BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-08-08 11:34 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Nicole's response reminds me that I never responded to Nathalie about my career. 

I'm a Change Management Lead for Cigna Healthcare.  I typically either lead the change management and business readiness workstream of major projects or in some cases am part of a team that does it.  Right now I'm working on a program integrating our Supplemental Health business into Cigna after we divested their parent company.  Out of a company of 73,000 or so I'm only one of maybe a dozen to fifteen people with my skill set and experience so we're in demand.  LOVE my job. 

2022-08-08 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

@Nicole:  nice work on the weight loss...I somehow managed to have my biggest training month in over eight years and dropped not one pound, proving you can't out-run your diet ;  as for Masters...maybe - I gotta get through a couple longer swims first but I got a LOT better when I was swimming Masters down in Canton all those years ago

Masters can be brutal, but if I go just one time a week I see change so quickly. I'm going this Saturday morning! It's gonna hurt! It's 2 hours long Saturdays, but I end up strolling in a little late and leaving once my shoulder says it's time.

"Once my shoulder says it's time" is about 5 minutes into anything anymore, but I know how to manage it.  Better than in my 20s where I would just slam Advil all day then get my shoulder to pop and go a little numb to play volleyball. 

I'm probably going to go the first Friday after I get back from vacation, so the 26th. 

2022-08-08 2:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Nicole's response reminds me that I never responded to Nathalie about my career. 

I'm a Change Management Lead for Cigna Healthcare.  I typically either lead the change management and business readiness workstream of major projects or in some cases am part of a team that does it.  Right now I'm working on a program integrating our Supplemental Health business into Cigna after we divested their parent company.  Out of a company of 73,000 or so I'm only one of maybe a dozen to fifteen people with my skill set and experience so we're in demand.  LOVE my job. 

I completely missed Nathalie's question! (but I saw Nicole's answer)

I'm a university anthropology professor--I study dead humans in all kinds of different ways. And...in my institution, I'm the ONLY person with my skill set (take that, Mike! :P ). I love parts of my job (mostly the parts that don't require interacting with administrators).

Edited by drfoodlove 2022-08-08 2:37 PM
2022-08-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

LOL, Gretchen.  I don't think there are that many of you globally.  Maybe on Ancient Aliens.  (I love that show by the way).

Back at it after a day off yesterday with a 35- minute VO2 max bike and some speed work (50 seconds at sub-8:00 x 4) on the treadmill.  I find pacing for intervals so much easier on the TM as I don't have a speed feel outdoors yet.  Tempo is fine but I think I'll overcook my shorter faster intervals because I used to be a 400 meter runner. 

I just signed up for a 5K race in a couple of weeks.  A whole $5 entry fee...now that's what I'm talking about!  I think it's a hilly course so probably not a great test but we'll see.  Also doing a ramp test which you all know I hate and a swim TT that week. 

2022-08-09 1:46 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
$5 entry fee!?!?!?! SIGN ME UP!!!! I'll, of course, spend the several hundred dollars in gas and hotel fees to get to said 5k! :P

Today was a one hour bike followed by a 40' run. I bricked them, although I probably wasn't supposed to. I only had a relatively small window between rain storms, so I packed as much in as I could. I walked in the door and about three minutes later the sky opened up and dumped rain on us for about 10'. Now it is all done...just humid as heck.

Taper crazies are intermittent at this point. Yesterday I managed to actually work on a research paper I've been thinking about for a year plus all day. Ten hours of concentration...it was amazing. Today...well....today hasn't gone so well in the job related duties department (I mean...technically speaking, we are in intersession, so I don't have any job related duties right now, but it is when most faculty get most of their research work done). Today I've putzed about with race related things. I changed the batteries in my powermeter, headlamp, and light vest for the race. I did my workouts. I got a haircut (less hair=lighter=faster up those hills!) and I went and bought my wife an umbrella she can attach to her camp chair so she doesn't melt in the sun at MiTi. Of course...as of this morning, there is an 86% chance of rain on Sunday, but the temp is going to be high of 80F. I will swim and ride in the rain any day for that temp!! I do hope it is done raining by the time I get to the run though...soggy shoes sucks. Fun fact...last time I did MiTi (the half aquabike), it hailed on us at the far end of the bike course and then a major storm blew through that area with lightening, thunder, and 30+mph winds that gusted up to 50+mph and blew me into traffic more than once. At the race venue though, it didn't even rain. I had bruises the size of fists on my back and thighs from the hail. Here's hoping we don't get a repeat of that!
2022-08-10 9:25 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Brick of 40' bike/30' run this morning. Both went okay--too short for anything to really go horribly wrong. Afterwards, I washed my bike and water bottles and now I have to collect my random gear from around the house to pack. We leave tomorrow morning after my swim!

2022-08-10 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Brick of 40' bike/30' run this morning. Both went okay--too short for anything to really go horribly wrong. Afterwards, I washed my bike and water bottles and now I have to collect my random gear from around the house to pack. We leave tomorrow morning after my swim!

