BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-11-11 7:22 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Fairly productive week so far for me...two 2-mile-ish runs on the treadmill testing out my back (it's back to its normal semi-annoying self), two rides, two swims and two strength sessions plus another short bout of planks.  Can't shake this sleep hole I'm in - I keep waking up super early.  Hopefully I can force myself to sleep in a little this weekend and get some good workouts in.

@Andrew:  keep rockin'

2022-11-11 4:22 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by bulfrog

WFW = wine, food and more wine?

Close. The first W is for walking, doing the touristy things in Paris.
2022-11-13 11:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog WFW = wine, food and more wine?

FTW!!!

Have a great time, Nathalie.  Glad you're feeling better (again).

Food ?
T?
Wine ?
2022-11-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nathalie Hope you're enjoying your weekend in Paris.

Mike Nice balanced week. And good that your back is behaving itself again.

For myself, Life got in the way Friday night, so my ride/brick was missed. I did get a good run on Saturday morning though, not fast but felt really comfortable for a 90 minute run. Definitely feel like I'm making some gains slowly. Totals for the week,
S: x1, 750m 18 min
B: x3, 3 hours, all Zwift
R, x4, 2 hour 50 min, 3 treadmill, 1 outdoor
total of about 6 hours 10 minutes SBR
Also 2x stretchy sessions, 1x bodyweight circuit for 30 minutes of strength and mobility.

Mrs Bullfrog and I had a planning committee meeting over the weekend. The good news, she's been impressed with my commitment getting workouts in, and thinks I deserve to buy a new bike... And is happy to go back to the Ironman distance if/when I meet some weight goals. (unbelievably, I'm not yet taking up the new bike. The Talon has 1 more summer in her, new bike for next year after I've made some more gains and have earned it)

The less good news, she wants to match my bike budget with a bathroom renovation (always a catch ) and she's not loving the double workout week nights. 60 minute ride, plus a brick run, plus a stretch, plus the time prepping and changing between workouts kind of dominates the evenings. It's hard to argue with that really. So, I'm having a crack of going all in on morning workouts. A 5am start gives an easy 90-120 minutes before kids get up. It's going to be a tough week or 2 getting used to the change. But I'm comitting to at least a couple of weeks of trying. Hopefully by the end of that it'll start being a habit and not suck so much.

Day 1 of the 5am club, on the bike at 5:07am, 60min zwift, 15 min brick run and 10 minute stretchy done. Got Miss almost 2 out of bed part way through the stretching.

Hope every one had a good weekend.
2022-11-14 2:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Impressive Andrew! That’ll dedication! Glad you and Mrs Bullfrog came to an agreement. And yeah! New bathroom!
2022-11-14 6:16 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Originally posted by bulfrog WFW = wine, food and more wine?

FTW!!!

Have a great time, Nathalie.  Glad you're feeling better (again).

Food ? T? Wine ?

FTW  = for the win...basically saying Andrew's comment won the internet that day. 

2022-11-14 6:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nathalie:  hope you had a nice weekend in France. 

@Andrew:  "planning committee meeting" LOL - welcome to the o'dark-thirty club, though I'm more around 5:15-5:30.  The trick is to make sure you get yourself to bed early.  I think it's great you're hanging on to your Talon...it's a oldie but I always liked that model and if it works for you then why mess with it for very marginal gains.

2022-11-15 1:18 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan

@Nathalie:  hope you had a nice weekend in France. 

@Andrew:  "planning committee meeting" LOL - welcome to the o'dark-thirty club, though I'm more around 5:15-5:30.  The trick is to make sure you get yourself to bed early.  I think it's great you're hanging on to your Talon...it's a oldie but I always liked that model and if it works for you then why mess with it for very marginal gains.

Anything before day light is too early for me to get up, to do anything. I’ll soon have no choice if I want to be at work before 9 (I start at 8) but I am not getting up for anything else. That’s it.

”The trick is to make sure you get to be early”
Yeah but if he’s in bed early, he’s not spending time with his wife, so that’s not going to work either.

Had a great time in Paris, great to see my family, we had 2 days of laughing, walking, eating and drinking.

