BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-05-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Whew getting some cobwebs here in the BDAS forum. 

I'm in taper week now...took yesterday off then this morning was a 20' TT on the bike @ 90% FTP, then a quick 2-mile run with some short intervals above race pace.  Planning on a short swim at lunch but we'll see what the day brings at work.

I continue to have technology disasters...here's the full list in the past 2-3 weeks:

• Work laptop fails to complete Windows upgrade, gets stuck at 44% and I have to deal with our tech support; this went on for a week with me intermittently completely down and finally my VP had to escalate it to get me a new machine
  • Our one-year-old, not inexpensive treadmill got the equivalent of the "blue screen of death" when booting up and is now an expensive towel rack in my gym; hopefully getting fixed later today
  • ERG mode stopped working on my trainer/Zwift; it continues to drop once in a while (I think this is a Windows 11 problem)
  • Wife's Echelon bike didn't want to connect Bluetooth the same day I had the issues with my trainer
  • My car seat motor (the thing that allows it to go back and forth) died with it in my wife's driving position.  I'm 6'3" she's 5'8" so I look like I'm driving one of those European city cars
  • I tried to install my wheel cover on my wheel, the freehub just came off with the cassette still attached to it; I got it back on the bike but once I installed it the cassette is now rubbing the cover (so basically I'm riding a fixie); now I can't get the freehub OR the cassette off the wheel;  off to Jason my mechanic with my tail between my legs

Oh, and now the weather forecast for my race is 92 degrees and humid.  I'm fairly heat tolerant but that's nuts.

2022-05-17 9:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Hi everyone! I have been completely off the grid, but just caught up on everyone's goings-on

Nat - great job on the 10k!

Mike - Good luck on the "taper" week. I'm similar to you in that I don't really taper much for sprint tris.

Andrew - I hope your wife is getting better from her surgery, and that you keep up the consistency! I cannot even imagine how tough it is with small children.
2022-05-17 9:12 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
COVID destroyed my routine.

I didn't work out for 5 days because I wasn't well from COVID. Then I had a race and didn't want to do too much and tire myself out, so instead I did nothing...not my finest decision making.

I had my race on the 24th of April. It's called the Seneca 7, so it's usually a relay with 7 people, but my friend didn't join b/c I was still testing positive (9 days out) and she was nervous she would get it, so we actually had to fill in her legs with other people (I was asymptomatic and confirmed the others didn't mind me joining). I ended up running about 13 miles (with very little run training at all and no activity for a week and a half leading up to it), including a very long, very uphill, very hot (~85 degrees F and there was NO shade...I was "lucky" enough to run it during the hottest time of the day) 6 mile run. We ended up finishing though, and overall it was a good day.
I couldn't walk for 2 days and my back was completely sunburnt, so that led to a few more days of inactivity.

At that point, I had tons of anxiety around working out at all since it essentially felt like I was starting from scratch, so it's taken me a few weeks to start getting back on my Peloton. I've been playing vball and football once a week, and finally got a couple 20 minute rides in on my Peloton. Wanted to do some floor stuff but my house is also a disaster and I haven't vacuumed in far too long. So my goal this week is to get my house cleaned and get a few Peloton rides in. Might even get outside for a run or two.

I am supposed to have a triathlon in a couple weeks but have decided I'm either going to pay $50 and defer or just not do it. Not sure if it's worth another $50 or not...
2022-05-17 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole - geez, girl, you were a mess!  You're nuts for running that thing right after COVID, but good job pushing through I guess??   

Deferring is probably a good idea though you could probably do a sprint in your sleep.  Kinetic has like 20 more races this year so I'm sure you could find something.  I'm thinking of doing Diamond in the Rough - it's only like 25 minutes from here so it's an easy drive.  They lengthened the swim to a full sprint this year so that takes some of the fun out of it.  I think they might have a 30-day restriction so you might be forced to just do Rock Hall next year...that's what I did for the September race I had to bail on last year when my BIL passed away.

2022-05-17 10:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hi Nicole, good to hear from you! Take the time to feel better after being sick, it's true of any illness but Covid is a tricky little piece of sh*t.

Oh, I thought your race was this past weekend Mike. You'll smash it I'm sure, sorry to hear about your tech disaster week! Quite an achievement for so many things to go wrong at the same time!

