BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-10-31 2:11 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Nathalie--good to hear you are back at it a bit--slowly! Slow is the key now...don't rush too hard.

@Andrew--solid week and good plan for next week

Andrew's comment about "all part of the Egyptian experience" reminded me to tell you all this story. Yesterday I went to the pool to get in Saturday's swim (sacrificing my rest day!!). No big deal, it was open and everything was fine, except I noted my swim suit is starting to break down--they must be chlorinating the heck out of that thing, because that suit is only five months old and I've regularly gotten 9-10 months out of speedos. Anyway...I'm in the pool doing my workout and I get hit with something at the wall, but don't think much of it. The deep/shallow divider is in the pool and sometimes I have to move it a couple of times in my workout because the water jets push it out away from the wall sometimes. Get to the wall and look up to see the janitor plugging in the floor cleaner machine...with the cord draped through the pool!! I honestly thought I was about to get electrocuted--it might be the only cord in all of Egypt that doesn't have exposed wire in it. He plugged it in and I didn't get electrocuted, but holy heck did I move fast and yell alot! That is the true Egyptian experience--absolutely zero sense of self preservation and/or preservation for others health and welfare. There is a general feeling that Allah will take care of the faithful, so they don't need to use caution--it is exceedingly unnerving to not have the same faith in Allah (or anything, for that matter!). So...didn't die. That was my success for Sunday.

Today was a reverse brick, with 30' run on the streets and then a 64' bike, followed almost immediately by strength training. It isn't ideal, but it is what I needed to do today to get everything in. I ran outside for the first time since I fell a couple of weeks ago. I ran on more local streets to my apartment, which were deserted, but the few people out were very curious. Oh well--they'll learn to live with the crazy hawaga (foreigner) who runs for no reason soon enough. The folks in Middle Egypt have done. Bike was intervals--they were tough. I think I lost a little FTP during my break from cycling (mid-August-mid-October).

2022-10-31 7:51 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

Glad that you're starting to get back into it. 4 weeks off sucks, but at least its at the start off your offseason. Lot of coaches/training plans would call for several weeks off at the end of your race season so long term it was well timed, and your probably didn't make any real loss. Although you may feel you're starting from 0 you'll be back where you were, or at least close to it in days, not months.

Thanks, it was 8 weeks actually: 2 planned weeks off at the end of the racing season, 4 weeks of covid and I waited 2 more weeks before I started training again (partly due to lack of time but also to make sure I had shaken off this shite).

Hopefully you are right and I will get back into it quickly

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-10-31 7:53 AM
2022-10-31 7:56 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Andrew's comment about "all part of the Egyptian experience" reminded me to tell you all this story. Yesterday I went to the pool to get in Saturday's swim (sacrificing my rest day!!). No big deal, it was open and everything was fine, except I noted my swim suit is starting to break down--they must be chlorinating the heck out of that thing, because that suit is only five months old and I've regularly gotten 9-10 months out of speedos. Anyway...I'm in the pool doing my workout and I get hit with something at the wall, but don't think much of it. The deep/shallow divider is in the pool and sometimes I have to move it a couple of times in my workout because the water jets push it out away from the wall sometimes. Get to the wall and look up to see the janitor plugging in the floor cleaner machine...with the cord draped through the pool!! I honestly thought I was about to get electrocuted--it might be the only cord in all of Egypt that doesn't have exposed wire in it. He plugged it in and I didn't get electrocuted, but holy heck did I move fast and yell alot! That is the true Egyptian experience--absolutely zero sense of self preservation and/or preservation for others health and welfare. There is a general feeling that Allah will take care of the faithful, so they don't need to use caution--it is exceedingly unnerving to not have the same faith in Allah (or anything, for that matter!). So...didn't die. That was my success for Sunday.

Well done for not dying but wow! Scary!
2022-10-31 9:00 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good morning, all and Happy Halloween from the US. 

@Nathalie:  yeah like Andrew said I think you'll be back to where you were in a couple of weeks and you have plenty of winter left to get it all back and then some.  Glad you finally shook it.

@Andrew:  nice work committing to the strength and flexibility work along with the SBR. 

@Gretchen:  another day, another Egyptian "adventure" LOL 

@Jenn:  good to see you around and back on the treadmill; I know your travel schedule is nuts but I see you getting in done on the road when you can so kudos.  You have any big races planned next year?

@Dave:  we need a check-in, buddy!!

@Nicole:  hope work settles down and you find a groove...you still playing football?

