BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2022-07-30 9:28 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022
Thanks for the cheering! I will need all the help I can get! We made it to Calgary last night after three long days of driving. Mostly scenic and uneventful but it was so HOT! Record was 110 in the Hell's Canyon area of the Idaho panhandle. OMG. Forecast highs of 80's in Calgary. It was 91 when we stopped in Canmore (just down the road from Banff) at about 6 last night. It did cool off quickly and then we had a monster thunderstorm and rainstorm coming into Calgary plus a ton of construction and 20 minute wait while a wreck was cleared. Quite a night. Off to packet pickup and bike check-in soon--IF we can get back on Canada 1, which we can see, but there is no easy access owing to all the orange barrels. Yikes!

For anyone thinking of going to Canada, it was fairly stress-free as long as you file your passport and vaccine document pics and complete the ArriveCAN forms online within 72 hours of arrival. They just scan your passport at the border and good to go. It says on the website that you need to print out the authorization but they didn't want it, just the passports like they always do. It's more troublesome if you are not vaccinated (at least the two basic shots)--several additional layers of formalities in that case.

2022-07-30 12:01 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Thanks for the cheering! I will need all the help I can get! We made it to Calgary last night after three long days of driving. Mostly scenic and uneventful but it was so HOT! Record was 110 in the Hell's Canyon area of the Idaho panhandle. OMG. Forecast highs of 80's in Calgary. It was 91 when we stopped in Canmore (just down the road from Banff) at about 6 last night. It did cool off quickly and then we had a monster thunderstorm and rainstorm coming into Calgary plus a ton of construction and 20 minute wait while a wreck was cleared. Quite a night. Off to packet pickup and bike check-in soon--IF we can get back on Canada 1, which we can see, but there is no easy access owing to all the orange barrels. Yikes!

For anyone thinking of going to Canada, it was fairly stress-free as long as you file your passport and vaccine document pics and complete the ArriveCAN forms online within 72 hours of arrival. They just scan your passport at the border and good to go. It says on the website that you need to print out the authorization but they didn't want it, just the passports like they always do. It's more troublesome if you are not vaccinated (at least the two basic shots)--several additional layers of formalities in that case.

Hopefully the weather cooperates. It's a good thing you spent so many years in SE Asia, so you are prepared for the heat. I'm sure you will have a great race.
2022-07-30 12:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
What kind of tires are you riding? Currently I have Vittoria Graphene, but I'm not happy with them. I've been getting a lot of flats and structurally they don't seem to hold up well.

Edited by JBacarella 2022-07-30 12:04 PM
2022-07-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks for the cheering! I will need all the help I can get! We made it to Calgary last night after three long days of driving. Mostly scenic and uneventful but it was so HOT! Record was 110 in the Hell's Canyon area of the Idaho panhandle. OMG. Forecast highs of 80's in Calgary. It was 91 when we stopped in Canmore (just down the road from Banff) at about 6 last night. It did cool off quickly and then we had a monster thunderstorm and rainstorm coming into Calgary plus a ton of construction and 20 minute wait while a wreck was cleared. Quite a night. Off to packet pickup and bike check-in soon--IF we can get back on Canada 1, which we can see, but there is no easy access owing to all the orange barrels. Yikes! For anyone thinking of going to Canada, it was fairly stress-free as long as you file your passport and vaccine document pics and complete the ArriveCAN forms online within 72 hours of arrival. They just scan your passport at the border and good to go. It says on the website that you need to print out the authorization but they didn't want it, just the passports like they always do. It's more troublesome if you are not vaccinated (at least the two basic shots)--several additional layers of formalities in that case.
Hopefully the weather cooperates. It's a good thing you spent so many years in SE Asia, so you are prepared for the heat. I'm sure you will have a great race.

x2! Are you going to spend any time post-race in Banff? I love it there.

2022-07-30 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella What kind of tires are you riding? Currently I have Vittoria Graphene, but I'm not happy with them. I've been getting a lot of flats and structurally they don't seem to hold up well.

I've got Continental 4000's on my Easton wheels, which I have on my P2. On the Zipp 303s wheels I use when I turn the gravel bike into a road bike, I run Pirelli Cinturato velos.  I've had the 4000s for years without issue. The velos are relatively new (2 years), also no issues.

2022-07-30 4:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
We wanted to but could not find any affordable lodging in Banff or Canmore. We did stop in Canmore for dinner last night, and will probably stop for some food and a stroll or short ride on the bikeway between Canmore and Banff on the way back. Would love to spend more time there, but I'd need to commit earlier to find better deals and/or be less fussy about accomodation. (There were some semi-affordable places with shared bath but I don't want that right now. Everything else was over $300/night.)