Run training is going well, I run 3 times a week, one slow 10k, one hard intervals session and one in between when I run a little faster than my 10k going shopping pace (6min/km) for shorter time. This week it was 20 minutes at 5:25 ish pace.

Biking and swimming, well, not so much. Went for a 29k ride at going shopping pace on Saturday and a 15 minutes OWS on Sunday, that's it. I need to swim longer and add one bike intervals session. Problem is. the golf season has started so I have been blowing off one bike training for that

2022-05-17 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

"Going Shopping Pace"...that made me LOL. 

2022-05-17 4:44 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Nope, Not dead, and yes, still here.

The last couple of weeks have been a bit rough for us. First my cold which I just couldn't shake followed by Mrs Bullfrogs surgery which I've already talked about. Then Mr 4 started having some nasty coughing fits, after visiting the Dr and 5 covid tests over 7 days (If you haven't experienced trying to restrain a 4 year old who doesn't want a nasal swab, try to keep it that way. It is horrible) diagnosed with an old fashioned non covid chest infection. So home for a week on antibiotics. And finally Miss 1 brought a Gastro infection back from kindy, which has now worked its way through her brother (for another 2 days home) Her Granny, Me, and now her Grandpa (other set of parents)

If it doesn't rain it pours.

This week was supposed to be week 1 of training for a late August Half Marathon. Obviously after being in bed the last 2 days not so much. I feel ok today, so have penciled in a short Z1/2 zwift ride to ease back into it and if we all have a good night, Im hoping for an easy run tomorrow morning. Looks like my 15 week training plan is now 14 weeks... Onwards.

Mike Yup, many cobwebs here, it's not pretty. Sounds like you're looking good for your tri tho. Setting a PB in the pool (even if it's within the margin of error) is a great sign. Have you tried running zwift from your phone to get erg mode working? If the problem is windows that could be a work around. BTW, I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I'm not a fan of the 'upgraded' menus. More difficult to choose a route and workout. And with my low spec laptop, loading times have gone through the roof.

Nicole Take the deferral. We win this game by still being fit and active in our 70's. Not by pushing through some random race after an illness when you're not ready and risking further damage. Nice mental strength pushing through your relay. But now you've proved you're strong enough you don't need to do it again. Take the knee on this one and come back stronger.

Nathalie 3 good runs, a ride and an OWS. chalk up a win for Fit Nat. Nice work.
2022-05-20 5:08 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole - geez, girl, you were a mess!  You're nuts for running that thing right after COVID, but good job pushing through I guess??   

Deferring is probably a good idea though you could probably do a sprint in your sleep.  Kinetic has like 20 more races this year so I'm sure you could find something.  I'm thinking of doing Diamond in the Rough - it's only like 25 minutes from here so it's an easy drive.  They lengthened the swim to a full sprint this year so that takes some of the fun out of it.  I think they might have a 30-day restriction so you might be forced to just do Rock Hall next year...that's what I did for the September race I had to bail on last year when my BIL passed away.

Definitely nuts. I couldn't let my team down though!
I could definitely finish the sprint, but I know I'd be unhappy with my time since I've never done one without at least swim training, so I just don't want to waste my time or energy.
Diamond in the rough is a good race! That's the one I got a flat on and had to walk for 2 miles b/c some woman had gotten seriously injured around the same time, but I enjoyed the course overall (although the run is a bit boring, but I did the Oly so had to do the out and back twice). Let me know if you end up doing it, and if I'm back into training I may join you!
2022-05-20 5:13 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I've had a pretty nice week. Did a couple short rides, some Tunde arms, and went on a short run/walk yesterday. It was nice just getting out in the morning. It's going to be in the 90s here for a few days starting today, but the mornings are lovely so I'm just trying to enjoy them as much as possible. Planning to play a lot of volleyball this weekend as well!
2022-05-20 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

One day to go - slept great the last couple of nights so feeling spry.  Today I'm going to get a short interval in all three disciplines and a little light yoga to keep the sword sharp, pack up the car and drive down this afternoon.  Water temp has gone up 13 degrees in the last 10 days and it's perfect right now at 72*, though I'd expect a 3-4 degree jump today/tonight with our hot weather.  96 is the forecast high tomorrow so I'm going to ride with Gatorade instead of water and toss back some ice at the run aid stations. 