I got in a good week overall and pretty much nailed everything.  Bikram was really chilly in the studio yesterday (like 95 or so, when it's supposed to be 102-104).  I got through it OK but about two hours later my back just locked up on me, which it hasn't done in quite a long time.  It's significantly better today but I have to travel for work this afternoon so hopefully trekking around the airport won't be too bad.  This is a recovery week anyway so I'll take it easy.  My hotel has a small pool (15 yard) so I can swim a little plus they have a decent spin bike.

Hope everyone has a great week - I continue my march into exhaustion with another Phillies World Series game tonight.  And the next night, and the next one.  Playoff baseball games take FOREVER. 

2022-10-31 7:53 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Congratulations on not getting electrocuted during your swim. Something else to add to the swimming checklist,
Swimsuit, check
goggles, check
towel, check
no electrical cables in the pool, damn it.

Re dropping a few watts FTP over your cycling break. When I got back onto the bike after my break, and then extended covid/flu break I guessed and dropped 10W off my FTP, and I think the workouts felt about right. Maybe drop 5-10W yourself until you do a test in a month or so and reset?

Mike You and I have very different thoughts on what qualifies as 'really çhilly' Hope the back clears up quickly. Also baseball is a perfect training opportunity for you. My favorite thing to watch on the trainer is cricket (if there's a game I'm interested in on). In fact my training this week is scheduled around NZ's games in the T20 world cup being played in Australia at the moment. Its the perfect mix of action and breaks in play to zone in and out for a workout. Pretty sure baseball would be the same. World series games = a couple of innings in the trainer. (The rest of the game post workout is for sofa and a beer)

For myself, started the week with an hour on zwift, with 3 x 5 minutes @ 95%FTP. I was definitely struggling towards the end of the intervals, so more work to be done.

Easy 20 minute treadmill run, and an hour on zwift watching NZ v England at the world cup on the menu for tonight.
2022-11-02 11:05 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice long treadmill run this morning--followed by some serious walking around Cairo for about four hours this afternoon. I'm tired...and one of my field techs is arriving at about 1am and staying in my apartment. Imma gonna be tired tomorrow.

2022-11-02 8:09 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Nice job getting a long run done on the treadmill... Not the most fun way to spend an hour or 2. Good for building your run, and mental toughness. Hopefully your new room mate doesn't get too much in the way of your training plans.

Wednesday was my medium duration run, currently that's 40 minutes of easy pace, also on the treadmill. Followed by a stretching and foam rolling session. 30 minutes of sweet spot intervals on the bike followed by 20 minutes on the treadmill tonight.

How's everybody else week going?
2022-11-03 1:42 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good work on the dreadmill runs! I read the discussion you had earlier about these. I avoid them as much as possible, which is 100% of the time (for runs) The only time I step on one of these is to warm up before a strength session at the gym.

So last night I did something I hadn’t done since August! Ran intervals with my group. Although technically not my group as I went with the beginners’  couch to 10k group who are on their 9th week.

We did 2 x7 min, 2x5 and 2x3 ”threshold” (see, I know some techie words too ). Just what I needed!

2022-11-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew and Nathalie—great job getting in those runs!

As for me…kinda a typical Egypt day. Did a strength session and then pool in the morning. Got hit by a bus crossing the street in the afternoon. I’m ok, just a little scraped up and bruised. More freaked out about the fact that I really could have been quite injured, or worse. My two friends and I were crossing the street and then I was on the ground. None of us knows where this bus came from, but near as I can tell it must have run through the traffic cop’s signal and around the cross traffic, because I was walking with the flow of traffic. I don’t know, but fortunately it worse than a really scraped knee and palms and some bruises on my legs. We’ll see how the rest of the training week goes.
2022-11-03 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

OMG Gretchen!!!  

About to jump on a plane back to Baltimore from my work HQ (Hartford, CT).  Got to spend a couple of days with my team working and playing, well probably more playing than anything so a little tired.  I got in a good sprint workout on the hotel spin bike and then another shorter interval one, plus some strength and core work.  Got up early two of the three days we'll call that a win.  ANOTHER Phillies game tonight after I get back home.

2022-11-03 2:30 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
typical day for Gretchen: swim, strength, get hit by a bus, swim (get electrocuted), dinner and bed…

Seriously , glad you’re ok

2022-11-03 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Training is obviously going well, you're now stronger than a bus

Glad you're ok, and it was more a scare than a crash. Yet another reason to embrace the treadmill and trainer. Yay team indoors.

30 minute zwift, 20 minute brick run and a bodyweight routine which took around 10 minutes last night. Followed by a nice sit in the spa.
long ride on zwift tonight watching cricket, and long run Saturday. Actually going to be an outside run for a change. Looking forwards to it.