Today is the second day of my ”back into shape” mission. I have dusted off the MFP app and started tracking calories again.

At least one 30 minutes run every day, except the day when I have intervals with my club and my slow social 10k. Have to get the trainer down from the loft and start riding regularly instead of once a week if the weather is nice.

Anyone heard from Gretchen? Lost in Egypt? Nicole? Dave?

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-11-15 2:33 AM
2022-11-15 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So all this talk of illness is apparently contagious and I have caught something.  Achy, chest hurts, a little bit of a sore throat and some light coughing and run down.  Ugh.  Well I've been sick for a total of about 3 days since the pandemic started so I'm probably due.  Slept like 10 hours fitfully last night.  Daughter is sick too so I'm blaming her. 

Nothing so far this week after a decent week last week. 

2022-11-15 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
3 days of the 5am club done and dusted. Definitely not a habit yet, but sticking too it. 80 minutes on Zwift Tuesday morning and a 60 minute run with the doggo this morning.

Re: Possible new bikes, although the talon is still useable there is definitely a new bike in the mid term future. For one my wheels are very sad and according to my bike mechanic, 'letting me down and in need of replacement', but I don't want to invest in a new set of 10 speed rim break wheels when it's almost certain any new bike would be 11 speed and disk breaks. Unfortunately right now, I'm too fat and unfit to justify (in my own head) spending the sort of money you need to for an upgrade. In Kiwi Pesos I'm looking at $5k+ for a new bike. I don't want to be the fat guy putting in a 3:15-3:30 bike split on a $5k rig. But, the bike is 10 years old next year, she's done 4 70.3s and 2 140.6's... All going to plan this is our last season together.

Re: Morning workouts and early to bed. You're both right. Late nights (or hard evening workout) = no chance of getting up for a run. But in bed super early = no Mr&Mrs Bullfrog together time, which is kind of the point of switching from evening to mornings. Like everything it's about finding the right balance I guess. One thing though, although I'm naturally more of a night owl, when I do get up early for a workout I've never regretted it. There is something nice about having it done before breakfast.

We have the sickness here too. Mr 5 woke up by vomiting everywhere, and followed that up with 3 or 4 more between me finishing my run and leaving for work. Very bad timing, today was his first cross country run at school. He was so excited, last night when I got home he wanted to go 'practice for his big race' There will be others of course, but disappointing all round.

Nathalie, I like the plan. good luck with getting that consistency going

Mike, It's always the children's fault. Always. Hope you're feeling better soon.

DQ, Gretchen, Jenn, Nicole Where are you?
2022-11-15 3:10 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear you’re sick Mike, hope it goes away quickly.

Shame about Mr 5 missing the big race. There will be others of course, as you say.

Hope you don’t get what he got….although, that’s one way to lose a few pounds!

2022-11-16 8:48 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone! Wooooo am I behind. I just got caught up on the 53 messages I apparently missed. Gonna do a Nathalie summary:

Nathalie - sickly, but got over it just in the nick of time. Paris sounded amazing!
Andrew - crushing your goals, and recognizing when your body needs a break. Keep it up! Sorry to hear your little one is sick though.
Mike - some travel, some consistency, a little sickness. Hope you feel better soon and get back to it!
DQ - Stay with us! Accountability is gonna be key. Nine races next year! That's going to be incredible.
Jenn - Hope to see you back here soon!
Gretchen - stronger than a bus!!! And avoided death by electrocution! Glad to hear you were not hurt worse, and that you're fitting in your workouts pretty well in Egypt! I'm sure it's trickier when you're in the field, but hope you're still getting them done!
2022-11-16 8:52 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I can't remember the last time I posted. Or where I was at in my life. Here's a quick summary:

Went into a bit of a rut after my race was cancelled. Didn't do much for about a month. Travelled to Florida, NJ, and got back from Puerto Rico Monday at 2am.

PR - Amazing trip for my friend's bachelorette party, though I am exhausted and was also, like most of you, a bit sick when I got home. I think it was my body telling me to sleep. And stop drinking, haha, though I really didn't drink too much and tried to get to bed at relatively decent times.

