BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-05-24 6:40 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by Hot Runner So sorry about your Chatt experience! It's my "gut feeling" (sorry....bad pun) that if the issue developed that early on the bike, it probably wasn't your race nutrition or hydration or the heat. More likely an illness or something with pre-race food or hydration. For what it's worth, after getting what appeared to be food poisoning or a stomach bug the year that Worlds were held at Chatt (it developed on my second day there, two days before the race, so could have been something I picked up locally, or in transit, or during a few days that I spent with Mom in San Francisco en route to the race), I came upon a lot of comments in online forums about athletes and other visitors picking up similar bugs there around that time. A common pattern seemed to be eating in the downtown area. There were some places mentioned repeatedly, including an ice cream place (I think Ben and Jerry's?) that I did patronize once pre-race before getting sick. There were a number of others listed that were not places I'd eaten at. Not sure that is still going on but something to consider. Tummy bugs do tend to go around faster in hot, humid weather and when large numbers of people are gathering. Not sure about the cleanliness of the river (as I recall we were told to jump off the dock and swim towards a factory??) but as I got sick before ever getting in it, it couldn't have been the cause in my case. I doubt it would cause effects that quickly. I've swum in yucky water many times in SE Asia; effects tend to be delayed by 12-36 hours and often are not what you expect--not necessarily GI issues (or only those) but sore throat, skin irritation, body aches, and other generalized stuff. My bet's on something you ate in the day or two before the race.

I agree, it was something(s) I ate the night before. Funny you mention Ben and Jerry's b/c that's where I got my ice cream! I don't think there was anything wrong with it though, just too much dairy for me since I do almost no dairy in real life!

2022-05-24 6:54 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

As Janyne posted I experienced nausea on the bike so that I really couldn’t stomach getting nutrition in. I’m not sure what the issue was bc it started very early so heat shouldn’t have been the issue. Plus, I train in Florida, so i should be used to that weather! Maybe I drank too much river water! Whatever, the cause I decided I couldn’t run so tapped out. Very disappointing of course. Other than a headache, I’m fine now.

A few thoughts about the parts of the race I did do- swim was an absolute cluster IMHO. They had signs up along the path we lined up on but they were really confusing as the first x number were from the full distance, so first one you saw said over 2 hours and then they went in 10 minute intervals, since you have 1:10 ( I think) to do the swim those signs made no sense and no one explained them. As you got closer they switched to 70.3 signs and made sense. Of course no one paid any attention to them and people pushed themselves to the front. I don’t know why they don’t put speakers down the path so we all could here all the stuff being said by the RD all morning. You had to be almost at the start before you could hear. Maybe it’s a noise issue for the neighborhood, but some sort of way to tell people what was going on and maybe explain the signs would be helpful.

The swim was a cluster when we did it in 2019 as well. I didn't think that it was that bad when I did the full (the one with the swim in 2016). For the half in 2019 it was -- unsanitary as well. The closer I got to the start, the more urine was on the sidewalk. It felt super gross to me even pre-pandemic!

I started about an hour after the first AGer. I passed a lot of people and I’m a slow swimmer, so yeah, lots of dummies.  I also swam over 500 yards longer than the course bc I swam toward the middle of the river to get the current and I don’t swim straight! Worked well until I reached the first of 3 bridges and apparently hit some eddy or weird current that made it like an endless pool. I was NOT moving at all. Finally figured out I needed to move over and things picked up again! With my added yards my pace was 1:31/ 100. So definitely a current assist swim!

This race was the North American World Championship, so lots of pros here. On my way out on the bike, maybe mile 12 the lead men were going in! First place make finished in 3:37! First woman 4:02! Crazy fast even with a long course .

Lisa and I met in transition this morning. She noticed me as I walked by her completely oblivious. So a quick Manatee meetup! 

I'm glad that you had a chance to see each other, even though it was brief.

2022-05-24 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer

As Janyne posted I experienced nausea on the bike so that I really couldn’t stomach getting nutrition in. I’m not sure what the issue was bc it started very early so heat shouldn’t have been the issue. Plus, I train in Florida, so i should be used to that weather! Maybe I drank too much river water! Whatever, the cause I decided I couldn’t run so tapped out. Very disappointing of course. Other than a headache, I’m fine now.