Have a good weekend guys. And avoid those busses.
2022-11-05 5:28 AM
in reply to: #5283330

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—that’s a great way to look at the situation!

Since getting hit by a bus…
I did a 2 hour ride yesterday and swam 2500yds. Both felt pretty good, although some knee pain with the push offs in the pool. This morning I tried to do an hour run, but the knees said “what you talkin’ bout, Willis! We aren’t ready for this!” Total no go…walked for five as a warmup and then ran for about three minutes before I decided it was not wise. Who knows, maybe if I’d given it a bit more time, I’d have loosened up and been able to run without pain, but it is too early in the training season to risk a bigger injury doing stuff I know is dumb.

In other news, I decided to get a tattoo to celebrate not dying horrifically in a Cairo traffic accident, so I’ll be doing that this afternoon. Works out perfectly, because we head down to our site tomorrow and there won’t be any swimming for six weeks. It will be completely healed by then. Third tat this year…I think I’ve developed a problem. :D
2022-11-06 8:09 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen Wise choice taking a rest rather than destroying your knees. Listening to our bodies and knowing when to pull back a little is something us weekend warrior athletes struggle with. What tattoo did you get to immortalize your brush with a bus?

I finished off my week strong.

S: 0
B: x4, 4 hours all on zwift
R: x4, 2hr 45 3 treadmill and an 85 minute long run on Saturday morning.

Strength and mobility, x2 stretchy sessions and x1 bodyweight session, 1/2 hour total.

And 1 complete day off on Sunday, other than mowing lawns.

Monday began with both midgets waking up early, so my am run is going to become a brick session this evening. I did manage a swim at lunchtime today, so at least I've got 1 of my 1-2 swims a week on the board.

How did everyone else do?
2022-11-07 8:42 AM
in reply to: #5283335

User image

Expert
I’m so frustrated. I just spent 15 minutes writing a post only to have it erased and what makes this such a bummer is that I’m at work so it’s really hard to break the post in the first place. Such is life here is a brief update. I’m sorry for being incommunicado for a couple weeks. I have really been having trouble staying on track with my workouts so I haven’t been as focused as I need to be. After getting down to 247 I’m back up to 249 and that’s not good cause I can’t have my surgery at that weight. so this week, I am going to pre-double my efforts start again because that’s all I can do. I’ve got to lose the weight because I’m starting to feel bad again and that is not what I want. Plus people start dying in their 50s in my family and being 75 pounds overweight is not good.

So to Drop that weight, I’ve signed up for 9 races next year. I start off in March with two 5ks and then I kick off my tri season with a sprint triathlon in May. After doing a couple sprint triathlons, I’ll move on to a couple Olympic races before finishing off with the 10K in September and then a half marathon in November. Now I just have to put in the work to make it happen.

So Ive got to get back to work, but I will check in later and comment on your posts after I get in my bike ride this afternoon. Thanks,

DQ
2022-11-07 6:31 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi DQ,

Sorry to see you're a bit down about your weight/training goals. But, you're only 2lbs up. That is not a lot. You could just about drop under the magic number with a sweaty workout followed by a toilet stop. Haha. My point is don't stress. 1-2 weeks tops, probably a only couple of days of good food and exercise choices you'll be back below 247.

But I do think, if you have to stay below 247 for your surgery, you need to aim 240-242 at least. That way when your weight pops up a bit due to natural variation (hydration levels etc) you're still good for your surgery.

Looks like you have a busy 2023 ahead of you. What're your training plans for this week? And how can we help you get them done?

For myself, Monday was a big day, 4 workouts. Lunchtime swim, evening zwift, followed by a brick run on the treadmill followed by a short stretching session. Unsurprisingly that added up to not getting up for this mornings run, which will now likely also become a brick, and the vicious cycle of late nights and missed morning workouts can continue.

2022-11-08 12:27 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
I agree with Andrew, DQ, 2lbs is nothing and can come and go within hours, so even though you’re over the magic number right now, you will soon drop these and more.

Wow, 9 races next year! That’s quite a program! That will surely motivate you to train.

Nice Monday Andrew, let’s hope the rest of the week is on the same level.

Ran my first 10k since September on Saturday. Slowly. Felt great.

Probably unrelated but I feel sick again today, sore throat and stuff. I pray (even though I don’t pray) it goes over quickly because I am supposed to go spend the weekend with my mum and sibblings and I really don’t want to miss that!

2022-11-08 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, all.  Back from work travel and dealing with the late World Series games (and last night a Ravens game) and the clocks changing. 