I'm a little concerned about the Olympic athletes tomorrow - we've had a cool spring here (jokingly referred to as our "four months of March") so no one is acclimated to the heat at all.

2022-05-20 8:44 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  Mike Yup, many cobwebs here, it's not pretty. Sounds like you're looking good for your tri tho. Setting a PB in the pool (even if it's within the margin of error) is a great sign. Have you tried running zwift from your phone to get erg mode working? If the problem is windows that could be a work around. BTW, I'm not sure how you feel about it, but I'm not a fan of the 'upgraded' menus. More difficult to choose a route and workout. And with my low spec laptop, loading times have gone through the roof. 

I've never tried Zwift on my phone but I have run it on a Android tablet with no issues, but that wasn't ERG mode either.  As for the new interface/menu I kinda like it.  You have to get used to it but you can actually do a workout in any of the worlds without hacking the config file to do it, so if you're route badge chasing you aren't captive to the guest world calendar.  I have a gaming rig so I don't see any load time issues - I can just imagine how slow it would be on the old Dell laptop I used to use.  For Zwift to run at its best you need an SSD hard drive, a 12th-gen Intel Core processor and an NVDIA video card.  The SSD is probably the biggest upgrade because that impacts loading times.

Hope everyone in the family gets (and stays!) well.  I know you're heading into sick season so hopefully you're getting it all out of the way now.

2022-05-21 7:53 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Good luck today Mike!

Sound like you are getting back on track Nicole, that’s great.

Andrew, you seem to see the light at the end of the illness tunnel, hope it stays that way.

Fit Nat is looking to win this week if I manage a long ride and a short swim tomorrow. Everything else is ticked off for the week, including the strength session and the bike intervals I blew off last week. Even managed a bonus 20 min swim yesterday.

2 weeks to go until my first tri of the year, a sprint. I’ll be competing in my AG at national level. I don’t have a chance in hell to make the podium but it will be fun to be part of a bigger race. I’ve only ever done small village races with less than 200 participants.

Talking of fun races, I clinched a spot at a very fun race in Sweden (so I am told), the Kalmar mini tri which takes place the Thursday before the Ironman in that town. It’s a 300m swim, 18k bike and 4k run (or something like that) and there is usually a lot of people competing and watching. Maybe a little less so in post-covid times but should still be fun

Have a great weekend!

2022-05-22 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Triathlon in the books, finally, after almost eight years.  A for effort and C+ on execution.  I'll get up a race report in the next couple of days.

Really short version:  hot as @#@#, brutal hilly course, my OWS skills are still lacking, and I bring a picnic to transitions (still).  Still had a great time.

My whole body hurts today.    

2022-05-22 2:25 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Glad you had a great time Mike! Looking forward to reading your race report!
2022-05-22 9:52 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Good job Mike.

look forward to reading all about it.
2022-05-23 9:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Good job, Mike! That day could not have been more brutally hot, so I think a lot can be chalked up to that. Can't wait to read the report!

2022-05-23 9:19 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I didn't do any SBR this weekend, but I did play a couple hours of vball each day, and followed it up Saturday with 2 football games. As Mike mentioned, the heat was brutal on Saturday (yesterday too, but def worse Saturday). We haven't had many hot days here so no one has really acclimated yet. I was trying to drink as much water as possible. Had goosebumps towards the end of the second game, so think I had the start of heat exhaustion coming on, but luckily we were finishing up and I was able to go home and recover. Excited to be outside more though!
2022-05-23 10:49 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Race report is up.

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=558664&posts=1#M5281146

Warning:  I write a lot and it's stream of consciousness.   

2022-05-25 8:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

I didn't do any SBR this weekend, but I did play a couple hours of vball each day, and followed it up Saturday with 2 football games. As Mike mentioned, the heat was brutal on Saturday (yesterday too, but def worse Saturday). We haven't had many hot days here so no one has really acclimated yet. I was trying to drink as much water as possible. Had goosebumps towards the end of the second game, so think I had the start of heat exhaustion coming on, but luckily we were finishing up and I was able to go home and recover. Excited to be outside more though!

I don't know how you EVER have time with SBR with all that ball playing! Good for you though!

2022-05-25 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Four days post race and now feeling physically normal again.  Got in a short trainer ride and some light strength and core work yesterday morning and a really good Bikram Yoga session this morning.  I've let my strength and core work go a little in the past couple of weeks as I approach my race so I need to get back at it to keep Humpty Dumpty together. 