A few thoughts about the parts of the race I did do- swim was an absolute cluster IMHO. They had signs up along the path we lined up on but they were really confusing as the first x number were from the full distance, so first one you saw said over 2 hours and then they went in 10 minute intervals, since you have 1:10 ( I think) to do the swim those signs made no sense and no one explained them. As you got closer they switched to 70.3 signs and made sense. Of course no one paid any attention to them and people pushed themselves to the front. I don’t know why they don’t put speakers down the path so we all could here all the stuff being said by the RD all morning. You had to be almost at the start before you could hear. Maybe it’s a noise issue for the neighborhood, but some sort of way to tell people what was going on and maybe explain the signs would be helpful. I started about an hour after the first AGer. I passed a lot of people and I’m a slow swimmer, so yeah, lots of dummies.  I also swam over 500 yards longer than the course bc I swam toward the middle of the river to get the current and I don’t swim straight! Worked well until I reached the first of 3 bridges and apparently hit some eddy or weird current that made it like an endless pool. I was NOT moving at all. Finally figured out I needed to move over and things picked up again! With my added yards my pace was 1:31/ 100. So definitely a current assist swim!

This race was the North American World Championship, so lots of pros here. On my way out on the bike, maybe mile 12 the lead men were going in! First place make finished in 3:37! First woman 4:02! Crazy fast even with a long course .

Lisa and I met in transition this morning. She noticed me as I walked by her completely oblivious. So a quick Manatee meetup! 

I hope that you are feeling more yourself today.

I have a few questions for you to ponder. No need to reply in the forum!  I expect it was just a "thing" -- hopefully not a covid thing! -- but thought I'd throw some questions out there.

• What did you eat pre-race?  Was it your usual pre-race meal(s)? Did you practice this in for your long rides? Yes, normal pre-race food. The only thing that was potentially different was I had ice cream and at home I usually have yogurt-based ice cream. For out of town HM's I have had gelato the night before, but that is different from ice cream and it is a different race. So, this could be part of the issue.
  • Did you use your powermeter on the bike? Did you ride to your plan (Z2/Z3 NP?)? I tried to follow power numbers, but didn't watch it that closely. However, I made sure to spin up the non-stop hills. With the added wind it is possible numbers were a little high, but the nausea started by about mile 15 so I don't think this impacted my gut. It may have made the run even uglier than it would have been though!
  • Was your fueling plan HIM-spcific? 

If you apply an IM nutrition plan (~250cal/hr) to an HIM, you run the risk of having stomach problems because your intensity is much higher = your body is less able to process and absorb calories. For this reason

If you apply an IM nutrition plan (~250cal/hr) to an HIM, you run the risk of having stomach problems because your intensity is much higher = your body is less able to process and absorb calories. For this reason, you should fuel less for an HIM than an IM.  Interesting, I asked the nutritionist with CP about this and she said keep things the same. But see above for timing issues.

• When did you start eating/fueling on the bike? Did you give yourself 20-ish minutes at Z2 to settle down before trying to consume anything? This may have contributed as I realized with the long time to get into the water that I was probably down calories, so I ate my first bite about 10 minutes in. Just a small bite though.
  • Did you burp at any time on the bike? Burping = stop dial back the fueling Yep, burped. Started after I was already feeling badly and already not able to really eat.
  • Did you have anything while you were in line for the swim?  Banana? Gel? Water? Sports drink? No. Guess this was a mistake.
  • What did you have on the bike?  And you practiced it? I had to make my own uncrustables b/c they were sold out at the 2 Publix's in the area, but basically PB&J so easy to replicate. This is what I had been using for my long rides. After 2 hrs plan was to change to Scratch chews. See above for not really being able to eat. I was able to stomach  the chews better than the other, but I was shocked to see how much nutrition I still had left when I was unpacking things. I did suck down my electrolyte bottles. 
  • When did you prepare what you had on the bike? If it was bottles, where was it stored between prep and consumption (I had a teammate once who used UCAN, prepped it the night before, stored it in her car overnight (not in a cooler, either).  It did not go well the next day.) PB & J the night before, drinks the morning of.

