - I need "deep work" sessions to get anything done. 

2022-10-26 2:23 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
One hour interval run on the treadmill today...ugh...I hate the treadmill! The gym opens at 6am and I arrived at 6:10 to find all the machines unplugged (it took way, way too long for me to figure that out!). WTH? I've never, ever, been in a gym where they unplug the machines at night. Very weird, for sure. Not 100% sure if it is a regular thing, or if it relates somehow to the storm we had last night--it was full on, rain, lightening, thunder, and hail. It lasted for about two hours and flooded the streets completely. The gym had some flooding too, as there were towels everywhere on the floor when I arrived. I guess we'll see next time I go in early in the morning!

2022-10-26 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove One hour interval run on the treadmill today...ugh...I hate the treadmill! The gym opens at 6am and I arrived at 6:10 to find all the machines unplugged (it took way, way too long for me to figure that out!). WTH? I've never, ever, been in a gym where they unplug the machines at night. Very weird, for sure. Not 100% sure if it is a regular thing, or if it relates somehow to the storm we had last night--it was full on, rain, lightening, thunder, and hail. It lasted for about two hours and flooded the streets completely. The gym had some flooding too, as there were towels everywhere on the floor when I arrived. I guess we'll see next time I go in early in the morning!

An hour is roughly my tolerance on the treadmill, and to make it that long there has to be some kind of game I'm playing (varying paces, hills, whatever).  It's also tougher to zone out on the treadmill because I'm a klutz and I'll trip at some point.  Curious - what kind of intervals are you doing now?

Yesterday was a 30 minute easy run on the treadmill and legs day at the gym, then today was sprint practice in Zwift and arms day in the pain cave.  The sprinting crushes me in the morning...maybe I should drink some Gatorade or something to get my blood sugar up a little.  I almost redlined my HR on one of the sprints so I got at it pretty good regardless. 

2022-10-26 4:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I have been absolutely shattered so far this week. The fatuige, from training and life has very much caught up with me. I really struggled with Tuesday nights zwift, yes it was a Vo2 workout so it should have been hard, but I was close to bailing on the cool down, the legs just didn't want to know. And on Wednesday, I got a short lunchtime run on the treadmill, but really struggled to even get onto the bike for my evening ride. Going form 1-2 runs a week to 5 runs a week might have been a mistake

Long story short, this is now a bit of a rest week, to try and refresh myself. I'm ditching my long workouts and not going to do anymore 2 a days this week. Should be aiming for around 5 hours, rather than the 7 that was planned.

Re: Treadmills.
I agree, they are boring and they suck. But they are effective. Last weeks long run (1hr 25) was comfortably the longest I've ever done on a treadmill, and it wasn't too bad. I think mainly because I had a game to watch so could zone out to a degree. That's the key for me for long trainer rides too, finding something to watch so I can zone out and pass the time.

Indoor training massively improved my bike, and got me to PB times in the 70.3 and 140.6 distances, so I'm trying to embrace the dreadmill in the hopes that it has a similar effect on my running over the next few months. Even if it's only through the improved frequency it offers me.

2022-10-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew - yeah, jumping to 5x/week from 2x can be a little rough until you adjust.  Smart move to take it easy for a week.  Agree 100% on the trainer - I've had my Kurt Kinetic for over ten years now (my daughter now has it) and it's so awesome to ride on your own bike inside, plus having a treadmill right there is great, too.

2022-10-28 1:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello all! I have been off the grid for a couple of weeks, work has been manic (still is) and not much to report in the SBR departement. Just browsed quickly though the posts and saw that

Gretchen has made it safely to Egypt and was flipping around in a big bath tub until she found the pool
Mike Is watching football and training is rolling
Andrew is doing so well that he needs to rest from doing too well
Nicole is a little behind
Jenn is thinking about skiing and still mixing her Nicoles with her Natalies
Dave is signing up for races right left and center

Did I forget anyone?

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-28 1:22 AM
2022-10-28 5:07 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hello all! I have been off the grid for a couple of weeks, work has been manic (still is) and not much to report in the SBR departement. Just browsed quickly though the posts and saw that

Gretchen has made it safely to Egypt and was flipping around in a big bath tub until she found the pool

Did I forget anyone?

Ha! Short and sweet!

2022-10-28 5:10 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' ride this morning. Not bad...not good...just eh. Yesterday was a good weight session followed by 1850m in the pool, which were great. You win some, you lose some, I guess.

