BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-06-24 9:14 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Spectacularly slow lake swim this morning--like 20" slower than normal per 100 yds--and I have no idea why. I was just slow. It seemed liked I was swimming normally. My sighting was pretty awful, but it usually is, especially on this swim route (we swim directly into the sun for a while, then so I breath toward it for the rest, which gives me headaches, so I don't breath much or sight as much as I should).

Found out just before we started that the group swam last Friday and tried to race the big thunderstorm that rolled through our area (I seriously thought they were smarter than that!). It didn't end well. They were all in the middle of the lake when the lightening started and one of my friend's dogs (who swims with us) drown in the storm. It is so awful. I'm sad about it and it wasn't even my dog. Moral of the story--be safe and smart when you're OWS!!

2022-06-25 3:55 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
OMG that’s awful! Why would you want to risk swimming in a thunderstorm??!!

Midsummer went well, I spent a lot of time kicking a ball with the kids rather than talk to the adults. My kind of party! Didn’t even hurt myself, although the knees are a little sore this morning but probably more from hitting the ground making spectacular goalkeeping saves. No harm done.

A hot long ride on the program today. Have a great weekend!

2022-06-25 8:36 PM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I did my first century ride today—Tour de Corn in SE Missouri. It was HOT. I got lost near the end (along with three others) and ended up calling SAG to come get us. Ended up at 104 miles, so I do not feel one bit bad about that air conditioned ride home. Somehow we were 12 miles from the finish. Did I mention it was hot? Temp was over 100F with a heat index of 107F by the time we got back. I’m now tied, a tiny bit sunburned, and looking for a good night’s sleep.
2022-06-27 8:51 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
90' run yesterday in a light rain (I love running in the rain--light rain, not downpours). I was surprised at how good my legs felt after Saturday's century ride. The run was a little slow, but it was supposed to be Z2 and I was solidly in Z2 the whole time. No soreness, no dead legs, no nothing. It is almost as if consistently training for several months in a row is actually paying off. Who would have thunk?!?! :D

Hope all your weekend's were good!
2022-06-27 8:58 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Happy Monday everyone.  Nice work over the weekend, Gretchen.  Over 100 degrees is no joke for a ride that long. 

I rescued a week going off the rails with a really good training weekend.  Saturday was a bike/run brick (90 minute / 30 minute) then Sunday was an OWS/bike brick at the state park near me.  I couldn't believe how rough the water was - it's usually like glass here but the wind conditions (maybe 10 mph) were just at the right direction to have like a 20 mile fetch across the bay and up the river.  Maybe 1.5' waves which is nuts for there.  My race in two weeks is actually in the Bay so probably good practice.  I was not good.  LOL

2022-06-27 9:09 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Happy Monday!
Nathalie, glad to hear you had a lovely holiday! I'm sure it was an epic save and totally worth some soreness

Gretchen, so sad about the pup drowning! Sounds like you had a solid ride overall, and amazing that you felt good the next day!

Mike, were you at Hammerman? Definitely unusual for choppiness there. The only time I've seen it rough is when there was a pretty bad storm and people looked like they were swimming in place against the waves!

I woke up early Friday and cleaned for 2 hours as my workout. My house was a bit of a mess. Headed up to PA this weekend for a big volleyball tournament (largest grass tourny in the world! There were almost 300 courts across 5 different locations). Played well but didn't make playoffs. Had a great time cheering our friends on that almost made it to finals though!
Was feeling really run down this morning so am going to aim to get a ride in this afternoon.

2022-06-27 9:04 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well trust activity on the forum to shoot up at the same time my workload does.

38 unread messages for me, been a while since that's happened. I guess Gretchen is good for the conversation.

I had almost the whole week off, but on Sunday my running mate got permission for his first run since becoming a dad. So it was short and easy but how could I not get out and join him. The run, and recovery went well, so I've followed it up with a pre breakfast run Monday and Tuesday. All feels good, so I'm thinking I have been overly conservative (No surprises there) but looking to kick on and get 5 or 6 total runs, and 4 rides during the week. All will be short, after almost a month of zero it's about building some frequency again first up.

GretchenSprint tri, and a century ride on your rest week? You really are earning 'the machine' title. I am far more likely to sign up for the next race, post ironman than a skydive. Personally I'm with Mike, you're nuts. The only reason to jump out of a plane is it's on fire. I'm sure it'll be a fun reward for you post race. Where in Australia were you? I would say you should have come across the Tasman for a kiwi race, but at that stage our boarders were still covid closed unfortunately. And are you likely to be coming back?

nathalie I struggle to comprehend a drive that long. I know NZ is not the biggest place, but the furthest I can drive from home is less than 400 miles. And there would have to be a strong reason not to fly that. Hope you enjoy France, if not the drive. Hope you enjoyed your midsummer. The good news for me is it's also the winter solstice for us. The days are getting longer again

Lunchtime over, back to work for me. Have a good week everyone.
2022-06-28 2:31 AM

awesome! ! !
2022-06-28 7:29 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Glad you're getting back at it a little, Andrew.  I'm sure the month-ish off wasn't pleasant - good plan on frequency to start. 