I decided to answer your good questions out loud. I've been trying to figure out what went wrong since it went wrong and really haven't come up with a clear answer. The ice cream jumps out at me though. That on top of my regular pre-race pizza could have been too much dairy. I also found out that PB&J is fine on training rides but even before I started feeling bad I did not want to eat it! So, I need to re-think that too.

Of course this had me questioning IM Choo!

It's a puzzle, that's for sure!

Even if it was ice cream, 15+ hours later would that even be a thing?

I'm leaning down on water/calories  in the pre-swim timeframe.  Maybe something like a bottle of Skratch in the transition setup to pre-swim timeframe?  I just looked at my 2019 race plan and I ate a metric sh*t ton of food for breakfast (very early) before the race and then had a note to "Sip sports drink until 1 hour to go, then have 1/2 to 1 full Powerbar or other easily digestible calories." I think this was Nuun electrolytes and a Gu gel.

As we all know, race nutrition is super individualized.

2022-05-24 7:08 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Long time, no post, but I've been following along on through email. Between Jim, Lisa and Anne-Marie, it sure looks like some tough going out there. I hope eveyrone takes a bit of time to get things worked through, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Work has been a fecal festival and was supposed to ease up a bit but lo and behold, more changes and BS have hit, so I'll see how things shake out there. But I'll keep reading along, and please know that I am continuing to think about you all.

Thanks for checking in!

2022-05-24 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner So sorry about your Chatt experience! It's my "gut feeling" (sorry....bad pun) that if the issue developed that early on the bike, it probably wasn't your race nutrition or hydration or the heat. More likely an illness or something with pre-race food or hydration. For what it's worth, after getting what appeared to be food poisoning or a stomach bug the year that Worlds were held at Chatt (it developed on my second day there, two days before the race, so could have been something I picked up locally, or in transit, or during a few days that I spent with Mom in San Francisco en route to the race), I came upon a lot of comments in online forums about athletes and other visitors picking up similar bugs there around that time. A common pattern seemed to be eating in the downtown area. There were some places mentioned repeatedly, including an ice cream place (I think Ben and Jerry's?) that I did patronize once pre-race before getting sick. There were a number of others listed that were not places I'd eaten at. Not sure that is still going on but something to consider. Tummy bugs do tend to go around faster in hot, humid weather and when large numbers of people are gathering. Not sure about the cleanliness of the river (as I recall we were told to jump off the dock and swim towards a factory??) but as I got sick before ever getting in it, it couldn't have been the cause in my case. I doubt it would cause effects that quickly. I've swum in yucky water many times in SE Asia; effects tend to be delayed by 12-36 hours and often are not what you expect--not necessarily GI issues (or only those) but sore throat, skin irritation, body aches, and other generalized stuff. My bet's on something you ate in the day or two before the race.

I agree, it was something(s) I ate the night before. Funny you mention Ben and Jerry's b/c that's where I got my ice cream! I don't think there was anything wrong with it though, just too much dairy for me since I do almost no dairy in real life!

What I'm hearing is no Luigi's and no Ben & Jerry's before events in Chattanooga.

2022-05-24 7:39 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

What I'm hearing is no Luigi's and no Ben & Jerry's before events in Chattanooga.

LOL, there seems to be a theme!

2022-05-24 8:29 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

Long time, no post, but I've been following along on through email. Between Jim, Lisa and Anne-Marie, it sure looks like some tough going out there. I hope everyone takes a bit of time to get things worked through, mentally, physically, and emotionally.

Work has been a fecal festival and was supposed to ease up a bit but lo and behold, more changes and BS have hit, so I'll see how things shake out there. But I'll keep reading along, and please know that I am continuing to think about you all.

Races are always tough and this year has definitely reminded us of that.  I had a non-BT friend at the Chatty 70.3 take her first DNF.  It make me grateful that I have only done short races this year.

Chris, are you training for anything or is work keeping you too busy for much else right now?

2022-05-24 1:29 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by alaskatri
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Curtis - No Lable Sprint Triathlon Katy, TX

Anyone who is of my faith probably heard the October 2021 address at our World Wide General Conference that used “The Aggregation of Marginal Gains” method that turned around the British National Cycling program in 2003 as an example of how focusing on a whole bunch of little things can lead to big gains. 