2022-07-31 6:11 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerWe wanted to but could not find any affordable lodging in Banff or Canmore. We did stop in Canmore for dinner last night, and will probably stop for some food and a stroll or short ride on the bikeway between Canmore and Banff on the way back. Would love to spend more time there, but I'd need to commit earlier to find better deals and/or be less fussy about accomodation. (There were some semi-affordable places with shared bath but I don't want that right now. Everything else was over $300/night.)
Just NO to a shared bath!!!Have a fantatic race today
2022-07-31 5:34 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations Karen!!!

2022-07-31 6:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Congratulations Karen!!!

Assuming I have her last name right, AG win! Woo hoo!

2022-07-31 9:14 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks! Yes, I did win AG despite the horrible time. The bike course.....It was beyond description! Not the course from previous years. I would have complained about "cruel and unusual punishment" but maybe Canada allows that?! Constant hills and close to 4000 total feet of climbing (and whole course is at 4K to 5K feet). A double loop so every single hill happened twice! Like CDA but with fewer intervals between hills. According to my Garmin, 86 degrees at end of bike and start of run. I was fighting cramps for the entire run--they kept threatening but never quite became nasty enough to really affect things, plus the heat, so was much more cautious than normal--walked a bit at all the aid stations to make sure I got plenty of water down and stuffed ice/sponges into various strategic locations. I found my Mexican "buddies" (did the run with them both years I did it before) and we did most of the run together. Just kept telling myself, "The Canadians will melt." Anyway, I managed to pull it off, probably because no one faster happened to show up. At Mom's encouragement (she is a more optimistic type than I am) I did take the Worlds slot for Finland next year.

So tired! Planning to sleep in. We still have a room in Calgary for tomorrow night, but we might drive go up to Canmore for the day and just do a nice walk on the trail and late lunch, then drive straight through to CDA on Tuesday. Downtown Calgary looked a bit underwhelming. If anyone out there knows otherwise and we'd be missing something more amazing than the Banff-Canmore path (we've ridden it several times, but it never gets old!), let me know!
2022-07-31 11:44 PM

Thanks! Yes, I did win AG despite the horrible time. The bike course.....It was beyond description! Not the course from previous years. I would have complained about "cruel and unusual punishment" but maybe Canada allows that?! Constant hills and close to 4000 total feet of climbing (and whole course is at 4K to 5K feet). A double loop so every single hill happened twice! Like CDA but with fewer intervals between hills. According to my Garmin, 86 degrees at end of bike and start of run. I was fighting cramps for the entire run--they kept threatening but never quite became nasty enough to really affect things, plus the heat, so was much more cautious than normal--walked a bit at all the aid stations to make sure I got plenty of water down and stuffed ice/sponges into various strategic locations. I found my Mexican "buddies" (did the run with them both years I did it before) and we did most of the run together. Just kept telling myself, "The Canadians will melt." Anyway, I managed to pull it off, probably because no one faster happened to show up. At Mom's encouragement (she is a more optimistic type than I am) I did take the Worlds slot for Finland next year.

So tired! Planning to sleep in. We still have a room in Calgary for tomorrow night, but we might drive go up to Canmore for the day and just do a nice walk on the trail and late lunch, then drive straight through to CDA on Tuesday. Downtown Calgary looked a bit underwhelming. If anyone out there knows otherwise and we'd be missing something more amazing than the Banff-Canmore path (we've ridden it several times, but it never gets old!), let me know!

Excellent race, that's fantastic!!!

2022-08-01 7:45 AM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just had to put this in there--here is the elevation profile from my Garmin of the Calgary 70.3 bike. There literally is NO flat place!

(Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.44.09 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 6.44.09 AM.png (93KB - 3 downloads)
2022-08-01 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks! Yes, I did win AG despite the horrible time. The bike course.....It was beyond description! Not the course from previous years. I would have complained about "cruel and unusual punishment" but maybe Canada allows that?! Constant hills and close to 4000 total feet of climbing (and whole course is at 4K to 5K feet). A double loop so every single hill happened twice! Like CDA but with fewer intervals between hills. According to my Garmin, 86 degrees at end of bike and start of run. I was fighting cramps for the entire run--they kept threatening but never quite became nasty enough to really affect things, plus the heat, so was much more cautious than normal--walked a bit at all the aid stations to make sure I got plenty of water down and stuffed ice/sponges into various strategic locations. I found my Mexican "buddies" (did the run with them both years I did it before) and we did most of the run together. Just kept telling myself, "The Canadians will melt." Anyway, I managed to pull it off, probably because no one faster happened to show up. At Mom's encouragement (she is a more optimistic type than I am) I did take the Worlds slot for Finland next year. So tired! Planning to sleep in. We still have a room in Calgary for tomorrow night, but we might drive go up to Canmore for the day and just do a nice walk on the trail and late lunch, then drive straight through to CDA on Tuesday. Downtown Calgary looked a bit underwhelming. If anyone out there knows otherwise and we'd be missing something more amazing than the Banff-Canmore path (we've ridden it several times, but it never gets old!), let me know!