@Dave:  what they said...my weight varies as much as five pounds depending on hydration, time of day, etc.  I'm not sure what your "weigh-in" process is but make sure it's consistent.  I do the "roll out of bed onto the scale" thing.  Agreed to shoot for low 240s to prep for your surgery.  And yes that's quite a schedule next year - I'm only at 4 races so I'd better get to work!

@Andrew:  your consistency is really pushing along...we're going to call you Gretchen soon

@Gretchen:  you've had quite a couple of weeks there in the Middle East (OK, well I guess Egypt is technically part of Africa, but whatever); smart move to punt on the run...plenty of time for that coming up

@Nathalie:  oh no you cannot be sick again; just do what my crazy wife does and pretend it doesn't exist LOL (I on the other hand am a big baby when it comes to being sick LOL)

Last week was a recovery week with work travel involved, so pretty limited but got in a couple of decent bike rides and strength/core sessions.  Sprint practice on the bike this morning, back to running again tomorrow after giving my back 10 days or so to go back to its normal occasionally-annoying self.

2022-11-08 11:00 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hope the back is ok now Mike.

People say men are big babies when they’ve got a cold and women carry on. I am a man in this respect then. Cannot handle being sick. I lock myself in the spare bedroom at the first symptoms,(with my computer nowadays so can work through it), don’t want to speak to anyone, feel sorry for myself.

This time I feel VERY sorry for myself because I have plans this weekend. So the plan is to rest as much as possible until Thursday afternoon to give my body a chance to fight this and hope that I am better by the time I leave.

At least I know it’s not Covid so I am not putting anyone’s life at risk by travelling (I will wear a mask on the plane and will avoid physical contact with my family).
2022-11-08 4:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
@Andrew:  your consistency is really pushing along...we're going to call you Gretchen soon

Being compared to the machine is high praise indeed.

All year my goal has been to get into a routine of consistent, sustainable training. The last 6 or 7 weeks I have finally started getting there. Now the trick is to turn that into 6 or 7 months.

Hope that the 10 day rest was enough to get your back back in line.

Nathalie Sorry to hear you got kicked with the flu just after your brush with the 'Rona. Hopefully you avoid the mess I fell into of months of sickness all winter. Rest up and feel better soon.

Easy 45 minute spin, easy 20 minute run off the bike and 15 minute body weight circuit last night. The fact that 15 minutes of pushups/squats etc. was harder than 65 minutes of bike/run says something about where my strength and flexibility is... and it isn't saying anything good. haha. Hopefully with time it'll get better.

Tonight is NZ vs Pakistan in the semi finals of the cricket world cup (not that I expect any of you to know or care about cricket), so a long Z2 zwift ride watching sports on the cards for this evening.
2022-11-09 2:18 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Nathalie Sorry to hear you got kicked with the flu just after your brush with the 'Rona. Hopefully you avoid the mess I fell into of months of sickness all winter. Rest up and feel better soon.

Tonight is NZ vs Pakistan in the semi finals of the cricket world cup (not that I expect any of you to know or care about cricket), so a long Z2 zwift ride watching sports on the cards for this evening.

I did that in January/February this year, I really hope this is not happening again!

You’re right, we (I) don’t care much about cricket . Tried to get into it when I lived in England but no, it lasts too long with too little action. Since moving to Sweden, I only watch ice-hockey, even football (soccer) has become too slow with too little action in comparison.

That said, that’s the kind of sport which is perfect for long Zwift rides (hockey works too mind you but it’s only a couple of hours— enough for my ”long” rides though)

2022-11-10 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well, we lost the cricket. Disappointing.

I did get a nice 90 minute zwift ride done though. Was a very late night, so Thursday was a small day. 45 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes stretching and an hour of 'recovery' (soaking in the spa pool with a beer)

An hour on zwift this evening, probably with a brick run. and a 90 minute long run on the weekend yet to come.

Hope everyone is having a productive week.
2022-11-11 1:12 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well, miracles do happen. After feeling like shite all day Tuesday Wednesday and half Thursday, I suddenly started feeling better yesterday afternoon so my weekend with my mum, brother and sister is saved! We don’t see each other very often, and even less all 4 at the same time, I really didn’t want to miss it!

So no SBR for me this weekend, it will be more like WFW (extra points for correct guesses)

Have a great weekend!

2022-11-11 3:14 AM
in reply to: #5283353

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
WFW = wine, food and more wine?
2022-11-11 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog WFW = wine, food and more wine?

FTW!!!

Have a great time, Nathalie.  Glad you're feeling better (again).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43