BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2022-08-15 6:59 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

For what it's worth folks, I couldn't make the tracking work either.  Congratulations, Gretchen!!  Can't wait to read your always excellent race report.

Down here in Mexico and started with a long brisk walk and a short swim in the 92 degree resort pool.  No OWS right now as the sargassum seaweed is out of control here right now, like totally covering the surface of the water out a couple of hundred yards.  Blech!

Playing it by ear all week but will get in some swims and runs plus they have the spin bikes Ilike here.

2022-08-15 10:13 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Gretchen that is AMAZING! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Absolutely cannot wait to read your report. Sounds like it was very challenging mentally (and of course physically, but ouchie on the kick in the face!), but you pushed through and killed it! Eek, can't wait for more! How did your wife like the event? What did she do with herself while you were out on the bike and run?
2022-08-15 10:32 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I went swimming finally!
Saturday morning I made it to masters practice. The coach was pissed b/c they had had a party at the pool the night before. They didn't clean up (toys in the pool and just a general mess), nor did they put the lane lines in. She made an awesome workout though. Lots of 25s, which I love. The water has been pretty warm lately (we are outdoor in the summer, and it's been so hot) so she didn't want people to overheat doing longer stuff. I will do 25s all day every day, so I loved it. I think I got in close to 1800 yards. This was also my first workout with my watch and I LOVE it. It automatically tracks intervals so I don't have to remember to start and stop my watch.

Got in a 30 minute ride yesterday before heading up to PA to go to HersheyPark and the Zac Brown Band concert. Hersheypark was PACKED, so we only rode 4 rides, but the concert was AMAZING (I've seen them a bunch and this was easily their best concert ever, which is saying a lot), and it was a beautiful day/night. Gonna try to get a run in today but it's rainy and I am waiting for my laundry to be done so I actually have clothes to wear
2022-08-15 10:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Well I'm glad that I'm not the only one who couldn't get the tracker to work. I'm old, but I'm too young to be letting technology get that confusing for me

Nathalie Nice balanced week of training, goo job

Mike Enjoy your time on holiday. The seaweed sounds quite unpleasant. Hopefully it clears up a bit for you

Nicole Nice job getting to the pool. 1800m sounds like a lot of 25 lengths. Good job getting it done.

Gretchen Another one looking forward to reading your race report. Hope you're resting up and recovering well, and injury/blister/sunburn free after the big day.

For myself, a Z2 zwift Monday after kids bedtime, and a short easy jog this morning to kick off my week. Sounds like everyone is having a good one.
2022-08-16 1:32 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, nice job working around the kiddos!

And yes, it was a lot of 25s. There were a couple 75s too, but the main set was 6 25s on 40 seconds, then 4 on 35 seconds, then we had 1:10 rest. They did this 5 times, though I had to leave after 3 (I was actually really bummed b/c I was feeling so good).

Didn't end up running yesterday. I went to babysit my nephew and we took a long walk. Had a great run this morning though! Strongest I have felt in a long time. I'm doing a running program through Garmin and these run walks have been 2 miles plus warm up and cool down. I didn't look closely, and turned out today's was 4 miles! I went a little shorter b/c my watch died, but felt awesome! Right around 8:50 pace. Start to feel more confident for this tri in October since I was feeling before as though I wasn't improving much.
2022-08-17 3:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Well done on the Masters NicoleI like 25s too, it’s like short running intervals, I can keep my focus that long, anything over 30 seconds, I get ”bored”

Glad you enjoyed the concert. I have 4 concerts Iined in the next few months I am really looking forward to. Live music is hard ro beat.

Hope the seawweed situation is improving Mike.

Back on track (again) it seems Andrew!

Race day (well, evening) for me. Haven’t SRB since Monday (instead, I took the Teenager golfing, it was fun that he wanted to do something with me for a change).

The plan is to have fun and not collapse on the run like I did last time. It’s easily the biggest race I’ve ever done, about 600 people. Should be fun!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-18 3:48 AM

2022-08-17 7:34 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
How'd the race go, Nat?!

2022-08-17 4:18 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by nicole14e

How'd the race go, Nat?!

It went well, I had fun and didn’t give up on the run. Time 1:09 (I think my goal,was 1:10 so I’m happy)

Big crowds cheering you on is something I could get used to!

