BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-04-06 6:01 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Hello, everyone.  We're just about wrapping up our time here in Florida with some 90+ degree weather.  I managed to get myself a cold, my first in over two years so I'm for sure overdue, but dang I hate being sick!  The last couple of weeks have been lousy for my training with being busy running around while my daughter was here and then getting this bug, other than tons of walking so at least I'm not gaining weight.  Back at home Sunday so with only six weeks until my first bike race I'd better get back on it.

We're going to re-enact our recent past with a quick stop in Atlanta to watch my daughter swim in collegiate club nationals, so basically like all through the past ten years we're driving for 3 hours, staying the night in a hotel room, and sitting in a warm humid pool area to watch 28 seconds of swimming.  

Glad to see everyone is doing well and getting some training in.

2022-04-06 11:31 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Andrew - Sounds like you've been steady, and an easy-ish week makes sense with your last HM coming up! Good luck!

Mike - I think by the time you get back we should be through these 50ish degree days...it's been chilly but not horrible, but can't imagine leaving 90 degrees for this so hoping you get to ease back in. Sorry you're sick, and good luck to your daughter in her meet!
2022-04-06 11:34 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone!
I FINALLY got a 30 minute run in yesterday. It went okay, but I think I was a little dead from 2 days of PZ rides. This is good though, b/c my race at the end of this month has 3 legs so by the 3rd my legs will be destroyed. So good to get some practice on running through fatigue now. I also did some Tunde arms.
Got a PZ ride in this morning, followed by 10 minutes of yoga for hips, which felt amazing. I had some pain in my right hip yesterday after my run so definitely need to work on flexibility there!
2022-04-09 1:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear you’ve had a cold Mike. Hope it’s better now.

Andrew, enjoy the last of your HM series, looking forward to reading how you’ve crushed it!

Yes Nicole, flexibility is very important, especially as we get older. Can’t remember how old you are though, but it’s important at all ages.

Another draw so far in the Fat Nat vs Fit Nat battle but Fit Nat will clinch victory in overtime if I manage to go swimming tomorrow morning.

Got all my workouts in so far but not very intense, same as last week. And as last week, too much beer while watching hockey.

Luckily (sadly) my team is already out in the quarter finals of the SHL . 3 games went to overtime and they lost all 3. What are the odds? They lost the 4th one too. A very emotional moment as it was the coach’s last game. Been with the team 11 seasons and will now lead the Swedish National team.

Anyway, no more hockey so hopefully less beer. Also it’s Masters weekend (golf) so it’s officially Summer and triathlon season!

Have a great weekend all!
2022-04-10 5:36 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Unfortunately, the evening before my Half Marathon, I started experiencing flu/covid type symptoms. Sore throat, blocked up nose, head ache etc. Negative covid test, but early the next morning when I got up to get ready for the race I was feeling worse. So I decided to do the sensible thing and not put my body through a long hard run. 

Race 5, DNS.

That's now the 3rd time I've entered this 5 race series, and the 3rd time I've only done 3 races (First was a false alarm health scare where I was advised at the time not to run, and second was a cancelled race due to the original covid lockdown.

I hadn't been planning to do the series next year, but now it's a bit of unfinished business 

Feeling better than I was on the weekend, but not 100% yet so will take 1 or 2 more days off.
2022-04-11 1:26 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Oh. Shoot Andrew, that sucks!
Of course you were right not to start if you are sick, it wouldn’t have been fun, and potentially dangerous.

Managed to get up early to go swiming so Fit Nat wins. Even squeezed in a Zwift ride in the afternoon as I realized I need to run more…
My first tri is approaching (june 6th) and it’s the only one where I will compete in my age group.
Looking at previous years results, I would have a shot at a podium if it wasn’t for the run. I am 5 minutes slower than everyone in my AG. (Sprint)

How do I get faster? Right now I run twice a week: an intense intervals training with a group and a slow 10k with a friend at conversational pace.

So I decided to reshuffle my training plan, move the longer biking session to the Sunday afternoon and add a run on my Monday afternoons off (and also an hour of golf practice).
What should I do then? Any ideas, tips?

Have a great week all!

2022-04-11 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Andrew:  really smart decision to bail on the race, and bummer on the timing but it happens.  I'm about 90% back now with just some lingering bleh in my nose and chest, plus now that I'm back in Maryland I'm going to deal with pollen season again so this is how I'm going to have to exist for another couple of months.