2022-05-25 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by nicole14e I didn't do any SBR this weekend, but I did play a couple hours of vball each day, and followed it up Saturday with 2 football games. As Mike mentioned, the heat was brutal on Saturday (yesterday too, but def worse Saturday). We haven't had many hot days here so no one has really acclimated yet. I was trying to drink as much water as possible. Had goosebumps towards the end of the second game, so think I had the start of heat exhaustion coming on, but luckily we were finishing up and I was able to go home and recover. Excited to be outside more though!
I don't know how you EVER have time with SBR with all that ball playing! Good for you though!

And I don't know how you swim in water that's a few degrees above freezing! 

When I was playing a lot of sports I could put together a pretty good 5K time without any real run training.  Not anymore!

2022-05-25 2:19 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by nicole14e I didn't do any SBR this weekend, but I did play a couple hours of vball each day, and followed it up Saturday with 2 football games. As Mike mentioned, the heat was brutal on Saturday (yesterday too, but def worse Saturday). We haven't had many hot days here so no one has really acclimated yet. I was trying to drink as much water as possible. Had goosebumps towards the end of the second game, so think I had the start of heat exhaustion coming on, but luckily we were finishing up and I was able to go home and recover. Excited to be outside more though!

And I don't know how you swim in water that's a few degrees above freezing! 

When I was playing a lot of sports I could put together a pretty good 5K time without any real run training.  Not anymore!

I don’t swim in water that’s a few degrees above freezing. I just sit in it for a couple of minutes.

I need at least 55 F before I swim. With wetsuit, booties, gloves and balaclava type swim cap!

When I was younger and played soccer and things, the only running I did was chasing a ball.
2022-05-26 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well another week of having my arse kicked.

Unfortunately we've had both little ones home at various points this week, and both of them up during the night ruining any plans of early morning running. Miss 1 picked up a fever at kindy on Tuesday, brought it home and proceeded to give it to her older brother, who started getting hot just as the little one was recovering. That's 4 different sicknesses across the 2 kids in the last 3 weeks for those keeping score. Got to love parenthood. :/

So another week of life very much getting in the way of training goals. The one training bright spot is I have been reasonably consistent getting onto zwift in the evenings. So, although I doubt I'm building any fitness I am at least maintaining some on the bike. I wish we had space for a treadmill, training after the kids bedtime is by far the easiest to get in and adding some indoor running would help so much with getting it done. Unfortunately we have discussed it and Mrs Bullfrog has said under no circumstances is a treadmill joining the bike trainer in our lounge... I will keep working on her

Mike Good job getting back into it post race. What's next on your hit list? Now you've regained the tri bug are their more sprints over your summer coming up?

Nicole I agree, how do you have time for any SBR training with so many different sports. Still, most important thing is your outside being active and enjoying yourself. It definitely sounds like you're doing that.

Nathalie Hope FitNat is winning again this week.

Have a good weekend guys.
2022-05-27 3:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Oh the joy of being a parent! I remember those days. Not fun, it was bad enough with one child bringing home the bugs...

It gets better.

Fit Nat is doing well so far this week. I had to slighly alter my program as we are going to a wedding tomorrow so I will try and squeeze a quick swim in the morning before we leave. Back on Sunday, hopefully early enough for my slow 10k

Yesterday was a holiday and I had planned to swim after my long ride but I was exhausted after the ride so instead, I went to bed and watched Sweden lose a 3 goal lead against Canada to crash out of the Ice hockey world cup.
It was very windy anyway so probably best not to swim on my own in the lake.

Next week is taper week. Not sure how I'll play it yet. The race is on Monday (6th). Probably will follow the usual plan but reduce the intensity of the run intervals on Wednesday and take Saturday off. Oh and, no bike intervals on Thursday, will play golf instead.

Have a great weekend!

2022-05-27 5:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Yeah, Andrew, like Nat said, it gets better as the kids age, though my daughter and I had this semi-permanent cold thing from September to May every year that we would pass back and forth.  As for the treadmill, keep working at it!!    I love having ours even though it's been a technology pain in the neck since we bought it.  We're lucky that we have a separate room for our Pain Cave.

Have fun at the wedding, Nat!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43