BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-06-13 2:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them. what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmete... Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

I don't recall what the rate was, but it wasn't just rate that got the swim canceled, it was elevated bacteria rates and tree limbs!

I'll see if I can find something about the rate, but based upon Janyne's post that rate is super high. 

It occurred to me that we were just looking at two points, really, July 2021 vs now.  What if last July was extremely low?  Well July 2020 had a discharge rate in the in the 7500 range so that 's not the case and July 2019 was in the high 6000 range so nope, 2022 is really high/fast.

Not sure how to interpret this but here you go

https://mediterraswim.com/swim-training/willamette-river-swim-clinics/

Prepare for your upcoming Oregon 70.3 IM race. Our triathlon and local (river) experienced ow coaches and staff will guide you along the technical dynamics of the Willamette River from race start to finish. In an exploratory, non-competitive atmosphere, experience the entry, the (mild) rapids, current assist, and navigation on this course. Previous participants have found this to be an extremely valuable opportunity, boosting their confidence on race day.

Extend your preparations this day with LifeSport Coaching’s 70.3 Oregon Clinic, which will include course preview of the bike and run legs, as well as discussion on nutrition, hydration, pacing, and mental preparation. This clinic will start immediately after the swim.

Dates and Times

Saturday, June 18 / CANCELLED due to rough river conditions

Saturday, June 25 / CANCELLED due to rough river conditions

An alternative ow clinic will be held each morning at Turner Lake for those registered already.

If they are canceling that far in advanced I'd say the river is crazy! But you've got a month, so hopefully that will change.

Edited by amd723 2022-06-13 3:03 PM

2022-06-13 3:24 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them. what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmeter_cd... Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

I don't recall what the rate was, but it wasn't just rate that got the swim canceled, it was elevated bacteria rates and tree limbs!

I'll see if I can find something about the rate, but based upon Janyne's post that rate is super high. 

It occurred to me that we were just looking at two points, really, July 2021 vs now.  What if last July was extremely low?  Well July 2020 had a discharge rate in the in the 7500 range so that 's not the case and July 2019 was in the high 6000 range so nope, 2022 is really high/fast.

Prepare for your upcoming Oregon 70.3 IM race. Our triathlon and local (river) experienced ow coaches and staff will guide you along the technical dynamics of the Willamette River from race start to finish. In an exploratory, non-competitive atmosphere, experience the entry, the (mild) rapids, current assist, and navigation on this course. Previous participants have found this to be an extremely valuable opportunity, boosting their confidence on race day.

Extend your preparations this day with LifeSport Coaching’s 70.3 Oregon Clinic, which will include course preview of the bike and run legs, as well as discussion on nutrition, hydration, pacing, and mental preparation. This clinic will start immediately after the swim.

Dates and Times

An alternative ow clinic will be held each morning at Turner Lake for those registered already.

If they are canceling that far in advanced I'd say the river is crazy! But you've got a month, so hopefully that will change.

OMG!! LOL!!

Thanks for the info. I saw those numbers and looked 3 times to make sure I really saw that extra zero!! At that rate, they'll just have to put a lobster trap by the swim exit to catch me!

And yeah I do remember the bacteria count was high too at Choo. I think OR has had a ton of rain lately too. I wonder if they will have the same problem.
2022-06-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them. what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmeter_cd... Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

Dates and Times

OMG!! LOL!!

Thanks for the info. I saw those numbers and looked 3 times to make sure I really saw that extra zero!! At that rate, they'll just have to put a lobster trap by the swim exit to catch me!

And yeah I do remember the bacteria count was high too at Choo. I think OR has had a ton of rain lately too. I wonder if they will have the same problem.