Race report coming tomorrow.

2022-08-18 12:59 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Rollergirl

How'd the race go, Nat?!

It went well, I had fun and didn’t give up on the run. Time 1:09 (I think my goal,was 1:10 so I’m happy)

Glad to hear it went well!!
2022-08-18 1:01 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm finally getting back into a routine of sorts! Swim yesterday (Wednesday) after an AWFUL drive home on Tuesday. Today I went for a short walk and then took my dog for an even shorter walk (she is old and disabled now...she is lucky if she can go 0.25 miles to the end of the road).

I finally managed to type up a race report. It is long--and hopefully using the link below should get anyone access if they want to read it. It was too long to put in BT's report sections...or I was just too lazy to try to do it that way.

https://saluki-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/gdabbs_siu_edu/ES1M8...

2022-08-18 2:56 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm finally getting back into a routine of sorts! Swim yesterday (Wednesday) after an AWFUL drive home on Tuesday. Today I went for a short walk and then took my dog for an even shorter walk (she is old and disabled now...she is lucky if she can go 0.25 miles to the end of the road).

I finally managed to type up a race report. It is long--and hopefully using the link below should get anyone access if they want to read it. It was too long to put in BT's report sections...or I was just too lazy to try to do it that way.

GRETCHEN! Oh my gosh I had so much fun reading this race report. I laughed out loud, I teared up a little at the end, and got chills! Sounds like an emotional day and I think it's so amazing (but also not at all surprising b/c you ARE The Machine!) that you were able to crush it. I can't wait until the day you are ready to share all the photos but seriously, way to push through. Obviously the physical part is intense, but I'm sure the mental part really takes a toll too. That's a lot of time for your brain to overthink and try to convince you to stop. I love that you made it a point in the beginning to recognize that you WOULD finish, that you did the work and it was going to pay off. I'm sure that was a big part of you finishing, along with Chrissie, John, and all those loved ones of other people who probably witnessed them putting in the work as well! Events like this really tend to bring out the best in people.

Way to go. Champ! Let us know when you officially decide to go to Ibiza...(notice I said when, not if. )

2022-08-18 2:56 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

How'd the race go, Nat?!

Sounds fun, can't wait!
2022-08-18 3:33 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Thanks for the novel! I enjoyed reading it very much (and also, it comforted me in my decision not to do a full IM, ever)

I enjoyed reading about snorkel man and vasectomy guy.

Congratulations on becoming National champion and of course you will go to Ibiza

Thanks for the mention for this little group at the end!

2022-08-18 9:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Loved the feature length race report Gretchen. Great job on the writing and the race.

You had your challenges out there, but you met them all and got it done.

I disagree with Nathalie tho, reading that makes me want to do another Ironman more, not cure me of wanting to do them. The emotional highs and lows you go through is just an amazing experience. Especially the middle of the night finish, coming around the last corner into the finish chute, lights and music pumping... There is nothing else like it. Somewhat addictive.

As for Ibiza... I'm not sure what the financial/time away situation is like. But being selected for a national team sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. You know you want to. (Pending ministry of wife approval of course)

P.S. Your bike photo gives me wheel envy.

2022-08-19 3:08 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

I disagree with Nathalie tho, reading that makes me want to do another Ironman more, not cure me of wanting to do them. The emotional highs and lows you go through is just an amazing experience. Especially the middle of the night finish, coming around the last corner into the finish chute, lights and music pumping... There is nothing else like it. Somewhat addictive.

That's what it's like with great litterature, you get what you need from it

2022-08-19 3:08 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Here's my short (by Gretchen standards, but then again, everything I do is short by her standards ) report for my sprint on Wednesday.

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-20 9:57 AM

2022-08-19 7:49 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Here's my short (by Gretchen standards, but then again, everything I do is short by her standards ) report for my sprint on Wednesday.

https://beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=291580

ouch! I mean, totally fair, but ouch! :D
2022-08-19 7:57 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hit the pool this morning and did 1900m, which mostly felt pretty good. The kick set was kinda brutal though.