The swim meet was a hot, disorganized mess with zero communication to parents/fans, so they sold out the 25 (!!!) spectator tickets they had for Saturday morning way before our spot in line (which we sat outdoors in 40 degree weather for almost an hour with about 500 other people).  So, we packed up and started driving home and watched the live stream Saturday and Sunday.  My daughter did decently well considering her lack of swim training (28.5 50 fly, 1:05.xx 100 back, 1:04.xx 100 fly, 28ish 50 free) but definitely not PR territory.

Hope everyone has a great week!

2022-04-12 10:27 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, so sorry to hear you weren't feeling well and were not able to race. Definitely the right choice, but frustrating nonetheless. Let us know if you decide to try for it again next year. Hopefully you will be in a better place to focus on training for them and can knock this year's races out of the water!

Fit Nat, way to keep crushing it! As for speed, I'm curious what your interval runs you're already doing are? That is going to be the way to get your speed where you want it, adding more intervals. I would recommend doing some 1k intervals running pretty hard. Maybe do 4-6 of them with 3-5 minutes between intervals (walking/jogging, but try to jog at least a little when you can)? As you get closer to the race, you could finish that off with some shorter sprints to really work on the fast twitch muscles. You might already be doing something similar to this on your interval day, but this is what I would do (and plan on doing) to work on that speed. I have a race on June 5th so have a similar timeline and less training at this point haha
2022-04-12 10:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Mike, welcome back to MD! That swim meet sounds like an insane situation. I'm sorry you didn't get to go to your daughter's meet and wasted that time, but glad you got to at least watch a livestream.
2022-04-12 10:35 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've had a busy week or so! I'm on week 5 of Tunde arms and going strong. I'm in this PZ competition and getting all my rides in. Did a 75 minute live ride Saturday morning for my 100th (!) peloton ride. I didn't get a shoutout unfortunately but it was a great ride nonetheless.

Did my first brick workout this morning. Did a 45 min PZ ride (lots of zone 5) followed by a 30 minute run. My legs are DEAD, but that's the idea I guess.

Not sure what to do about next week b/c I have this PZ competition but also have the Seneca 7 on Sunday. I think I'm going to try to front load my week, then take a few days off/easy to rest my legs before the race. Also realized I really...REALLY...need to get in the pool. My sprint tri is a month and a half out, so gonna try to get to masters practice the next few Fridays since I'm traveling each weekend, and then will start doing Friday and Saturday until the race. eek. Definitely ramping up a lot.

I also have not lost any weight. I have been eating better but think I'm going to limit my alcohol consumption for awhile to try to get my weight in check.
2022-04-12 3:31 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Way to go Nicole! Well done, keep going, and yes, definitely try to get some swimming in or you may not do well in your sprint. Don’t have to be very fast if you can catch up on the bike or the run but you don’t want to be too tired after the swim due to lack of practice

We do some speed or hills intervals. Never more than 2 minutes so quite fast (the 4 or 5 times I have been. Maybe this will change).

I was thinking that on my 3rd run of the week I would so something in between the speed intervals and the slow 10k. So yesterday, after warming up, I ran 20 minutes at a 5:30/km pace, which is 30 seconds faster than my comfortable 10km tempo. Next week, I was thinking 2 x 10 minutes at 5:15.
I like the idea of doing 1k intervals, so that would be the next step (5 minutes at 5 min/k)

Then, the following week back to 20 minutes, but hopefully faster (distance to beat 3.65 km), etc.

Sounds like a plan.

2022-04-12 7:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole:  are you doing Rock Hall?  That's a great race and Kinetic is top notch as a race organizer.

@Nathalie:  speed running is an art to figure out just the right amount for you.  Daniels Running Formula says no more than 20% of weekly volume at speed, broken down into tempo (like 10k race pace), VO2 max (just faster than 5k race pace) or speed (mile race pace).  When I was running a ton I followed that formula and saw big gains, so I think you're headed in the right direction (it takes me a second to translate to min/mile for us rebels still on the imperial system LOL).  The 20-minute tempo run and the 1k VO2 max runs are bread and butter intervals.

Just always be careful of running hard when you don't feel right...better to just get the mileage in.  There was a poster here years ago who summed it up.  Run often, mostly slow, sometimes hard, and don't chase PRs in training, 'cause nobody's around to see them. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-04-12 7:17 PM
2022-04-12 8:29 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Yup, missing the run was the right decision. Which I know. But I'm allowed to be frustrated.

Mike Nice to have you back on deck. 25 tickets for 500 people waiting? that's ridiculous. Was that covid restrictions or something?

Fit Nat As an embarrassingly slow runner I probably shouldn't be allowed to give advice, but here goes anyway.