Wow, that sounds like not so much fun! Still, you crushed it despite thinking you had a horrible time. Well done! I'm glad you listened to your mother and took the Worlds slot. Racing in Finland will be amazing.

Regarding Calgary, my only time spent there was driving from the airport to Banff and back again, so I don't have any must sees for you and your mother. I'd go to Banff-Canmore if you are ok with driving today.

2022-08-01 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Just had to put this in there--here is the elevation profile from my Garmin of the Calgary 70.3 bike. There literally is NO flat place!

My Florida brain doesn't understand this profile

2022-08-01 10:45 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks! Yes, I did win AG despite the horrible time. The bike course.....It was beyond description! Not the course from previous years. I would have complained about "cruel and unusual punishment" but maybe Canada allows that?! Constant hills and close to 4000 total feet of climbing (and whole course is at 4K to 5K feet). A double loop so every single hill happened twice! Like CDA but with fewer intervals between hills. According to my Garmin, 86 degrees at end of bike and start of run. I was fighting cramps for the entire run--they kept threatening but never quite became nasty enough to really affect things, plus the heat, so was much more cautious than normal--walked a bit at all the aid stations to make sure I got plenty of water down and stuffed ice/sponges into various strategic locations. I found my Mexican "buddies" (did the run with them both years I did it before) and we did most of the run together. Just kept telling myself, "The Canadians will melt." Anyway, I managed to pull it off, probably because no one faster happened to show up. At Mom's encouragement (she is a more optimistic type than I am) I did take the Worlds slot for Finland next year. So tired! Planning to sleep in. We still have a room in Calgary for tomorrow night, but we might drive go up to Canmore for the day and just do a nice walk on the trail and late lunch, then drive straight through to CDA on Tuesday. Downtown Calgary looked a bit underwhelming. If anyone out there knows otherwise and we'd be missing something more amazing than the Banff-Canmore path (we've ridden it several times, but it never gets old!), let me know!
Congratulations on the AG win and a good race!

2022-08-01 1:32 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by JBacarella What kind of tires are you riding? Currently I have Vittoria Graphene, but I'm not happy with them. I've been getting a lot of flats and structurally they don't seem to hold up well.

When I was new to triathlon I was getting flat tier about every4-6 weeks.  In my first race I got a flat tire at mile 35 then stopped at the mile 40 aid station thinking that there would be bike support their to check out eh tire and make sure everything was in good condition, but there wasn't bike support and the nice lady who was giving out water who tried to help with it probably did more harm than good and at mile 41 I got my 2nd flat of the day.  I had to wait 40 minutes for SAG to catch up with me to get a new tube because I only had carried on with me. When SAG got there he checked things out replaced the rim tape.  I guess that was the actually problem.  After that it was about two years before a saw a flat tier again.  So a lot of flat ties may have less to do with the tier than it does with other considerations.  I also ride on the Continental 4000 tires in training and use the Continental Fore/Attack for racing.                                                                                          

2022-08-01 1:52 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Ya, two guys on the guys I know from the Kiwami Racing team were at that race and I saw both of their bike legs come across Strava.  One of them was saying last week that he is fast than 99% of people on the swim and 95% pf the people on the bike but that because people miss seed themselves for the swim start you has to zig zag through the first portion of the bike course to pass tons of people.  So....I had to see how fast he really was.  Well, his bike split was three minutes slower than the other guy on out race team.  Comparing their bike data I saw how difficult that bike course was.  They had 10% down hill grades where they were going over 50 mph and then they had to do the some thing going up hills where they were going 8 mph.  That makes for a tough 53.1 miles.  Congratulation on the AG win.  Good to see you racing.