Exciting!  Countdown to race day is awesome.  I still have 6+ weeks. 

Training is really progressing for me - had a good rep session on the treadmill yesterday, a pretty good swim this morning and a good 75' bike this afternoon.  Easy day tomorrow with a short run.  We leave for Cancun on Saturday so I'll be very run and some swim-focused.  IIRC the pool is like bath water so if the ocean is calm enough we can get in an OWS or two.

2022-08-11 1:11 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Exciting!  Countdown to race day is awesome. 

Personally, I am not a fan, I ALWAYS feel like I am coming down with a cold a few days before a race I’m looking forward to: itchy throat, light headed, etc.
First time it happened I didn’t race.
Then I learned to recognize the symptoms but there is still some doubt in my mind every effing time, maybe I am really getting sick this time?

Anybody else gets this?

Today, an early swim for me as me and hubby are leaving at 10am to go and play golf somewhere.

2022-08-11 7:14 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I completely missed Nathalie's question! (but I saw Nicole's answer)

I'm a university anthropology professor--I study dead humans in all kinds of different ways. And...in my institution, I'm the ONLY person with my skill set (take that, Mike! :P ). I love parts of my job (mostly the parts that don't require interacting with administrators).

We're not all bad
2022-08-11 7:15 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

LOL, Gretchen.  I don't think there are that many of you globally.  Maybe on Ancient Aliens.  (I love that show by the way).

Back at it after a day off yesterday with a 35- minute VO2 max bike and some speed work (50 seconds at sub-8:00 x 4) on the treadmill.  I find pacing for intervals so much easier on the TM as I don't have a speed feel outdoors yet.  Tempo is fine but I think I'll overcook my shorter faster intervals because I used to be a 400 meter runner. 

I just signed up for a 5K race in a couple of weeks.  A whole $5 entry fee...now that's what I'm talking about!  I think it's a hilly course so probably not a great test but we'll see.  Also doing a ramp test which you all know I hate and a swim TT that week. 

Where is this?!
2022-08-11 7:20 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, those focus days are amazing! I also felt pretty focused yesterday, although not for 10 hours, that sounds epic. Good luck this weekend!!!

Nathalie, enjoy the golf!

I got in a 30 minute run on Tuesday, and played 2 hours of grass doubles vball in "feels like 106 degrees" weather, although we were lucky enough to get a couple clouds so it really wasn't too horrible. Felt a bit run down yesterday so decided to take it as a rest day, though I had a nice hour long walk with a colleague that afternoon. Did a 45 min PZ endurance ride this morning followed by 10 minutes of yoga that was much needed.

2022-08-11 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e

Where is this?!

https://www.charmcityrun.com/calendar/family-fun-field-day-5k

I donated another $5 plus the runsignup fee, so it's was more like $12 all-in.  You can pay extra for the t-shirt but I don't like it (I wish you could make that choice with all races - while I have some REALLY cool swag t-shirts, some are just hideous or of very low quality).

2022-08-11 7:45 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl
Originally posted by jmhpsu93 Exciting!  Countdown to race day is awesome. 
Personally, I am not a fan, I ALWAYS feel like I am coming down with a cold a few days before a race I’m looking forward to: itchy throat, light headed, etc. First time it happened I didn’t race. Then I learned to recognize the symptoms but there is still some doubt in my mind every effing time, maybe I am really getting sick this time? Anybody else gets this? Today, an early swim for me as me and hubby are leaving at 10am to go and play golf somewhere.

I get this even during recovery weeks or when I ramp down training off season, so yes.  Taper madness!!

2022-08-11 10:32 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
1 step forward, another one back.

The cough has made a comeback this week. Not sure if it's a new one, or week 5 of the old one. But not great. Mondays zwift my HR was a good 15bpm higher than it should have been, not a great sign. Then I spent the next day hacking up nastys like a dedicated smoker, so a couple of days no exercise. It does now feel like it's passing, so I'm hoping on getting some workouts over the weekend and not a total write off for the week.

Gretchen You must be on your way to the race site by now. Wishing you the best of luck, especially for the weather! My final bits of advice, take it easy, easier than you think, if you do your legs will thank you in the final 10 miles. Try not to get overwhelmed, the distances are big if you stand on the beach and think how far till the end of the run it can seem impossible. So in your head break things up into chunks. 1 lap at a time, from 1 aid station to the next, and by the end of the marathon 1 lamppost to the next

And above all enjoy the day! you only get one first time. You've done all the hard work already, Sunday is your victory lap. Make the most of it.

Is there live timing or anything so we can live vicariously through you?

Have a good weekend all
2022-08-12 4:57 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Sorry to hear the cough is back Andrew, so frustrating!

Yes, I’d be interested in following you Gretchen, please share a link if you can.

The golf was great, played my best round so far this year.

Off for a ”long” ride now (about a quarter the distance Gretchen is going to ride tomorrow, samdwiched between a swim and a marathon).