Those are crazy numbers. Perhaps they will advertise the race as "we absolutely guarantee a PR in the swim if you get out of it alive and at the correct exit."
2022-06-13 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Don't panic about Oregon....yet! Unlike most of the rest of the country, we have been having one of the coldest, wettest springs on record. The Salem area had almost two inches of rain last weekend. It's combining with spring snowmelt in the mountains to push the rivers way higher than normal. Our weather tends to turn on a dime at some point (Oregonian joke that in La Nina years, summer starts on July 5), and then it simply doesn't rain until rainy season starts again sometime in the fall. My guess is by the time the race rolls around, things will be back to normal. The Willamette isn't that deep in most places, for most of the year. Water isn't warm and you'd want a wetsuit, but not super-cold either in mid-summer.

Last year was somewhat drier than normal, and on race day there were a few parts that were so shallow most people had to stand up and walk. I swam out in the main channel (a lot of people didn't, preferring to stick closer to shore) and was fine. The worst that happened was I started to get a bit sleepy and cold because I was basically just being pushed by the current--actually pulling and kicking didn't seem to add much to the ride at all, so some of the time I was just streamlining along like a human kayak! It wasn't crazy fast (it was a definite PR though) or dangerous at all.

Edited by Hot Runner 2022-06-13 8:57 PM
2022-06-14 6:43 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Don't panic about Oregon....yet! Unlike most of the rest of the country, we have been having one of the coldest, wettest springs on record. The Salem area had almost two inches of rain last weekend. It's combining with spring snowmelt in the mountains to push the rivers way higher than normal. Our weather tends to turn on a dime at some point (Oregonian joke that in La Nina years, summer starts on July 5), and then it simply doesn't rain until rainy season starts again sometime in the fall. My guess is by the time the race rolls around, things will be back to normal. The Willamette isn't that deep in most places, for most of the year. Water isn't warm and you'd want a wetsuit, but not super-cold either in mid-summer.

Last year was somewhat drier than normal, and on race day there were a few parts that were so shallow most people had to stand up and walk. I swam out in the main channel (a lot of people didn't, preferring to stick closer to shore) and was fine. The worst that happened was I started to get a bit sleepy and cold because I was basically just being pushed by the current--actually pulling and kicking didn't seem to add much to the ride at all, so some of the time I was just streamlining along like a human kayak! It wasn't crazy fast (it was a definite PR though) or dangerous at all.

Thanks for the info!
Can't say I'd be TOO upset if it was cancelled but figures - two fast swims on the circuit - Choo and Salem - one cancelled and one TBD (for they years I compete).
2022-06-14 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Can anyone read these water charts? I mean really read them. what I'm gathering is right now, the water level for the Oregon 70.3 swim is HIGH and FAST. WAY TOO FAST! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/uv/?site_no=14191000&PARAmete... Janyne & AM how fast was the water the year they cancelled the Choo swim?

Dates and Times

OMG!! LOL!! Thanks for the info. I saw those numbers and looked 3 times to make sure I really saw that extra zero!! At that rate, they'll just have to put a lobster trap by the swim exit to catch me! And yeah I do remember the bacteria count was high too at Choo. I think OR has had a ton of rain lately too. I wonder if they will have the same problem.

The 10-day probability forecast looks promising. If that continues through race day...

2022-06-14 12:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
By late July, you will probably be able to stand up in most of the Willamette. Last year, we had very little rain for that whole month and temps on race day featured clear skies and highs in the 80's, morning lows in the 50's. I wouldn't panic unless you are still seeing heavy rains in mid-July. Sunburn is actually more of an issue then. Most of Oregon has really clean air and in dry season, without the haze or humidity and clouds you see elsewhere, you can get fried quite quickly! Cool, wet weather in mid to late July would be really, really unusual for us and would have me re-evaluating my plans for Calgary as well (in that case, because I might well freeze to death if summer hasn't started there yet either).
2022-06-14 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner By late July, you will probably be able to stand up in most of the Willamette. Last year, we had very little rain for that whole month and temps on race day featured clear skies and highs in the 80's, morning lows in the 50's. I wouldn't panic unless you are still seeing heavy rains in mid-July. Sunburn is actually more of an issue then. Most of Oregon has really clean air and in dry season, without the haze or humidity and clouds you see elsewhere, you can get fried quite quickly! Cool, wet weather in mid to late July would be really, really unusual for us and would have me re-evaluating my plans for Calgary as well (in that case, because I might well freeze to death if summer hasn't started there yet either).