There have been some serious discussions about Ibiza already (and I haven't even officially gotten my invitation yet!) My wife is 100% encouraging me to do it. I have minor reservations, given that 1.) I don't want to do another full right now and 2.) I'm supposed to be in Egypt for a fellowship from Oct 2022 to July 2023, so I'm not sure if I can get the necessary training in. I don't even know where to begin to think about it either. I emailed the Egyptian Triathlon Foundation to see if they had any suggestions, but I'm not really hopeful. I also have to check with the people hosting my fellowship if it is okay for me to leave Egypt during the fellowship period--shouldn't be a problem, but there are issues with visas and such that could make it difficult.
2022-08-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: #5278903

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Anyone else having trouble accessing Nathalie’s race report? I click on the link and it takes me to a log in screen. I’m already logged in. If I log in on that screen, it just takes me back to the main page…and repeat the whole process again. What am I doing wrong?

No SBR for me today I’m going sky diving!
2022-08-20 9:59 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Anyone else having trouble accessing Nathalie’s race report? I click on the link and it takes me to a log in screen. I’m already logged in. If I log in on that screen, it just takes me back to the main page…and repeat the whole process again. What am I doing wrong?

No SBR for me today I’m going sky diving!

I think it was me who put the wrong link. I have edited it now, is this better?

https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

OMG Sky diving! Enjoy!

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-20 9:59 AM
2022-08-21 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove Anyone else having trouble accessing Nathalie’s race report? I click on the link and it takes me to a log in screen. I’m already logged in. If I log in on that screen, it just takes me back to the main page…and repeat the whole process again. What am I doing wrong? No SBR for me today I’m going sky diving!
I think it was me who put the wrong link. I have edited it now, is this better? https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... OMG Sky diving! Enjoy!

Works for me, Nathalie. 

2022-08-21 4:34 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nathalie Nice job on your sprint tri. Good to see you're happy with your result and able to keep the pace up on the run

Gretchen 1900 swim followed by a sky dive? (pictures required for that too BTW) Good to see you're taking it nice, easy and relaxed after your Ironman. Haha. If not another full distance, what is next on your todo list?

Me Finished off the week strongly. 4 rides, 3 runs, 3 hours 45 total for the week. Another small step forwards on the rebuilding program. After 4 weeks bouncing around the 3 hour mark. The plan for the next couple of weeks is to take another hesitant step forwards and get up to around 5 hours/week.

Have a good weekend BDAS'ers
2022-08-22 6:13 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Happy New Week Everyone!

Gretchen, how was the jump? Did you land OK?
Andrew, let's hope this time you can up the volume without more bouts of sickness
Mike, are you back from vacation?

Back at work for me so less time to train. Oh well, never mind

2nd A race on Saturday. My home race. Transition is 900m from my house and the run passes in front of it and all my fans (ie, my dog, if the balcony door is open) can cheer me on.

I was planning on winning it, as I did 4 years ago but noticed one girl I kind of know and who is faster than me (7 minutes on the mini-tri I did last week) has signed up for the sprint. How dare she? It's MY race. LOL.

Considered switching to the Oly as I know I don't have a chance in hell to win so am less likely to give up when people pass me but decided to stick to the sprint and work on my willpower and break my PR instead.

Edited by Rollergirl 2022-08-22 6:50 AM
2022-08-22 9:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Happy New Week Everyone!

Gretchen, how was the jump? Did you land OK?
Andrew, let's hope this time you can up the volume without more bouts of sickness
Mike, are you back from vacation?

Back at work for me so less time to train. Oh well, never mind

2nd A race on Saturday. My home race. Transition is 900m from my house and the run passes in front of it and all my fans (ie, my dog, if the balcony door is open) can cheer me on.

I was planning on winning it, as I did 4 years ago but noticed one girl I kind of know and who is faster than me (7 minutes on the mini-tri I did last week) has signed up for the sprint. How dare she? It's MY race. LOL.

Considered switching to the Oly as I know I don't have a chance in hell to win so am less likely to give up when people pass me but decided to stick to the sprint and work on my willpower and break my PR instead.

You got this! Do it for your dog!!
2022-08-22 9:10 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a pretty low key weekend, which was VERY needed. After taking a couple rest days last week, I ran Friday, including some hills, went to masters Saturday (my watch says I did 2250m but I was in a yard pool and we did a lot of kicking, which I don't know if it picks up on all the time), and did a bike boot camp class yesterday. It was raining this morning, but I'm going to try to run over lunch today. Also cleaned a lot and no longer feel like my house/life is in utter chaos.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 43