2022-08-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I hit 41 mph on one of the downhills and close on a couple of others. For someone my size, that was pretty fast! I saw my share of 8 mph as well! Told my coach it gets the record for "Hardest HIM Course I Have Done" and "Most use of the Granny Gear in a Race"!
2022-08-02 10:46 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

YAY! We're going to Finland
(and by we I mean you and US by association)

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2022-08-02 10:47 AM
2022-08-02 4:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

Wow, wow, wow! This is sooooo exciting! Congrats on qualifying! Finland will be fun!
2022-08-03 8:42 AM
in reply to: canadarn2001

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
This past Sunday I did a 14 mile trail race while my cousin did the 36 (her first ultra). I figured I'd go and at worst have a very nice hike and at best do a little trail running!

Well turns out I found her at mile 5 and she really needed company and wanted to follow me (course split at mile 11). Now she's normally faster than me so I BUSTED MY trying to make sure I was far enough ahead of her not to slow her down and to keep her moving. When we split at mile 11 I was done.

I'm STILL paying for it today (Wednesday). My quads are absolutely trashed. Yesterday I couldn't even kick off the wall in the pool. All my workouts so far have been a disaster. Today I just walked for 2 miles with the dog. Felt ok except on the downhills. Make it stop!

(it is getting slightly better each day but still have a ways to go)

/whining.

Hope you're all having a good week!

2022-08-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk This past Sunday I did a 14 mile trail race while my cousin did the 36 (her first ultra). I figured I'd go and at worst have a very nice hike and at best do a little trail running! Well turns out I found her at mile 5 and she really needed company and wanted to follow me (course split at mile 11). Now she's normally faster than me so I BUSTED MY trying to make sure I was far enough ahead of her not to slow her down and to keep her moving. When we split at mile 11 I was done. I'm STILL paying for it today (Wednesday). My quads are absolutely trashed. Yesterday I couldn't even kick off the wall in the pool. All my workouts so far have been a disaster. Today I just walked for 2 miles with the dog. Felt ok except on the downhills. Make it stop! (it is getting slightly better each day but still have a ways to go) /whining. Hope you're all having a good week!

I have never done any trail races, but I have volunteers to be a pacer at for a 100 mile runners.  Usually when you are pacing someone they are going sooooo much further than you that you have to focus all your effort on not going too fast.  Your cousin must be a beast if you had to bust it to keep ahead of her for the first 11 miles and she was continuing on for another 25 miles after that.  I hope she had a great race.  She is lucky to have such a great cousin.  Hiking would have been a nicer way to enjoy the trail though I am sure. 

2022-08-03 11:08 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by BlueBoy26

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk This past Sunday I did a 14 mile trail race while my cousin did the 36 (her first ultra). I figured I'd go and at worst have a very nice hike and at best do a little trail running! Well turns out I found her at mile 5 and she really needed company and wanted to follow me (course split at mile 11). Now she's normally faster than me so I BUSTED MY trying to make sure I was far enough ahead of her not to slow her down and to keep her moving. When we split at mile 11 I was done. I'm STILL paying for it today (Wednesday). My quads are absolutely trashed. Yesterday I couldn't even kick off the wall in the pool. All my workouts so far have been a disaster. Today I just walked for 2 miles with the dog. Felt ok except on the downhills. Make it stop! (it is getting slightly better each day but still have a ways to go) /whining. Hope you're all having a good week!

I have never done any trail races, but I have volunteers to be a pacer at for a 100 mile runners.  Usually when you are pacing someone they are going sooooo much further than you that you have to focus all your effort on not going too fast.  Your cousin must be a beast if you had to bust it to keep ahead of her for the first 11 miles and she was continuing on for another 25 miles after that.  I hope she had a great race.  She is lucky to have such a great cousin.  Hiking would have been a nicer way to enjoy the trail though I am sure. 

This race actually had no cutoff but she was extremely concerned about being "last" so the goal was to keep moving! This race was dog friendly so her husband brought her dog to her at an aid station at mile 19 and they ran together for the rest. Her overall pace for 36 miles was 16:08 and mine for 11 was 15:46 and I know hers had a nasty hill at the end! I've never really paced anyone before but all I knew was she wasn't going to be last because I let her slack off

(elevation.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
elevation.jpg (24KB - 10 downloads)
2022-08-04 1:08 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

That is about the same pace my brother does for his Ultra Marathons.  He always sets a goal for 14-15 minutes a mile but always drops off that after about 1/3 of the course.  I run with him in the last half of the race so I am doing the 17-18 min/mi paces.  He has never finished last.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2022-08-04 1:09 PM
2022-08-05 3:22 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Anyone racing this weekend? I am skipping the Lake Logan Olympic. I am untrained and I have a funeral to go to
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Racing Manatees - Better Together in 2022 Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2022 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by jmhpsu93
Views: 27166 Posts: 1069

2022-12-30 6:00 AM jmhpsu93