Oh! Is Calgary in the table for you then?

2022-06-14 5:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Originally posted by Hot Runner I've almost always worn a one-piece for all distances and really never had a problem with it. You can kind of roll the top as you pull it down so it doesn't get gross at porta-potties. I did change into a singlet and shorts for my full IM run, but it was really quick to pull the whole tri-suit off, get down to jog bra, and then put on run clothes. One thing I would recommend against are the one piece suits for women with built-in bras--they often don't seem designed to fit any actual woman who might fit the rest of the suit, and they can be really tough to pull back up when wet. Probably less common now that a lot of suits have sleeves--I can't visualize how a built-in bra would work with one of those!

I watched some of today’s IM Des Moines and the lead woman used the porta potty while on the run. There was a whole discussion about how tight the suits are and how difficult they can be to get the arms back in bc of the wet and the tightness. The racer actually was pretty good at it, she came out with it down and worked on getting situated as she ran along. My one piece was sleeveless so I didnt have that issue. I have one with sleeves that I’ve only worn a couple of times in training and can attest to the arms being a bit hard to slip into. That said, if I ever do a 70.3 again, I’d probably go back to the suit and just make sure I am careful in the porta potty!

I went with the two piece...better safe than sorry.
2022-06-16 7:57 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Expert
I've always worn a one piece, but I also swim in Lake Huron which might top out at 70F in August. The biggest thig is body glide around the ankles to help take it off. Unless you are in a full IM and have the luxury of strippers.
2022-06-16 2:07 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

By late July, you will probably be able to stand up in most of the Willamette. Last year, we had very little rain for that whole month and temps on race day featured clear skies and highs in the 80's, morning lows in the 50's. I wouldn't panic unless you are still seeing heavy rains in mid-July. Sunburn is actually more of an issue then. Most of Oregon has really clean air and in dry season, without the haze or humidity and clouds you see elsewhere, you can get fried quite quickly! Cool, wet weather in mid to late July would be really, really unusual for us and would have me re-evaluating my plans for Calgary as well (in that case, because I might well freeze to death if summer hasn't started there yet either).

Race is July 10th this year!
But the discharge rate is already starting to come down.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2022-06-16 2:08 PM

2022-06-16 7:17 PM

Finally got my new Garmin 945 LTE in the mail today. So many things to figure out...
2022-06-16 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yikes, didn't realize it was that early. All I know is by the time I got to thinking about summer races, Oregon 70.3 was already full, so I didn't sign up for it. Also, it was a pretty course but I felt like the swim and bike didn't really play to my strengths. They were both kind f chaotic. If you do the race and there haven't been any major changes, you'll see what I mean!

Mom wanted a road trip, so I signed up for Calgary again. Still doubting my sanity. This year has been physically and mentally brutal and my time and energy to train has been pretty limited. Basically I have been doing the long runs/rides/swims but not a lot of total volume, especially the run. I don't think I've done a brick in at least six months. I'm not going to be ready, but hopefully can at least "complete", if not "compete".

Also signed up for Washington 70.3 in September, The timing is bad, but I want to do it if I can--might be a bit fitter by then, knock on wood.
2022-06-17 5:49 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by alaskatri Finally got my new Garmin 945 LTE in the mail today. So many things to figure out...

Oh! Fun! Clearly you need to go golfing now.