I just started a new PZ challenge for Peloton, so am getting back into a biking routing. Want to get to masters more as well, probably starting after Thanksgiving.

Work is still crazy, but I officially accepted an offer Monday to be the Division Administrator for my current division. So a nice little promotion, and eventually will be doing more strategy rather than being in the weeds as I have been. Pretty excited!

I want to get back into a running plan, but hate the cold, so might buy a treadmill. Either that or just suck it up, it's not even THAT cold here yet. Thought after a long weekend in Puerto Rico it's definitely not ideal.
2022-11-16 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good to hear from you, Nicole.  Congratulations on your promotion!  I know your job has been frustrating you for a while so hopefully that will get better.  And it IS cold here.  If it's below 50 I'm cold. 

@Andrew:  I went through that decision process about rim and disc brakes and eventually wound up with a rim brake 11-speed tri frame which was the same my road bike so I could swap out wheels.  You're probably wise in your decision as there aren't a lot of rim brake bikes out there anymore.

2022-11-17 9:09 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Still coughing, can't talk, throat is killing me.  So, I did my first video MD consult and it was totally painless and saved me a couple of hours of going to urgent care or my primary doctor (who is a half hour each way).  I'm prone to these chest/throat things though it has been about 4 years because of the COVID isolation.  I hope to be on the mend and back at it by the weekend.

Hope everyone is having a good week.

2022-11-17 7:07 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Mike Hope that your dodgy chest is feeling better soon. Sounds like you have it under control, but rest up and make sure you're right before stepping back into things.

Nicole Congratulations on the promotion. And good luck getting the running/cycling plans back on track.

My 5am club workouts lasted 4 days. Each morning was 60-80 minutes of bike/run, for 3 bikes, 3 runs and 2 stretchy sessions. But by Thursday evening it had caught up on me, so this morning I had a bit of a sleep in till 630ish, swam at lunch and will ride for an hour tonight. Early morning run Saturday and Sunday off.

Next week I'll be aiming for a full 5 days of 5am.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2022-11-20 2:11 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Congrats on your promotion Nicole!
Sorry you’re still sick Mike
Solid week Andrew!

Me: back on track, ish

No swims
2 rides: one short mtb yesterday and a longer zwift today.
6 runs: 5 x 30 minutes easy + hills with my club

Tracking calories again. Was in deficit Monday- Thursday, not so successful this weekend.

Here’s to a new weeks!

2022-11-20 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Biggest/Best week for me since January.

S: x2, 1,250m, 32 min in the pool
B: x4, All zwift, 3hr 35 min
R: x5, 1 Treadmill the rest outside, 3hr 20 min

Total of about 7.5 hours of SBR. All at dark o'clock with the exception of lunchtime swims and 1 short easy zwift Friday evening.

Strength and mobility was a bit less this week. 2 stretchy sessions, no bodyweight stuff. 20 minutes total.

In breaking news, Consistency works! (shocking I know) I've had 2 wins this week,

First up, my long run the week after HM#1 of the summer was 10km in 1:28:45. Ending feeling pretty gassed. Saturdays long run was the same course, 11km 1:28:35 Feeling fresh and like I can keep going at that pace for a lot longer. 1km faster in about 6 weeks of consistency. Who knew that if you ran more frequently, and more miles total you would make improvments...

Second, This mornings weigh in is 21lbs down from my high point on September 5. I'm still very over weight and have a long way to go, but I'm now only a couple of lbs away from where I was at my last 70.3, and have averaged about 1.9lbs lost over the last 11 weeks. Again, unexpectedly consistency works.

I think I should write a training manual having discovered this consistency revelation. No one else would have come across it before. Haha.
2022-11-20 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Solid week Andrew!

No swims

Tracking calories again. Was in deficit Monday- Thursday, not so successful this weekend.

Here’s to a new weeks!

Nice week, especially the running program. Just as planned. Looks pretty back on track to me.

I'm also working on calorie tracking for my weight loss. I track most things on MFP Monday - Friday. Weekends are a bit more carefree. It is working for now though.
2022-11-21 2:22 AM
in reply to: 0

Edited by Skincode 2022-11-21 2:23 AM
2022-11-21 3:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Solid week Andrew!