Like Mike said, you don't want more than around 20% of your running to be 'hard' That number pops up in many different training books/philosophies, so it's a safe bet that 80% easy 20% hard is about right (but don't stress if your a little higher or lower). With that in mind, if you're only doing 3 runs a week I wouldn't be adding another speed workout. 1 interval session, 1 long run, 1 easy run sounds right. If you're going to be running 4 or 5 times a week I'd be looking to add some 'tempo' sort of sessions. Tempo pace is around your 5km race pace. Check out the McMillian running calculator to work out your paces. https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/#run-withSo you'd be 1 interval run, 1 tempo/cruise interval run, 1 long run, 1-3 easy runs.

Your 20min @5:30/km is essentially a tempo run, it's a good option. You can also look at cruise intervals, 2x10, 4x7 etc. Another option is a fast finish run, easy run with the last part (10min, 15min etc.) at tempo pace.

You could also look to add a fast finish, or cruise intervals to your long run as a way to add some more intensity.

Actually, if your running 3 days a week that's not silly. 1 easy, 1 group interval run, 1 10km with the last 1-1.5km @5k pace.

But really you should be running more. Intervals are the icing. Consistent easy miles are the cake. I second Mikes quote, run often mostly easy sometimes hard.

(totally hypocritical coming from someone who is aiming for 6 runs a week but averages 3 over the last few months. Knowing what to do is one thing, doing it is a lot harder)
2022-04-13 3:30 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I am right on the 20 hard/80 easy ratio. so I'll keep going

2022-04-13 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Knowing what to do is one thing, doing it is a lot harder)

LOL - ain't that the truth! 

2022-04-13 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, completely understand the frustration! Definitely not trying to take that away. I hope you're feeling better!

Mike, yep, doing Rock Hall! I've done their Oly before. Actually considered doing both, but in the end decided to just focus on the sprint. My friend is doing it, and it's her first tri, so decided to do it with her.
My Rock Hall Oly was the one that I swam too far (missed the exit and had to turn around and swim back), and my wetsuit (which I shouldn't have even been wearing, it was way too warm) had rubbed my neck raw, so I don't have the best memory of it so want a redo

Got in a PZ ride this morning. My legs were dead but I made it. Think I'm doing a 60 min ride tmrw, and then hope to swim Friday morning before heading to PA, where I will run both days. This is the plan at least.

2022-04-13 8:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, completely understand the frustration! Definitely not trying to take that away. I hope you're feeling better!

Mike, yep, doing Rock Hall! I've done their Oly before. Actually considered doing both, but in the end decided to just focus on the sprint. My friend is doing it, and it's her first tri, so decided to do it with her.
My Rock Hall Oly was the one that I swam too far (missed the exit and had to turn around and swim back), and my wetsuit (which I shouldn't have even been wearing, it was way too warm) had rubbed my neck raw, so I don't have the best memory of it so want a redo

Got in a PZ ride this morning. My legs were dead but I made it. Think I'm doing a 60 min ride tmrw, and then hope to swim Friday morning before heading to PA, where I will run both days. This is the plan at least.
2022-04-13 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Andrew, completely understand the frustration! Definitely not trying to take that away. I hope you're feeling better! Mike, yep, doing Rock Hall! I've done their Oly before. Actually considered doing both, but in the end decided to just focus on the sprint. My friend is doing it, and it's her first tri, so decided to do it with her. My Rock Hall Oly was the one that I swam too far (missed the exit and had to turn around and swim back), and my wetsuit (which I shouldn't have even been wearing, it was way too warm) had rubbed my neck raw, so I don't have the best memory of it so want a redo Got in a PZ ride this morning. My legs were dead but I made it. Think I'm doing a 60 min ride tmrw, and then hope to swim Friday morning before heading to PA, where I will run both days. This is the plan at least.

I did the Oly back in 2014 (my only one); just missed qualifying for AG nationals by one place in my AG, though it was about 4 minutes so not like I was out-sprinted or anything (just out swam by a LOT).  We stayed at the Black Duck Inn the night before the race which was awesome - right next to transition.

I'm doing the General Smallwood sprint the 21st.  Considering I've ran about 50 miles total all year, that run should be interesting LOL.

2022-04-13 5:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by nicole14e

I feel ok, but still definitely blocked up. So been taking it easy (lazy) this week. We (Mrs Bullfrog, the 2 little ones, the in-laws and Mrs Bullfrogs 2 Nanas) are off on a family trip to see Mrs Bullfrogs sister for the Easter weekend.

Not looking forward to a flight with a 1 year old who doesn't like sitting still :/ Other than the plane it should be good tho. I'm bringing a pair of running shoes with me, but not sure if they'll get used.