Friday is my day off here, so naturally I'll spend the afternoon working to deal with a bunch of stuff from emails. The beauty of being 7 hours ahead of your normal time zone is that you can get in an entire day of work before most people start bothering you with emails. The ugly side is that they start rolling in right at the end of your day and all through the evening. They can build up then...and especially on Friday, as everyone tries to clear their own docket before the weekend.
2022-10-28 11:46 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

, Vermont
Hahaha, Nathalie, you got me! We used to have another Nicole on here and had dubbed her “new Nicole.” My bad!

Lots of dog walking here as my sleep schedule adjusted. She turned 16 in Sunday and can still hold her own on a mile walk with some running in the first half.
30 min run/walk today on the treadmill here at home. Followed it up with some foam rolling, core and leg work. Starting slow and trying to focus on some strength.
2022-10-29 5:42 AM
in reply to: #5283292

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90’ on the treadmill this morning. Kinda irritated with the gym. I arranged my schedule to run then swim when the pool opened at 9. I did the run and then got all ready to swim. Got stopped on the way to the pool and told it wasn’t opening until 2 today. Ugh…irritates me. No notice. No signs. No call/text (which is a service they say they offer). Just happened that someone stopped me before I jumped into the pool. So…I guess that gets moved to tomorrow, which was supposed to be my test day.
2022-10-30 2:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

90’ on the treadmill this morning. Kinda irritated with the gym. I arranged my schedule to run then swim when the pool opened at 9. I did the run and then got all ready to swim. Got stopped on the way to the pool and told it wasn’t opening until 2 today. Ugh…irritates me. No notice. No signs. No call/text (which is a service they say they offer). Just happened that someone stopped me before I jumped into the pool. So…I guess that gets moved to tomorrow, which was supposed to be my test day.

Annoying to say the least
2022-10-30 3:07 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Did I forget anyone?

Me: 4 weeks of feeling covid crap, followed by 2 weeks of ”recovery”, although pretty intense with work and short trips to Copenhagen (160 miles away) to see 2 brilliant concerts. The second one especially, the Counting Crows baby! Wanted to see them for a long time, I was not disappointed.

Started to run/walk a little bit this week and had my first proper run yesterday (5k), although I did walk up couple of particularly steep hills.

Planning an easy ride this afternoon and a few easy runs and rides next week. Not ready to come back to interval training with my group yet.

Feel like I am starting from scratch again, gained about 3lbs when I was sick and inactive, (adding to the 4 I’ve been failing to lose for a while, it’s staring to add up…)

Have a great Sunday!

2022-10-30 4:01 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Did I forget anyone?

Love the summary. Not sure if i'm 'doing so well' or just 'less bad than usual' haha
2022-10-30 4:03 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Now that is annoying. Just like Mike showing up to a closed pool the other day, nothing more annoying than getting yourself up, out the door and ready to go and have something outside your control cancel your workout. All part of the Egyptian experience I guess.
2022-10-30 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Did I forget anyone?

Me: 4 weeks of feeling covid crap, followed by 2 weeks of ”recovery”, although pretty intense with work and short trips to Copenhagen (160 miles away) to see 2 brilliant concerts. The second one especially, the Counting Crows baby! Wanted to see them for a long time, I was not disappointed.

Started to run/walk a little bit this week and had my first proper run yesterday (5k), although I did walk up couple of particularly steep hills.

Planning an easy ride this afternoon and a few easy runs and rides next week. Not ready to come back to interval training with my group yet.

Feel like I am starting from scratch again, gained about 3lbs when I was sick and inactive, (adding to the 4 I’ve been failing to lose for a while, it’s staring to add up…)

Have a great Sunday!

Glad that you're starting to get back into it. 4 weeks off sucks, but at least its at the start off your offseason. Lot of coaches/training plans would call for several weeks off at the end of your race season so long term it was well timed, and your probably didn't make any real loss. Although you may feel you're starting from 0 you'll be back where you were, or at least close to it in days, not months.
2022-10-30 4:17 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Semi planned rest week successfully completed.

S: x1, 13 minutes... Just getting used to getting wet again really
B: x4, 2 hours... 2 short easy Z2 spins and 1 Vo2max workout that encouraged me to make this a rest week
R: x3, 2 hours... All on the treadmill. IT band still needs attention, but the knee has sorted itself out.

SBR total 4 1/4 hours. Down from about 6 1/2 last week

Also, x5 strength and mobility workouts. 4 stretching/foam roll sessions and 1 body weight circuit. 55 minutes total.

Goals for this week. Back to normal.
1 lunchtime swim, 4 bikes (1 interval session, 1 sweet spot ride and 2 Z2) and 4 runs (2 short/brick, 1 medium, 1 long, all easy)
3 Stretching sessions and 2 bodyweight circuits.

Should be around 7 hours SBR total for the week. plus, maybe an hour of strength and mobility stuff.

Hope everybody had a good weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43