If you've ever listened to the book Atomic Habits, it details the British Cycling Team and follows this mantra pretty heavily.

Does Atomic Habits list the areas of Cycling that the British National Team were measuring and improving by 1%?  I was curious about what they were improving.  That must be the book that was the source of information for the address I heard in October.  If I dig deeper I will look it up. I won't get too hung up on how they did things and how it worked.  I did change my whole focus though for this one race and instead of focusing on seeing gains in the area with the lowest fruit I focus on finding small gains everywhere.  If I didn't have previous results to compare to I wouldn't have done this.

It has been awhile since I listened to the audiobook, so I do not remember how far in depth they went with it. But it definitely lays out the concept of many small changes equating to great improvements pretty well.
2022-05-24 2:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think the deal for food poisoning or bad water is it tends to manifest 12-36 hours after it goes into your system. It can take that long to work its way through and cause trouble. Definitely I've become sick from something dodgy I ate on a trip, after I got back from said trip. The exception might be if you swallowed something like salt water, or oil (or, worse yet, salt water plus oil) on the swim. Been there, done that once. I puked at mile 4 or 5 of a 10K run after the swim (no bike); some people actually did so in transition. Yuck.

Chatt is not high on my list of races to do again at this point. This might be an unfair judgement, but since it's not anywhere close to Oregon and would cost an arm and a leg to go there, I'll stick with it!
2022-05-25 10:49 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
it's ironic we're talking about food poisoning - not in a good way.

We were in NYC this weekend for Bat Mitzvah and 2 people in our group (my husband was one) were up Sunday night (after we got home) with either that or a stomach flu. They each had symptoms from both lists (although very similar lists) and no one else got it.

We're going with food poisoning but still impossible to narrow down to things only the two of them ate. BUT there were 4 people in the car with the other person for 4 hours over 2 days so if it was a bug.....no one else got it?!

Anyway I hope everyone is healthy now and on to new things.

AM I try to stay away from anything I don't usually eat before a full - but I wouldn't have given a second thought to ice cream before a half. I think I'll skip the ben and jerry's and have yogurt after the race - cuz that's when I've earned it anyway :D

And Chatty isn't so bad - except for the HEAT and Barton Ave LOL!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2022-05-25 10:54 AM
2022-05-25 11:01 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk it's ironic we're talking about food poisoning - not in a good way. We were in NYC this weekend for Bat Mitzvah and 2 people in our group (my husband was one) were up Sunday night (after we got home) with either that or a stomach flu. They each had symptoms from both lists (although very similar lists) and no one else got it. We're going with food poisoning but still impossible to narrow down to things only the two of them ate. BUT there were 4 people in the car with the other person for 4 hours over 2 days so if it was a bug.....no one else got it?! Anyway I hope everyone is healthy now and on to new things. AM I try to stay away from anything I don't usually eat before a full - but I wouldn't have given a second thought to ice cream before a half. I think I'll skip the ben and jerry's and have yogurt after the race - cuz that's when I've earned it anyway :D And Chatty isn't so bad - except for the HEAT and Barton Ave LOL!

Sorry your husband got food poisoning or whatever it is that made him sick! 

I agree, I'm much more careful before a full than half - but if I ever do another half that will change!

I also agree that heat and Barton (and Hixon) make the full something special!

2022-05-26 7:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am so excited that the Manatees may add two more dogs to our mix soon!

Lisa may adopt a second dachshund to join her and Ellie Mae.

Jen's family is picking up a lab puppy within the next month.

What fun!

2022-05-26 8:33 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

What fun!

Pics.
2022-05-26 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

What fun!

Love it!

2022-05-26 1:19 PM

User image

Expert

What fun!

Love it!

Great to hear we will have more fur friends. The manatee is the dog of the sea. Right?
2022-05-26 1:27 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella

What fun!

Love it!

Great to hear we will have more fur friends. The manatee is the dog of the sea. Right?

Well, sea lions.  I think that Manatees are sea cows?  But we like dogs so we can go with that

2022-05-27 11:24 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Popping in for a quick proof of life.  I've been crazy busy these past few weeks but am still among the living and the manatees.  

I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday (for the US manatees) weekend!!