Have a great weekend all!
2022-08-12 6:13 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
We’re in Michigan for race!!!!! Ok…yes, we are early. It is Friday and race is Sunday. I planned it this way so I could have the best chance of sleeping well the night before the race. I need to be comfortable in a place before I sleep well, and that takes a couple of nights. On tap today is a lot of not much—going to go buy myself a couple of new pairs of pants for work (not much shopping in our town) and then preview the bike and run courses. I’ve ridden the bike course before, but never checked out the run course. Tomorrow is practice swim and packet pickup. Then, packing my race bags with ALL THE STUFF!!! As I was packing the car I wondered how a sport where you wear so little clothing can require so much stuff to participate in!?!

Race uses Sportstats and will be live streaming! I’ll post info on Saturday after I get checked in and bib number and such. Thanks everyone for all the support and advice! I’m definitely going to enjoy this. My two goals are to 1.) finish and 2.) have fun. That’s it—anything else is gravy.

2022-08-12 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good luck this weekend, Gretchen.   We'll definitely be checking in on your progress Sunday.

Got in a tempo run yesterday and I woke up this morning really stiff after sleeping like crap, so I toned down my easy run to a treadmill run/walk for 20 minutes and then did my legs routine at the Y, which helped a bunch.  I have a 1200 time trial in the pool tomorrow morning and a over-under bike workout before we head to the airport and Mexico. 

@Andrew - man it sounds like you need winter to be over and get some sun.  Being sick for that long sucks. 

2022-08-12 12:43 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Eek Gretchen! Excellent goals! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Andrew, so sorry to hear you're still not feeling well!

Mike, have so much fun in Mexico. Super jealous.

I had a celebration with my trivia team yesterday so was feeling a little rough this morning. Still made it out for my interval workout, but there was walking between intervals, and a nice walking cool down. Still glad I got out and got moving.
2022-08-13 6:12 AM
in reply to: #5282273

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All!

One more day!

Race is being live streamed at:
https://www.livefilming.com/family-of-michigan-titanium
Password: Titan

Or you can track at www.sportstats.ca. Bib #8051

An overnight upwelling event (don’t really know what that is, I heard it on the news) caused a bunch of loca lakes to drop 30F degrees overnight. Some of the ones they listed were at 45-60F water temps this morning. Brrrr!!! Certainly is going to be wetsuit legal! No word on race lake temp yet…ows at 10:30. Glad I brought both my wetsuit and my floaty pants only.

Things are very real this morning. I’m excited…and ready.
2022-08-13 7:56 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Hi All!

One more day!

Race is being live streamed at:
https://www.livefilming.com/family-of-michigan-titanium
Password: Titan

Or you can track at www.sportstats.ca. Bib #8051

An overnight upwelling event (don’t really know what that is, I heard it on the news) caused a bunch of loca lakes to drop 30F degrees overnight. Some of the ones they listed were at 45-60F water temps this morning. Brrrr!!! Certainly is going to be wetsuit legal! No word on race lake temp yet…ows at 10:30. Glad I brought both my wetsuit and my floaty pants only.

Things are very real this morning. I’m excited…and ready.

Go Gretchen Go! We’re all behind you!

Brrr! That’s cold, even for me! Hope the temperature goes up again!

2022-08-14 3:50 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Can anybody see Gretchens tracking? When I go to the sportsstats.ca it says bib 8051 is not assigned to the race. Most likely operator error on my part.

Facebook says the winners for the full distance finished about an hour ago in 7:45, so she should be out there plugging away, probably close to the end of the bike?

2022-08-14 7:03 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The cough has disappeared again. Hopefully that's the end of it for this winter (but with 2 little ones at school/kindy not holding my breath)

Finished off the week better than I started it. 2 more zwift rides (3 total for the week), 2 easy paced runs over the weekend. 2 hours 45 total for the week. Not what planned, but in the ballpark of what the last fortnight has been, so could have been worse.

Hoping for another tentative step forwards this week.

GO GRETCHEN!!
2022-08-15 12:20 AM
in reply to: #5282295

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi all! Thanks for the support! I finished!! 16:xx:xx—I have to look at some point, but I’m too damn tired! I won my division, so I’m the Athena 40+ National Champion!!

I’ll write up a full race report soon, but I’ll give you a spoiler—it involves getting kicked in the face at 0:43 into the swim and a LOT of ugly crying.
2022-08-15 12:37 AM
in reply to: #5282311

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
I know it's not the right brand, but...
Congratulations IRONMAN!
now go enjoy your post race beers ??
2022-08-15 4:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Congratulations Gretchen! Can’t wait to read your report!

I couldn’t track you either, there was 0 participants on that link.

Hope this is the end of the cough now Andrew, it’s been going on for too long!

I had a good week

2 swims (1700 m)
1 ride (50k)
3 runs (30k)
1 short brwim (20 min each sport)
27 holes of golf

Today is rest day, tomorrow easy/recovery brwim and on Wednesday evening,, doing a mini (520/18/4.2) on the site of an Ironman taking place this weekend. Should be fun.

Have a great week!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-15 4:16 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43