@Nicole - yes Hammerman.  I couldn't believe the waves LOL...that area is usually so calm and it wasn't a particularly windy morning either. 

I got in a nice tempo run this morning and I felt great, only about 60 degrees this morning so my pace was quicker than usual.  It was actually a LOT quicker because my Garmin had me about a half mile from where I really was and I clocked in a sweet 3-minute 800 meters according to Garmin Connect.  Hey - the numbers don't lie!!!    (note that I don't think I've run a 3-minute 800 since college LOL). 

Yesterday was a planned off day, the last for a while as the Tour de France challenge starts Friday.  I still have to map out my "route" based on the available worlds in Zwift which hasn't been release yet.  I'll have the anti-taper for my short sprint race next weekend.

2022-06-28 7:58 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew glad to see you back at it! Starting slow is definitely the way to do it. I wasn't always great at that in the past, but am learning my late-30s body can't always recover quite the same.

Got in a 45 minute PZ ride this morning, alternating between zones 3 and 5. My legs felt like jello at the end!
2022-06-28 5:30 PM
in reply to: #5281652

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Mike—sun 3:00 800?!? I’d take it—running or swimming! Good to hear about a solid weekend of training too!

Nicole—nice job getting it done today also…if you ever need another house to clean to substitute for a workout, I’ll gladly let you clean mine.

Andrew—slow and steady back into it. Better to be a little conservative than to end up hurt from too much too soon. I was in Sydney for a week and then Melbourne for three weeks (where I got Covid). I was hoping to be in Melbourne for the 70.3 there, but I missed it by about two weeks. It didn’t line up with my friend’s teaching schedule, so alas…next time!

Morning swim—getting my butt kicked by our masters coach. 3000yds. Then an hour interval run this afternoon, followed by what can only be described as a strength and yoga session as I lifted and contorted my body in various ways while fixing my dryer. It is good to know how to do things like this, but man can these projects drag on and become a time suck. I still figured I saved about $300 by replacing the belt, drive pulley, and thermistor myself over calling a repair person, even if it did take me two weeks to get it done (had to order part…then another part…and finally that third part!).

2022-06-29 3:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, I'm definitely super jealous of how handy you are. I would happily clean your house in exchange for handy-person help!

Woke up early and started thinking about work again so decided to get up and get a little bit done before my workout this morning. Planning to do a brick in about an hour...
2022-06-29 9:08 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I would happily clean your house in exchange for handy-person help!

DEAL!!
2022-06-29 9:12 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
3000yds this morning with masters, at least 2975 of it was torture. Okay, not that bad, but the main set was broken 200s. I loathe 200s to start with, but then you break them and they just go on forever! Anyway...second time this week I've totally ignored the planned training session on TP and gone way over with swims. Today was supposed to be 1500. I did 3000. Yesterday was supposed to be 1250. I did 2850. I guess it is good swimming is the lowest impact of the three disciplines, because I suck at sticking to the plan.

Later this afternoon I have a interval session on the bike. Going to do it outside, just because riding outside is much more fun than riding inside, but it is always harder to maintain that steady output outside. At some point soon I need to do another ramp test and a threshold test for running to set my training metrics for the last block of IM training. But...I really don't want to...they HURT!!!!
2022-06-29 9:14 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 3000yds this morning with masters, at least 2975 of it was torture. Okay, not that bad, but the main set was broken 200s. I loathe 200s to start with, but then you break them and they just go on forever! Anyway...second time this week I've totally ignored the planned training session on TP and gone way over with swims. Today was supposed to be 1500. I did 3000. Yesterday was supposed to be 1250. I did 2850. I guess it is good swimming is the lowest impact of the three disciplines, because I suck at sticking to the plan. Later this afternoon I have a interval session on the bike. Going to do it outside, just because riding outside is much more fun than riding inside, but it is always harder to maintain that steady output outside. At some point soon I need to do another ramp test and a threshold test for running to set my training metrics for the last block of IM training. But...I really don't want to...they HURT!!!!

That's generally my experience in general with swimming.

Got in a Bikram Express session this morning then I'm about to do an easy 45 minute ride in aero and the drops on the trainer.  Run tomorrow morning. 

2022-06-29 10:26 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I would happily clean your house in exchange for handy-person help!

DEAL!!

YESSSS!

2022-06-29 10:30 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I just love the image of Gretchen's coach being like, usually I have to deal with people skipping workouts and this person doubles them!

Got in my brick this morning. The ride was fine. 45 minute PZ hanging mostly in zone 3/4. After the ride yesterday, my legs were a little tired but I did fine for the most part. Then I went out for a 20 minute run but my legs were SO HEAVY, and my shins were sore. I haven't had shin splints in ages. It turned into a run/walk, and now I know that I reeeeeally need yoga in my life. Gonna try to squeeze some in today at some point. I think it's also time for a new pair of running shoes...
2022-06-30 10:55 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@Nicole - shin splints are usually caused by too much volume too soon...I doubt that would be a problem for you with all the jumping in VB and the running around in football you do.  A few years ago I had this pain in my shin that was horrible, like hard to walk horrible, and then it just went away.  Hopefully same for you.  My running shoes go from "fine" to "done" like overnight so maybe that's your solution.