Have a good long weekend guys.
2022-04-14 10:40 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by nicole14e Andrew, completely understand the frustration! Definitely not trying to take that away. I hope you're feeling better! Mike, yep, doing Rock Hall! I've done their Oly before. Actually considered doing both, but in the end decided to just focus on the sprint. My friend is doing it, and it's her first tri, so decided to do it with her. My Rock Hall Oly was the one that I swam too far (missed the exit and had to turn around and swim back), and my wetsuit (which I shouldn't have even been wearing, it was way too warm) had rubbed my neck raw, so I don't have the best memory of it so want a redo Got in a PZ ride this morning. My legs were dead but I made it. Think I'm doing a 60 min ride tmrw, and then hope to swim Friday morning before heading to PA, where I will run both days. This is the plan at least.

I did the Oly back in 2014 (my only one); just missed qualifying for AG nationals by one place in my AG, though it was about 4 minutes so not like I was out-sprinted or anything (just out swam by a LOT).  We stayed at the Black Duck Inn the night before the race which was awesome - right next to transition.

I'm doing the General Smallwood sprint the 21st.  Considering I've ran about 50 miles total all year, that run should be interesting LOL.

Oh nice, that's pretty soon! How's the swimming been? Have you made it to masters yet? I'm going to head there tomorrow or Saturday, depending on when I'm going up to PA.

I'll definitely check out the Black Duck!
2022-04-14 10:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew good luck on the flight and have a lovely long weekend away!

2022-04-14 10:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Did a 60 min PZ ride this morning. I don't know why I thought it was going to be in zone 2 and 3. It was definitely zone 3 and 4, and after doing rides the last 2 days my legs were destroyed. I made it though (barely), and now I will not bike again until Monday. Running this weekend will tell me if I can do this again next week (3 days in a row, Mon-Wed) and not be too fatigued for my race on Sunday. Thoughts on that?
2022-04-18 5:01 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Did a 60 min PZ ride this morning. I don't know why I thought it was going to be in zone 2 and 3. It was definitely zone 3 and 4, and after doing rides the last 2 days my legs were destroyed. I made it though (barely), and now I will not bike again until Monday. Running this weekend will tell me if I can do this again next week (3 days in a row, Mon-Wed) and not be too fatigued for my race on Sunday. Thoughts on that?

How did it go then? Could you run?

A good week for Fit Nat, although beer drinking Nat (a close relative to Fat Nat) had had a good week too! I really have to cut down if I want to get faster. (And wine, BDN like wine too)

3 runs, 2 rides, one strength session. No swimming though, No Masters training yesterday (Easter Sunday) and although I had planned on trying to swim in the lake, I couldn’t be bothered. Maybe today, it’s still early (12pm) and the weather is gorgeous.

Have a great week!

2022-04-18 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by nicole14e Did a 60 min PZ ride this morning. I don't know why I thought it was going to be in zone 2 and 3. It was definitely zone 3 and 4, and after doing rides the last 2 days my legs were destroyed. I made it though (barely), and now I will not bike again until Monday. Running this weekend will tell me if I can do this again next week (3 days in a row, Mon-Wed) and not be too fatigued for my race on Sunday. Thoughts on that?
How did it go then? Could you run? A good week for Fit Nat, although beer drinking Nat (a close relative to Fat Nat) had had a good week too! I really have to cut down if I want to get faster. (And wine, BDN like wine too) 3 runs, 2 rides, one strength session. No swimming though, No Masters training yesterday (Easter Sunday) and although I had planned on trying to swim in the lake, I couldn’t be bothered. Maybe today, it’s still early (12pm) and the weather is gorgeous. Have a great week!

Fat Nat and Fat Mike must be distant relatives. 

2022-04-18 8:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Rollergirl

How did it go then? Could you run?

A good week for Fit Nat, although beer drinking Nat (a close relative to Fat Nat) had had a good week too! I really have to cut down if I want to get faster. (And wine, BDN like wine too)

3 runs, 2 rides, one strength session. No swimming though, No Masters training yesterday (Easter Sunday) and although I had planned on trying to swim in the lake, I couldn’t be bothered. Maybe today, it’s still early (12pm) and the weather is gorgeous.

Have a great week!

So I started feeling a little unwell Friday. Tested and sure enough, I was covid positive :-/ So I did not run this weekend. I didn't do anything. Luckily it's not horrible. Kind of a cross between a mild flu and a bad cold. But figured better to take it easy to hopefully be better by this weekend and still be able to race.

Good job, Fit Nat! and BDN sounds like she was also very productive!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43