2022-06-17 5:50 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yikes, didn't realize it was that early. All I know is by the time I got to thinking about summer races, Oregon 70.3 was already full, so I didn't sign up for it. Also, it was a pretty course but I felt like the swim and bike didn't really play to my strengths. They were both kind f chaotic. If you do the race and there haven't been any major changes, you'll see what I mean! Mom wanted a road trip, so I signed up for Calgary again. Still doubting my sanity. This year has been physically and mentally brutal and my time and energy to train has been pretty limited. Basically I have been doing the long runs/rides/swims but not a lot of total volume, especially the run. I don't think I've done a brick in at least six months. I'm not going to be ready, but hopefully can at least "complete", if not "compete". Also signed up for Washington 70.3 in September, The timing is bad, but I want to do it if I can--might be a bit fitter by then, knock on wood.

Nice! A racecation with Mom!

2022-06-17 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

No known racers this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

2022-06-17 3:21 PM

Originally posted by alaskatri Finally got my new Garmin 945 LTE in the mail today. So many things to figure out...

Oh! Fun! Clearly you need to go golfing now.

Absolutely!!! We are typically playing 3-4 times a week, so I'll definitely be getting to that soon. My daughter has a trip to DC planned next week for a school function, so I imagine we'll be playing a lot of golf next week (she is not really into golf so much). Headed to camp and fish again this weekend at the boat, so hoping for more halibut and whales.
2022-06-17 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No....Rain AGAIN! This is the fourth rainy weekend in a row. Starting to go insane (actually that ship sailed long ago!) School's out, though. One student down with Covid for the last week of school; another went home sick with 45 minutes to go on the last day--came in from recess and said he needed to lie down. One of my livest live wires, so if he says he's sick, it's major. Poor kid. It was his last recess ever (moving on to middle school). Another threw up in the final 5 minutes but her mom claims it was food poisoning. OMG. Good we are out.

For what it's worth, 27 months into the pandemic, my workplace actually gifted me two free Covid test kits. This is the first time I have been offered such a thing. Feeling healthy so far, though. I will test if I don't. I believe I am now the only staff member who hasn't (to my knowledge) gotten Covid. (Knock on wood....) Quite possibly have had it, possibly multiple times, but have never noticed any symptoms that I don't normally get with seasonal allergies, or noticed any abnormal heart rate, fatigue, etc. during training. Who knows?!

Raining torrentially now. If I knew a dance to stop it, I would, for you IM Oregon people!
2022-06-19 2:46 PM

User image

Race is July 10th this year!
But the discharge rate is already starting to come down.

I did Santa Rosa in 2018 so that I could swim under the amazing bridge.

They cancelled the swim.

I signed up for Oregon because I wanted to do a river swim.

If they cancel the swim, it's my fault.

2022-06-19 2:57 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

We got back from our St Thomas/St Croix trip on Wednesday morning at 3:00 am. My goal for the trip was to train like usual, but swim in the ocean instead of the pool.

Didn't happen because I got what I thought was food poisoning the second day we were there. I'm now suspecting it was an allergy to something I ate. I had grouper encrusted in crab on Sunday night. Next morning was okay, but I got worse during the day. I will spare you all the details. Tuesday morning was a bit better, but Tuesday afternoon was not good. I woke up Wednesday feeling 100% normal so we went to St Johns for the day.

I stayed away from fish for the rest of the vacation, but I noticed anytime there was shellfish on the menu at a restaurant, I would start feeling ill after eating again. My husband noticed that the french fries tasted like fish. My sister put two and two together and asked one restaurants if they cooked the other food in the same oil/grill that they did the shellfish. Yep. They said everyone did.

Of course we only had a few days left of our trip before we figured it out. But at least those few days I was fine.