Today for me was a 3+ mile treadmill run with 4 'R' pace intervals...felt great.  Then I did my leg workout and a cool down swim.  2500 yard swim tomorrow morning and then Stage 1 at lunchtime (which will be an uneventful ride around here).  My last four stages are in the France world in Zwift, which will be really cool as they're doing a big group ride thing to celebrate the Tour de France Femmes this month and I'll be riding with like a thousand people.  Zwift is the title sponsor for it, which is a great thing for women's sports. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2022-06-30 10:56 AM
2022-07-01 2:48 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello from France. Hot, lots of food and wine and beer. Trying to move a little bit every day so that I don’t turn into a fat slob in two weeks. The struggle is real.
Managed two short runs so far. Tomorrow we’re spending the day at the beach so I will get some swimming in.

Happy new month to all!
2022-07-01 8:36 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Hello from France. Hot, lots of food and wine and beer. Trying to move a little bit every day so that I don’t turn into a fat slob in two weeks. The struggle is real. Managed two short runs so far. Tomorrow we’re spending the day at the beach so I will get some swimming in. Happy new month to all!

Go, Fit Nat...beat down that Fat Nat!!  (that was really fun to write and read )

2022-07-01 10:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Can anyone explain why the Tour de France is starting in Copenhagen? Shouldn't it be in...France? (Can you tell I know nothing about cycling events? Next to golf in terms of how boring I think they are to watch)

Been really focused on work the last couple of days. Yesterday, I did my long run--2:15 and I started it at 10am. That was a terrible idea. It was already 90F by then and it was HUMID--yay for heat indexes above 100F (not!). Anyway, it was a good thing it was mostly a Z1 run, cause if I had tried to even do Z2 for more than the three 15' intervals the workout called for, I would have been toast. Even as it was, I ended up having to walk most of the last hour just to keep hr in Z1.

Today was a super ugly swim that had no life in it--and today I only did half the workout. Maybe I need to reorganize my sessions in the week. I had nothing in the tank this morning, which might be directly related to barfing up dinner last night. (Short story--no gallbladder means pepperoni pizza is a bad idea. I know this, yet I still indulge occasionally. This is, however, the first time I outright lost it though)

Later today, I have a 60' Z2 stead state bike ride to bring me to a rest day! Yes...my plan has an extra rest day this week, and I am going to take advantage of it. Sunday looks to be a 5 hr bike with a brick run of some duration afterwards. I can't bring myself to look at it yet, I'm too exhausted!

2022-07-01 10:58 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

I just love the image of Gretchen's coach being like, usually I have to deal with people skipping workouts and this person doubles them!

Got in my brick this morning. The ride was fine. 45 minute PZ hanging mostly in zone 3/4. After the ride yesterday, my legs were a little tired but I did fine for the most part. Then I went out for a 20 minute run but my legs were SO HEAVY, and my shins were sore. I haven't had shin splints in ages. It turned into a run/walk, and now I know that I reeeeeally need yoga in my life. Gonna try to squeeze some in today at some point. I think it's also time for a new pair of running shoes...

My first clue my shoes are going is pain along my anterior shin, lateral to the tibia. It feels like someone stuck a bunch of marbles under the skin just along the bone--super weird. As soon as that starts happening, I wear them for another month or so because I'm dumb, and then get new ones. Don't be like me--take care of those legs!
2022-07-02 11:54 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day! I’m taking advantage of it by meal prepping for the week and working on my actual job. Exciting!
2022-07-03 2:49 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Rest day! I’m taking advantage of it by meal prepping for the week and working on my actual job. Exciting!

So, how was your rest day? A quick half marathon or something?

Got a run and a swim in the sea yesterday. Was supposed to follow my brother in law on an easy ride with his mates this morning but the heat, food and wine is starting to get to me and I woke up with the headache from hell so passed on a couple of hours in the sun.

Have a great Sunday!
2022-07-05 6:21 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Uh oh, Fit Nat is getting a beat down from food and wine this week!  No worries, we all deserve a little R&R so enjoy.

Three stages into my TdF challenge, 20 miles Friday, 30+ miles Saturday, and 20 miles yesterday including a Zwift criterium race.  Haven't raced on Zwift in months so that was interesting.  Day off yesterday spent walking 5 miles with the family and doing some yard work, then managing to not blow my hands or face off lighting fireworks. 

Back at it today with a bike run brick and some core work, then a slight taper through the week until my race Saturday but not much of one as I'm training right through the race.  This will be my first non-wetsuit-legal race in nine years.  I've practiced a little so I'm not worried or anything, but I should be prepared for a little bit slower time.  My last raced I hammered the swim and bike and just survived the run, this time I'm going to ease through the swim and hammer the 8 mile bike and collapse at the end of the run.  The run is flat so that should help.  The race is only like a half hour drive from here so painless.

Hope everyone has a good week!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43