2022-05-27 4:16 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

May 28-30
Jim - Holy Spokes ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

Happy Memorial Day to the US-based Manatees!

2022-05-27 4:22 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

May 28-30
Jim - Holy Spokes ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Holy Spokes! Go Jim!!

2022-05-27 4:29 PM

Racing Manatees!!!

May 28-30
Jim - Holy Spokes ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day!!!

I am hoping to get out and play some golf, and maybe get down to the boat and get out for some halibut with my daughter. She's just got a couple months until she leaves for college, so I'd like to fish with her as much as possible. We've had a rough couple weeks. We got her graduated and had all the grandparents in. A couple days after graduation, my dad fell on my deck. He has depth perception issues, and ended up walking right off a step. He knew it was there, but is 81 and forgets. That landed him at the ER and he ended up breaking a bone in his neck (odontoid fracture). So we spent several days taking care of him. Then some of our company that came to celebrate passed a pretty nasty bug on to me, so I've been off for two days pretty sick with a virus (not covid). Back to work today and still recovering, but definitely hoping to get out this weekend to do some outdoors stuff again.
2022-05-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Expert
Originally posted by alaskatri

Racing Manatees!!!

May 28-30
Jim - Holy Spokes ride

Doooo eeeettttt!!!!!!

Happy Memorial Day!!!

I am hoping to get out and play some golf, and maybe get down to the boat and get out for some halibut with my daughter. She's just got a couple months until she leaves for college, so I'd like to fish with her as much as possible. We've had a rough couple weeks. We got her graduated and had all the grandparents in. A couple days after graduation, my dad fell on my deck. He has depth perception issues, and ended up walking right off a step. He knew it was there, but is 81 and forgets. That landed him at the ER and he ended up breaking a bone in his neck (odontoid fracture). So we spent several days taking care of him. Then some of our company that came to celebrate passed a pretty nasty bug on to me, so I've been off for two days pretty sick with a virus (not covid). Back to work today and still recovering, but definitely hoping to get out this weekend to do some outdoors stuff again.

Sounds like a rough time.
We cancelled our plans to go help my in-laws. Nobody teaches you how to parent your parents. My mother in law's dementia is advancing and my 83 yo father in law is the primary care giver. It is getting tough and she is not advanced enough for nursing care. We had to made some really difficult medical decisions this past week, and that really hit him hard. Quality of life vs extending life stuff. Primary goal is to give him a break and and do some chores around their house.

2022-05-29 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5279172

In case anyone is interested, REI is currently having their anniversary sale. 20% off coupon off any item, plus some other pretty good deals. I finally pulled the trigger on a Garmin watch.
2022-05-30 7:09 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alaskatri In case anyone is interested, REI is currently having their anniversary sale. 20% off coupon off any item, plus some other pretty good deals. I finally pulled the trigger on a Garmin watch.

Congrats on joining the Garmin crowd! Which one did you get?

2022-05-30 7:50 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

What fun!

Pics.

Yes! Black lab puppy joining our house mid-month. It's really coming up! should be lots of fun - and i do mean that. Puppies are work but not the same as babies. LOL! Maybe in the future it will be running buddy ... we shall see. 

2022-05-30 5:05 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Cypress, Texas

I did the running club group run on Saturday.  Most of the crew were out of town so the typical group of 8-10 was a skeleton crew of four.  Everyone is on their own training schedule so long runs don't always line up.  I can't remember when I last did a real long run (6 weeks ago?  More?) or how far I went so I figured that 10-12 would be plenty for me.  They other guys were going 16-17 miles so I ended up doing 14 miles.  I always seem to end up doing something between what I should be doing and what everyone else is doing when I show up for a group run with out a firm training plan.  So...the knees ballooned up and my legs are now pretty stiff.

I wanted to do a longer but easier effort bike for Memorial Day.  My family want to go hike a state park early in the day before It got hot so I didn't get my morning ride.  When got home around 11 AM and it was already getting hot so instead of a bike ride I went to the gym and got in a longer but easier swim instead.  If I counted laps correctly (that would take a miracle) I would have been a done 2,500 yds.  The GPS however got me at 3,200 yards. That would probably be my all time longest swim ever (previous distance record is 3,000 yds).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27144 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93