I am 100% sure it's an allergy because the way I felt after eating was how I feel after I did when taking Aleve before we discovered that I was allergic to the Naproxen in Aleve.
2022-06-19 4:09 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by fortissimoWe got back from our St Thomas/St Croix trip on Wednesday morning at 3:00 am. My goal for the trip was to train like usual, but swim in the ocean instead of the pool.Didn't happen because I got what I thought was food poisoning the second day we were there. I'm now suspecting it was an allergy to something I ate. I had grouper encrusted in crab on Sunday night. Next morning was okay, but I got worse during the day. I will spare you all the details. Tuesday morning was a bit better, but Tuesday afternoon was not good. I woke up Wednesday feeling 100% normal so we went to St Johns for the day. I stayed away from fish for the rest of the vacation, but I noticed anytime there was shellfish on the menu at a restaurant, I would start feeling ill after eating again. My husband noticed that the french fries tasted like fish. My sister put two and two together and asked one restaurants if they cooked the other food in the same oil/grill that they did the shellfish. Yep. They said everyone did.Of course we only had a few days left of our trip before we figured it out. But at least those few days I was fine.I am 100% sure it's an allergy because the way I felt after eating was how I feel after I did when taking Aleve before we discovered that I was allergic to the Naproxen in Aleve.
That is totally unfair to be sicknonnyour vacation. Shellfish allergy is insidious and can be really bad. I am.glad you figured it out.

2022-06-19 4:16 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For the Oregon 70.3 folks, I hope I have some good news. It has been raining most of the weekend, as usual. (That's not the good news.) But tomorrow is supposed to be merely cloudy and after that there is no rain in the forecast for the next week, plus somewhat more summer-like temps (70's). I'll believe it when I see it. At this point, we've had 4 rainy weekends in a row, and I can count on one hand the number of days so far this year that it's been nice enough to sit out on our deck without rain gear and multiple warm layers. But if the forecast is on the level, there is probably a chance that the rivers will start to come down soon and might make it back to "normal" in time for the race.
2022-06-19 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo We got back from our St Thomas/St Croix trip on Wednesday morning at 3:00 am. My goal for the trip was to train like usual, but swim in the ocean instead of the pool. Didn't happen because I got what I thought was food poisoning the second day we were there. I'm now suspecting it was an allergy to something I ate. I had grouper encrusted in crab on Sunday night. Next morning was okay, but I got worse during the day. I will spare you all the details. Tuesday morning was a bit better, but Tuesday afternoon was not good. I woke up Wednesday feeling 100% normal so we went to St Johns for the day. I stayed away from fish for the rest of the vacation, but I noticed anytime there was shellfish on the menu at a restaurant, I would start feeling ill after eating again. My husband noticed that the french fries tasted like fish. My sister put two and two together and asked one restaurants if they cooked the other food in the same oil/grill that they did the shellfish. Yep. They said everyone did. Of course we only had a few days left of our trip before we figured it out. But at least those few days I was fine. I am 100% sure it's an allergy because the way I felt after eating was how I feel after I did when taking Aleve before we discovered that I was allergic to the Naproxen in Aleve.

No fair! One is not supposed to get sick on vacation!

2022-06-20 6:15 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

No known racers this week

Is anyone else racing or doing anything else fun this weekend?

No race for me this week but I did the local "Tour De Blueberry" with about 600 of my closest friends. Great event! They have multiple distances. I did 66 miles (closer to 67) and met a lot of nice people. I rode with a woman from Illinois. She was down visiting her son and decided to sign up last minute. It was hot but fun!
2022-06-20 10:12 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

For the Oregon 70.3 folks, I hope I have some good news. It has been raining most of the weekend, as usual. (That's not the good news.) But tomorrow is supposed to be merely cloudy and after that there is no rain in the forecast for the next week, plus somewhat more summer-like temps (70's). I'll believe it when I see it. At this point, we've had 4 rainy weekends in a row, and I can count on one hand the number of days so far this year that it's been nice enough to sit out on our deck without rain gear and multiple warm layers. But if the forecast is on the level, there is probably a chance that the rivers will start to come down soon and might make it back to "normal" in time for the race.

Thanks for the update! Keep us posted
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27144 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93