No swims

Here’s to a new week!

Nice week, especially the running program. Just as planned. Looks pretty back on track to me.

I'm also working on calorie tracking for my weight loss. I track most things on MFP Monday - Friday. Weekends are a bit more carefree. It is working for now though.

Yes, quite happy with my consistency this week, even if it was mostly short easy runs, I did something 6 days/7. Now let's see if your wild theory about consistency is correct. Surely we would have heard about it before if that was true! LOL

On Thursday I am going to test a new "sport". Don't laugh....

Walking football (soccer).

I love triathlon but I miss the ball and belonging to a team. My knees do not allow me to play real soccer. So why not? Maybe it's fun. I will report on Friday.

2022-11-21 11:21 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
@Andrew, this consistency revelation is a total game changer! You're gonna be rich!!! Congrats on the weight loss too, that's incredible. Keep up the great work!

@Nathalie, can't wait to hear how walking football went! Sounds very interesting, though I feel the temptation to run after a ball OR giggle at everyone speed walking towards the ball, would completely take over. Maybe both!

@Mike, I hope you're feeling better! There's been so much going around lately.
2022-11-21 11:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've done a few PZ rides since I last posted and have been feeling pretty good on them. Even PR'd yesterday in a 45 minute ride where most of it was spent in Z4. Leaving for PA tomorrow after work, so am going to try to do a ride today and tomorrow to still on track for my challenge.

While I am up there, I plan on doing some strength and yoga, and have begun looking at treadmills that will work in my low-ceilinged basement. If anyone has a recommendation on that, please let me know! My ceilings in my basement are about 6.5-7 feet, and that shouldn't change when I renovate it as I'm only using vinyl flooring and keeping the beams open to give the impression of it being more spacious than it is
2022-11-21 9:37 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Nicole--congratulations on the promotion!!

@Andrew--welcome to the morning club! I get up 4:30-5am every day of the week. Soon, it will become second nature and you'll even be doing it on days you don't have to workout!

@Mike--sorry to hear about the cold/chesty thing. Hopefully, you're feeling better by now.

For me...field life is going well. Was having some serious signs of overtraining (severe grumpiness!), so I decided to take an entire week off and see if that helps. I'm on day three and I feel great...so great I thought about a workout this morning, but I resisted and decided to make bread for our thanksgiving suffing at 4:30 instead! Hope all is well with everyone. This season is insane--14 hour days every day since I arrived, plus training until last Friday. It isn't a wonder I was grumpy!
2022-11-22 5:58 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hi, everyone.  Continuing to get a little better every day so almost back to normal.  I got in trainer rides three out of the last four days, keeping my HR and breathing down so I didn't cough up a lung.  Mission accomplished.  Obviously my strength and speed off-season plan has gone off the rails a bit and I'm sure the Thanksgiving weekend isn't going to help.  My daughter just flew over to Ireland so it's just me and the wife this weekend so I'm sure I'll get some training done with her.

@Gretchen:  smart move - look at you being good to your body!  What you do for a living sounds both exciting and insane at the same time

@Nicole:  we had an old house with about the same height basement ceiling with the exposed floor joists; there are certain treadmills designed for it but they're either not very good or expensive...at least you're not 6'3"!!  You'll probably be OK with a regular treadmill - I think ours (Bowflex 10) is about 8-9 inches high and it's a monster; most have decks a little lower; look at the Sole brand - they have a ton of different models and a wide range of prices and are REALLY highly-rated; they sell them at Dick's Sporting Goods so you can go look at them but make sure you buy directly from Sole as the warranty is better

@Nathalie:  I really miss playing soccer, too...I wasn't all that great but I loved the running around and I had a good feel for the game just zero ball skills LOL; is it like speed-walking soccer?

@Andrew:  your base training is going along great; keep it up and nice work managing 4 o-dark-thirty days in a row; it's not easy

Speaking of soccer, very disappointing result for the USA yesterday after dominating the first half; officiating was horrible but not the reason we would up in a draw; England on Friday!!!!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43